Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Introducing "WWYP?" appraisals

A domain name used to have to be owned by the user requesting other members to make a domain name appraisal on DNForum.

Though, members sometimes would like to know what others would pay for a domain name prior to clicking up that "Buy Now" button. The reasoning behind wanting to know a value of a domain without owning it is understandable. There are always going to be new members entering the industry that can't quite gauge what a domain is worth and ultimately what they should end up paying for it.

New investors don't want to get wrapped up in a domain, buried in debt, and ultimately forever get turned off domain name investing because they got in too deep, only because they couldn't get pricing assistance at the beginning of their short-lived careers.

Everyone's able to run domains through automated tools—such as Estibot, etc.—to get some sort of value breakdown. So, why not be able to ask users on the original domain community too?

If you don't have ownership of the domain you would like to appraise or get insight on, you can now make what is called a "What Would You Pay?" appraisal thread. Simply select the "wwyp?" prefix over "appraise" before posting so that we're all aware that it's not poster-owned.

Hopefully, the exchange of information in this new appraisal format will be able to empower everyone to make better investing decisions for a better career and a brighter industry future.

There's not much that we would hope to gain from users making these new appraisal requests. We would only hope that requesters remember where they obtained their knowledge from. Meaning, after they understand what's behind a good domain, they'll return to only help form the foundation of other members in "wwyp" appraisals.

Darlington Omeh

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea and a good addition to the forum. Maybe you'd need to stick this thread at the top of the Appraisal section.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

The issue with that, could be..... another members active sales thread.

it wouldn't be right to ask for such wwyp appraisals of a domain, that is being sold on the forum,
as that would be the same, as making comments in sales posts -
which is not permitted, unless there is interest in purchasing the domain.

there could also be issue of someone seeking wwyp for domains that they know they can't afford.

i think it's good though, if someone has serious intention on buying the actual name in question or are currently in a negotiation and are seeking price advice, etc.
that type of advice is helpful and can be timely, too

imo....

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it's kind of unfair to the other side that may not yet have a handle on pricing. Everyone has to start somewhere and not being able to buy names at a good price point may hinder success.

On the flip side, it may become problematic if names that are currently for sale on here are also getting wwyp appraisal requests. I think we have to address it when the time comes.

In the meantime, we could hide wwyp from search engines.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it's kind of unfair to the other side that may not yet have a handle on pricing. Everyone has to start somewhere and not being able to buy names at a good price point may hinder success.
Hi

i can understand the wanting to "help" part,
but.... there is no unfairness in the realm of learning.

each individual must put in the work to educate themselves,
even if it's trial and error, like many of us did in the past.

was it unfair to us then?
time, was the only element that prevented us from getting the domains that were available to register, before we found out about domain names.
had we got in sooner, then domaining might be quite different for us.
but there was no unfairness in that learning curve or along the way.

buying names at a good price point, is easier for one who has learned to "buy the right domains" and has the capital to do so.
but when we throw budgets in the mix, then that separates quality availability, within one's budget range.

as for newbies, majority of them seem to get introduced to the bot and other appraisal tools,
then they go register a list of names based on values provided by the results of those tools.

that confusion between what an appraisal tool values a domain and what domainer opinion values the domain at,
in those cases, will always be less than tool appraisal.

when i started, there were no appraisal tools of confusion, which to me, makes that the only unfair part for newbies.

imo....

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some good points, @Biggie.

I think only time will tell whether this will be adopted or not.

I'm thinking that the threads, at a minimum, should be hidden from search engines until we get to a point of whether or not to keep the addition.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree👍
I'm thinking that the threads, at a minimum, should be hidden from search engines until we get to a point of whether or not to keep the addition.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good points Don👍

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
making comments in sales posts -
which is not permitted

If we just think a little "ouside the box" for a moment: Why is that, exactly?
I understand not wanting to have sale threads bumped because of comments, or mixing comments with what is supposed to be only dedicated to sales, etc. I also understand some kind of "this is how we always did it" which may exist.

But what would be wrong about commenting sales, exactly? It would give valuable information to both potential buyers and to the seller. It would confront ideas, opinions and POVs. It would create some engagement (including about the names being sold) and a possible attractive portion for the forum. Etc.

People can always do it somewhere else if they want to, and you can't prevent it (be it in private emails, any private or semi-private group system, or even in public).

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what would be wrong about commenting sales, exactly?
Hi

i first joined staff as a mod on DNForum.com back in 2004, when Greg Ricks owned the forum,
then stayed on when Adam Dicker owned it for several years.
When Castion and Oliver took over DNForum.com, I assisted as moderator and most recently helped Amplify thru the transition to where it is today.

Now, over those years, i've seen some silly shit being posted in another members sales threads,
from others trying to posting "their" names in another members thread,
to comments like "your name isn't worth asking price" being posted in that sales thread.

such comments are unfair to the seller and since OP's can't edit other members comments, then it is left to staff to review and edit.
you can't have disruptions like that, in a sales post, when you're trying to conduct business.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, you had an overall matured mindset of individuals, then, it might be different.

an example in reverse scenario would be the Domains Wanted section, where the OP has specific criteria for the domains sought.
then you see people posting their names, when the OP asks for PM's only, or they ask for .com only and folks are posting non .com names.
IF and that's another BIG IF, members would "respect" other members request in totality, then... it might be different.

and that's why comments in sales threads are prohibited.

imo.....

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
such comments are unfair to the seller and since OP's can't edit other members comments, then it is left to staff to review and edit.
you can't have disruptions like that, in a sales post, when you're trying to conduct business.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, you had an overall matured mindset of individuals, then, it might be different.
Thanks for the explanations.
On one hand, I do understand.

Let's say it's fair enough to want to not have "disruptions" like this *IN* sales posts. But if it's in a different thread, one dedicated to discussing the name and price, it's not the same. This is what it was about.

Saying a name "isn't worth" the asked price is useful information for everybody. As long as it is the true and honest opinion of the person saying it (in the end it stays only this: HIS opinion). Ideally someone saying something like this should justify it, and say why he (legitimately) thinks so (+answer the questions which may follow his assertion). When it is some cheap shots just to denigrate, that's not cool and clearly unwanted.

Isn't the overall "matured mindset" happening? The worst people are and will stay on the "other forum" ;)

You will always have a few a$$*oles saying ****y things. But is the solution to forbid entirely to everybody to discuss things? Maybe not the best one. It may be appealing, but isn't good overall nor on the long term (here too: Only my opinion).

As for people trying to push their names, yeah, a lot of people are tempted to do this. They see that it could potentially lead to a sale. Sometimes, it comes with a quite good intention: Thinking it could be a good fit for the person. Even when it isn't exactly what the guy asked for, maybe he could change his mind when seeing the name. Here too: There are sometime legitimate opportunities to do it, and sometime (often?), it's just being out of line. "Matured mindset" people would know when to refrain to do this, and when maybe it could be done. Not easy. And the limit is quite blurry.

Anyway, in short: Discussing name+price in another thread may be acceptable, while it is unwanted IN the sales threads. IMHO.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Saying a name "isn't worth" the asked price is useful information for everybody. As long as it is the true and honest opinion of the person saying it (in the end it stays only this: HIS opinion). Ideally someone saying something like this should justify it, and say why he (legitimately) thinks so (+answer the questions which may follow his assertion). When it is some cheap shots just to denigrate, that's not cool and clearly unwanted.
Hi

such comments like " isn't worth" asking price, are detrimental to a sale.
regardless to whether it is their true opinion or not.
you have lots of aspiring domainers who do not know value or who can't see potential and they will make those type of comments, if permitted to do so.
and...with their limited knowledge, how can their opinion be given any weight?

still, there are times when comments are allowed in a sales thread,
for instance, after the name has been sold, then comments like "great sale" "nice buy", "congrats", etc have been allowed to remain.
back in the day, when we did have an overall "matured mindset", when a sale like this occurred, everybody came out to comment >

imo....

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators