Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

IDN's dropping like flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I admit it. I'm a fence stradler on this subject. I own many IDN's so you would think I would not be. What I don't know is this; I don't know that I have confidence all of this will be put together for the entire international community, from IE7 to China developing it's own "intranet". Will it all work out, will people really begin to use IDN's or have the accepted the use of common english ASCII .com's? Many people, regardless of language don't change rapidly so this could all take some serious time. No winner yet IMHO. I do truely hope IDN's work out as I have some serious cash in them. Cheers,

Acro

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If that's the case, they will be in deep sh*t. Part of the agreement when the US Government filed antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft in March of 2000 is the disassociation of IE and Windows. The decision was upheld in Europe where regulations are even stricter: Microsoft has released Windows versions stripped of IE altogether.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, they will be in deep sh*t.

So then you didn't know when you started this thread. Just spewing nonsense. Get your facts straight before you go on spewing more.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's all cool the antitrust thing
but do they have this agreement worldwide?
It's the other countries that we who are involved with the IDN market are looking at.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IE7 is out and yet ppl are in disarray, dropping entire portfolios. The IDN horse turned out to be a ...mule :-D

Sorry folks, told ya so a year ago.

I will quote this to preserve this in a few weeks when the auto update hits Japan, Spain, France, China, Oh and the rest of the world.

My revenue and traffic has more than quadrupled in the last year since the very first IE7 beta release. I can only calculate what it will do when it auto-updates in these countries.

Go on promoting your .info's and the like. But get facts first.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lets get two things straight.

Firstly, Phishing has never primarily been an IDN problem apart from in the diseased brains of a minority of zenophobic ASCII domainers.

Secondly, the introduction of IDN will go an awful long way to protecting over half the World's Population from Phishing attacks to which you are uniquely vulnerable if you surf using Alien characters. Just imagine how comfortable you would feel surfing using Chinese!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So then you didn't know when you started this thread. Just spewing nonsense. Get your facts straight before you go on spewing more.

Sorry sarcle, that kind of patronizing doesn't work with me. Save that for your IDN mob that register junk letters in suahili and burmese.

Love that, "zenophobic" :-D

It's xenophobic and I own the .net
Nothing beats dictionary names in the original 3 TLD's - in the original alphabet.

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex
What is so evil about a domain name in someone's native language?
Every technology has downsides
Spam, virus', hackers

For people looking forward to the IDN market, it's mainly based on the fact that people will be able to use domains in their native language.
Chinese, Japanese, Korean don't have to worry about phishing domains but users can finally get domains they can easily remember & not misspell all the time.

The benefits don't affect the English market at all. It affects those of us who are in foreign markets. By your standards email should be deemed evil too. 85% of my email is Spam, that's how they send phishing domains. Would we get rid of email because there's so much Spam?

Think about the use, seriously. No matter what you hear or think. Remembering things in English letters is not easy for the entire world. People want to do things in their own language above anything else.

My replies are not to inspire you to ever invest in the market, but at least respect that the IDN market is progressing.

Agreed, very good post.

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nothing beats dictionary names in the original 3 TLD's - in the original alphabet.

Of course you own "xenophobic" - how fitting!

In the original alphabet? Whose? Let's take a look:

"The earliest known alphabet in the wider sense is the Wadi el-Hol script, believed to be an abjad, which through its successor Phoenician is the ancestor of modern alphabets, including Arabic, Greek, Latin (via the Old Italic alphabet), Cyrillic (via the Greek alphabet) and Hebrew (via Aramaic)." - From Wikipedia.

Now, if we look at the Wadi el-Hol script, we see this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wadi_el-Hol_inscriptions_drawing.jpg

You own "dictionary names in the original 3 TLD's" in that?!? Outstanding!

I do understand now, though. It seems you are perhaps a bit uneasy (or even afraid?) about these "new domains" in "junk letters." It may be because you didn't register them and you wish you had, or even simply because you have no interest in registering them, but may still be worried about them taking away some traffic from ASCII domains.

Either way, if you would like to learn more about them, you can PM me (or I'm sure others here) and ask questions (I say PM in case you feel the need to save face, if you want to post questions, that's fine too).

If you aren't interested in them at all, that's fine too. But please stop putting forth opinions that have no basis in fact and then not backing them up. It makes you look bad, and it makes for a bad discussion experience.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Of course you own "xenophobic" - how fitting!

In the original alphabet? Whose? Let's take a look:

"The earliest known alphabet in the wider sense is the Wadi el-Hol script, believed to be an abjad, which through its successor Phoenician is the ancestor of modern alphabets, including Arabic, Greek, Latin (via the Old Italic alphabet), Cyrillic (via the Greek alphabet) and Hebrew (via Aramaic)." - From Wikipedia.

Now, if we look at the Wadi el-Hol script, we see this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wadi_el-Hol_inscriptions_drawing.jpg

You own "dictionary names in the original 3 TLD's" in that?!? Outstanding!

I do understand now, though. It seems you are perhaps a bit uneasy (or even afraid?) about these "new domains" in "junk letters." It may be because you didn't register them and you wish you had, or even simply because you have no interest in registering them, but may still be worried about them taking away some traffic from ASCII domains.

Either way, if you would like to learn more about them, you can PM me (or I'm sure others here) and ask questions (I say PM in case you feel the need to save face, if you want to post questions, that's fine too).

If you aren't interested in them at all, that's fine too. But please stop putting forth opinions that have no basis in fact and then not backing them up. It makes you look bad, and it makes for a bad discussion experience.

Spare me the diatrebe (Greek word) about the origin of language. Instead of being pedantic (yet another Greek word) and pretending you didn't understand my statement about the original alphabet (here's more Greek) - as in, used in domains.

Yes, it's very fitting that I own xenophobic.net - it's a quality dictionary domain in the original com/net/org triad (more Greek lessons to you) - unlike the junkyard that occupies your signature.

Bottom line is: IE7, which you were awaiting as the IDN Messiah, is a flop. And I am so content watching how you are frothing in the mouth when faced with the facts :-D

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Spare me the diatrebe (Greek word) about the origin of language. Instead of being pedantic (yet another Greek word) and pretending you didn't understand my statement about the original alphabet (here's more Greek) - as in, used in domains.

Yes, it's very fitting that I own xenophobic.net - it's a quality dictionary domain in the original com/net/org triad (more Greek lessons to you) - unlike the junkyard that occupies your signature.

Bottom line is: IE7, which you were awaiting as the IDN Messiah, is a flop. And I am so content watching how you are frothing in the mouth when faced with the facts :-D

Acroplex, I don't know what to make of you. You seem like you have some education, but your common sense is quite lacking, and you make yourself look asinine when you don't back up your claims.

So, which is it? Are you upset because you didn't reg any? Or do you have a phobia (derived from Greek) of anything that is different from your viewpoint?

Acroplex said:
xenophobic.net - it's a quality dictionary domain in the original com/net/org triad (more Greek lessons to you) - unlike the junkyard that occupies your signature.

Let's look at this for a moment:

Xenophobic.net

Dictionary word? Yes
Domain? Check
com/net/org? Yes, .net
Quality? Ummm... Hmmm... Not so much...

CancúnHotel.com

Dictionary Word? Yes, both Cancún and Hotel are in the dictionary.
Domain? Yes
com/net/org? Yes, .com
Quality? Well, CancunHotels.com sold for $120,000 this year, and this domain fits perfectly for a huge, lucrative market. If you'd like, you can read more about Cancún here.

Interesting...

Acroplex said:
Bottom line is: IE7, which you were awaiting as the IDN Messiah, is a flop.

Once again, can you back this up? Also, do you realize that IDNs work with other browsers?

Or the main question: Can you contribute anything useful to this conversation? My guess is no.

By the way, it's diatribe.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Are you that dense? Um... It's not out yet. Outside of techies and people in the "biz" hardly anyone knows about ie7. It WILL be auto-updated soon, to almost every computer on earth.

Again, what are you even talking about? Do you even know? No, you've stated you DIDN'T know. But you have to keep on coming into our forum preaching you're "original" alphabet, and drops, and phishing.

How many ASCII drop a day?
And why can't paypall.com be used for phishing? Oh ascii domains are the majority of domains that are used for phishing, everyday. You're digging in the dirt to try to save yourself.

The fact is auto-update will happen for japan, china and the rest of the world. It hasn't already happened.

The traffic to these names and the revenue they bring without an IDN enabled mainstream browser is testament enough. But thanks again for your fearmongering. Did you and Bush take the same lessons?

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Acroplex
What's the purpose of this discussion?
First you say IDNs are dropping like crazy, but they in reality IDNs are being added to more extensions.
We try to tell you the actual use of domains. Many are getting traffic from search engines even before people type in the domains.
Many investors have pure generic terms like cheap hotels, loans, bank, credit cards etc. Perhaps most of the info isn't here but people involved with IDNs can get their domains checked by natives or people that are near fluent in the languages.

Now you say IE7 is gonna be a flop? I'm a hardcore Mac user. HOW CAN MICROSOFT's own browser be a Flop?

Think about that... The antitrust laws aren't worldwide. People will upgrade, new computers will be installed with IE7.

You got some kind of stereotype in your head about what most of us own. Most people selling now are selling the bottom of their portfolio.
In Japanese I own Platinum, Diamonds, Cheap Hotels, Anime, Daytrader, International Calls, Mortgage, Personal Loans, Adult Videos, Brandy, Whisky, Gin, & about 600 more quality generics.
& even though I own the largest IDN site their are plenty of members with way better portfolios than mine in various languages.

We just invested in something that we saw will be definitely used. If it takes 2 years to get big sales then so be it. We already know that we have invested wisely.

It really makes no sense for you to say IE7 isn't going to get downloaded....
Why wouldn't it?

I know people that had no clue it was out already installed it.

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry sarcle, that kind of patronizing doesn't work with me. Save that for your IDN mob that register junk letters in suahili and burmese.

Love that, "zenophobic" :-D

I just read this thread. Clearly Acroplex is just a griefer. He doesn't get his facts straight - doesn't even offer facts, refuses to acknowledge when he is proven wrong, shows no flexibility and continues to repeat the same ignorant mantra again and again (desperately it seems). Wait a minute...could Acroplex be George Bush? :jaw:

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is: IE7, which you were awaiting as the IDN Messiah, is a flop.

IE7 is a flop?

Where did you get this information or is this just your personal opinion?

From what I have been reading most are pretty impressed with it overall.
Of course there are other choices if you don't like MS or their products.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I just read this thread. Clearly Acroplex is just a griefer. He doesn't get his facts straight - doesn't even offer facts, refuses to acknowledge when he is proven wrong, shows no flexibility and continues to repeat the same ignorant mantra again and again (desperately it seems). Wait a minute...could Acroplex be George Bush? :jaw:

Keep blowing air on your IDN bubble till it bursts. :-D

As for saying I am G.Bush, that's quite the insult; I'm liberal.

IE7 is a flop?

Where did you get this information or is this just your personal opinion?

From what I have been reading most are pretty impressed with it overall.
Of course there are other choices if you don't like MS or their products.

Internet Explorer is bug-ridden and non-standards compliant. IE7 is promoted as the next step forward, which is not. Numerous reviews cite that it's heavy, bloated and already ready for patching.

I use Windows - my browser of choice is Firefox.

Again, what are you even talking about? Do you even know? No, you've stated you DIDN'T know. But you have to keep on coming into our forum preaching you're "original" alphabet, and drops, and phishing.

Since when this IDN sub-forum (thanfully a sub-forum since IDN's used to pollute with garbage the main forums!) became "yours"? Can't take the heat and criticism? Can't face facts?

I guess then μαλακες.com would be your choice of domain :-D

][/B]

Dictionary Word? Yes, both Cancún and Hotel are in the dictionary.
Domain? Yes
com/net/org? Yes, .com
Quality? Well, CancunHotels.com sold for $120,000 this year, and this domain fits perfectly for a huge...

Keep drooling! An IDN will NEVER match the figures of a REAL, original ASCII domain.

I would not spend $120 on CancúnHotels.

Again, your eulogizing your own sins :-D How fitting.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have just read through this whole thread, for the first time.

I am not an IDN lover or hater, but it would seem just plain obvious that IDN's will be made to work. Everything we as a species does is basically to change and hopefully improve a situation. For the 'billions of people who ar not used to the romanised alphabet IDN's are their natural conduit to the internet.

If as an onlooker in this 'debate' I had to choose a victor, then it would be the IDN argument. In fact I would say that a point that was missed is that the advertising industry in these non-romaised alphabet countries will also be a major contributing factor to the adoption of IDN's.

It is time that the gTLD guru's realised that although they led a revolution in the previous two decades the torch they once carried has now passed on to new generations of revolutionaries, people with vision on how things not only should change but will change.

The day of the gTLD is neigh, not that they will disappear, but the requirements of commerce dictate that there can only be one business.com, etc., and even with the other gTLD's there is not sufficient to supply the demand. IDN's and ccTLD's offer the obvious solution to this impasse in internet accessability to both the public worldwide and business worldwide.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The argument is not about TLD's. It's about the core language of the Internet, which is and will be, English. It's really pathetic seeing how for months, IDN promoters hoped that IE7 will be the Holy Grail to some untapped IDN traffic. Reality bites :-D

Oh and did you visit http://www.IE7.com yet? It has a great review.

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
I use Windows - my browser of choice is Firefox.

Good, then you are IDN compliant. Congrats!

Acroplex said:
Keep drooling! An IDN will NEVER match the figures of a REAL, original ASCII domain.

I would not spend $120 on CancúnHotels.

You say NEVER like you can see the future (which, if you could, surely you would have gotten better ASCIIs than "Xenophobic.net"). Again, you put forth your twisted opinion and act like it is fact. Besides, I would not sell CancúnHotel.com for $120.

You show your ignorance with each post you make.

I guess ηλίθιος.com would be your choice of domain.

Acroplex said:
The argument is not about TLD's. It's about the core language of the Internet, which is and will be, English.

Thank you for making my point about your ignorance and shortsightedness.

Do you troll because you think it is "cool," or are you just a complete moron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom