Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

IDN .com with OVT over 10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am looking to register some IDN domains and don't know which one I should go for becuase many of the premium words are still available

I have found many IDN with OVT without extension over 10,000

and many with google over 1,000,000

do you think it is a good idea to register these or I better go back to the english ones?

another question

Is there many domainers who hasn't added any IDN to their portfolio like me or I am really late? :)

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i own idnenabled.com and it receives only occasional type-ins. idn is still in the infant stage imo.

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mark said:
i own idnenabled.com and it receives only occasional type-ins. idn is still in the infant stage imo.

idnenabled.com wouldn't recieve any traffic and has nothing to do with my question

I was asking about IDNs which are in chinese or arabic alphabet

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gotasale said:
idnenabled.com wouldn't recieve any traffic and has nothing to do with my question

I was asking about IDNs which are in chinese or arabic alphabet

It is still relatively easy to find unregistered japanese or korean idns that have jp and kr OVT exceeding 100,000.

For Chinese idns, ovt only works for traditional chinese, and myself i've just registered one with a tw ovt exceeding 1,000,000.

As for Arabic idns, a domain with a us ovt of more than 2000 might be worth registering.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
touchring said:
It is still relatively easy to find unregistered japanese or korean idns that have jp and kr OVT exceeding 100,000.

For Chinese idns, ovt only works for traditional chinese, and myself i've just registered one with a tw ovt exceeding 1,000,000.

As for Arabic idns, a domain with a us ovt of more than 2000 might be worth registering.

Try cutting and pasting this into the US Overture Tool and you'll see what Arabic is about:

العاب

Unfortunately, I only have the dot net.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is an exception rather than the rule. :)

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
touchring said:
This is an exception rather than the rule. :)

Maybe, but you might also try:

دردش

And please don't forget that this is US Overture tool, no Chinese or Japanese names are getting anywhere close to these figures on this arena. Furthermore, Yahoo has only just indexed Arabic for search, so frankly it is really quite extraordinary.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a huge lack of interest in Hebrew names even though many words have outstanding US ovt as well.

Check out: גוגל
Ovt Link

I picked up a few other hot keywords also.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
I have noticed a huge lack of interest in Hebrew names even though many words have outstanding US ovt as well.

Ovt Link

I noticed that many of the top generic .us are registered by israelis.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:

Ovt Link

Both are languages that are written in right to left script, so proper implmentation is just about inconceivable without IDN.IDN. Farsi and Urdu are also in this group.

Yes, some of it is almost certainly to do with the number of US residents that speak these languages.

Of course to count the US Jewish community as Hebrew Speakers would mean that you would first have to acknowledge that the World's English Speakers have been overestimated, otherwise you would have to count them all twice.

Personally, I am unable to gauge to what extent the Jewish community in the US and elsewhere would use Hebrew to access the internet. I do know that the population of Israel is actually quite small, so for Hebrew to become a major force for accessing the internet, it would require adoption throughout the Western World.

With Arabic, this is definitely not the case, as there are about two dozen countries in the world where Arabic is the dominant form of communication and the official language.

The Arabic internet has trailed behind in its development, but it now seems to be catching up quite quickly. I have Arabic domains with keywords that do about 9 Million Google, so the level of Arabic content has grown very significantly and it is probably now the fastest growing sector on the internet.

The higher price of crude oil will almost certainly increase the consumption of high-tech goods in many of these countries, which will mean that not only are people going to be accessing the internet in Arabic, but marketing will be increasing focused on this segment of the internet.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gotasale said:
I am looking to register some IDN domains and don't know which one I should go for becuase many of the premium words are still available

I have found many IDN with OVT without extension over 10,000

and many with google over 1,000,000

do you think it is a good idea to register these or I better go back to the english ones?

another question

Is there many domainers who hasn't added any IDN to their portfolio like me or I am really late? :)

I would be surprised to find great generic single term chinese or japanese with high OVT still available, but there are still many compound terms available with high OVT.

For instance, almost all Japanese cities without the 'city' appended were taken long ago. Same with Chinese cities.

With compound terms, you have to ensure the order of terms is correct, and do a little analysis on stop-words and whether or not they should be included on a case-by-case basis.

As for OVT -- 10,000 is not high in Chinese or Japanese. I would raise the bar to at least 20k but leave it as a soft floor as it's not the end-all.

When the simplified chinese tool was working, 'finance' produced an ovt of only 3,720 whereas 'shanghai property' produced an ovt of 37,217. I think the former will do better in the long-run despite the low score.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
vtrader said:
As for OVT -- 10,000 is not high in Chinese or Japanese. I would raise the bar to at least 20k but leave it as a soft floor as it's not the end-all.

When the simplified chinese tool was working, 'finance' produced an ovt of only 3,720 whereas 'shanghai property' produced an ovt of 37,217. I think the former will do better in the long-run despite the low score.

Making no apologies for snaffling and flogging Chinese Cities.

10K is not overly ambitious for Chinese Ovt, if and when it is up and running again. we have about 30 domains that reached the 100K, with one hitting seven figures. Early days and all Chinese Overture figures will inflate significantly with time.

For the 10K mark we have nearly 200 domains.

I fully agree that getting the right generic keywords is actually more important. Whilst Overture figurea are a good guide, along with Google and 3721.com as to whether you have the correct translations, they are not the be all and end all of everything. There are two sides to the market. Supply of searches and clicks on one hand, and revenue bids on the other. If there are no Google Adwords or Overture Bids then Overture Searches are not very useful.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mark said:

I don't think 'idnenabled.com' is a relevant canary-in-the-mine.

IDN may be in the infant stages, but all the great and good single-term generics have been taken long-ago.

Good luck!

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any idea if IDN names would ever take center stage in india

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
drbiohealth said:
Any idea if IDN names would ever take center stage in india

The experience elsewhere suggests that people, given the option will always access the Internet in their native tongue, whether or not they are English Literate.

India is late in developing IDN because of the huge amount of work required to standardise Indic scripts into Unicode. The Indian languages have only recently been indexed by the major search engines, and the amount of web content in these languages is comparatively small.

At, the moment Internet use in India is very much focused on a Elite Class, who are very comfortable accessing the Internet in English. The Indian Government, however, recognises that to widen access to the Internet use of local languages and the adoption of IDN are critical.

HIndi, is the most obvious language to get involved with because it has the largest number of speakers. We have, however, invested in some of the other languages as you can still get the very best keywords. We believe we have the equivalent of Sex.com in some. We have extended into Bengali, Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil and Kannada.

Your main consideration in whether to invest in these languages is whether you believe India to be a Homogeous English Speaking country, or one with a diverse cultural and linguistic background. If you want to invest the time is now. The best keywords won't be there forever!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Making no apologies for snaffling and flogging Chinese Cities.

10K is not overly ambitious for Chinese Ovt, if and when it is up and running again. we have about 30 domains that reached the 100K, with one hitting seven figures. Early days and all Chinese Overture figures will inflate significantly with time.

For the 10K mark we have nearly 200 domains.

I fully agree that getting the right generic keywords is actually more important. Whilst Overture figurea are a good guide, along with Google and 3721.com as to whether you have the correct translations, they are not the be all and end all of everything. There are two sides to the market. Supply of searches and clicks on one hand, and revenue bids on the other. If there are no Google Adwords or Overture Bids then Overture Searches are not very useful.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

OVT is only representative in China as Yahoo's market share in China is many times much lower than in Japan or Korea.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, everyone takes Overture as being the Gospil, but there is a great deal of uncertainty about what these figures actually represent. Certainly, Yahoo will not have access to stats from Google and Baidu. It may, however, have data from 3721.com.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
vtrader said:
I would be surprised to find great generic single term chinese or japanese with high OVT still available, but there are still many compound terms available with high OVT.

For instance, almost all Japanese cities without the 'city' appended were taken long ago. Same with Chinese cities.

With compound terms, you have to ensure the order of terms is correct, and do a little analysis on stop-words and whether or not they should be included on a case-by-case basis.

For the past 1 mth, i've registered the leftover 50 largest japanese cities and prefecture with the 'shi' and 'ken' - a combined OVT of 1.6 million. Several largers cities and prefectures had OVT >60,000.

I did that when i saw that the Japanese have takened/reserved all the domains with .jp with and without 'shi' or 'ken'. I guess most of the .com were predominantly registered by foriegners and many did not know that Japanese called their cities with the word 'city' in it, and so the domains with 'city' in them will have more type-in traffic.

I'm still considering what to do with my mini-japan, and pondered over a few possibilities, like redirecting them back to their official city websites, or create a small hotel/travel website with adsense, and hope to earn some type-in revenue.

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
touchring said:

thanks all of you for input

but Is there a way where you can find top OVT IDN words?

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

You seem to have done a good deal of research on Indian society in general and domains in particular...:). Well, you are dead right in saying,

"given the option will always access the Internet in their native tongue, whether or not they are English Literate."

Well, the news is that Microsoft's Billy in his recent visit to India has put a great thrust to Indian languages as he is collaborating government bodies. I heard that Windows would now be available in major Indian languages. So, that means, perhaps, good days for Indian IDNs. But not sure what will happen to .ins and .co.ins and english.coms? How is IDN market in china, japan, and korea?

Cheers!
Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom