Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

IE 7.0 has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acesfull said:
Seems stuff just wants IDNs to be a failure - otherwise he will soon realize that he may have missed out on the last big opportunity of his lifetime, and it went by him, right under his nose.

Yes I have missed it out.
Thats why I want them to failure
You are right.
I already have my way that I am going, so no need to cry about IDN-s
But if IDN-s will work, I will be happy for You, Then I know You are rich and famous. Will it happen tomorrow or in 50 years-that I don`t know. I know that in this moment there are other and better ways to make money.

DotComGod said:
To spice this up a bit, I just got my first call this second from Iceland to buy an Iclandic IDN.

Yipppeee! for IDN's!

-=DCG=-

What special char they have in ICELAND?
üöä like in germany or..?

Domain Summit 2024

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
You are right.

WOW! Now that's a sad commentary.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acesfull said:
WOW! Now that's a sad commentary.

Yes its cruel but fair world.
It supposed to be a joke.
But ok, I am not the guy who can bring IDN-s to failure.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
so is this open version still 7.2P???? or a newer version?

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
Yes its cruel but fair world.
It supposed to be a joke.

It's not too late.

Well, it is too late for single term generics in languages spoken in the major economies, but there are still over 100 other languages to choose from.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gammascalper said:
It's not too late.

Well, it is too late for single term generics in languages spoken in the major economies, but there are still over 100 other languages to choose from.

Yup, never too late, there are better idns to register than .eu. Last count, they estimated less than 1 .com and .net million idns - and that's for 200 languages.....

stuff said:
You are right.
I already have my way that I am going, so no need to cry about IDN-s
But if IDN-s will work, I will be happy for You, Then I know You are rich and famous. Will it happen tomorrow or in 50 years-that I don`t know. I know that in this moment there are other and better ways to make money.

What special char they have in ICELAND?
üöä like in germany or..?

Imagine you gone back to 1997, and you are in the same situation as today - all the goodies like mortgage.com is gone, but mortgageloans.com is still available. Are you going to say - ok, i missed the opportunity, so i give up!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
Yes but how can You then type-in adresses?

Local language users will use bilingual keyboards. Chinese can be typed in using a Wubi keyboard at speed upto 200 characters a minute. The Wubi keyboard looks much like a Qwerty Keyboard and characters are compiled from the 8 basics strokes that Chinese characters are comprised of. This is not the only or even the most popular inputting method. The Chinese input their characters very rapidly into mobile phones which are the common means of accessing the Internet. The technology is out there. Ther barriers are largely figments of your imagination. If I have manage in twenty languages that I don't understand I am sure local users won't have any problems whatsoever.

gammascalper said:
It's not too late.

Yes, and a lot of excellent terms can be bought up in the secondary market for a tiny fraction of what they will be worth.

Because of demographics, economic growth and a tighter name space for Chinese than ASCII, Chinese character dot coms will actually eventually be even more valuable than their ASCII equivalents.

touchring said:
Imagine you gone back to 1997, and you are in the same situation as today - all the goodies like mortgage.com is gone, but mortgageloans.com is still available. Are you going to say - ok, i missed the opportunity, so i give up!

Yes, it is like 1997 perhaps late 1997, but by next year it will be 2003. The Chinese Internet is not starting from scratch, it is already huge and IDN will further fuel its growth.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
touchring said:

This is a good analogy. I'll bet there are a TON of compound terms in even the major european languages.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stuff,

Go ahead and contact me and I will set you up with some nice ones. ;)

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Microsoft has (a bit indirectly) posted about IE7 resolving IDNs on the main IE7 page of its Japanese-language site. It's one of the major bullets right at the top of the page under the section highlighting the benefits of IE7.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie_intl/ja/ie7/default.mspx

Of course, with the Japanese version of the browser still a few weeks away, the announcement itself is buried a few pages into the Microsoft Japan site, but it will no doubt migrate to the front page as soon as the localized browser is ready.

This is the first major ripple on the IDN sea - soon it's going to be surfing time when the waves start crashing ashore!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
Microsoft has (a bit indirectly) posted about IE7 resolving IDNs on the main IE7 page of its Japanese-language site. It's one of the major bullets right at the top of the page under the section highlighting the benefits of IE7.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie_intl/ja/ie7/default.mspx

Of course, with the Japanese version of the browser still a few weeks away, the announcement itself is buried a few pages into the Microsoft Japan site, but it will no doubt migrate to the front page as soon as the localized browser is ready.

This is the first major ripple on the IDN sea - soon it's going to be surfing time when the waves start crashing ashore!

Edwin, you seem to be coming out of your Malaise a bit there.

Yes, I think there will be a bit of diplomatic pressure for Bill to get the Chinese one out about the same time. Otherwise he is about to commit a serious Faux Pas.

gatorgrad

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
let me get this straight, because I'm open to the whole IDN thing and would like to hold a few for a little diversity in my portfolio.

if I register xn--foreignkeyword.com and lets assume it gets type in traffic...
are the native speakers actually typing in foreignkeyword.foreigncharacter(com)
or are they typing foreignkeyword.english(com)???

that's essentially my only concern before going forward is I'm concerned that registering xn--something.com will eventually be worthless if native language extensions are created as separate domains

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beta 2 has been out for a while. I guess it is now available to everyone. If it is like Beta 1 there is no way to uninstall it cleanly. I guess it is better than IE6, but I think I am going to wait for it to go "gold" if that is even a word in Microsoft'svocabulary.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
Beta 2 has been out for a while. I guess it is now available to everyone. If it is like Beta 1 there is no way to uninstall it cleanly. I guess it is better than IE6, but I think I am going to wait for it to go "gold" if that is even a word in Microsoft'svocabulary.

We are already on about the 3rd publicly released version of Beta 2.0. The build is being improved almost daily.

Even the earlier versions of Beta 2 are a Far Cry from Beta 1.

Myself, I will probably stick with Firefox.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there was one reason I haven't installed firefox. I will have to go try and install it tonight b/c i remember something which stopped me. I can't remember what it was though.

I tend not to experiment with installing applications on my main machine unless I know they are semi-bugfree b/c of all I do online. I can't afford to format it.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gatorgrad said:
let me get this straight, because I'm open to the whole IDN thing and would like to hold a few for a little diversity in my portfolio.

that's essentially my only concern before going forward is I'm concerned that registering xn--something.com will eventually be worthless if native language extensions are created as separate domains

What you actually register is xn--somebitofcodethatwillgeneratethecharacters.com

This is called Punycode. There is a punycode converter within the Forum:

http://sebi.axone.ch/idn/

DName which is almost certain to be implemented by year end will represent dot com in all the languages and scripts that require it, but there will only ever be one dot com registery. It is unlikely that any other significant registeries will be created before dot com corners much of the IDN market place but it will face some competition from ccTLDs, but as these are 4 timese the price, much less user friendly and beyond the control of ICANN, then most speculators and indeed end users are going to plump heavily for the dot com version or as as Google has done for China, both!

The myth that there is going to be some second wave of IDN is just that. IDN.com is the main event but will later be transformed into IDN.IDN with a lot of high tech smoke and mirrors. If you don't nail your IDN.com now, essentially you have blown it. Most of the top terms have gone in the main markets such as China and Japan. Arabic is quickly filling out and Russia is not far behind. It is not, however, too late to pick up some excellent bargains in the secondary market place. At this stage of the cycle the ASCII domain Business.com sold for peanuts!

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:

You are having a conversation with people who have a single name in their portfolio of hundreds if not thousands that would put your entire portfolio to shame.
It doesnt surprise me you want IDN's to fail...

As has been said already, its not too late to see the light.......

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gatorgrad said:

they are typing in .com, as far as you can tell

no one knows for certain what the future holds

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainNames said:
they are typing in .com, as far as you can tell

no one knows for certain what the future holds

Only in China is there any real working IDN.IDN and this has been done through some internal fudge with the ISPs and it only works for dot CN.

By Christmas, however, you should be able to set your browser to display and receive dot coms in any language/script of your chosing.

At the moment dot coms are only working in the IDN.com form, but that is not such an impediment as it sounds. The real problem has been and still is to for a month or so an almost total lack of browser support due to longstanding instransigence from Microsoft!

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ホテル。COM

I typed that in about 2 seconds using Windows' built-in IME. Native Japanese speakers will type that even faster. I didn't need to switch keyboard modes either.

But this is beside the point.

DNAME will give users a choice between typing the .com in their language or by keeping shift down and typing ASCII.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom