Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Leaving the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I must say I was having my doubts about the market ,but amazingly in past couple of days have had 8 enquiries and 3 confirmed sales today ,so things are looking ok after all ,touchwood. Oh, plus 2 threats to sue me which I always like because it means they really ,really do want, nay need, the domain,lol.

DG

Domain Summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bottom line: don't leave the boat if you can't swim :)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see ppc is on the rise, end-user sales are going up...reseller sales going down somewhat on the forums because domains can only change hands so many times before they end up with someone that actually keeps it lol

Right now is a good time to do whois inquiry pick-ups on old domains as people need gas $$$! ;)

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Possibly some domainers are experiencing the effects of the recession in the economy and the high cost of fuel for there cars.

Economys both sides of the atlantic are in recession and if fanny mae and freddy mac go to the wall that would be the perfect storm to tip the US into a recession not seen since the 1920s.

To keep things in perspective. The US has been in recession for some time now, If you wait for the Gov't or your typical TV pundit to admit it, you've waited too long and probably not raised enough cash as a result. As far as fanny mae and freddy mac, the stock market needs this type of calamity in order to capitulate and find a final bottom to the Bear. It will probably take a few more bank failures before this happens however. How does this effect domain investors? The stock market leads the economy by about 6 months on average...accurately determine the end of a Bear market and you now have a 6 month lead time to economy recovery.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As an economists, I believe a 2nd Depression born out of recent events which continue unabatted will happen - especially if the Avian Flu Pandemic takes off during this perfect storm we are witnessing nowadaze.

Greed Breeds Mean Deeds!

...and I'm see a tipping point with greed collapsing economic foundations out of America sending ripple effects around the World. Globalization has a lot left to be desired when protectionist measures have been taken to favour certain peoples/countries, rather than, for example, creating Common Wealth to the Sustainable Benefit of EVERYONE around the World. A House of Cards built on a 'economic faultline' begs to tumble all in due time.

China will probably emerge the Winner, as the Downfall of America (from it's peek of relevancy in the World) has started, imho.

The unfortunate gravitation towards Individualism will be the end of us all - as the Community Spirit continues to diminish.

Carpe Peaciem, and...
Good Luck & Best of Success in All Your Endeavours!

[(Someone's) god help us all]

Oh, as well, Ignorance of the Laws of Nature is NOT an Excuse for Commiting Planetcide - and to mention: Apathic Conformity to Wrongeousness has NEVER made the World a Better Place.

Last edited:

Meridian66

- x ɐ l ǝ ɹ -
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
China will probably emerge the Winner
No they wont. China has only advanced to its current level thanks to the massive and continuing input of foreign capital and technology. Yet the vast majority of Chinese are still terribly poor and have not benefited from China's economic growth. If the Western nations collapse, China will soon follow.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I initiated 5! Escrow transactions yesterday (and I thought that Monday is a slow day...) and they are all in the xx.xxx range. There are definitely buyers out there and many are outside of this forum, so your selling strategy shouldn't be just listing @ DNF seat and wait... Good luck!

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would also like to note that in order to be successful at domaining and domain sales one should consume cannabis regularly to reduce any stress & business anxiety. ;)

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would also like to note that in order to be successful at domaining and domain sales one should consume cannabis regularly to reduce any stress & business anxiety. ;)

Well as you are on the subject (www.drugdealer . (co uk) ) Only a very very basic website but some relevant articles perhaps, Focus.

DG

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think domains will grow, rather than fall, in value as a result of the recession. Here is my reasoning:

All recessions are caused by over accumulation of capital - meaning that the mass of profit made each year reaches a level at which it can not find profitable investment in production. This causes a crisis of credit. As people don't want to invest in production but have money they need to put somewhere (so inflation doesn't devalue their wealth) they seek to put it into commondities that will not deminish in value. Gold is the traditional commodity, oil seems to be one this time round too. Domains are similar - they are not in themselves productive, they are only used in part of the productive and distributive process in capitalism. Their value to the productive process won't fall as long as the internet remains, even if end users do not need them in the productive process. This will increase the number of speculators into domains that were previously in stock markets. Furthermore companies often try to market more, not less, during recessions - this could cause end user sales to stay at current levels or even get higher.

If anyone wants to understand how the economy works I highly highly highly recommend watching the video lectures on Capital by David Harvey on his website at www.davidharvey.org. I think theres about 25 hours of lectures, but they are well worth watching for understanding the economy and thus protecting your investments.

montel

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think domains will grow, rather than fall, in value as a result of the recession. Here is my reasoning:

All recessions are caused by over accumulation of capital - meaning that the mass of profit made each year reaches a level at which it can not find profitable investment in production. This causes a crisis of credit. As people don't want to invest in production but have money they need to put somewhere (so inflation doesn't devalue their wealth) they seek to put it into commondities that will not deminish in value. Gold is the traditional commodity, oil seems to be one this time round too. Domains are similar - they are not in themselves productive, they are only used in part of the productive and distributive process in capitalism. Their value to the productive process won't fall as long as the internet remains, even if end users do not need them in the productive process. This will increase the number of speculators into domains that were previously in stock markets. Furthermore companies often try to market more, not less, during recessions - this could cause end user sales to stay at current levels or even get higher.

If anyone wants to understand how the economy works I highly highly highly recommend watching the video lectures on Capital by David Harvey on his website at www.davidharvey.org. I think theres about 25 hours of lectures, but they are well worth watching for understanding the economy and thus protecting your investments.

Look at it this way - people who are selling their domains are trading one asset class for another. Typically they are switching from domains to US dollars. They then switch US dollars to equities (shares) or real estate (a house). The question is: what is the best store of value at the moment?

My opinion:
US Dollars - LOL negative return
GBP - only slightly better
Euro - potential downturn in late 2008
US Shares - negative return
Real Estate - bad times in US, UK, soon to be Spain
ETFs - the majority are just share funds
Bonds - no

Commodities - gold, oil etc - the only reliable option IMO

The real question:
Are domains better or worse than the above? Don't forget that after you sell your domains, you actually have to put them into something that will give a higher return. IMO - diversify.

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with montel's post above.

The diversification I'd recommend:

a) Generic domains
b) Short domains that don't have bad letters, etc
c) Gold
d) Oil futures
e) Shares in mining companies
f) Shares in oil companies, particularly exploration
g) Other metals

BrianH

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

a) Generic domains
c) Gold
d) Oil futures
g) Other metals

Could not agree more with this list. :cool:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd be careful with oil futures at these levels people. It's a bubble, as with any bubble it's always hard to call the top, but once it becomes common knowledge (as it is now) the only people left to pile in are the suckers.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well as you are on the subject (www.drugdealer . (co uk) ) Only a very very basic website but some relevant articles perhaps, Focus.

DG

Is that your mom on there dude? She was f'ugly to begin with..lol
Are you a drug dealer - why do you have a domain like drugdealer dot co.uk?

a) Generic domains
c) Gold
d) Oil futures
g) Other metals

I like this list...but be careful with Gold if you want growth..I think it's just about topped out. There are several other precious metals such as Silver that are seeing sustained growth rates and projected to do very well in the future. Along with platinum & palladium. Generic domains WITH traffic & revenue for a good price are the best possible investment you could make today imo. They will only become more & more valuable PLUS eventually pay for themselves to effectively become FREE "nest eggs"! :eek: :yes:

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oil will stay at these levels, no going back with the demand around the world. The U.S. will need to get used to paying like Europe and elsewhere. Maybe a few classes on how to spend money would help.

As for the domain market, I just sold a name yesterday. It's nice to get a bid request when you least expect it!

My dilemma now is getting past the .me auctions phase and 7/17 opening day. :eek: Rather, how many names can I pull up that will tempt me to purchase versus holding back to buy more affordable .com(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators