Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.info LR2 registrars

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
Yes, expensive marketing will drive traffic. Nobody is disputing that.

Descriptive .coms get natural type ins. Call them casual (how do you casually type in a url?) or call them purposeful - but people type them on spec and that converts into revenue and/or resale value.

Now you are talking about taking "cheap credit" - with every post you have made you are sounding more and more bitter.

The reason they get type ins is because they are descriptive and they have .com at the end. The weight of adveritsing made the .com part important, the descriptive element comes from timing and selection.

Good Morning folks!

Sounding more and more bitter, nah I was using more descriptive words as it would appear my message wasn't getting through with mundane (albeit sensible) prose :D

Domain summit 2024

Originally posted by beatz
Well, while registering my .biz names(and i don't say .biz is anywhere near .com relevance) i always check if the name is in use with other extensions and what's behind them.Guess what?
Of all names i checked, 95% of the .info names where a) not in use, ie. not even resolving or b) had a "for sale" page.
Btw, never reg a .info/.biz when the same name has a for sale page with a different extension.Just means, even the better version hasn't been sold.

beatz,
I see this 100% different than you do. If the .com version has a for sale sign. I'm thrilled! I then hope it is held by a speculator expecting an astronomical amount hence the genericname.com will remain on a shelf and not be an old habit mistake typein for a returning customer coming back to my .info Unless the reseller of the .com version lowers down to the true buyers market to make a real sale then it is unlikely to be purchased by a competitor. Heck if the price were not outlandish I'd buy the .com version myself but honestly would still market the site using .info
A customer comes to our .info site because we send them there not because they know about .info If they check out the .com or mistakenly type it in then the for sale sign does not compete against us, it only shows the .com is not open for business and may never of even had a business. Now I consider the "better version" the site with the actual content and 'info' the future buyer came to find. It's nice to be in a position where big brother genericname.com is not competing. If the dot com version were an actual competitor then as long as the customer visited both our site and theirs then we would just have to get the sale the way we do anyway... earn it. Do it better whatever it is and the customer won't care that we are not THE .com
You very well may be correct on your 95% of the sites your looking at. It does not really matter to the 5% of people registering and using the other names. I'm glad to have been able to snag some .info names of relevence to my particular trade, their value is certanly much higher than the registration fee. The names with true value are not the ones sitting on a 'for sale' showcase site with 'potential' but rather the ones put to work now to accomplish a job.

If you are buying .biz or .info on speculations then checking the .com and other tld versions and not buying because .com is for sale and not been sold, you very well may be limiting some potentials unless your only selling to the people that cant think outside of .com You may do better if saying to widget company x
that widget.com is for sale at $500,000 and I'll sell you widget .biz/info/us for lets say $1000 and point out to them the unlikelyhood of competitor y shelling out the $500,000 either then all of a sudden your $1000 tag looks very attractive. Not a bad profit on some non .com url that cost you a nominal registration fee. An end buyer of a domain name is looking for a return on their investment and it can be done by purchasing .biz or .info Speculators need to be able to learn what their eventual customer really wants to buy and what price they are able and willing to pay. I am not a speculator but just wanted to give you one perspective from an end user of names. .info and .biz generic names have great value IMO

Hopefully those .biz names you have will return a better return than you might think. Hopefully they will not sit on a 'for sale' site too long. Get them in the hands of someone that will use them.

Best of luck.

T

Tee

I agree fyi and I think your thinking will be shared by many actually in turn increasing overall recognition of the extension, creating typeins and increasing value overall to speculators.

.Info has real potential to be used. That is its strength.

You said you would use the info to advertise even if you had the .com. Why? Cause it makes sense?

Because .com is too expensive in reality? These are both true in my opinion.

We'll see...

I only have 4 .info domains, 1 of which is the variant of timechange to protect my trademark. The other three are intented to have information on the subject. I would not register a .info to resell, not in a million years :D

T

Tee

Thank god! Less competition.

The part I'm interested in is that you are interested in a subject. Hell you might even use the names right? So they are useful. Imagine many people using these names to share information. Imagine big business seeing this natural inclination of use.....

Nothing like usefullness to send the value of something straight through the roof.

God help us all.

The ones I registered I had no intention to resell. Therefore I registered them having in mind development in the long term. They are physical or historical sites. But as far as seeing a reselling trend in .info or businesses switching to .info, I disagree. They will have to take .Net first over .info and that even is not happening any time soon. As a matter of fact though, I have sold 2 .Net domains to .info holders. They were so clueless about the whole market that they had not even registered the .US version, which I consider superior to .info

T

Tee

Why would they have to use .net before info? That's weird. Were they isps or something?

I do agree that .us is a great extension, for many reasons, but I believe .info to be the best extension on the internet period, of course not the most powerful yet.

.Com is the king and this is because it was born and branded with the birth of the commercial internet.

.Info works well imo because info makes much sense, not just on the internet, but anywhere. Take a word, any word, and put info after it. Its like magic. It has a relevance.

Do you guys think some nonsense word like .com (ok its an abbreviation for commercial - i get it) is gonna come in and brand itself over .com? Not likely.

The only chance is relevance and .info is ridiculously relevant.

.Net describes a structure. It is geeky sounding. It was a cheesy movie (lol). It was crushed in .coms weight beyond its direct relevance meaning. I do like it though I admit.
Info is much better than net because it refers to information, I mean forget the internet, information is power, is king.

But .info is hot, inspite of the problems. The street says: Info is mad hot.

Anyways, I do wish everyone does well with their speculations.

T

Tee

Actually, I really like what you say there:

I registered them with no intent to resell.

This is what .info needs in the purest form. It needs use so its relevance and ease of rememberance can get the exposure it needs to create awareness. Its just needs some advertising, and your use of it, as opposed to speculator sittings, is what will give it exposure, at least on the micro level.

Many are registering to offer information on a subject.

You dont think big business is gonna want a piece of this?

T

Tee

In any case, I'm not saying .info will replace .com.

No no.

I'm saying .info will stake a huge and powerful niche - the niche of direction.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"You may do better if saying to widget company x
that widget.com is for sale at $500,000 and I'll sell you widget .biz/info/us for lets say $1000"
Sure.
All i'm saying is it's not like the "for sale" .com version is still a "for sale" because the owner asks for $500000.It's much more likely they offer it for a decent price and still no one is interested in buying in it.Plus, i was talking about the situation where you indeed register a .biz for a maybe resell reason while you talked about a 4 sale page being no competition to an .info SITE.

Seems this is a debate that could go on forever.

Camp 1) Have most likely already benefited from the sales value and type in value of .com and prefer their own evidence to speculation.

Camp 2) Have invested in .info and are speculating that it will become a major player based on it being meaningful. They also have most likely not had a positive first hand experience with .com.

Both camps are biased by their holdings, experience, hopes and expectations.

Its not like our discussing this here will have any impact whatsoever on the marketplace as a whole as they will do what they want to do regardless.

QUOTE]Originally posted by safesys
Seems this is a debate that could go on forever.

Camp 1) Have most likely already benefited from the sales value and type in value of .com and prefer their own evidence to speculation.

Camp 2) Have invested in .info and are speculating that it will become a major player based on it being meaningful. They also have most likely not had a positive first hand experience with .com.

Both camps are biased by their holdings, experience, hopes and expectations.

Its not like our discussing this here will have any impact whatsoever on the marketplace as a whole as they will do what they want to do regardless.
[/QUOTE]

safesys,
I cant figure out which of the 2 camps you would put me in?
Must I pitch my tent outside of camp?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys

Yeah, but it sure feels good to get a one up on a baseless, biased and blasphemous argument :D

Here's my outlook for the next 18 months:

1. COM rules supreme
2. NET rises from its ashes
3. US heavily used
4 ORG used as an alternative, little growth
5. BIZ about the same
6. INFO down down down
7. Other TLD's: forget it

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK...:)
here is mine, coincidently, more or less the order they all appeard.

1. COM rules supreme (no question about that)
2. NET holding strong (always a no#2)
3. ORG always there for the non-comps and oragnisations
4. INFO 1st real GTLD to have potential
4 BIZ 2nd real GTLD to also have potential
5. US Hmmm, If you really think about it on a global scale..its no better than any other CCtld, the reason most here like it is BECAUSE its .US (you are all in the US). Same is true for .jp for the japanese, .nu for the russians, .de etc.....
6. oh and the REST in random order (who cares :))

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My turn :cool:

1. I'll be rich
2. You'll still be struggling along with your dotcoms.

:D :D :D

Heres mine:

.com will be business as usual, plenty of high ticket sales and traffic revenue
.info will be used by the smaller webmasters who speculated in it but can't get buyers
.us will get reasonable take up as a patriotic addon to the .com IF there are any good ones left outside of speculation
.org will continue for the non profits as normal
.biz will continue to be seen as the ugly sister tld
.net will slowly slip down

T

Tee

My list is very similars to safesys, however, I think the use of .info by low level webmasters will lead to use by business in general in a supplementary way with .com at first with eventual direct use in some/many cases giving it value. Usefullness = value. The "usefullness" may partially have impetus from scarcity, but the relevance of info will take over from scarcity to imo show genuine appeal in terms of the relevance and remerability of "info"in the world and on the ultimate information medium.

However, I do believe com will remain the major business extension. Not to say if .biz is used by business it wont make some ground.

Like safe said, the reality will be the reality no matter what we do say here - however, what we do say here does in fact affect the way things happen - it all contributes in a micro way.

I predict here and now there will be major info resales in fall/early winter. This will cause the first real .info rush, much, much smaller than the .com rush, but a rush nonetheless and vastly opening up awareness of info on a few levels. From that point on, this goldrush, coupled with some use of .info, will allow the natural advantages of an info extension on the internet to come in to play. These advantages are relevance, smoothness (can you say sports.info?), an implied neutralilty, multilingualness, and ease of remembrance and it representing basically the internets core use, to obtain information for learning or making purchases (often the same thing - in addition to using email).

Hey, we'll see right?

The problem if/when there are "real" sales in .info it will become even more heavily speculated than it already is as sales attract speculators (look at the effect of the beauty.cc "transaction" or the recent .ws press release)

T

Tee

Yeah safe, but those are kinda lame. .Com is very heavily speculated in - its the king of speculation. .Info can still work with all the speculation. .Com does.

Besides. most people dont know how to speculate as evidenced by all the crappy .com droppings. This will happen with info too. But it is the effect of greater awareness created that is important. And I'm not arguing .info in general will get .com resell prices. .Com doesnt get .com resell prices anymore (lol). But it will resell and especially with very good generics, resell for very high amounts - imo. Causing in turn a rush for names and the accompanying advertisement of the extensions causing info as an extension on the internet to become ingrained in our brains like .com was, only info actually makes sense, again, like a bach song. (lol)

Another group of seeders of info will be the guerilla marketers, taking advantage of infos impartialness sound, eventually dominating the se's creating awareness of the ext on that level.

Speculation yes, but we'll see (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators