Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

lots of members...but is it becoming a kids playground here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clown

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with what most of you are saying - but you have to think about it differently.
With a large amount of newcomers in the industry there are bound to be some with Deep pockets, or there mommys and daddys have deep pockets.
maybe instead of bashing the newcomers you should try welcoming them, helping them , then selling to them :)

I know this, I have sold quite a few domains/sites to newbies in the last few months and there money is as good as anyone elses.
I know they can get on your nerves with the stupid questions/comments, but just like in life.........Ignore it.

JMHO

Jay

Register for the auction

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clown said:
I agree with what most of you are saying - but you have to think about it differently.
With a large amount of newcomers in the industry there are bound to be some with Deep pockets, or there mommys and daddys have deep pockets.
maybe instead of bashing the newcomers you should try welcoming them, helping them , then selling to them :)

I know this, I have sold quite a few domains/sites to newbies in the last few months and there money is as good as anyone elses.
I know they can get on your nerves with the stupid questions/comments, but just like in life.........Ignore it.

JMHO

Jay

Newbies usually get much better deals from me. :nod:

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regarding appraisals, maybe DNF could add an appraisal section to the Platinum level to prevent all the Gold members who spam thebestanimalname4ever.info and bump down better name threads.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The WoW posts are kind of like the boy who cried wolf. They might fool someone once, but they will likely never look at your sales posts again.

linkman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Should scrap the idea of free exclusive memberships. Make them pay unless they have proven themselves.

On the other hand if a moderator sees someone that is platinum or gold that is a good contributor they should discuss upgrading that member for free.

Another way that could be done is to have the moderators post 5 or so gold or platinum members in the exclusive section as poll every month and the existing members could vote for who they beleive is worthy of a free upgrade. These would obviously be members that stand out in the community.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An online exam paper seems like a good idea. It might even force some of us to read the forum rules!

I would enjoy trying to pass a test on this subject. It´s an interesting topic to study.

Having passed the exam, a badge could be stamped next to the members username so that you know that you are dealing with somebody who at least knows the basics!

Creature.

clown

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the badge Idea. Then people would know how to approach a buyer/seller.

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BAN HIM !

title of post : == Real Premium == No Junk == Not Cheap == SingleOnly.com ....

domains in post..:4supra.com -gd- $50
activedegree.com -en2- $50
activehomepage.com -en2- $50
activerepublican.com -en2- $50
actortalk.com -gd- $100
antivirusmall.com -gd- $50
autocrawl.com -rf- $75
automobiledefects.com -gd- $100
autosland.com -en2- $500
bulldomain.com -gd- $100
caninesearch.com -en1- $50
delisteddomain.com -gd- $50
domainroster.com -gd- $45
downloadsurf.com -gd- $100
dreamgirlsearch.com -ub- $100
efreeclipart.com -gd- $50
gowaltdisney.com -gd- $100
hotscriptszone.com -gd- $500
hotscriptzone.com -gd- $500
ipodvideochat.com -namerus- $300
ipodvideotalk.com -namerus- $300
ipodvideozone.com -namerus- $300
phplisting.com -gd- $500
phpmart.com -gd- $2,800
popularvacation.com -gd- $100
psxgaming.com -gd- $250
psxhardware.com -gd- $250
psxportal.com -gd- $250
psxreviews.com -gd- $250
seekfreelance.com -gd- $400
seekfriends.com -gd- $8,000
seeklover.com -gd- $7,500
simplylotto.com -en1- $100 - with site -
singleonly.com -gd- $,5,700
singlevillage.com -gd- $250
siteadult.com -gd- $300
sitedesignforum.com -gd- $12,000
sitedesigntalk.com -gd- $12,000

My english are so bad? whats the definition of "premiums"?

http://www.dnforum.com/f5/real-prem...-singleonly-com-thread-149808.html#post826610

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you put "Looking for Offers" and don't say Looking for Offers $x,xxx and up, you are only asking for these types of PM's.

You will have two types of PM's.

1.) Those who are un-educated and just posting because they don't know what a name is worth.

and

2.) Those who will purposely PM a lowball offer hoping the seller will accept.

You don't have to put how much you are looking for, but don't ask for blind offers. I have seen many sellers put something like I stated above. Tell then you want high $xxx or higher, etc.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would it be a bad idea to have some additional forums where you can pay to play? I.E. $300 DNF to open a thread in that particular sales, appraisal, whatever forum? That way people are serious and not just fishing?

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My most recent dipstick sent me a pm saying that I could not ask " xxxxx" for name and proceeded to offer a stupidly low figure.

I did reply - saying "Oh yes I can!" and "no thank you"

It's a free world, well most of it! There are idiots / newbies etc in every business- if you don't want to deal with or respond to them - don't.

It's your choice.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the problem is that these people truly believe that their names are "great premium" domains. i know we all did at one point or another. i know when i first got in this game back in 01 I had a lot of "quality .coms" which turned out to be total crap.

this is a complex problem to solve.

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
If you put "Looking for Offers" and don't say Looking for Offers $x,xxx and up, you are only asking for these types of PM's.

You will have two types of PM's.

1.) Those who are un-educated and just posting because they don't know what a name is worth.

and

2.) Those who will purposely PM a lowball offer hoping the seller will accept.

You don't have to put how much you are looking for, but don't ask for blind offers. I have seen many sellers put something like I stated above. Tell then you want high $xxx or higher, etc.

Agreed....as a matter of fact I got outbid for a traffic dn, that was sold for 10k. All this after the seller said "he didn't have a BIN" in mind. Had he initially stated 10k I would have cut to the chase and posted sold.
BTW my offers were just under the sold BIN in his ballpark figure area he'd mentioned in his PMs.....frustrating.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of the "newbs" and all of the scams is the reason I stopped using the forums for many months now. I found it frustrating to offer domains for sale with specific offer instructions, only to have people disregard my instructions or offer amounts like $50 for a 3-letter.com.

Here is my two cents: Too many members with way too many forums.

I found the forums much more useful and helpful back in late 2002 through 2003.

linkman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- Newbs buy up realestate that most of us don't want which in turn increases the value of our premium realestate.

- Newbs try to sell their crap domains over and over and over again for rediculous asking prices. Now when we turn around and put our premium names on the market places they generate huge amounts of interest and often command end user prices, as seen by the browsing DNjournal.

- *Some* Newbs eventually get the hang of it and will buy our premium names, they will buy our drop services, they will buy our software etc.

Yes it can be frustrating, but, what business isn't?

If you already have a decent portfolio and make a full-time income from your domains, you are in a great position as I only see the market going up and these newbs are inadvertantly helping it.

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TopNames.com said:
All of the "newbs" and all of the scams is the reason I stopped using the forums for many months now. I found it frustrating to offer domains for sale with specific offer instructions, only to have people disregard my instructions or offer amounts like $50 for a 3-letter.com.

Here is my two cents: Too many members with way too many forums.

I found the forums much more useful and helpful back in late 2002 through 2003.

Hi Ken

Long time no see. I hope things are going well with you.

With the increasing maturity of the domain industry and forums, what do you now recommend my friend?

Andrew

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ClassicNames.com said:
Hi Ken

Long time no see. I hope things are going well with you.

With the increasing maturity of the domain industry and forums, what do you now recommend my friend?

Andrew

Hi Andrew :)

I sell very few domains and if I do sell it's usually not outside my normal buyers circle. I still read this and the other two forums that were around in 2003, many times finding useful and/or valuable info...but doing business on them is maddening!

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I managed a franchise operation a few years back and we ran into a similar problem to what might be developing here. The senior members of the community were contributing the most and getting the least value from us. The newest members were contributing the least and getting the most value. We had to brainstorm ways to keep adding value to the senior members. We included the senior members in the discussion to assure we were going the right direction.
Hopefully the decision makers at DNForum will do the same.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
I managed a franchise operation a few years back and we ran into a similar problem to what might be developing here. The senior members of the community were contributing the most and getting the least value from us. The newest members were contributing the least and getting the most value. We had to brainstorm ways to keep adding value to the senior members. We included the senior members in the discussion to assure we were going the right direction. Hopefully the decision makers at DNForum will do the same.

Very well said and my concern too. In fact, in the past I went on a few 'vacations' :plane: due to this issue.

Also, interesting how some relatively new members with not a lot of posts got votes for member of the year but others who were members since day-1 with many thousands of posts got no votes :confused: Also odd that some of the vote getters had frequent new threads and followup posts mostly attributable due to their own ongoing barrage of sale threads, with little long term real contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom