Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

IE 7.0 has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you come in at this date & can pick up mortgage in Chinese or Japanese you are a better man than I....
I'd seriously suggest getting what you can in either language.
There may not be a lot of IDN talk here but I got a feeling somewhere out there there's at least 300 or more folks actively buying up all the good IDN Domains for the last 6 months...

(_Y_)Man said:
I just read this whole thread and most of the talks are about arabic and japanese domains and popularity.

What about chinese domains? shouldnt they be the best IDNs to go for? or is the chinese government gonna be a problem?

like if you were to have mortgage.com in chinese or mortgage.com in japanese, which would you choose?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
(_Y_)Man said:
like if you were to have mortgage.com in chinese or mortgage.com in japanese, which would you choose?

Do you want very big money in 3-5 years, or gigantic money in 15-20 years?

If the former, Japanese. If the latter, Chinese.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The best thing about IDN speculation is that you don't need to have any facts to back up your reasoning. Just like the Internet Stock Bubble....you know, companies with no revenues being worth as much as General Motors. C'mon...its B to B, that's better than B to C, its the new economy....trade stocks from your computer...you are finally on an even playing field.

Kaboom. It's just a bunch of Beanie Baby talk right now. If it was truly like printing money then you wouldn't see any of them for sale from so-called knowledgeable people. Almost every sales thread I see has the same buyers and sellers disagreeing as to the meaning of the names anyways.

Good luck to all, and I hope it really takes off....more dotcoms for me.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
Good luck to all, and I hope it really takes off....more dotcoms for me.

I love it when people chime in about how they wish us well when they are quoted earlier as saying something like.

WhoDatDog said:
My guess is that most people investing in these names will get detroyed (financially).
:charming:

Move along, the army that was once behind you is long gone.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It took me a bit to get the relevancy of IDN's.

I am not bilingual. I didn't realize that keyboards in many other countries have entirely different keys. The current problem is that they don't correspond to domains. Special characters typed in will simply error in IE and even Firefox. Opera has native support for IDN's. When IE 7 is released with IDN support this means that non-us keyboards will resolve to IDN domains. Sadly I don't own any IDNs and I am unsure how to enter the market. I fear I have missed the boat entirely. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, and more will now have proper domains in their native tongues. This will GREATLY enhance the value of IDN domains over the coming years.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca said:
It took me a bit to get the relevancy of IDN's.

I am not bilingual. I didn't realize that keyboards in many other countries have entirely different keys. The current problem is that they don't correspond to domains. Special characters typed in will simply error in IE and even Firefox. Opera has native support for IDN's. When IE 7 is released with IDN support this means that non-us keyboards will resolve to IDN domains. Sadly I don't own any IDNs and I am unsure how to enter the market. I fear I have missed the boat entirely. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, and more will now have proper domains in their native tongues. This will GREATLY enhance the value of IDN domains over the coming years.

Go to Google language tools:

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Type a name in English, translate to Japanese (or your favorite language)

cut and past the translation into a google search ("in quotes" for exact matches). If the search results are over about 1 Million, and you can click on a site or two and see relevant results - chances are the translation is good.

Validate type-ins with Overture Japan:
http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?mkt=jp

If numbers are in 100s or 1000s+, then its a good indicator.

Go to Conversion Tool at:
http://mct.verisign-grs.com/conversiontool/index.shtml

Paste your non-English word and click the CONVERT button.

If you don't get results, make sure your non-English word(s) has no spaces in it. (Sometimes its hard to notice spaces)

From the result, cut and paste the xn--WHATEVER(.com) into a WHOIS. (I like to use www.coolwhois.com) If the domain is not taken, then get it. And hopefully, you have what you think it is.

You can register IDNs at many sites, including www.enom.com and www.domainsite.com.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's just say that ALL 3 of the search engines own IDN Domains.
& one of them just purchased over 50 in Japanese at the end of March.
I found the 50 in Japanese which means they most likely purchased in bulk multiple languages.
Now who would I believe
A) A bunch of guys who don't know much about the foreign languages that could use IDN Domains
B) A bunch of guys who own the best IDN Domains & are doing the research on their use & benefits on all aspects
C) The actual Search Engines that are currently registering new IDN Domains & making sure they show up properly in their search results.

I'd take C myself...
I trust Native Speakers, Google, Yahoo, & MSN before anyone that says it can't work & never seen Chinese, or Japanese use the internet.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone who lives in the United States and is familiar with the culture should be able to make easy money in regular dotcoms. All of this other stuff will always pale to the regular .com. Just like .net, .org, .us, and others.

I am thinking about investing in a Chinese Pizza shop myself. It is going to be the next Pizza Hut. Do you know how many people live in China? That's a lot of Pizza. We won't have the shops up and running for a while, but we are working on the sauce and the dough.....I mean that's a lot of pizza....the Chinese gotta eat.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
All of this other stuff will always pale to the regular .com. Just like .net, .org, .us, and others.

Not really.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
The best thing about IDN speculation is that you don't need to have any facts to back up your reasoning. Just like the Internet Stock Bubble....

What in the hell are you talking about? Do you even know? Seriously the stuff you say makes no sense what so ever.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
What in the hell are you talking about? Do you even know? Seriously the stuff you say makes no sense what so ever.

I especially liked the statement: Just like the Internet Stock Bubble....

WhoDatDog said:
All of this other stuff will always pale to the regular .com.

Right. This will not be like the "regular .com." It will be the Premium Unleaded.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Investing in IDN Domains is investing in regular domains for other countries.
I'm a Boston native & coming from being around many ethnicities blacks, whites, hispanics, asians I realize people are just more comfortable with their own languages & there are always people investing in things overseas that will make money.

Investment is just that. Some see it, others are fine with their position in life not to. This is a Domain Forum that added IDN compatibility recently. Many Domainers here are making money with normal domains. The percentages are different though from the IDners perpective.
ON DNF & NP the percentage of domainers that will never have a domain worth over $100 is high (well moreso with NP).

Since IDN Domain market is just opening on the business level the percentage is CURRENTLY higher for those who will PROFIT in thousands this year alone. My profits are under $20K for this year & I still have 350 Japanese dot coms & 150 Japanese jps. Investing in technology that will certainly be used soon is our choice in investing. Imagine if someone told you about regular domains 10 years ago... It's the exact same concept that's why we buy. We know based on that what to do.

It's your choice... Next year I want to be able to sell something & just donate the whole wad to UNCF... or to Morehouse...

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
....All of this other stuff will always pale to the regular .com. Just like .net, .org, .us, and others.

Your illusions will come crashing down to earth shortly and we'll see who comes out laughing....

WhoDatDog said:
Do you know how many people live in China? That's a lot of Pizza. We won't have the shops up and running for a while, but we are working on the sauce and the dough.....I mean that's a lot of pizza....the Chinese gotta eat.

What for one second makes you think that you can impose what is for all intents and purposes an Americanism on the Chiinese? Do you know any Chinese people? Do you think that they are gonna eat YOUR pizza? ........... I mean, come on!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My investment vehicle is called Chinese Domains Ltd. Need I say more?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The folks who got in REALLY early in traditional English .com will probably always be sitting on the largest pile of goal. The domain "hotel.com" will probably trump the value of ホテル.com (hotel.com in correct Japanese). I doubt if there's much argument there.

But it's also TOTALLY IRRELEVANT since 99.9% of us don't have domains of the caliber of hotel.com IN ENGLISH to bandy about. It's like arguing that gold is much more valuable than silver, when all the time the people doing the arguing only have copper in their pockets - and IDN is the silver!

And that's where IDNs come in. It's possible to be king of a smaller but still usefully large hill even if the English .com mountaintop is packed to bursting point by the biggest regular .com players.

So what if IDN only end up being worth 5% or 10% of the regular English equivalents? (personally I think it will be higher for the top few languages, but regardless...) You can still amass a juicy portfolio for practically nothing (a few months or even weeks ago it would have been reg fee, now it's mainly a question of a few hundred per name if you're nimble enough in the sales threads).

Here's the thing that staggers me - the mad rush for .eu which resulted in over a million (mainly) junk domains being registered, yet ".eu" is "normal". At the same time, some people persist in stating that domains in a language spoken by more than twice the entire EU population (China has 1.3 billion citizens) are guaranteed to fail!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:

Actually, I love WHoDatDog's contributions, he always has me splitting my sides. Perhaps not too PC to laugh at the intellectually challenged, but it is totally involuntary, I assure you!

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
well, ya 1.3 billion chinese, and 12 computers. See the problem?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
99.8 million Chinese are online... that's the 2nd highest in the world after the USA, and Japan (another non-English-speaking country) is in solidly at #3
http://www.clickz.com/stats/sectors/geographics/article.php/5911_151151

In 2002 (I'm feeling lazy or I'd dig up more recent stats - feel free to chip in if you have newer numbers) 10.1 million PCs were bought in China...
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.08/legend.html

LeeRyder said:

Yep, the problem is crystal clear. It's called extreme short-sightedness.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LeeRyder said:

Well that is a remark born of total ignorance. Where the hell do you think your PC was made? If it wasn't China then you can be damned sure the next one will be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom