Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

income tax and domain name sale in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok, this may come off as a stupid question but when one sells a domain name is it exempt from income tax? Is it exempt because it is internet related (in Canada). I am thinking that it would not be exempted from taxation...anyone? And what would the percentage rate be?

thx!

Domain summit 2024

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good question!

And a side issue, does the local tax department go through your, say paypal, accounts?

Lats...

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was informed by Paypal that they do not notify the IRS of any earnings though your account...

Additionally, Domain names can be used for Tax Deductions if you advertise non profit organizations. You can also lease a domain name to a non profit org for an annual tax deduction, however you must own the domain name for a minimum of 2 years prior to doing so.

As always, please do your due diligence for your own region.

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about Paypal.

Lats...

I'd be very surprised if domain income was exempt from tax anywhere (except tax havens perhaps) income is income whether it was earnt painting houses or selling domains :) .

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In the USA, domain name resellers should look at their collections as inventory. Registration fees are not tax deductible. Domains sold are taxable like any other income. Subtract your cost and pay taxes on the profit. If a domain name is allowed to expire, I think the registration fees are deductible as a loss, but I'm not sure? I'll check with my guy.

That's all I know.

quack, domainduck :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators