Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

lots of members...but is it becoming a kids playground here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
maybe i am wrong but its what i see...
a newbie here pm'd me asking why do i sell my h99.com more than 30 $ ?....
i don t mind for anyone's thoughts about the value of a domain..
my problem is that when i say a price thats what i want !
and arguments about why i want more than 30 $ makes me......
HEY KIDS ! IF YOU WANT 30$ FOR A DINNER WITH BURGERS WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND I 'LL MAKE A DONATION FOR YOU...
i think its time to make a more private section in this forum for members that are invited only and not to anyone who pays a fee....
------------------------------
why did i write this? because 80 % of the pm's i recieve is like this...
and look at the threads.."i want a premium dot com with prooven traffic and revenew for 2,000 $ "
"i want a 2 word domain, my budget is 40 $"
"i want a free----.com ,like freeringtones.com for 150$"
-EXAMPLE:
http://www.dnforum.com/f16/pre-2001-generic-one-word-domains-com-net-org-thread-145689.html

------------

Domain Summit 2024

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol well it always happens no matter what industry, once it starts to grow and more people see others making money from it lots of "newbs" start joining.. it happened many years ago with adult related stuff.. its happening with domains now.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. I am sick of threads where people say they are looking for a certain type of premium name, and then in the thread they state their budget of $xx.

Or even the ones that say $100,000 budget, and then a bunch of n00bs post absolutely horrible domains.

Matvey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can complain about just about everything at this forum if you look around. This sort of thing really shouldnt bother you just dont respond to people that say the thing like 40$ for a 2 letter.com , especially if they put the $ sign after the number =P

As far as threads go I would say they need more moderation or need to be aproved to be posted. Especially in the Appraisals forums. If you domain is even worth posting a mod should be able to deside that and go through with it being posted, reason being..... I curently just put 1-gig.com up for appraisal and it will probably get bumped down by undeveloped no traffic names like myfunarcadezone.net or fastanimalsforum.co.uk or things like that, In which these threads only get posted on so people can say no value... regular fee...

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
007 said:
I completely agree. I am sick of threads where people say they are looking for a certain type of premium name, and then in the thread they state their budget of $xx.

Or even the ones that say $100,000 budget, and then a bunch of n00bs post absolutely horrible domains.

Agreed...I think the "free upgrades/membership promotions" are coming back to hurt the forum, both in the number of scammers currently at work and the number of uneducated newbies posting.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the appraisal section in particular has changed a lot in the few months i've been here. Maybe a polite recommendation that a domain should be registered for at least 30-60 days before offered up for appraisal? If you just found it today, there's probably a reason it was still available.

But I must say that the gold and platinum sections are more fun/interesting than the exclusive section.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd just ignore them......

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the free upgrades to exclusive defeated the exclusiveness of exclusive.

If I remember correctly, one exclusive membership could be given away by each exclusive member.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think what you're seeing is more of a major shift in the industry and it's been happening for quite some time. Those that really do have $xxx,xxx budgets are throwing all of their money away in the auctions. The newbies join in thinking if the big guys are doing it then they should aswell. In turn less money to be spent in the reseller marketplace which means less and less money going around.

It's all about the drop game now. All of that money being spent on the drop game is being extracted from the marketplace rather than reinvested in it. The big guns don't have any money to buy in the secondary and the little guys don't either because they are trying to compete with them. For a reseller to survive he must sell really low to get attention. Usually too low and this starts a devaluing trend of names in the reseller market.

As far a the wanted threads they have always been a joke. I've made a number of comments as have others over the years. Even some long termers start threads bragging about the size of their budget but you come to find out their true size when presenting them with names and you'll notice their trader rating never seems to go up.

Appraisal section should be left as it is. We all started somewhere and at some time in this business. I'd be willing to bet every one of us started out registering a bunch of names we came up with out of thin air or that other people thought we were crazy for spending our reg fess on. Eventually they will get tired of the public abuse and figure out that no matter how long you've been in this business you can't honestly determine they value of a name.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tassos said:
maybe i am wrong but its what i see...
a newbie here pm'd me asking why do i sell my h99.com more than 30 $ ?....
i don t mind for anyone's thoughts about the value of a domain..
my problem is that when i say a price thats what i want !
and arguments about why i want more than 30 $ makes me......
HEY KIDS ! IF YOU WANT 30$ FOR A DINNER WITH BURGERS WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND I 'LL MAKE A DONATION FOR YOU...
i think its time to make a more private section in this forum for members that are invited only and not to anyone who pays a fee....
------------------------------
why did i write this? because 80 % of the pm's i recieve is like this...
and look at the threads.."i want a premium dot com with prooven traffic and revenew for 2,000 $ "
"i want a 2 word domain, my budget is 40 $"
"i want a free----.com ,like freeringtones.com for 150$"
-EXAMPLE:
http://www.dnforum.com/f16/pre-2001-generic-one-word-domains-com-net-org-thread-145689.html

------------

lol what kills me is when someone posts in "domains wanted" for a brandable name and their budget is only $20. this really cracks me up :laugh:

Romain

DNF Veteran
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I truly agree, especially in the domains wanted section:
I asked recently for a pronounceable 4 letters .com domains (I spent 30mn writting the thread with the "do's" and "don't")
But I still received 80% of junk, and even domains with more than 5 letters or in other extensions. The most funny was a guy proposing a list of crappy available names that he was willing to register for me for $40 each!!!
Seriously, was this a BIG JOKE ???

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There should be some sort of standard before the section get's out of control. I say if your going to be exclusive you have to have at least 300-500 post? Just my thought..

rileez

I Blame /.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
POLiSH said:
There should be some sort of standard before the section get's out of control. I say if your going to be exclusive you have to have at least 300-500 post? Just my thought..
A good thought, But what about those that do most business via PM?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
POLiSH said:

More posts don't make you more knowledgeable, helpful or insightful. At this one community I used to go to, they made members fill out applications + go through a peer member voting process before allowing the member into the restricted area. It was nice. Actually, it didn't solve a thing.

I think NameMogul hit the nail on the head; things are changing. This market is becoming more mainstream. Does this remind anyone of what happened with web design?

Romain

DNF Veteran
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This won't change anything, as a lot of "kids" get 500 posts in less than a month!

J2theIZZO

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've tried to steer clear of selling to resellers for the past 6+ months unless it's a traffic based domain....it's just not worth the hassle anymore, and this isn't the only domain forum where I see these type of posts, it's all around the industry now on every forum you visit.

Times are changing and there is little we can do about it, a reputation based system would be nice but it would need to be implemented in a correct/fair manner, certainly not based on post count or bought membership, with methods for expunging the unwanteds.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that you are right when you say that there are less and less money in the reseller market.

Auctions are the big thing and often the big guys don't want to spend 1-2 hours checking useless PMs.

I see the forum as a place where you can exchange ideas more than selling names.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hate when people misuse the term 'nice' they put 'nice list of domains' in the title and put crappy names in the content and some of them also write wow and later just to realize that they are one of the crappiest domain you have seen so far.

Romain

DNF Veteran
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
simon said:
I hate when people misuse the term 'nice' they put 'nice list of domains' in the title and put crappy names in the content and some of them also write wow and later just to realize that they are one of the crappiest domain you have seen so far.

When there are these type of posts I usually don't read them cause I already know the content

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom