Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

L-L-L.com Available List, 10100 registered 7476 Available 218 premium left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is the source of this information?

Historically, successful companies do not slash advertising budgets during recession or bad times

You could not be more wrong. I had to pay for an Ivy League economics degree to learn this. What is your source?

Hey Pred, Doc, Huge, I seem to have provoked a bit of a firestorm with my comments, but nothing like we had here in SoCal this past week! Appreciate your responses, helps me learn.

For better or worse, ad spending is highly cyclical. And domain valuation is currently primarily a function of ad spending (i.e, "traffic"). I would advise clients at this point to maintain cash flow positive portfolios, in case there is a downturn. Keep free cash reserves in order to buy up domains should they become available.

Remember, we're in an inflationary / credit-tightening cycle right now. At no time in history has this not landed us in recession. There a famous American/Spanish poet named George Santayana who once wrote that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Kind regards,

SoCalBoy

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah cool.
Main point with these domains in general, like i said before was it has zilch to do with ad $ because thats a parking angle and adsense angle you're coming at.

These are low budget $500 - $5k domains, depending on buyer and seller.
They commonly come with low traffic but are perfect for acronym domains.
Its that simple.
We were just trying to stop you going off on a tangent that was unapplicable, thats all.

Many businesses want a LLL. Dont we all?
Either they're unobtainable because already is an established online business, seller doesnt want to selll or seller rightly wants a very high price.
These are an alternative, an alternative in wide use, as the developed L-L-L thread shows on another forum.

Even if a world recession hits, which looks like it has already, a business that has already lasted x/xx amount of years and plans on continuing to do so, is not gonna be bankrupted by a xxxx domain that can aid memorability and increase sales & give a better image.
In fact all these arguments can be used for a much higher domain purchase too.
Increasingly businesses are turning away from traditional advertising and moving enmasse to the net.
In fact more and more businesses are learning they can get more 'targeted customers' via direct navigation names (generics) and SAVE a fortune on google adsense $ etc.
The figures in the UK are in the Billions & percentage growth rates are increasing month on month, from online advertising and web spending by customers.

Anyway, like i say , we are drifting off the quite basic ambience & simplicity of a L-L-L.com.

In short, get 'em nailed! :smilewinkgrin:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could not be more wrong. I had to pay for an Ivy League economics degree to learn this. What is your source?
My source is 30 plus years of having been in or associated in the advertising business either as a creative director, advertising manager, and now a consultant.

Working through the same periods of the previous recessions, national and international crisis, periods of mega mergers and buyouts and the .com bubble burst.

I have and still do represent many national and international companies.

If you have an economics degree from an ivy league school then you should know all about diversification and emerging markets. And I ain't talking domaining here.

If corporations slash advertising budgets during recessions or tough economic times, then why did GM not simply close up shop when Toyota took over the number three spot? Instead, GM adapted, adopted, altered, and overcame adversity to retake the number three spot through style changes and listening to the customer and offering services and a product customers want and need.

Now all of that is great in concept and theory but means squat if it is not put into action. That is where advertising and promotion comes in. Plenty of it and saturating the market.

Need more examples? I can provide tons of them.

An economics degree should have also brought you a bare bones course in marketing and advertising where successful companies live or die by the AIDA principle and forumla. This is crucial in the success and continued success (or failure) of any company or institutional business model.

I did not have to pay for an ivy league education to learn this. It was a smaller liberal arts college in the south I attended that focused on smaller instructor/student ratios.

So nearly 30 years in the business (even though I have since changed careers and professions but still take on consultant and free-lance projects) helps define my knowledge base and source of information.

For some things, there's MasterCard. For others, money can't touch it.

BuyandSwap

Public Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
New 27th October 2007 2nd scan l-l-l.com available list updated on bluebecker.com

Available: 529 Registered: 17047

20 domains were taken since last update on the 27th October 1st scan.

w-p-x is available i know of a poker site called world poker exchange maybe contact them ?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trickling down. Siggy updated :yes:

These double letter combos, still available when last checked;

QQM
QQX
VVY
QQK
VQQ
YYF
VQQ
YYG
YYH
QQT sold
XXJ
YYB sold
YQQ
YYQ
QQZ
QQL
QQO
XZZ sold
XXQ
XXG
QZZ
YVV

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doc, I decided to test your hypothesis. I looked at the stock performance of several major international ad companies during the last recession, the first time .coms figured into the picture: Omnicom Group (OMC), WPP Group (WPPGY), Publicis (PUB), Interpublic Group of Companies (IPG), and Havas (HAVS).

They all suffered major stock declines (50%+). This is indicative of the fact that their earnings dropped. Your particular department or focus area may have been steady, but you have to look at the total picture.

Ad spending is discretionary. And as the stock charts show, it is cyclical. Will the overall growth of the internet be enough to counterbalance the macroeconomic effects of the next recession? I don't know. I just don't see this as a "defensive" play. Rather, it's highly speculative, and probably quite leveraged.

Like I said, I'd focus on the ones that make money, and have a nice cushion just in case. I think the future is definitely on the internet, but it's not going to be straight up. It just looks a littly frothy and overextended right now, that all.

I just sold 2 domains to someone who told me he bought them just because he thought he could eventually sell them for more. Nothing having to do with their revenue potential. That sounds like tulips to me.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, I decided to test your hypothesis. I looked at the stock performance of several major international ad companies during the last recession, the first time .coms figured into the picture: Omnicom Group (OMC), WPP Group (WPPGY), Publicis (PUB), Interpublic Group of Companies (IPG), and Havas (HAVS).

They all suffered major stock declines (50%+). This is indicative of the fact that their earnings dropped. Your particular department or focus area may have been steady, but you have to look at the total picture.
I can appreciate the time and effort you spent on such research. But I would be more inclined to know who or what industry they represent.

Again, if all suffered major stock declines this most likely parallels an overall decline in the stock market. Did billings/billables decrease by 50%? I bought Red Hat stock at about $7.5 per share, it dropped to $3.25, I later sold at $29.00. But this roller coaster ride mirrored the stock market in general.

I and my clients deal primarily in consumerables. Think cigarettes, NASCAR racing, alchoholic beverages, food stuffs, home improvement industry...national and international brands.

As you mentioned, diversification. If an ad company is heavy in one sector and that sector takes a major hit then that ad group may suffer. During the "dot com bubble burst" those that dealt primarily with the internet media probably took a massive hit.

The ad companies that depended on Enron and Adelphia most likely saw billable, revenue, and stock bottom out. Yet the utilities and media companies as a whole were not affected by these two fiascos. Same with Columbia Healthcare and another that escapes me at the moment...medicare/medicaid fraudulent billing, CEO's in federal prison. But the Healthcare industry as a whole faired well.

Isolated incidences can be the downturn of many an industry. If an ad agency is build upon one sector then they too stand to suffer and are vulnerable.

Additionally, one previous ad agency I used to free lance with suffered major set backs. Again, not sector or industry related but circumstantial. Their clients were Holly Farms bought out by Perdue Chicken, McLean Trucking who went bankrupt (pension fund robbed), RJ Reynolds forced buyout by KKR, Piedmont Airlines bought out by US Air, and controversial ABC (CBS?) Food Lion exposure.

With each of these circumstances, ad business went away from the immediate area...Perdue to Arkansas, US Air to Pittsburgh, RJR to Atlanta and Wachovia Bank went with them, and Food Lion plummeted. Phillip Morris and their ad firms did not suffer, nor did Bank of America, United Airlines, or Tyson Foods due to closures, buyouts, and mergers going on in their respective industries.

This particular ad company went from about $35mil in billings to perhaps $3mil. This was in the mid 80's. This was a publicly traded company as were all the corporations mentioned.

Needless to say, stocks for all these companies suffered set backs (buyer and buyee) but all rebounded in time.

What did all of these companies have in common? All were North Carolina based companies and their primary ad agency was local based. They went from 116 employees to perhaps 25-30.

So if you were to look up this particular ad agency you would see their stock plummet by perhaps 80% or more.

Yet, most of the corporations I know or other ad execs did not see a significant drop, unless it was the ones who handled the likes of eToys.com or other .coms that went belly up. Even then, they seemed to have pumped their final dollar into ad streams to attempt to add another day to the inevitable doom.

Some of your examples may have different and varying circumstances. I can not dispute your findings but I always do look at the big picture and the overall picture. And I know from personal experiences and from colleagues that many companies do not slash ad budgets. They may shift to different media or mediums, but no real significant ad cuts.

They operate on the premise of "out of sight, out of mind" is not conducive to surviving a recession.

Granted...even in the toughest of times people will spend their last dollar on a pack of cigarettes or 6 pack of beer if they are so inclined. But look at the home improvement sector in the current situation. Housing sales will be down, new home inventory at an all time high, foreclosures up. But the likes of Lowes and Home Depot should prosper as people stay put, don't buy up, spend money on their current home. And usually appliance companies may see a tick up along with the likes of Best Buy.

Extravagant items, including high priced domain names, will see a down cycle as some will put off major purchases.

Of course, this whole matter about to unfold would be dependent upon job lose or gain, layoffs, and bankruptcies.

All in all, difficult to predict the future. History indeed repeats itself. These times here in the states may define a new time as personal debt is at an all time high, foreclosures are sky rocketing, and I think we are getting ready to see another bailout of the Savings and Loan industry.

We may be getting ready to write a new chapter in history.

Those that survive the tough times plan for the tough times and bank on it, just as they do for the periods of growth and expansion.

And so it should go in personal endeavors, savings, and investments as well.

Okay, so how does all of this add up in relation to the L-L-L.com market?

Like the rest of the economy and future markets, wait and see.

Now, back to the game.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That is not an approach that would test your hypothesis. You are looking at overall spending. That is not what the statement said. Also, looking at stock prices, which is no substitute for income statement data as the stock market is a leading indicator and is not a measure on how well a company is doing in terms of revenue at the present time. That stock price approach is a not thought-through approach that would prove anything, I am not sure if you tried this because you didnt know better or if you wanted to take the easy-looking way.
What you would need to do in order to test the theory is take the companies that you would classify as most successful over the last 15 years (MSFT, GE, MO etc..) and check on their income statements their expenses on Marketing and Advertising.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:focus:

Whats the latest figures?
I mean, how many left???? :bolt:

BuyandSwap

Public Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
im doing a bluebecker.com scan before my son wipes hes noise on me, he has a cold :/

New 28th October 2007 l-l-l.com available list updated on bluebecker.com

Available: 507 Registered: 17069

22 domains were taken since last update on the 27th October 2007.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
507 left.
cheers dude

so close........:cool:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If there is a shortage of tulips, corn, sugar, gold or oil, you can grow more or mine more eventually and that sets the market back into balance. You can't do the same with domains, because there is only one of each. You either pay for the one you want, or find a cheaper substitute. Most people agree the market for domains will have it's ups and downs, but I don't see any 'deep recession lasting years' scenario, the internet is too important now for most people's everyday life, even for just emailing (which also requires a domain name).

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It may be a slow-drip death for the remainder...:smilewinkgrin:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sub 500. finally

i think drip to 200 or so, then maybe they'll all get nailed :cool:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sub 500. finally

i think drip to 200 or so, then maybe they'll all get nailed :cool:
Go back to watching american football, the way football was meant to be...there in Chelsea.

Ok, here it comes! Bring on the firestorm...Rugby vs. NFL!

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
'men' in tights, in crash helmets & body armour prancing around like queens.
no thanks.
you can have your 'world' series to yourselves
ROFL

BuyandSwap

Public Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
New 28th October 2007 2nd scan l-l-l.com available list updated on bluebecker.com

Available: 495 Registered: 17081

12 domains were taken since last update on the 28th October 2007 1st scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators