Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed I just got it, please appraise.

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
buy-it-now.net
I know it is a double hyphend domain, however, buy-it-now is a strong phrase, isn't it?
;)
thanks

Domain summit 2024

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i don't see that name going anywhere...here's a general rule: don't register dashed domains...especially with the .net extension. GL

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
alldig is only partially correct..hyphen names are fine..just make sure that
you dont reg a hyphen name if you want to use it for a company name..youll never get people to do to whatever-whatever.com

Hyphenated domains are used specifically for placement in the search engines when you have two words (keywords)that are both words that people will actually use in their search..

I own Baseball-Posters.com for example.. people actually search using the words baseball and posters together..

buy-it-now? does anyone search "buy" "it" "now" ...would you ever type that into a search engine? It's hard enough getting traffic without registering obscure nonsensical domains.

Before you purchase anymore domains go here http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

You can type in anything and see how many times it was searched for the previous month on goto/overture..

It is simply a tool ..one part of the equation..but in some respects the most important part...you need to determine if there is even a MARKET for what it is you are trying to sell or provide information about...

Get a solid base of understanding keywords and how they can help you in finding appropriate domains..

"cute" domains .."catchy" domains are an entirely different ..stick with solid names you can visualize product or information and you'll have a solid base for either developing domains yourself or providing some inherent value for resell .

Good Luck...

BID

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
*NOTE*
all my appraisals are based on resale value...not search engine placement, type ins, overture stats, etc...so once again...don't register hypenated domains if you plan to resell them...GL

agree with alldig, hypenated domains seem to have little resale value in the main, made worse by the .net extension.

G

gbrott

hyphens are good for search engines, bad for company names (like bidawinner says). Unfortunately - buy-it-now is not a product name so search engine stuff doesn't do much for you.

Hyphens are good for both the search engine placement, and search engine clicks - for example, if there are 5 sites listed selling baseball posters, and 4 are called "sportsunlimited, baseballcentral etc.) and one is baseball-posters.com - the person who has the best domain will get the most clicks.

I have a site with 8 advertisers. The site with the best name gets TWICE AS MANY CLICKTHRUS. For no other reason than he has the best name.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>I have a site with 8 advertisers. The site with the best name gets TWICE AS MANY CLICKTHRUS. For no other reason than he has the best name.

Good point gbrott.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
alldig- I think you are to restrictive on your no hyphens..YOU may not want them but if they are appropriate keywords used together there is indeed a market for them..

Iive had offers for 3 of my domains with hyphens..including Baseball-Posters.com all the time.. I do agree getting the .net is pointless (unless of course you own the .com)

The ONLY reason someone would not want a hyphenated would be if all they dealt in were true type-in domains..which are all hoarded already anyways..and you have to "invest" in first..

the problem is MOST domains have no "natural" typein value what so ever anyways...so whether you own BaseballPosters.com or Baseball-Posters.com makes NO difference other than perception.. to those that dont know any better..(I know I owned them in this example)

So yes.. you can register hyphenated domains and even sell them..but no one is making money selling domains anyways...that mentality should not even be in a "newbie" selling a domain every few months for $100 is what most do..(after spending thousands) theres no real market ..a little bit of swaping between domain speculators but no market is driving a purchase spree of after market domains even .coms

If you are not using your domains ..your losing money.. (for 99.9% of aftermarketers

The domain aftermarket has collapsed.. pure and simple and will never come back like it was 3 years ago

The REAL value in a domain(even foir resale) is the bottom line..

The very first question buyers are asking is ..I want to see your trafficc logs and how much revenues is it bringing in..

offers for domains without traffic whether typ-is or not are simply few and far between...

sorry to brighten everyones day ;)

BID

Maybe I'm wrong maybe thats only been my experiance.but hey I am on a resellers board and even here thereis only a speckling of sales going through..

Mike.. what I dont understand is your resale value model..if you arent basing it upon typeins, (natural traffic) se placement (placement work already done) overture stats (is there a market)

Then what do use to base the value?

BID

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IN RESPONSE TO:
Mike.. what I dont understand is your resale value model..if you arent basing it upon typeins, (natural traffic) se placement (placement work already done) overture stats (is there a market)
Then what do use to base the value?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I base it on my personal experience with sales in the past, uniqueness of the domain, generic words/terms, length of the domain, extension, countless observations of past sales by other resellers, etc.... And you are wrong...buyers do not ask for traffic logs and how much "revenue" the domain is getting unless the seller claims it was previously developed. If a domain has inherent value the need for traffic logs seems irrelevant. I just sold BoatShow.org for $500 yesterday and this domain has NO type in traffic or search engine links. How so? The domain obviously has intrinsic value. The domain aftermarket HAS NOT collapsed...it may not be as strong as it used to be but DNforum.com isn't a great place to base your opinions on whether the market it up or down. Most of these people have names not worth regging even if you are scared to admit it. If i'm hurting your feelings please stop reading this reply and keep the false sense of value you seem to have in your domains.

In mainstream, I've found the only people who ask for traffic figures are generally other domainers, hobby webmasters or lowballers - the bigger buyers buy because they want the recognition/association of the name to use within their own marketing.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So your model is based on "inherent" value ..which of course is subjective

The domain market has in fact collapsed to say otherwise is clearly denial..

I have no false sense of value..my domains make me money EVERY day..I dont sit on my arese squeezing my left nut because I sold a domain $500 every few months..

The bottom line is SERIOUS ask SERIOUS questions...how much type-ins does it receive, if it is developed how mmuch traffic , ranking, links and revenue..

BID

BID

Those are questions for smaller buyers - larger buyers have marketing budgets that they can use to generate traffic. The domains are a tool to help rather than the source.

And they pay more than $500.

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give me evidence of this collapse? Does the fact that many of these speculators with crap domains losing vast amounts of money prove that the market is down? Ask any big player whether the market has collapsed...see what response you get.

Your "SERIOUS QUESTION" comment made no sense to me so I have no response...

The issue of inherency is indeed subjective...but if you know what you're doing and have been around long enough it's common sense. Experiences with buying and selling gives you a great idea of what domains are worth...ask me, safesys, goh, aactive, and other people who have been in the domain game for awhile...you will find that most of us will agree with eachother whether a name has potential or not. Now is that coincidence or common sense? You tell me.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, saf..but the fact is large buyers are far and few in between..
and if the Domain already has no type-ins ..no traffic, no ranking etc.. then even the larger buyers can simply register any cute name they want for $8 .. and with their marketing budgets generate traffic..

The old models are just that.. old..the new buyers are considerable more sophisticated and realize they can simply market any name they want with out spending thousands ...

Show me the(recent ) sales of domains with no history for more than a couple thousand..just not happening..

I dont mean 1 or 2 in the overall after market..big deal..show me SALES to prove ..

The most recent was DRKoop.com for 186,000 and that included the entire business ! they purchased it because it gets
Vitacost said the old DrKoop.com site currently attracts more than 900,000 visitors per month and has a database of more than 2 million registered users. !

according to alldig..drkop.com would have no value because he dosent count traficc ! LOL

Like I said...some are living in denial..

Develop your domains and you have a steady flow of income and a BASE for future resale..

everything else is wishful thinking..

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bidawinner...i believe you read my disclaimer falsely...These are RESALE APPRAISALS FOR THE NAME ITSELF on this appraisal board. I do not even look to see if the site is developed...I pretend that the name I'm looking at was just registered yesterday and go from there. Try reading again...here's an arrow to aid you.

--
--
--
--
--
\/

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike , Ive been in the domain business for 3 years ..I know what it's about..you arent making squat..thats the bottom line..

You can pretend to everyone that there is this big market ...but the FACTS are the market collapsed..

The ONLY doamins with true inherent value are the top tier typ-in .coms of which you dont own any ..but dont feel bad MOST dont own any..

If you did your site would be Domains.com not domainhighyway.com

Everyone raise your hand that used the words "domain highway" in your last search for domains? !!

BID

Inherent domain value is very different to developed domain value.

DrKoop.com has no (or very little) inherent value - but great developed value thanks to the marketing efforts of its former owner.

You miss the point when you talk about registering a $8 domain - the vanity is in having the .com that matches the company/product/service root term (why change a products marketing when you can buy the domain?) - and those are what were registered a long time ago if its common/descriptive/generic.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL..alldig you can claim all day that that you only value on the "name" till you turn blue..I'm telling you your apprassials junk if they arent based on something more than how you "feel" about a domain..

But hey if it makes you happy..more power top you..

I prefer cash ..EVERYDAY..

BID

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Alright bigshot...let's see a list of your domains and domains sold...I see you are an experienced player from your Posters.biz name. If I keep selling names how did the market collapse? You don't have and will never have the evidence to back your statement up so don't even argue.

LOL...i'm not making squat ? Take a look on my recent domains sold list and try again.

I registered domainhighway.com last year and I have no intention to resell the name...it's for personal use only and I realize that it has no resale value. It's funny that you say that though since most end users come from search engines. Once again, I guess i have NO IDEA what i'm doing.

This thread is turning into a peeing contest.

If you are making $1 a day from your domains and someone sells 1 domain a month for $31 you are on equal footing revenue wise. And the same plays for multiples of each.

The only real benchmark is revenue - if you're happy with your revenue you're doing something right. If not, then you're doing something wrong. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom