Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

IDN .com with OVT over 10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand, we have different strategies then :) .
What is your experience about the validity of the OVT + ext results ?
Can you correlate the results in any way ?

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bramiozo said:
When I use the overture tool on the simplified version it gives nothing, not even without the extension. When I search in google, the first results actually show the chinese traditional/japanese translation.

So chinese traditional is equal to japanese in this case and it is treated the same as the simplified version. Explains the amount of search results :) .
This should indicate that the simplified version .com is blocked due to variant overlap, it is not blocked, actually you own it ! (twilight music in background...)

Does your variant get any traffic ?

What is your domain??? Google does an incorrect translation for the word 'technique'. It interprets technique as 'technology'. I'm not sure about the Japanese meaning though - i would have to take a look at Japanese sites and then obtain the meaning from there.

No one playing with Asian domains can correlate OVT with traffic - since most people do not and do not know about Punycode.

Besides using OVT, i would also check if there is commercial value to the domain, for example, i registered a bunchful of insurance/mortgage related domains in Japanese even though they are phrases, and most had only OVTs of 10k-20k (nothing to shout about).

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bramiozo said:
This should indicate that the simplified version .com is blocked due to variant overlap, it is not blocked, actually you own it ! (twilight music in background...)

Does your variant get any traffic ?

Sorry,

If you mean:

xn--2qu37h.com 技术 technology / technique / skill /

then it wasn't properly parked!

Actually looking at this in Yahoo and only returning the results for one specific language at time Technology seems to be the best translation for each of Simplified, Traditional and Japanese characters, yours and mine.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's 技術.com, technology is probably the best translation, bummer :) .

I meant, can you correlate the OVT +ext with the traffic because somehow this in general should be an indication of the traffic ?
Higher ovt +ext means more type-ins (at this moment) ?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
技術 is hot according to 3721.com Scores practical maximum of 1200. Whether or not it is the best translation of Technology, it is certainly worth money!!!

Yours does map to mine, but they were both created before the block was introduced. I registered first, so I can relax on any TM issues :). Generally, Simple Variants are going to be worth more than Traditional because of the type-in. In terms of search and ranking they are both equivalent. Because yours would also appear to work in Japanese it is probably of equal value.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I may be dense, but I am not figuring out how to use this tool. (3721.com)

Every term that I type in it gives me the same page as results.
A little help please on how to use it. Thanks.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
技術 is hot according to 3721.com Scores practical maximum of 1200. Whether or not it is the best translation of Technology, it is certainly worth money!!!

Yours does map to mine, but they were both created before the block was introduced. I registered first, so I can relax on any TM issues :). Generally, Simple Variants are going to be worth more than Traditional because of the type-in. In terms of search and ranking they are both equivalent. Because yours would also appear to work in Japanese it is probably of equal value.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Thanks for the reassurance Dave :) .

I also have no idea how 3721.com works.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just paste in the keyword and search. You need the result in red on the left. First search needs to be repeated as the red figures come up very small first time. Results between 0 and 1200ish.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In regard to SERP vs PPC bids vs Overture, I think you guys are all correct, in that a balance should be achieved and that any one measure is not the definitive yardstick.

SERP: as Dave pointed out, an ubiquitous character or word like '大' (big) with no real commercial value will return 50mm results.

PPC: remember 'mesothelioma'? Something that pays well today may not pay as well tomorrow. That said, quality generics like Olney's 'haken' will probably always do well. The message? Go with the quality generic. Nothing new there.

Overture: I haven't noticed a positive correlation between large overture and more type-ins with IDN. The most type-ins I get are for a common household piece of furniture with a simplified ovt of 1,500. In contrast, a term with 150,000 ovt gets no type-ins.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All thks to Olney, i reg ドット.com (the dot in the dot com). OVT 3265, OVT w/ext 177.

Found it when i was searching for the .com. Donating F$80.

Now i can have 日本.ドット.com, or Japan dot com. :party: :party: :party:

Donated F$200. Geee, i dunno what these F$ are for anyway. :)

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Just paste in the keyword and search. You need the result in red on the left. First search needs to be repeated as the red figures come up very small first time. Results between 0 and 1200ish.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Thanks Dave, I realize now it's the search on the right of the first page (3721.com) and not the search in the middle were you have to imput numbers on the next page. I kept doing that and wasn't getting anywhere. Great tool once you help me realize that.

On another note microsoft released a big blog about idn's
Topic Link

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Do you receive any traffic on your Indian IDN names?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
drbiohealth said:
Hi Dave,

Do you receive any traffic on your Indian IDN names?

Yes, there is a modest amount. Not enough to support registration costs, but enough to know the system works and that there are some people out there do type-in. What the nature of the traffic is, I am not sure. May just be individual experimenting with navigation using IDN or speculators testing a few URLs. At present we are are certainly not talking about half the sub-continent typing in, but it would seem reasonable to assume that there are at least some compatible input devices in circulation.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

One more thing, tell me how people will type HindiIDN.com with a hindi keyboard? To type "HindiIDN" with a hindi keyboard will be routine, however, how will ".com" (which is in english) be typed with a hindi keyboard?? Looks confusing to me?

Do you only collect IDNs or sell them as well?

Cheers!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
drbiohealth said:
Hi Dave,

One more thing, tell me how people will type HindiIDN.com with a hindi keyboard? To type "HindiIDN" with a hindi keyboard will be routine, however, how will ".com" (which is in english) be typed with a hindi keyboard?? Looks confusing to me?

Do you only collect IDNs or sell them as well?

Cheers!

There has been some interest in Indic Script Domains, but we haven't managed to agree a price yet. If they are going to worth anything, the calibre of domains that we think we have will worth holding onto for the time being.

Most local keyboards will be bilingual, in India they are talking about a Universal Keyboard that will handle all the script and have LED displays on the keys.

At the moment the COM can only be typed in Latin Script but in the near future it will be aliased or mapped into local characters, which your browser will convert to punycode and the mapping will resolved at the DNS root. By the time the Indian Internet is really getting all this will already be in place.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting vtrader! Well, it seems that ".com" part of the domain will be mapped to something in hindi? However, by looking at one of those keyboards, it appears that ".com" will not sound as ".com" in spoken form..:(. Can that be a handicap?

As a parallel,

1. What do japnese/chinese use - a keyboard in japnese/chinese?
2. How do they type ".com" of english using their keyboards? And, does the word that they type on their keyboards, sound like ".com" in spoken form?

Or is it that you guys think the sound of ".com" does not matter much??

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
drbiohealth said:
That's pretty interesting vtrader! Well, it seems that ".com" part of the domain will be mapped to something in hindi? However, by looking at one of those keyboards, it appears that ".com" will not sound as ".com" in spoken form..:(. Can that be a handicap?

No, I think what the extension sounds-like is probably irrelevant.

drbiohealth said:
As a parallel,

1. What do japnese/chinese use - a keyboard in japnese/chinese?
2. How do they type ".com" of english using their keyboards? And, does the word that they type on their keyboards, sound like ".com" in spoken form?

Or is it that you guys think the sound of ".com" does not matter much??

1. Yes. Or a keyboard overlay. Or a virtual keyboard.
2. They switch between keyboard mapping with a couple of keystrokes.

The switching between keyboard mapping will become redundant once DNS start resolving native character extensions.

You may want to search through previous threads, as we've discussed this at length.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone encountered the problem in trying to register Arabic phrases, when 2 words will become another word when the spacing is removed???

:-O

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
touchring said:
Has anyone encountered the problem in trying to register Arabic phrases, when 2 words will become another word when the spacing is removed???

:-O

Arabic is easy! You just register with the spaces!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom