Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

IDN's dropping like flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If idn.idn comes out i think it will end up rendering idn.com,net,org ect obsolete.

And whilst we are on. What is the IF about? ICANN has already stated this will happen. There is still a little uncertainty over the when, but it will be in the next 12 months. The How is going to be decided in Paris. There is also a little uncertainty over the what, but nobody in their right mind is going to suggest that China will not be given the Alias for CN that they have been using for the last couple of years.

Also you need to understand that Representations and Registrations are likely to be very different animals. There are a few things to sort out but dot Com will have local representations that resolve to the same IP. So there is not a cat in hells chance of the IDN with ASCII ccTLD going anywhere. To suggest that this would be the case just manifests ignorance of the subject.

This whole thread was a gratuitous attack on IDN right from the out. Totally without justification and without any kind of substantiation that makes sense to anyone that knows anything about the subject. Furthermore, most of this is a total affront to the cultures of other countries. Countries that if the US will need to form very firm trade relations, if it is going to retain any semblance of being and economic power.

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thinking normally involves some in depth reasoning. Would you care to share you analysis. Or is this just a development of Descartes philosophy: "I think therefore it is so."

Unfortunately the word think is much abused and now has many meanings:

v.tr.
To have or formulate in the mind.
To reason about or reflect on; ponder: Think how complex language is. Think the matter through.
To decide by reasoning, reflection, or pondering: thinking what to do.
To judge or regard; look upon: I think it only fair.
To believe; suppose: always thought he was right.

To expect; hope: They thought she'd arrive early.
To intend: They thought they'd take their time.
To call to mind; remember: I can't think what her name was.
To visualize; imagine: Think what a scene it will be at the reunion.
To devise or evolve; invent: thought up a plan to get rich quick.
To bring into a given condition by mental preoccupation: He thought himself into a panic over the impending examination.
To concentrate one's thoughts on: “Think languor” (Diana Vreeland).

v.intr.
To exercise the power of reason, as by conceiving ideas, drawing inferences, and using judgment.
To weigh or consider an idea: They are thinking about moving.
To bring a thought to mind by imagination or invention: No one before had thought of bifocal glasses.
To recall a thought or an image to mind: She thought of her childhood when she saw the movie.
To believe; suppose: He thinks of himself as a wit. It's later than you think.
To have care or consideration: Think first of the ones you love.
To dispose the mind in a given way: Do you think so?

The one I go for is in Red.
The reasoning should be obvious. Would you rather type in characters and an alphabetical extention or all characters?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The reasoning should be obvious. Would you rather type in characters and an alphabetical extention or all characters?

The only thing that is obvious is that you have totally missed the point. You will be able to navigate to dot Coms typing all characters if you wish, but most of the Chinese that I have talked to seem to think that the extension will tend to get typed in the highly recognised global brand of dot Com. Either way it doesn't matter. As an argument for the demise of IDN.com this is just a non-starter, obvious or not.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The only thing that is obvious is that you have totally missed the point. You will be able to navigate to dot Coms typing all characters if you wish, but most of the Chinese that I have talked to seem to think that the extension will tend to get typed in the highly recognised global brand of dot Com. Either way it doesn't matter. As an argument for the demise of IDN.com this is just a non-starter, obvious or not.
I don't know much about IDN's. I could be totally wrong but wouldn't it just be easier to type in the character equivalent of .com rather than switching settings on the keyboard to type .com? If you can just type .com as easily as you would characters then yeah, .com is globally recognized and is the number one exention out there.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about IDN's. I could be totally wrong but wouldn't it just be easier to type in the character equivalent of .com rather than switching settings on the keyboard to type .com? If you can just type .com as easily as you would characters then yeah, .com is globally recognized and is the number one exention out there.

In Russian Cyrillic probably yes, but as Chinese and Japanese Characters are most popularly input by typing Latin letters and then converting, probably not.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If idn.idn comes out i think it will end up rendering idn.com,net,org ect obsolete.

idn.com, idn.net, idn.cn, idn.jp etc. most certainly CAN become idn.idn (equal to .com, .net, .jp etc.). This is all in the pipeline, it will be up to Verisign and the various registries if they choose to do this.

Some speculate they will offer BOTH idn.com, etc. etc. aliased to their equivalents as idn.idn. Some suggest they might even get the idea to allow you to buy one, or both for an extra registration fee.

The information regaring .com etc., and the provided protection by ICANN against any new "confusingly similar" extensions to anything already existing are all addressed in the ICANN and GNSO documents and working papers.

http://public.icann.org/files/NewgTLDProgram_Schwartz_Dubai08.pdf
Quote: New gtld's "must not cause string confusion"

idn.com, idn.cn, idn.jp etc. should all stay on the top of the food chain, perhaps morphing to idn.idn at some point. The news of (new) idn.idn has been good publicity, especially with Russian idns which now are getting some nice type in traffic.

Last edited:

memmst

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ie7 is out and yet ppl are in disarray, dropping entire portfolios. The idn horse turned out to be a ...mule :-d

sorry folks, told ya so a year ago.
bump.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I only have a couple IDN, it's more an experimental thing to me.

Now I see a number of issues with IDNs:
  • non-latin domains not handled by all mailservers
  • most web forms rely on more on less elaborate regex to validate E-mail addresses - as long as they are ASCII. They do not recognize non-ASCII addresses
Basically IDN are currently unusable on the Internet in a number of circumstances.
However I think they are good for type-in. Being able to type in one's own language/scripts sounds like an improvement provided it's implemented properly and carefully...

Here is one Arabic name in my portfolio: توظيف
This one gets referer traffic from google. It's not a lot but there is potential. ROI is what matters :eek:k:
If there is traffic, they cannot be completely worthless IMO.

Good god. Not again.
Did you open Pandora's box :D

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They actually get traffic compared to much of the junk domain names that get peddled here and sold on a daily basis. They are pigeons...

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3 1/2 year anniversary with this thread...... No charm huh Acro

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I let go of my last IDN. Best of luck to those that keep passing the IDN joint around.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which names were yours

So you kept renewing your remaining idns for at least another 3 years (since 2006)

Last edited:

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greece is "uncompetitive" anyway... :p
So much bad news about Greece and some want to kick it out of the Eurozone...
Lets talk about IDNs in strong economies such as Japan and emerging sleeping giants such as China.

Anyway.. back to IDNs.... More at 10PM

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If you're just trolling, let me know - I have a special badge for trolls. Ignorant Americans talking about Greece need to clean their own stable from crap first.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're just trolling, let me know - I have a special badge for trolls. Ignorant Americans talking about Greece need to clean their own stable from crap first.

Does that mean you get a troll award for creating this tsunami of a troll thread to begin with? ;-)

Open a vodka and wait another 3 1/2 years to the 7th year anniversary....

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are 200 mobi investors and 40 IDN investors. Period.
It seems that .mobi, as shitty as it might be, is better off that idn

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom