Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

iphones.mobi stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now if I sold you iphones.mobi, how could I monitor the explosive growth of .mobi? :)
We'll keep you updated on the growth.

This is a serious offer to negotiate the purchase/sale should you choose to sell.

No rush, no pressure. If you do not want to sell, I perfectly understand.

In the meantime, I need to ensure that I could promote Apple branded apps and widgets. I do not want to lose it in a WIPO should we reach a deal.

This is a sincere offer to negotiate. No one needs to know our business.

This is not showmanship or one upmanship.

Thanks!

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So again I'll ask someone. Why do you think Microsoft hasn't come up with a page on Microsoft.mobi in ONE year when it thought .mobi good enough to back it?

Now this may seem a little off the wall, a little wacky perhaps, but try to imagine this for just one minute: maybe, just maybe, they haven't made it project numero uno yet. Or maybe they are working on it - or maybe they're not. They are predominantly a software company, not primarily domainers.

I'm sure that if you put a call through to Bill, he'll gladly let you know his business plan for the immediate future.

(I'll piss myself laughing if microsoft.mobi gets launched in the next few weeks:lol:)

Do you think DNJ would be writing about Frank Schilling this month, if he had waited to see if a major corp bought all the good names before him.

For every Frank Schilling there must have been 10,000 sashas who thought he was mad.

Now if my investment turns sour, the downside is a few grand - I lost as much the moment I drove my new car out of the showroom; I knew that when I bought it; it's sitting in the garage now losing money every second - no chance of an upside whatsoever. Same with my Rolex. And I don't get a rebate on the vacations we take. But with my .mobis, things are very different.

One final thing - quit with the 'are you getting personal' nonsense - most people here aren't as touchy.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now this may seem a little off the wall, a little wacky perhaps, but try to imagine this for just one minute: maybe, just maybe, they haven't made it project numero uno yet. Or maybe they are working on it - or maybe they're not. They are predominantly a software company, not primarily domainers.
Now this may seem a little off the wall too, but try and imagine for a minute, just one minute that Dell, IBM, Coke, Nike, Walmart, Compaq, Ford, Toyota, etc. etc. haven't found it necessary to put up even a "hi" on their .mobis either, eve though they all have mobile websites.
I used Microsoft as just an example of several other huge companies. I thought you would be smart enough to figure that out.

Now while you're on it, think about this thing too: the only way .mobi will break into the public consciousness is through advertising. Thats the way any new commodity is broken to the public. Why do you think .com gets the traffic it does? Because every damn company puts up ads with the "companyname.com" on them (may companyname.co.uk in UK). Do you thik any company would want to spend even 10% of that advertising budget to advertise a .mobi, when the .com is already established and has been advertised everywhere? Advertising the .mobi then becomes an extra expenditure - a BIG expenditure.

Suppose you run a company on XYZ.com. You have a 100 billboards in London with your website XYZ.com. Now you acquired XYZ.mobi. But since no one really knows of .mobi, your XYZ.mobi receives little or no traffic. So what do you do? Do you put up a 100 more billboards in London saying "XYZ.mobi"? Or do you take down 50 from the existing 100 and put up new ones saying XYZ.mobi? Either way, you'll be spending extra money that you didn't need to.

.mobi is caught in a catch-22 situation. People won't know about the extension without advertising. But advertising a new extension is counter productive when you already have advertised the hell out of the .com.

I'll agree with everything you've said the day I start seeing even half as many billboards with .mobi as I see with .com

One final thing - quit with the 'are you getting personal' nonsense - most people here aren't as touchy.
Tell that to the people who've been banned multiple times because of .mobi related arguments. I want to avoid an ugly scene, thats it. Sooner or later, personal comments tend to get out of hand. This is about an extension, not you or me.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now while you're on it, think about this thing too: the only way .mobi will break into the public consciousness is through advertising. Thats the way any new commodity is broken to the public. Why do you think .com gets the traffic it does? Because every damn company puts up ads with the "companyname.com" on them (may companyname.co.uk in UK). Do you thik any company would want to spend even 10% of that advertising budget to advertise a .mobi, when the .com is already established and has been advertised everywhere? Advertising the .mobi then becomes an extra expenditure - a BIG expenditure.

Advertising in general has a very, very short lifespan. Adverts are reprinted, repasted, modernised and reshot almost constantly. Doesn't cost any extra to put the .mobi site alongside the .com.

Every new .mobi site that sees any traffic, from my tinpot little sites, to the bofas etc, is exposing the user to .mobi.

My brother-in-law is in advertising; he only became aware of .info in recent months (can't remember exactly when but it was some point this year). He's been an advertising exec for 30 years. He already knew about .mobi before I told him. Now, can you explain that?

Suppose you run a company on XYZ.com. You have a 100 billboards in London with your website XYZ.com. Now you acquired XYZ.mobi. But since no one really knows of .mobi, your XYZ.mobi receives little or no traffic. So what do you do? Do you put up a 100 more billboards in London saying "XYZ.mobi"? Or do you take down 50 from the existing 100 and put up new ones saying XYZ.mobi? Either way, you'll be spending extra money that you didn't need to.

.mobi is caught in a catch-22 situation. People won't know about the extension without advertising. But advertising a new extension is counter productive when you already have advertised the hell out of the .com.

I'll agree with everything you've said the day I start seeing even half as many billboards with .mobi as I see with .com

Tell that to the people who've been banned multiple times because of .mobi related arguments. I want to avoid an ugly scene, thats it. Sooner or later, personal comments tend to get out of hand. This is about an extension, not you or me.

Oh I see, just keeping another eye out for us! BTW, who's ever been banned for mobi related arguments?

[/QUOTE]

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stats, analysis, etc. don't mean much really, if you don't see the brands that really matter building up actual websites. I'm sure you'll agree with that.

Stats, analysis, etc. don't mean much reallymean everything. Do you think for one moment that any company is going to enter a market without stats, anaylsis, and a marketing plan? Wow, where did you study marketing, business, and economics at?

What you are not seeing is the brands you want to see, and I have no idea what the hell is that. There is list after list after list after list of "brands" but rather than see what is there you want to look for what is not there. But you only want to focus on brands that you say matter...but matter to you. Again, you own analysis is rift with personal opinion. No data, no stats, no analysis.

Guess what. BMW.eu redirects to BMW.com, BMW.cn and BMW.in does not resolve. What does that mean? Are we to assume BMW is a failure? A loser? Or .in and .cn is bogus? According to your assessment and previous analysis, those that do not resolve are not worthy of existence. It is hype. Who needs em.

Doc, the thing is, you and many of the .mobi supporters see the extension and mobile internet from a western or developed world perspective. I see it from a developing, or what you can call "third world" perspective. Where I come from, mobile internet is about 5 years away. I've lived all but one year of my life in India - a country that many here would like to believe is a "huge" market.

Dude, you have no idea how long I have studied these markets from a perspective of emerging markets and not as "third world" countries. Yahoo just announced a deal to provide yahoo mobile search for the 6 top mobile carriers in the Asian Pacific.

Go to google, do a search for mobile subscribers by country or region. You'll come up with stuff like this:

China Mobile subscribers top U.S. population
Companies are targeting the millions of potential subscribers still untapped in China, India

For China Mobile, growth has accelerated since it hit its first 100 million subscribers in July of 2002. It only took the company just a year and a half to add the next hundred million users, reaching 201.0 million at the end of November, 2004. To sustain its breakneck growth, the company began targeting ads at users in China's vast interior last year. There are still millions of potential subscribers, with China's population estimated at nearly 1.4 billion now.

India is the only country rivaling China in terms of subscriber growth these days. The nation added nearly 74 million new wireless subscribers last year, to end with a total of 149.5 million, according to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). The regulator estimated India's population at nearly 1.11 billion people at the end of last year.

The number of mobile phone users in India has grown at over 6 million per month over the past few months, compared to 5 million per month in China.

Forget Google.cn. The top search engines in China are Baidu and Sina and each have Baidu.mobi and Sina.mobi. So it is not a fad, it is meeting a demand and a growing trend.

Nor is it hype. These do called "third world" countries are not third world anymore. Take ONKOSH.COM, the first arabic search engine that accepts both arabic and English (roman) characters. A multi million dollar venture to serve the arabic population of the world. But take note, at the same time they launched ONKOSH.com they launched ONKOSH.mobi. More hype? Or providing a needed service to their market.

Google WiLDnet. See how this will dramatically alter those areas that have little internet access across the globe in nations like those found on the African continent.

How about these headlines:

Indian Mobile-Phone Subscribers to More Than Triple From 2006 to 2011
Apr 11, 2007

India in 2006 emerged as one of the world's fastest-growing wireless telecom markets, with the number of mobile-phone service subscribers in the nation growing to 149.5 million, up from 85 million in 2005.

And the number of new subscriber additions continues at a torrid pace. Monthly mobile subscriber additions averaged 5.5 million in 2006, and exceeded 6 million per month by the end of the year. iSuppli Corp. projects that the wireless service subscriber base in India will rise to 484 million by 2011, more than three times the 149.5 million in 2006.

If you think this is hype, then you need to disprove these statistics published for the benefit of mobile manufacturers, telecom carriers, and marketers.

If you think that all of this is propaganda, disprove it.

5 years away from getting anywhere close to that mobile internet hype, and I believe China wouldn't be too different either since we're so similar in much of our developmental processes.

So for me, so much hype for something thats going to take 5 years to take root in a country representing 1/6th of the world's population is unwarranted.

If you want to wait 5 years, then you'll be more than three years behind.

Do you own research, market analysis, with data...forget the opinions. Opinions carry no weight in commerce and technology. Other wise we would be banging this out in morse code.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think we will see how strong .mobi is now with dnf.mobi on sedo auction ;)

Shameless plug.

Doc Com, where do you see the mobile forums going in the future as we chat here would you via mobile device ?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc Com, where do you see the mobile forums going in the future as we chat here would you via mobile device ?
Forums, hell who needs forums to prove or disprove its worth.

The Japanese are writing and publishing books from their mobile phones!

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/0...p-selling-books-are-written-on-mobile-phones/

My big fingers and thumbs won't bang these things out on a qwerty keyboard.

This site (dnforum.com) is not even worth attempting to use a cell phone (mobile). It is not mobile compliant. Sure, it will render automatically to fit my Helio, but not as a fully functional site. When I switch to HTML format, I get the full site on the screen. How horrible is that? Imagine having to endlessly scroll to find the sign in and to enter that info and then endlessly scroll the menu items.

Mobility.mobi on the other hand is mobile compliant. I have entered text and chat from the doctors office using this site on my helio. No problems what so ever and quick load times.

But every one try it yourself. No one is going to believe me. So do it yourself.

It's a no brainer!

Shameless plug.
You said it, not me.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So what would be a great project is developing dnf.mobi is what youre saying, take it to the next level ! Dont waste time proving but preneuring ! EWndless possibilities grab a cloud ride the skies and mobilize Im a poet and dont know it...lol there I go again.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JP..you been smokin my sh*t jigga?

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whoever had put money into the .mobi tld hold tight :) time will tell you whether your investment is worth it or not. As Sashas mentioned untill the .mobi sites are advertized big time in Television and magazines it is not going to make a difference.

Growing number of mobile subscribers etc etc etc is very irrelevant. How come they know about .mobi until there is mass adaptation and advertising.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whoever had put money into the .mobi tld hold tight :) time will tell you whether your investment is worth it or not. As Sashas mentioned untill the .mobi sites are advertized big time in Television and magazines it is not going to make a difference.

Growing number of mobile subscribers etc etc etc is very irrelevant. How come they know about .mobi until there is mass adaptation and advertising.
You are looking towards traditional advertising for non-traditional media.

We have seen this advertised in banks, in subways, in movie theaters. You are less likely to see this in magazines as magazine subscriptions are WAY down. Advertisers wanting to put their ad dollars to work to promote mobi are going to do it where? Where the people are...not where the people are not.

Unfortunately I had to give up my Carolina Panther tickets to a good friend this year. They play in the Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, in the shadows of Bank of America tower. As much advertising that they have already done inside the bank branches, I have no doubt they are heavily promoting inside the stadium. Plus, just signing a deal for the Official Bank of the NFL is a good thing.

It has come down to seeing it in non traditional places that already many or our European counterparts have reported and photographed.

It makes no sense to put it on radio when figures show internet advertising will over take radio in ad expenditures in early 2008. PCWorld Magazine Australia edition has already stopped publishing. Here in the US we have PPV movies, TiVo, Cable...skip ads.

If it were me and my budget, I would put it in the face of my target audience. We already had reports of .mobi for a Toshiba product being shown in the ads for the previews for Hitman at the movie theaters. High School Musical 2 is found at HSM2.mobi. Why is this? Everyone has a mobile phone with them. Not a PC, not a TV, not a laptop. Younger on the go crowd is the audience. Again, if it were my budget, the print ads would be in the airport and train station placards, on the banners and signage inside the commuter lines. In other words, I would not wait for my target audience to come to me. I would go to them.

There needs to be a serious re-think in the US as to how to market and target a newer and younger demographic. Some companies get it but most don't. Those that don't will lose some market share or have to spend even more to overtake those that are already on board.

So don't look for traditional advertising to promote .mobi. You won't see it or you will see very little of it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You would think that someone in their 50's would not have a notion at all about emerging markets, global commerce, new technology, socio-economics, and demographics.

Most people in this age would not be in tune to the world that is going on around them but would instead be set in their ways and not at all too keen on change or welcoming it.

You would think that someone who has spent nearly 30 years of their life in one form or fashion in adverstising, design, illustration, marketing, and consulting would be set in the old ways of doing things.

You would think that someone like that could come on here to this forum and learn something from the young bucks and teach an old man a new trick or two.

Y'all gonna have to bring more to the table.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Advertising in general has a very, very short lifespan. Adverts are reprinted, repasted, modernised and reshot almost constantly. Doesn't cost any extra to put the .mobi site alongside the .com.
[/color]

Putting two different websites side to side in an advert? Really? You'll just leave a confused customer. As a complete layman, if I see a .com and a .mobi advertised side by side, I'll think "now which one do I go to?".

Unless you start seeing the same banners, billboards, newspaper adverts saying "Now access our website from XXX.mobi", the general public won't know of .mobi
Oh I see, just keeping another eye out for us! BTW, who's ever been banned for mobi related arguments?

Just read the sticky thread :)

Doc, go and read my post again. I said MOBILE INTERNET is 5 years behind in India. Not mobile phones. We're concerned with the former here, not the latter. We still have download limits of 1 GB on our broadband. Mobile internet as a widespread phenomenon is still 5 years away in India.

Guess what. BMW.eu redirects to BMW.com, BMW.cn and BMW.in does not resolve. What does that mean? Are we to assume BMW is a failure? A loser? Or .in and .cn is bogus? According to your assessment and previous analysis, those that do not resolve are not worthy of existence. It is hype. Who needs em.

A ccTLD cannot be compared to a gTLD. Period. I don't need to give the reasons why. I think you know them yourself.
Stats, analysis, etc. don't mean much reallymean everything. Do you think for one moment that any company is going to enter a market without stats, anaylsis, and a marketing plan? Wow, where did you study marketing, business, and economics at?

Yes, they mean everything. But tell that to your friend mjnels who's based his decision on "gut instinct".
The stats, analysis etc. that you've given me so far prove one thing: that mobile internet is big/going to be big.
But thats something I don't deny at all. What I say is that mobile internet being popular doesn't mean that .mobi will follow suit, unless there's massive marketing. Domainers can't make an extension popular. Advertising dollars can.

Some advertising is free: for example, CNN.com putting up a banner for CNN.mobi is free to them. But CNN.com putting up a banner for CNN.mobi on NYT.com isn't free. Its mighty expensive, in fact. So CNN will have to make a decision: does it spend its money promoting an entirely new extension, or does it spend its money on reinforcing an already branded website? Unless and until CNN has a compulsion to promote .mobi, I can't see the former happening.

And even in this internet age, traditional means of advertising continue to be highly effective and won't phase out anytime soon.

And while you're on the subject of stats, one of my friends was running a list of Fortune 500 companies that have active websites on .mobi. So far, he's gone through just 60. Only 5 of those 60 had active websites on .mobi. I'll give the full stats once he's run through the entire list...you can't get bigger than the Fortune 500, can you?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i swear.. some people should just stick to government bonds.

yes, mobile internet will be huge.

.mobi might not..... but the friggin extention still exists and is the only one that says "mobile" unless ICANN approves more.

so, that is why some of us think .mobi is a cool concept.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute:

This is you:

Stats, analysis, etc. don't mean much really, if you don't see the brands that really matter building up actual websites. I'm sure you'll agree with that.

Now you say this:

Yes, they mean everything.

So I guess all I can do is sit back and have you tell me and everyone else when it is officially a success or a failure.

Otherwise, some serious time is being wasted here in a thread regarding iPhones.mobi.

So in the spirit of Christmas, Kwanza, hanukkah, Festivus, and any other thing that one can think of, my gift to you is you win. I concede.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Putting two different websites side to side in an advert? Really? You'll just leave a confused customer. As a complete layman, if I see a .com and a .mobi advertised side by side, I'll think "now which one do I go to?".

Unless you start seeing the same banners, billboards, newspaper adverts saying "Now access our website from XXX.mobi", the general public won't know of .mobi

Just read the sticky thread :)

Gosh - couldn't do that then....why, it'd be like putting a phone number AND a fax number on the same ad! Who'd be stupid enough to do that, eh?

So, firstly you said;

'it'll cost a fortune to advertise'

I showed you it wouldn't

then:

'it would be too confusing'

I showed you it wouldn't

can't wait to see what you come up with next - actually, I can wait......

As for the sticky thread ? Doesn't say who's been banned for mobi threads. Only one banned in there was for something totally different.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
famous quote from someone:
to be or not to be...that is the question

now it's...

to buy .mobi or not to buy .mobi

that is the question

Please guys no promo's of your .mobi auctions or solicitations to buy .mobi here.

Thanks

My question is not so much about .mobi but why do people assume that sooo much internet browsing will be done on a phone?

I'm sure this browsing "airtime" will be an additional cost, so with shrinking paychecks, layoffs, inflation, poor housing market etc, will consumers be willing to pay these costs just to shop on a phone, rather than pc's or laptops?

my prediction....at some point in the future, there will be a "resistance" movement to all this data flow via digital devices...

a movement back to analog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators