Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Links.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Low to mid $x,xxx,xxx end user now, maybe more of course.

$xxx,xxx not even tempting to say anymore, although can be considered as a "discount zone" perhaps.

AlienGG

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of this one, but then again I haven't been paying much attention to the industry lately. I'll check them out for future reference. Thanks for the link.

Rich

Well, they just bought patents.com for 1.2 million+-.
They sold Computer.com to TigerDirect.
And.......... they own SEX.COM

ANDDDDDD.....! They are my neighbor.....

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I certainly can't see not being a six-figure sale and to me (I'm the noob) looks at least around mid-six figures. Here's some other recent sales on other "sort of broad" one-word generics:

Domain TLD SalePrice SaleDate SaleThru
Software com $3,200,000 Dec 05 Private
Scores com $1,180,000 May 07 Moniker
Bills com $964,500 Dec 05 Private
Earth com $800,000 Dec 05 Private
On com $635,000 Mar 06 Moniker/DomainSystems
Bike com $500,000 Jun 06 Sedo
Blue com $500,000 Mar 06 Sedo
Cafe com $300,000 Oct 06 GreatDomains
Brown com $300,000 Feb 06 Private
Courts com $155,000 Nov 06 Sedo
King com $155,000 Oct 05 Sedo
Camp com $150,000 Oct 06 Private
Partners com $130,000 Dec 06 Moniker/DomainSystems
Blocks com $130,000 Feb 06 Moniker/DomainSystems
Own com $115,000 Oct 06 Moniker/Traffic
Jail com $111,100 May 06 Moniker/DomainRoundTable
Base com $110,012 May 06 Private

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was going to say a wide range from $100K to a Quarter Million. Looks like the comps from Bidno support that. I would love to see a domain like this sold at auction. I think it could be a feeding frenzy from speculators and fetch more than from a private transaction, even to an end user.

Dr Nump

Call me Doc !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sell this domain is the last step. I suggest you hold it for a while and do something to develope it.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I certainly can't see not being a six-figure sale and to me (I'm the noob) looks at least around mid-six figures. Here's some other recent sales on other "sort of broad" one-word generics:

Domain TLD SalePrice SaleDate SaleThru
Software com $3,200,000 Dec 05 Private
Scores com $1,180,000 May 07 Moniker
Bills com $964,500 Dec 05 Private
Earth com $800,000 Dec 05 Private
On com $635,000 Mar 06 Moniker/DomainSystems
Bike com $500,000 Jun 06 Sedo
Blue com $500,000 Mar 06 Sedo
Cafe com $300,000 Oct 06 GreatDomains
Brown com $300,000 Feb 06 Private
Courts com $155,000 Nov 06 Sedo
King com $155,000 Oct 05 Sedo
Camp com $150,000 Oct 06 Private
Partners com $130,000 Dec 06 Moniker/DomainSystems
Blocks com $130,000 Feb 06 Moniker/DomainSystems
Own com $115,000 Oct 06 Moniker/Traffic
Jail com $111,100 May 06 Moniker/DomainRoundTable
Base com $110,012 May 06 Private

Richard I always enjoy your data as it's definitely the most complete & accurate resource out there ;)

Now, reality bites and sometimes hard to realize but there's handful of people that pay > 6 figures for a generic domain, and unfortunately they never overpay..

with that in mind, I'd put the name in the $120K-$200K price range...

DomainCEO

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's amazing... based on that experience... and based on Flowers.mobi selling for $200,000... any thoughts on how BestFlowers.mobi could perform?

I appreciate any feedback!

Gregoire

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's amazing... based on that experience... and based on Flowers.mobi selling for $200,000... any thoughts on how BestFlowers.mobi could perform?

I would create my own appraisal thread if I were you... :)

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

based on my info, I would say zero

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
links.com $200K
bestflowers.mobi $0

any others while I'm here?

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Links.com must be developed. It's the kind of name I'd love to oversee development for, but wisely you're keeping everything under your own control.

I just hope you don't sit on it for too long without realising it's potential for a great site.

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Low to mid $x,xxx,xxx end user now, maybe more of course.

$xxx,xxx not even tempting to say anymore, although can be considered as a "discount zone" perhaps.

As a point of reference, I visited the sister site of this domain, DNJournal, and noticed that Scores.com recently sold for $1.2 million. I was wondering how should I go about using this recent sale as a comp? Is Scores easier to brand? Are there better compound keywords to go along with scores - e.g. Baseball scores, football scores, vs. TV Links, Video Links, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

Well, they just bought patents.com for 1.2 million+-.
They sold Computer.com to TigerDirect.
And.......... they own SEX.COM

ANDDDDDD.....! They are my neighbor.....

Thanks for the info.

Sell this domain is the last step. I suggest you hold it for a while and do something to develope it.

Yes, this is what I am attempting to do. I have been experimenting with different concepts. I believe that it may take some time to come up with the right ideas. Inspiration just happens ... cannot be willed. :)

Appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

Links.com must be developed. It's the kind of name I'd love to oversee development for, but wisely you're keeping everything under your own control.

I just hope you don't sit on it for too long without realising it's potential for a great site.

Hi,

Definitely working at doing something. But even with a good domain name, it is difficult to move into the top tier without a unique idea. Unfortunately, good ideas happen when they want to. I'll just have to have some patience. Thanks for your response.

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could ask your visitors what they are looking for. Either set up a mail form or a quick messageboard and ask them what they thought they'd find at links.com.

You'll most likely get a lot of different answers, but take what most of them say and work on that. Sorta like doing an elaborate version of what the majority is looking for. That's what I'd do. Great name, good luck

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You could ask your visitors what they are looking for. Either set up a mail form or a quick messageboard and ask them what they thought they'd find at links.com.

You'll most likely get a lot of different answers, but take what most of them say and work on that. Sorta like doing an elaborate version of what the majority is looking for. That's what I'd do. Great name, good luck

Hi there,

Thanks for the idea. I actually tried something like that a while ago, using Poll Daddy. No one answered. I think that visitors, in general, don't like revealing what they are looking for. From what I can discern from the keyword stats, most come looking for some type of online entertainment, e.g. TV shows, video clips, games, music, etc. I think the content really has to be upped a few notches, but again the idea eludes me. There is some software called Pligg that would allow me to mimic Digg, but I figure that is provides no useful purpose. Digg owns that genre, being the first mover. Similarly, Fark owns its space. I am sure that I'll get more feedback once I start presenting interesting content. One nice thing, is that since I changed the color scheme a couple of days ago, the number of Pages viewed/Visitor has doubled. Always learning.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.

Rich

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
low to mid xxx,xxx - ask FS, he might buy it, he owns Linkz.com for his search engine, and makes a few million a month... :) PM me for the email address

Hi there,

Thanks for the idea. I actually tried something like that a while ago, using Poll Daddy. No one answered. I think that visitors, in general, don't like revealing what they are looking for. From what I can discern from the keyword stats, most come looking for some type of online entertainment, e.g. TV shows, video clips, games, music, etc. I think the content really has to be upped a few notches, but again the idea eludes me. There is some software called Pligg that would allow me to mimic Digg, but I figure that is provides no useful purpose. Digg owns that genre, being the first mover. Similarly, Fark owns its space. I am sure that I'll get more feedback once I start presenting interesting content. One nice thing, is that since I changed the color scheme a couple of days ago, the number of Pages viewed/Visitor has doubled. Always learning.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.

Rich

What you could do is park on a search page that allows you to see what people click/search for too.

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
low to mid xxx,xxx - ask FS, he might buy it, he owns Linkz.com for his search engine, and makes a few million a month... :) PM me for the email address

What you could do is park on a search page that allows you to see what people click/search for too.

Yes, this is a very good idea. I did try it out for a while at NameDrive, however, there was much less information available to me than there is by hosting the domain on my own site, where I have complete control over the site's content and presentation. It is sort of like a laboratory experiment at this time. Much appreciate the idea and your taking the time to try to help out.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom