Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

HUGE STORY ON DOMAINS - Business 2.0 on Kevin Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in that case .cm would need to be shut down entirely, as well as .co, .om, .et and .ne.

It is pure type in traffic and if the users click on ads and go somewhere else but don't find what they where looking for, they will try to enter the domain.com again.

Also the .com owner could register the .cm domain if they wanted. But only a few international companies did so in the past. And why is it that nobody give a damn if someone registers a domain which exists or even is a trademark under the .eh extension ?

Domain summit 2024

CashCowDomains

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your right, it would go nowhere, and most visitors would realize they made a mistake by entering a typo, but by seeing a active page, visitors could easily be fooled into thinking they are somewhere where they are not....

This happened to me a few times before I even knew .cm existed, I knew instantly I made a mistake, but the less savvy users dont realize it and click away, diverting traffic away from where the intended to go.

If you can't figure out that you made a typographical error and landed on a page that you did not intend to and don't understand what happened or how to fix it, you need to find something else to do and step away from the computer before you hurt yourself.

CCD

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you can't figure out that you made a typographical error and landed on a page that you did not intend to and don't understand what happened or how to fix it, you need to find something else to do and step away from the computer before you hurt yourself. lol

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are those people out there.....I'd like to know how many clicks Kevin is getting, that should give a good indication.

How many of you are familiar with sitefinder?.....For those that agree with what Kevin is doing, would you also agree that Verisign was justified trying to launch sitefinder?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many of you are familiar with sitefinder?.....For those that agree with what Kevin is doing, would you also agree that Verisign was justified trying to launch sitefinder?

Verisign was different because they were claiming ownership of traffic that in no way could be construed as belonging to them. At least with .cm you cannot say with certainty that the traffic did not intend to go to .cm.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least with .cm you cannot say with certainty that the traffic did not intend to go to .cm.

Actually I think you can. Do you know any .cm site? ;)

But this is different from cybersquatting here since he's not buying the typo domains, but just redirects the traffic, so he doesn't own the names

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I think you can. Do you know any .cm site?

We can make a logical assumption, and of course we would know intuitively that you are correct. But this traffic did actually type in their country code, and we have to assume it was accidental. Verisign was claiming traffic as their own, even though the traffic did nothing (accidental or otherwise) to indicate it would belong to them.

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually I think you can. Do you know any .cm site? ;)

But this is different from sybersquating here since he's not buying the typo domains, but just redirects the traffic, so he doesn't own the names

quick...sybersquating.com is available...premium generic :)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Verisign was different because they were claiming ownership of traffic that in no way could be construed as belonging to them. At least with .cm you cannot say with certainty that the traffic did not intend to go to .cm.

I understand what your saying, its there TLD and whatever comes there way should belong to them right? but I would think you can make the same argument about Verisign, since they control the .com until 2012, whatever comes there way should go to them too. Both Verisign and Cameroon use a wildcard, that catches URL typos and serves ads to it, only difference is one service feeds off a mistyped domain and the other a mistyped TLD.

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Verisign does so under a contract, because they were chosen by ICANN (for whatever reason). Cameroon, unlike Versisign, has an (inalienable) right (if you belive in nation states' rights), to own and manage their tld.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Verisign does so under a contract, because they were chosen by ICANN (for whatever reason). Cameroon, unlike Versisign, has an (inalienable) right (if you belive in nation states' rights), to own and manage their tld.

A point well taken, which leads me to my next question, Does ICANN have restrictions on CC TLD's, or can they place restictions before or after a TLD is assigned?, if you have a link on this subject, please provide one, I'd be interested in reading it.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks Typist!

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you guys remember geo domain name: Vancouver.com was one of the
highest sales few yerars ago, it was sold for $550k or something like that.

Kevin Ham just complete a purchase of this domain name few weeks ago. I don't knwo for how much it was sold, but this sale was around 5-10 mln at least. The company that had this name -Intrawest, had many people employed, they had also a call center
to sell travel packages in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators