Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.info LR2 registrars

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz, don't forget asking prices and sales prices can be VERY different.

Also, buyers can have taste problems just like sellers - I've sold some questionable names for more than $10k in the past :)

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But i have to admit the rest of their site is interesting.
First of all,because they apparently have been successful with affiliate stuff,second because what they do is what we all do - have a name,get 3d party product provider - but they present that in a very professional way.

T

Tee

Well, info is information in the world, and now its information on the information superway highway as represented by .info.

You're not gonna get numbers until its too late to benefit, if there is a benefit, by them. This is all speculative, but there is a hardcore imo of sense behind it.

.Com does have the advantage of being known as the .internet but .info is coming in swinging in two directions.

It is known as information in the world, far more than .com is known as the internet in the world is. It is a hardwired part of our brains as language using entities. .Com cant even begin to surmount a response to this.

It is a monster as a word compared to .com.

And it is coming at the internet representing what the interent is about. Information. Email and information.

Information is the core of it all. Sales buisness, its info first and everything comes off this.

Yes, .com may be the internet, but .info is coming in with great advantage, compared to what we have seen before.

It is on paper, the extension of the internet as the internet is the information superhighway

Will big business throw the cementing dollars behind it?

Remains to be seen.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Tee
I said it many times and i'll repeat it:
The question is not if an extension is logical or not.There might be a 1000 good,logical reasons why .info should be a good extension; still, it's all about everything BUT logic.Fact is, average Joe Blow is used to .com.And because everybody knows this,as well as the fact that none of the new extensions is heavily promoted in offline media this is why nobody wants to take a risk and sticks with .com.I am talkin about enduser companies here.
And today is a completely different situation than 1996.In those days,with the increasing popularity of the internet,.com became synonymous with the internet.
Now,to make a new extension as popular as .com nowadays, you would have to do MASSIVE promotion because no matter what new extension it is,it will always lack the sensation-effect .com had just because nowadays we are used to the internet.To the average folk a new extension just means a new extension if aware at all,whereas the .com meant the invention of internet to the average public.
Get it?

T

Tee

No I disagree. Yes, any other extension might take huge advertising to get through the .com brand. But info has a lot going for it including like it means information? And that is what the internet is about?

We will see once business begins to use it. Now that the generics are being released, we will probably get an idea in a year or so.

.Com is just an association. There are new people coming on the internet all the time who couldnt give a crap about .com. Besides, .com has a lot of negative association and business might just want to take chance with the neutral and relevant sounding .info

Do you get it?

And your welcome for the bizs name. Personally, they are not my cup of tea.

T

Tee

One last thing.

.Info is not just english. It is multilingual. It is abbreviated like that in many languages and makes sense in them.

I agree, .com is king, but give info some time.

Good luck!

"There are new people coming on the internet all the time who couldnt give a crap about .com. "

If they want to search with yahoo or google, buy a book from amazon, use aol, visit cnn or a million other sites then they will have to "give a crap" about .com - that's the point.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, while registering my .biz names(and i don't say .biz is anywhere near .com relevance) i always check if the name is in use with other extensions and what's behind them.Guess what?
Of all names i checked, 95% of the .info names where a) not in use, ie. not even resolving or b) had a "for sale" page.
Btw, never reg a .info/.biz when the same name has a for sale page with a different extension.Just means, even the better version hasn't been sold.

T

Tee

True. But as info is used and being that it make sense, I believe people will gravitate toward it. If they pull up results with the same domain names with different extensions, I believe it is the info that will get clicked. Especially newbies as often they are not as familiar with the internet and may be taken in by relevance as opposed to brand.

Its true, it has to be used for this to work. I suspect it will be used because of the relevance, even if only by low level webmasters at first.

T

Tee

Beatz, it may be that those are not good names? Info is outselling .biz handily.

I think there are no hard and fast rules.

Although they have a strong registry, biz to me is slangy but then again, if it is used and promoted, who knows?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's the only reason i regged my .biz names:
Thinking there might be some lower level businesses who indeed can't afford or have come too late for a good .com name and like to have a generic domain that doesn't suck as much as .ws,.cc and such.
So no expextations of BIG $$ here.
As for the newbie thing: Prolly the first thing an internet newbie learns is that .com is where the all the sites are.Period.:)

T

Tee

Yes, in a .com only environment, thats true. But as that changes, it will be interesting to see where the newbie goes, now that he realizes that there is more beyond .com

And while there was always .net and .org, these dont have the power behind the impact of information in .info on the ultimate information medium.

Time will tell.

You kind of glossed over the "as that changes" part, thats the hub of the discussion isn't it?

T

Tee

Sorry, beatz I misunderstood your post before. Yes, I agree, many names are not being used - not just info and biz - .com is probably the king of the unused extension right as far as sheer numbers go. Probably the relative king too.

The info and biz registries are very young and had problems in their launching. I think if they will have significant impact, we will see it in 1-2 years.

One thing is certain in life.

And that is change.

Period! (lol)

T

Tee

as that changes-

no glossing. Low level webmasters using the extension in the se's (kinda like .com initially) getting seen by the population and big business slow but steady with whoopass relevance

We will see........

T

Tee

Actually, you know, I think you all have great points and maybe I'm wrong. Yeah, phooey, who needs new tlds anyway. They will probably all bomb. Yeah.

Later.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So i'm surfing the internet since 5 years now - and even today,when looking for information and doing typein(which rarely happens anyway) i never have the idea to typein any other than .com - And that's me,knowing there are other extensions.So it's like as soon as i "transform" into the average user, i seem to only know .com and like "yeah,there are other TLD'S but that's the 3d class internet" or something.
Just to show that as the consumer i'm not behaving any different than any other average Joe Blow.Although i should know better.
Another reason: If you type-in because you're too lazy to use a SE,you're prolly to lazy to type-in all other extensions there are as well.You just stick with .com cuz that hopefully will lead to a result if at all.

I have throw my two cents in here, because I never - or rarely never - use type-ins. I've been on the Internet since long before there was a world wide web, and back in those days .edu was much more common than .com. The .edu domain names were four or even five levels deep, so good luck remembering the servername, department name, university name and ultimately the .edu extension.

Today, the only names I ever type-in are places I know by heart. Everything else gets hit from a search engine or a bookmark.

I contend that the average user does not type in domains at all. My father in law doesn't even know that his browser lets him type in a name, since his browser came configured by default without the address bar present... He uses AOLs built in search engine, and only AOLs search engine, and probably represents the 4 million AOL users much more closely than anyone reading this forum.

-t

Its hard for me to understand argument against type-ins as I get them and most of the professional domain people I talk to regularly get them. And we're not talking small numbers.

To me its like someone arguing that because they and their family don't look at sex.com, nobody else does.

T

Tee

Have any studies been done to determine the conversion of a type-in to a sale? I remember reading on some board, I forget which, that even with a site with very targetted content on that typein url yields very low conversion typein wise compared to say search engines or even word of mouth as determined by exit survey (and site log comparation).

How many typeins are needed for a sale with a well done targetted site? 100? 1000? How many .coms get that daily? Not many?

Are the value of typeins grossly overhyped as the main core of .com value? And if it is, who does this benefit?
Personally, I think typeins do have value, but I'd rather have a term searched for more than typed in more.

Have any studies been done to determine who exactly percentage wise is typing in and what are there motives? Personally, I have typed in but I've never found anything of value by typing in. Mostly just lame garbage. My motive was geekish curiosity and for speculative purposes. Seems to me that generics are easy to remember and might be worth speculating on.

Could typeins be an indication of the easibilty of branding the word, often a generic word? I think so.

Everything I have found of value and what I use, I found through the se's. I have never found typeins to be useful.

In any case, I do feel that info will do well in time with typeins because it is an easy to remember extension because we know it already and it goes well with generics like cars.info, insurance.info, news.info, sports.info - these are practically terms in and of themselves. And I believe this will trickle down to the info extension as a whole. In addition to its embracement on a lower level due to name scarcity and relevance. Kind of a convergence.

Speculation? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom