Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Legality of this strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's such an odd idea that I am beginning to think it's all a lie and/or a linkbuilding campain by FishingBait.com to build links and get traffic?

Z - where did you find the idea if it's not your idea? You are not the owner of Fishingbait.com are you?

Domain Summit 2024

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So here is a synopsis of the plan.

1) Find an unsupecting company
2) Create a fake domain/link
3) Lie to them about the domain
4) Lie to them about their competitors
5) Make their competitors look like a-holes
6) Cheat them with that fake domain for a 500% profit

This would make you a Sleazy, Slimy, Illegal, Lame, Unethical, Immature, Immoral and Outright shameful Scumbag.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest risk is to accumulate a ton of worthless domains that nobody wants and depleting your wallet :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest risk is to accumulate a ton of worthless domains that nobody wants and depleting your wallet :)
Not only that, even holding a bunch of TM names can get you in trouble.

The Microsoft case against several Indiana residents comes to mind. I can not remember the specifics but it was hundreds of names registered to several individuals. People should take note that no WIPO was filed. Microsoft went straight to the jurisdictions and filed the appropriate legal documents.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol pathetic idea and time consuming for very little profit....there are much better respectable ways to make money in this industry..

Zockloros

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even though far worse things are done in business, the way you phrase you idea lead me to think that you don't take into account other people's feelings or take into account how your actions will appear to others.

You could accomplish the same thing in a much more respectable way by simply searching for websites online and buying names that were similar, with the hopes that there would be people who would want to protect their brand by buying non infringing names from you. That is legit. Like if someone had PAFish.com you could buy PAFishing.com.

There is a fine line and not many people are 100 percent pure when it comes to domaining. Big business isn't pure, either, and neither is small business. Everyone is looking for an edge.

What you are doing is essentially what domaining is all about, as long as you are not infringing on someone's trademark. Once again, there is a fine line.

But you are way more moral than those hypocrite domainers who clog up threads every time a world or national tragedy happens. These people waste everyone's time by calling out domainers who register names related to the tradegy, yet they never call out CBS or any other form of media who sells advertising for shows dedicated to those same exact events. It is the most ignorant and disgusting thing I have ever seen. A bunch of loser domainers who think it is immoral to register a name of a current event. Absolutely pathetic are those people with their condescending attitude. Those same people watch show after show about the tradegy, then go to the grocery store and buy their stupid Tide detergent for twice as much as the generic brand, all because Tide gets advertised on the show. And they don't even know how dumb they are.

So, you are way above most in the ethics department.

Thank you for the insightful post.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
unless he stole/copied it from someone else. Claims he makes $100/day.

http://www.moneymakerdiscussion.com...-day-selling-domain-names-small-business.html

The element of the scam that was not explained in the list was by redirecting to get the buyer (mark/sucker) to think he is buying his competitor's traffic. It's a something-for-nothing scam, with the elment of greed: get your competitor's business.

"When you buy the domain just do a re-direct to the prospect buyer rival website so when you show it to them they will see his competitors website in the domain. So they will be thinking that buying their rivals domain they will be taking their customers as well. But you are just selling the domain."
(in the comments)

Zockloros

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Eeedc, have you heard of the punctuation mark called quotations?

If you read OP, then you would see it is in quotations.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Eeedc, have you heard of the punctuation mark called quotations?

If you read OP, then you would see it is in quotations.

Yes I know how to use quotes, as I have used them in the post one up. But everyone makes mistakes from time to time.

When you use quotes, identify who said it unless you want to be 1) thought of the idiot who came up with a dumb idea as in this case or 2) accused of stealing/copying someone's good idea without giving them credit.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While it’s definitely illegal and unethical, after seeing the scam better explained on

http://www.moneymakerdiscussion.com...-day-selling-domain-names-small-business.html

sadly, I think it might work as a scam as long as one does not invest much in domain names.

It is in effect (fraudulently) offering small businesses the opportunity to get their competitors business cheap, for $50. It’s just like selling hot watches on the street that are not really hot, but cheap counterfeit watches.

The businesses might not even realize they have been scammed unless they keep a close eye on their Internet traffic and notice it does not go up.

When they noticed they were scammed, it’s only $50, and they really can’t go to the police saying “I thought I was buying a hot Rolex” or “I thought I was stealing my competitor's traffic.”

Zockloros

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While it’s definitely illegal and unethical, after seeing the scam better explained on

sadly, I think it might work as a scam as long as one does not invest much in domain names.

It is in effect (fraudulently) offering small businesses the opportunity to get their competitors business cheap, for $50. It’s just like selling hot watches on the street that are not really hot, but cheap counterfeit watches.

The businesses might not even realize they have been scammed unless they keep a close eye on their Internet traffic and notice it does not go up.

When they noticed they were scammed, it’s only $50, and they really can’t go to the police saying “I thought I was buying a hot Rolex” or “I thought I was stealing my competitor's traffic.”

Good analogy. Not only would police or lawyers not take such a complaint seriously, but also no business owner is going to waste time filing over $50.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good analogy. Not only would police or lawyers not take such a complaint seriously, but also no business owner is going to waste time filing over $50.
So, some of you believe that this is just petty crime or pranks?

Actually, I was hoping you'd do it so you could come back in about 18 months and tell us what it was like on the inside.

Fraud is fraud. Compound that times the number of times you do it and I really can't see a judge having much sympathy.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

As for your money making strategy - think small, gain small.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

repeat this step enough times and end up in Federal Prison.
No, I'm not joking.
We get it that you really "want" this to be ok. But it isn't ok. Again, if you refuse to accept that and decide to move forward... stock up on soap on a rope 'cause you're going to need it where you're going.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pulling $50 scams like shoplifting $50 worth of goods is unlikely to be punished with jail time.

But greed and overconfidence with successful petty crimes usually leads criminals to bigger crimes for which they get caught and seriously punished. In the original post, Z was even thinking about scaling and outsourcing the scheme (which I hope he abandoned by now) before he even pulled it off once.

It is a small gain. Many if not most real jobs pay more than this $50 scam or shoplifting and selling the loot on eBay.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NO, rip off a few hundred people using the same scam and you'll certainly end up in Federal Prison.
Anybody that does not see how, refer to post #2.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pulling $50 scams like shoplifting $50 worth of goods is unlikely to be punished with jail time.

But greed and overconfidence with successful petty crimes usually leads criminals to bigger crimes for which they get caught and seriously punished. In the original post, Z was even thinking about scaling and outsourcing the scheme (which I hope he abandoned by now) before he even pulled it off once.

It is a small gain. Many if not most real jobs pay more than this $50 scam or shoplifting and selling the loot on eBay.
Damn, you've got all the answers!

Certainly nice of you to convey all that wisdom to others.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Patty get out of this body :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom