• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed LOLNEWYORKdotcom

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J0sh

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
realistic end user value ?
 
There is an extreme lack of foresight if one suggests that there won't be some form of capitalization of the most commonly used internet initialisms.

particularly of interest to Comedy clubs, and other "show" entities.
 
Last edited:
There is an extreme lack of foresight if one suggests that there won't be some form of capitalization of the most commonly used internet initialisms.

particularly of interest to Comedy clubs, and other "show" entities.

Unless you develop and spend $$$ branding the domain, it is worth nothing. You asked about the domain's value and as it is right now, it's worthless reseller-wise IMO. An end-user appraisal is impossible to give, as an end-user can pay $100,000 for HiImInNew-YorkNow.biz if they really want the domain.
 
actually, if someone paid 100 k for "hiImInNew-YorkNow.biz" , than you could argue the following points:

There are other alternatives, mainly shorter ones
If the .com is available, it be silly to dish out for .biz
And there is little implicit meaning to such a domain

These 3 points can't be said for domain in question, with the exception of abbreviating NewYork to NYC, or just NY.
 
Might be making fun of all of New York's mishaps? LOL @ hmm yeah..no

What made you think to register that?
 
reg fee if you don't have the vision for it...yes i know. thanks
 
I would develop it if you want any value to it.
 
I would take the opportunity to buy all major cities with LOL as well.

You can definitely capitalize on this market ...and your dream.
 
Josh, you ask about an end-user figure, that as stated above is particularly hard to give as each and any end user would value any given domain differently.

However, maybe becausee I prefer to smile than frown, I can actually see a few end-user possibilities, the easiest of all would be a joke site about New York and New Yorkers. I am not saying such a site would achieve the Alexa top 1,000 but it could do fairly well.

One lesson I have learned is go with your gut feeling on such a name and develop it, if does nothing then you have lost relatively little, is it succeeds on the other hand you have a nice bank balance and the pride in knowing that you 'understood' the market where others did not.

Good luck with it. And remember there is nothing wrong in being a maverick! :)
 
Don't argue or try to invalidate other people's appraisals. You asked for appraisals, you get them. This forum is not mean to stubbornly ask other people to write down what YOU WANT TO BELIEVE, this forum is to know how the domain's value is perceived by peer domainers, even if you don't like what others think.

And... about the domain...
MINUS reg fee, cuz it's a loss already.

And yes, when my own domains suck big time, I really appreciate getting sincere opinions from these guys, cuz that's one of the best ways to keep improving.
 
Last edited:
Varlin,

First off, I'm not a domainer that buys and sells ...

I'm a developer, or actually, a wannabe developer (hopefully in a year time I'll have moved up the ladder).

Do I think I'll become successful? Yes. Why? Because I have vision, and hopefully my successes in the past will carry over into this field of work too. That said, I'm interested in branding, branding and branding.

Now, how does one go about slapping a "reg. fee" without any explanation whatsover? ...

" minus reg fee, cuz it's a loss already", as you say...

such responses fail to include an explanation as to why an end-user would not be interested to pay a premium, if that is what is felt....

my question once again, was end-user ( you see, that's an individual with vision, kinda like myself, who is willing to take a risk because of a given intuition or what not.) If an end-user shares my vision for such a domain, it is possible to state a value (by giving examples from prior sales). and if you don't think there's value based on your vision, than at the very least help me understand why...

Reg fee, zilchs, naddas draws me to think that many people in this industry are more followers than leaders... or just don't like to put on their creative hats for a moment, because they're too caught up in the auction of life.
 
OK... Then 12 million dollars for a rich end-user incredibly interested in your fantastic ideas.

Zero for the rest of us.

And again, this forum is to know how the domain's value is perceived by peer domainers, even if you don't like what others think.

I develop too, and when I keep a domain no one cares about NOT fully developed and NOT receiving decent traffic and decent revenue after 1 year, registrars slap me with a renewal fee that screams: IT WAS A LOSS SINCE INCEPTION.
 
Last edited:
$0 as there's no way for any of us to know what your fantastic vision is all about. We're not here to guess what you have planned for obscure domain names so you get what you get. You should be a little less argumentative too.
 
Varlin,

First off, I'm not a domainer that buys and sells ...

I'm a developer, or actually, a wannabe developer (hopefully in a year time I'll have moved up the ladder).

Do I think I'll become successful? Yes. Why? Because I have vision, and hopefully my successes in the past will carry over into this field of work too. That said, I'm interested in branding, branding and branding.

Now, how does one go about slapping a "reg. fee" without any explanation whatsover? ...

" minus reg fee, cuz it's a loss already", as you say...

such responses fail to include an explanation as to why an end-user would not be interested to pay a premium, if that is what is felt....

my question once again, was end-user ( you see, that's an individual with vision, kinda like myself, who is willing to take a risk because of a given intuition or what not.) If an end-user shares my vision for such a domain, it is possible to state a value (by giving examples from prior sales). and if you don't think there's value based on your vision, than at the very least help me understand why...

Reg fee, zilchs, naddas draws me to think that many people in this industry are more followers than leaders... or just don't like to put on their creative hats for a moment, because they're too caught up in the auction of life.

You have to realize where you are posting this - Domain Name Appraisals, not what a domain can be come after development. We are putting a value on the domain itself, not what you have plan for it. So when people are putting reg fee or 0, the name (without the ideas you have) is worth that. Now, if you put some work into it, give it some traffic and some life, then the name will be worth something, but for now, its reg fee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom