Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

IDN .com with OVT over 10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dave,

Where do see Indian domain market 3 years down the line? Which of these would be most sought after and traffic generating?

English.com
English.in
English.co.in
IDN.com
IDN.in
IDN.co.in

Are you betting big on India? Inspired by you, I have registered my first IDN as "car. com" in hindi. Any potential it has??

Cheers!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
drbiohealth said:
Dave,

Where do see Indian domain market 3 years down the line? Which of these would be most sought after and traffic generating?

English.com
English.in
English.co.in
IDN.com
IDN.in
IDN.co.in

Are you betting big on India? Inspired by you, I have registered my first IDN as "car. com" in hindi. Any potential it has??

Cheers!

Yes, that should be good. I have tried this but probably ended up with incorrect translations.

xn--i2bv.com रथ car chariot
xn--31bph3cl9fp6f.com मोटरगाडी car
xn--31buzu3c5abeo.com पहियागाडी car

However, I think I am on the money with the Urdu:

xn--mgbu27a.com کار Car

My personal belief is that traffic and value will go in this order when the Indian Market matures.

IDN.com
IDN.in
English.in
IDN.co.in
English.com
English.co.in

Of course there is always scope for being wrong. Much depends on the languages of course. Hindi will be the biggest, Bangla, Telugu, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil and Kannada are also likely to important. I also think that Urdu/Farsi will be big (this already get loads of US Overture).

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dave,

Well, your domains also mean "car" in a way but are not generally used in spoken hindi. I think you have it correct in urdu though I am not totally sure.
Why don't you initiate an IDN domain conference?
Cheers!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, but I don't have Rick's resources, at least not yet!

Olney, however, has opened an IDN specific forum at idnforums.com

Yes, I was going to let these drop. We registered without back up data, but there are no vital signs.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Arabic is easy! You just register with the spaces!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

I'm afraid it's not possible, i've tried, but the space must be removed before it can be registered???

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
touchring said:
I'm afraid it's not possible, i've tried, but the space must be removed before it can be registered???

Something worrying going on. I have registered these in the past, but now they are not Whoising and I cannot locate them. It has been established that Arabic must have spaces, but it looks as though some idiot is screwing with the system!
The used to have additional hyphens at the front, ie xn--- for two words and xn---- for three words. Don't know but it look like someone has relieved themselves all over my parade!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DS will still generate the punycode for arabic domains with space, and as you said it will add hyphens after the xn-. This happens not just for Arabic domains, but also Chinese or any other idns. However, the domains will be shown as registered - except there is no whois data.

a2zofb2b

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
drbiohealth said:
Dave,

English.com
English.in
English.co.in
IDN.com
IDN.in
IDN.co.in

Cheers!
My take on the indian market is

Hinglish.com (Hindi word in English)
English.com
English.in
English.co.in
Hinglish.in
IDN Names with their own extension
IDN.com
IDN.in

With IDN names, unless it is developed you may not get any typein traffic.
It will be very rare that people will type खोज.com, they will either enters खोज.कॉम or just खोज.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a2zofb2b said:

English.com
English.in
English.co.in
Hinglish.in
IDN.com
IDN.in

It will be very rare that people will type खोज.com, they will either enters खोज.कॉम or just खोज.
you sure? Just like english is native to many ppl maybe an idn language is familiar to another country's language.

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I think it all depends on how actively hindi gets percolated to the masses in the smaller cities of India with regard to "computer usage". It has to happen eventually, as India is rising economically and would perhaps want to preserve its identity just to stand out in some sense. Infact, any country at that level would want to do that. USA did it by changing the very words of English..:). China is already doing it. Germany does that. Let's see.

Good part is that Indian government is realising that interoperability of its operations in different states must be done in local languages. This issue was taken up when Billy visited India this time. They say, Microsoft is making a special Indian version of the Operating System catering to India specific needs. Noises perhaps in the right direction..!

The only grey area I see is the proper definition and categorisation of domain extensions. Like, ".com" should have an equivalent in hindi for people to type using hindi keyboard. Would it be ".कॉम" or would it be hindi letters on the keys that correspond to ".com" in English. Aside, what happens to the "www" of the address. Translating that in hindi perhaps becomes even more cumbersome. Unless, these things get sorted out fast, hindi IDNs will remain dormant. How do chinese, Koreans type "www"?

Bottomline is, if the IDNs can become successfull elsewhere, I see no reason why they can't in India!

And who says India masses will not have the buying power! Check these out.
http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/dec/23inter.htm
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1342884,curpg-1.cms

Cheers!

a2zofb2b said:

English.com
English.in
English.co.in
Hinglish.in
IDN.com
IDN.in

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
a2zofb2b said:

English.com
English.in
English.co.in
Hinglish.in
IDN.com
IDN.in

My Japanese and Chinese idns get type-in traffic on a weekly basis - otoh, my .US never get type-in after many mths, except for 1 or 2 bots.

As for Arabic idns, i got a few US OVT 2k to 95k, but i have not parked them (sedo doesn't accept arabic), so i dunno, but feedback from several other domainers imply traffic.

Of course, all the idns i talked about had OVT, i can't seem to get OVT for Hindi terms though. OVT should be accurate for India, Yahoo being very popular in India. My guess is that native speakers do online searches in English, even if they were to write letters or post on forums in Hindi.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No for some reason I don't get any Overture for Hind whatsoever. I get it for Urdu in bucket fulls and we also get it on Thai.

Yahoo maybe big in India, but they have only recently indexed the Indic scripts and I suspect that any Hindi searches are not yet being recorded.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

a2zofb2b said:

English.com
English.in
English.co.in
Hinglish.in
IDN.com
IDN.in

As the IDN is intended to allow accessibility of the internet beyond the English Speaking Elite, and the requirement for this is recognised not only by The Indian Government, but also ICANN and all the major American Internet Companies, this is difficult to understand. If these domains are more accessible then they will get more traffic not less.

All bilingual keyboards enable you to switch, but never fear ICANN will soon make a decision on how to implement the Aliasing of Dot Com and other TLDs into not just Hindi, but probably about another dozen or so native scripts.

As for the order of languages posted. I find it a little absurd. You seem to understand that there will be a massive demand for terms comprehensible to Hindi speakers but denythat Hindi itself might provide a solution. You also seem to neglect the needs of the two thirds of Indians that do not speak Hindi.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The lack of OVT for Hindi is a problem - how is it possible to know that a term is a popular one?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a problem. But I was investing when they wouldn't search on Google.

The ealier you get in the higher the rewards but you also need to take more risk.

I am dumping loads of Hindi because there Google searches have under-performed, in relation to the rest of the portfolio. Mind you I probably new that some of these were not the No 1 term when I bought them.

More recently the only domains that I have bought have been from identification of terms that are difficult to find in dictionaries.

Be wary of Wikipedia, as a lot of the translations on there are dodgy. The best translations are to be found from other sources. There are some tips on this at the Members Only on IDNForums.com

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Indic Script do, however, appear to be supported.

ಕಂಪ್ಯೂಟರ್ Computer in Kannada the language of Bangalore got 40 Searches last month!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Actually, I have now got Overture on Hindi as well!

समाचार news 37

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

xn--w8b6a6hxe3d.com ਅੰਕੜਾ Statistics 77

Punjabi this time!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom