Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Leaving the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkMsia

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed all the new members on DNF nowadays? The stock market has been on a downfall, same with the real estate market and other venues. Investors all over are looking for new niches to put their $$$ in and domaining is getting more and more exposure in media, thus attracting more investors. I think we will see a lot of new investors in the domain market in the months and years to come. It also looks like the summer slowdown/global "recession" is about to end and the market is slowly picking up again. :eek:k:

Just my 2 cents..

Man, I love your positive thinking! I agree with your statement above. :approve:

Domain Summit 2024

DomainManMike

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of the material in this thread paints a great picture to middle/upper class 25-55 year olds looking to invest elsewhere. The best domain sale for me is a face to face or a phone-call.. and that is some good ammo for those communications.

I met a guy a month ago or so who is a ~35ish engineer fed up with work, looking to get into something else. Engineers can certainly learn the web trade.. so I encouraged him.. and I'm now in talks to sell a domain at a nice price.

PS: I mainly talk to others about web development, not domaining, because I'm afraid to shoot myself in the foot.

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised this thread "Leaving the boat" isn't the no. 1 ranked phrase on Google!:blush:

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Man, I love your positive thinking! I agree with your statement above.
I just wonder if this won't prevent some bargains, like I'm still into buying.

FreddyS

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All fine on our side, we are buying and we have to paying realistic prices, that means the market is not flooded by portfolios. Still enough buyers.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Already 2008 has been my best year for sales, both # names sold and in $ value, so no complaints here!

Beyond domains things are looking pretty good too. I have been renting the place we live for the past few years on a low rate deal. Now, people (especially in the UK) have a downer on renting, as if it's the poor mans choice; a year ago this place was conservatively valued at £550-600k - now it's down to about £450-500k. Bearing in mind the capital growth since I've been here, and now the slide in value, if I'd bought it instead of renting, and paid an interest only mortgage, I would be £50k poorer than I am now - even more if it were a regular mortgage!
While renting may be regarded as dead money, so are interest payments.

While many people are facing negative equity, I'm considering a move abroad to a warmer climate, better food, better education, higher standard of living etc. Actually I've already considered it - just trying to convince my wife!

Back to domains, I've just got a name that's perfect for a site I want to build into a fully fledged site and business. It's about a sport which is also my long term hobby - been involved in it for over 25 years on and off.

For me, this is the ultimate - being able to make money from something I love and know a lot about. While building this site / business, I will be making a template which can be copied to similar applications, like my kids hobbies etc.

As far as other investments go, to me, they are too much of a gamble - I don't know enough about them, and don't feel the need to learn - I'll stick to what I know. Another thing about investments; why invest in something that you personally cannot influence? If you buy a domain and it doesn't perform as well as expected, or PPC rev declines, at least you have options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com