Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

lots of members...but is it becoming a kids playground here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/f16/wanted-4...domain-thread-151131.html?posted=1#post828730

rockisland said:
Wanted 4 - 6 letter .com, .biz, or .net domain Pr3 or better! Must be pronounceable, and would prefer if it could be used for a music business.

FLDataTek said:
XBCP.COM $150 XBox Control Panel ? Make sense.
HCFX.COM $150 Hardcore FX is what I call it

............... IQ score 007 ...
:drum:

http://www.dnforum.com/f16/another-4-letter-com-brandables-thread-151121.html

nitro4 said:
Please PM or reply with selling price.

just like the other post, please DO NOT give me ugly 4 letters , ex : fhmk , klji , etc

and once again, it should be easy to be memorized , or spelled

domains i'd be interested (examples):

fuzo.com
nobu.com
bobe.com
noby.com
moxy.com
FLDataTek said:
XBCP.COM $150 XBox Control Panel ? Make sense.
HCFX.COM $150 Hardcore FX is what I call it

thats a miracle ! those domains meet ALL the criteria...! oops same guy again !

Domain Summit 2024

DNPlan

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
lol what kills me is when someone posts in "domains wanted"

I made such a post ... I specified that I wanted "3 pieces of information" included in the responses PM'd to me ... I bought every single domain that was offered to me that included all three pieces of information I requested.

How many domains did I buy? ... Just 3 ...

How many domains did I not buy? ... dozens because people couldn't be bothered to reply with the three simple pieces of information I requested ...

What were they?
  1. Domain Name
  2. Price
  3. English translation of the domain name

Greg

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- Romain - said:
I truly agree, especially in the domains wanted section:
I asked recently for a pronounceable 4 letters .com domains (I spent 30mn writting the thread with the "do's" and "don't")
But I still received 80% of junk, and even domains with more than 5 letters or in other extensions
. The most funny was a guy proposing a list of crappy available names that he was willing to register for me for $40 each!!!
Seriously, was this a BIG JOKE ???
haha that is hilarious, because I've experienced the exact same thing;

Some time ago I wanted to spend a good 2grand on a nice name (note: a single nice gem) so I made a thread in the wanted section, stating that I was interested in a few "good" suggestions and that I specifically didn't want whole lists of names...

Now, first: I only get PM's from newbie gold members, which is totally fine - as long as they're responding to what my post clearly said. Obviously they didn't. I got, maybe, 20 PM's with both links to lists and just plain lists in the message. Furthermore, the ones that didn't send me a list, suggested single names along the lines of Kaudofoobue.net, Busbukooly.net and what have we... Needless to say, I ended up with nothing more than regret over ever creating the thread...

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A wild idea to address the problem of inappropriate (cluttering) responses to domain wanted posts might be for DNF to create a "Domain Offering Reputation" index of some kind... to which other people could add or subtract based on how well people pay attention to listed domain wanted requirements. You could just have it out there for people to see or you could say that if it falls below a certain level, that some type of restriction on responses happens for a while. Just an idea.

Matvey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tassos said:
why did i write this? because 80 % of the pm's i recieve is like this...
and look at the threads.."i want a premium dot com with prooven traffic and revenew for 2,000 $ "
"i want a 2 word domain, my budget is 40 $"
"i want a free----.com ,like freeringtones.com for 150$"
-EXAMPLE:
http://www.dnforum.com/f16/pre-2001-generic-one-word-domains-com-net-org-thread-145689.html

------------

It doesnt really matter completely on the age because I can tell this isnt a young person that sent this to me it just a person from our "domaining ignorant playground" this is a PM i received from a gold member.

Hi,

autopartgenie.com 63000 $US
carquotegenie.com 29000 $US
carsearchgenie.com 63000 $US
travelunitedstates.info 56000 $US
truckgenie.com 52000 $US
usedcargenie.com 36000 $US

Have a great day,

Gary

And another thing everyone please start putting you $ sign infront of the number and it would be great to add .00 as well just to make it look neater, but that may be asking two much.
100$ is not how you write $100.00 and thats just a petpeeve I needed to shout out.
Sorry back on topic*

Romain

DNF Veteran
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a lot of countries, the currency sign is after the amount and that's logic because we say "one hundred dollars" not "dollar one hundred" - that's funny that I say that because, in my head, when I read a price in $ I say "dollar one hundred" :lol:
This to say that I understand that some people make the mistake (I maybe made it also)

But for going to write $100.00, isn't that a bit to much? ;-)
I assume that in our business we don't sell names for cents!

Just my $00.02 ;-)

BrianBenko

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
I think what you're seeing is more of a major shift in the industry and it's been happening for quite some time. Those that really do have $xxx,xxx budgets are throwing all of their money away in the auctions. The newbies join in thinking if the big guys are doing it then they should aswell. In turn less money to be spent in the reseller marketplace which means less and less money going around.

It's all about the drop game now. All of that money being spent on the drop game is being extracted from the marketplace rather than reinvested in it. The big guns don't have any money to buy in the secondary and the little guys don't either because they are trying to compete with them. For a reseller to survive he must sell really low to get attention. Usually too low and this starts a devaluing trend of names in the reseller market.

As far a the wanted threads they have always been a joke. I've made a number of comments as have others over the years. Even some long termers start threads bragging about the size of their budget but you come to find out their true size when presenting them with names and you'll notice their trader rating never seems to go up.

Appraisal section should be left as it is. We all started somewhere and at some time in this business. I'd be willing to bet every one of us started out registering a bunch of names we came up with out of thin air or that other people thought we were crazy for spending our reg fess on. Eventually they will get tired of the public abuse and figure out that no matter how long you've been in this business you can't honestly determine they value of a name.

Well put NameMogul.... We all started somewhere... I think all of the boards are suffering from main stream issues.. lots and lots of new members and lot and lots of unwelcomed PM's and posts.....

at the same time it just means more money is in the game and your old stuff is worth that much more...

VioxxLawyers

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, it took me one year and half to finally purchase exclusive membership, mostly for custom features, not to access the exclusive part of the forum or special domain tools. I only spend time studying the marketplace, a passive reader, and yes i know plenty of 13-16 year old kids are breaking into webmaster forums with budgets in the $XX range, they are annoying, often arrogant, they talk to me like s...t , well its all sad but at least forums are getting more active, it shows the places have become successful enough to attract this kind of people. I dont think they should stay on myspace, they can go here , learn, register 100 names that they will never sell and leave webmaster forums with empty pockets lol Exclusive memberships should be more exclusive, i agree with you guys, distributing it on the cheap is altering its value and symbol.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Romain said:
But for going to write $100.00, isn't that a bit to much? ;-)
I assume that in our business we don't sell names for cents!

I entirely agree with you.

Putting .00 at the end of prices is unnecessary distraction.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree the domains wanted forums is useless.

post there are you will be spammed with crap domains and high prices.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The wanted forums are very frustrating, but not useless. There are many members who follow requests (mainly the 'reputable' members we're used to seeing around) .. but the vast majority of domains sent are crap. Maybe we could use the "report bad post" button for those who ignore what our requirements are - then they get warning points. d:)

Marval

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Noting the number of posts I have I'd probably fall into a mold real quick...that said, Ihave been reading and trying to learn for a few years here, and was an upgraded Gold for a while - but then forked out the money to go to exclusive (didnt know there was a free option).
Over the last 6 years, I've built up some 900 names which range from what I would consider "nice" all the way down to "damn Glenlivet again".
I also work on both the Adult and MS sides of things with my websites which tend to be among the leaders in their fields - and have to say that this influx you are seeing is not limited to DN's. Its been a trend over a range of businesses online for quite some time with people (and I'm not degrading their approach really) trying for the cheapest way to get a slice of the pie - without much studying/learning/investigation into what it really takes and the history of what the biz has been through.

While reading this thread, I keep remembering a thread that sounded almost exactly the same as one on a large SEO boards private posting area about two years ago, with exactly the same responses - and leading to exactly the same conclusions - that the tradeskills and practices that make some good at one part of the biz will allow very few of the newer posters youre seeing here succeed, however I would much prefer to spend a little time every day helping the ones that seem to really want to learn as I've found in the other "niches" it has paid back handsomely in the long run.

Sorry for the rambling from a very infrequent poster

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Marval said:
Noting the number of posts I have I'd probably fall into a mold real quick...that said, Ihave been reading and trying to learn for a few years here, and was an upgraded Gold for a while - but then forked out the money to go to exclusive (didnt know there was a free option).
Over the last 6 years, I've built up some 900 names which range from what I would consider "nice" all the way down to "damn Glenlivet again".
I also work on both the Adult and MS sides of things with my websites which tend to be among the leaders in their fields - and have to say that this influx you are seeing is not limited to DN's. Its been a trend over a range of businesses online for quite some time with people (and I'm not degrading their approach really) trying for the cheapest way to get a slice of the pie - without much studying/learning/investigation into what it really takes and the history of what the biz has been through.

While reading this thread, I keep remembering a thread that sounded almost exactly the same as one on a large SEO boards private posting area about two years ago, with exactly the same responses - and leading to exactly the same conclusions - that the tradeskills and practices that make some good at one part of the biz will allow very few of the newer posters youre seeing here succeed, however I would much prefer to spend a little time every day helping the ones that seem to really want to learn as I've found in the other "niches" it has paid back handsomely in the long run.

Sorry for the rambling from a very infrequent poster

Well said.

I too have had issues with some users which is why I created the exclusive/elusive club a while back. I have not seen any that are really annoying upgrade and that's how I prefer it.

Not everyone can be smart and that's good or the competition would be unbearable so evertime you see an idiot consider them 1 less competitor you have to worry about.

This industry will get flooded even more with wha mos of us call "wannabees", just like those students in university, only some will grow up to be "be's", the rest will come in and out of this industry for the rest of time.

I have seen many come and go over the past 4 years, that's for sure. Sit back and enjoy the ride and let's build your business.

-=DCG=-

Marval

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Sit back and enjoy the ride and let's build your business.

-=DCG=-

I fully intend to do just that :) With a little help from friends and newer acquaintances it's already good - had my first $xxxx.xx sale for a domain a few weeks back and I'm hooked LOL

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's been some great input from members here about this issue that I fully agree on. We can learn how to drive on the advantage and build our business, like Adam stated.

Their 'naiveness' is our advantage (not saying all are that way-there are some great new members in the industry). I don't know about you, but when I buy a domain name for $10 and a few weeks later get an offer for $300, it doesn't bother me any!

(see: silver line in the clouds, the brighter side of things, make a 'bad situation good) ;)

HumanIngenuity

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clown said:
I agree with what most of you are saying - but you have to think about it differently.
With a large amount of newcomers in the industry there are bound to be some with Deep pockets, or there mommys and daddys have deep pockets.
maybe instead of bashing the newcomers you should try welcoming them, helping them , then selling to them :)

I know this, I have sold quite a few domains/sites to newbies in the last few months and there money is as good as anyone elses.
I know they can get on your nerves with the stupid questions/comments, but just like in life.........Ignore it.

JMHO

Jay

I am a newbie, but have spent over 150k in the last 6 months :)

linkman said:
Should scrap the idea of free exclusive memberships. Make them pay unless they have proven themselves.

On the other hand if a moderator sees someone that is platinum or gold that is a good contributor they should discuss upgrading that member for free.

Another way that could be done is to have the moderators post 5 or so gold or platinum members in the exclusive section as poll every month and the existing members could vote for who they beleive is worthy of a free upgrade. These would obviously be members that stand out in the community.

I agree that there should not be any free upgrades to exclusive. If the domainer is too cheap to upgrade, i doubt they are of any value to existing exclusive members anyways.

linkman said:
- Newbs buy up realestate that most of us don't want which in turn increases the value of our premium realestate.

- Newbs try to sell their crap domains over and over and over again for rediculous asking prices. Now when we turn around and put our premium names on the market places they generate huge amounts of interest and often command end user prices, as seen by the browsing DNjournal.

- *Some* Newbs eventually get the hang of it and will buy our premium names, they will buy our drop services, they will buy our software etc.

Yes it can be frustrating, but, what business isn't?

If you already have a decent portfolio and make a full-time income from your domains, you are in a great position as I only see the market going up and these newbs are inadvertantly helping it.

Yeah without newbies, who will buy all the sub premium domains? these guys will drive the market up. Back in the tech boom, without all the grandma's students and anyone in between trying to buy stocks, there would have been no boom. Realestate too, without people going nuts and putting deposits on 2nd and 3rd homes, there would have not been the realestate boom we have seen recently. Everything will correct itself, eventually when all the newbies drive up the market too much and the crappy names have no more demand because of the price, they will drop in price back to realistic levels, everyone in between who paid too much will get wiped out just like stocks.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just have to make sure to sell some of the worthless domains to newbies while they still have cash to spend :p

But seriously, i cant see domain name value decreasing anytime soon or in the forseeable future, with more and more people coming online everyday traffic just continues to increase on all our typein names.

HumanIngenuity said:
I am a newbie, but have spent over 150k in the last 6 months :)

I agree that there should not be any free upgrades to exclusive. If the domainer is too cheap to upgrade, i doubt they are of any value to existing exclusive members anyways.

Yeah without newbies, who will buy all the sub premium domains? these guys will drive the market up. Back in the tech boom, without all the grandma's students and anyone in between trying to buy stocks, there would have been no boom. Realestate too, without people going nuts and putting deposits on 2nd and 3rd homes, there would have not been the realestate boom we have seen recently. Everything will correct itself, eventually when all the newbies drive up the market too much and the crappy names have no more demand because of the price, they will drop in price back to realistic levels, everyone in between who paid too much will get wiped out just like stocks.

HumanIngenuity

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
does someone have any "premium .com names with revenue and traffic proof" for cheap????? LOL

PS if you didnt take that as a joke, PM me ASAP!! will buy!

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Raise the price for exclusives, and keep a section just for Exclusives with sales, auctions, info, selection. I've been here less and less lately as The fluff comes in. And don't mark down the price for exclusive membership, It only hurts the forum. If you raise the price for exclusive I feel the 14 year olds might stop coming in the droves under their dads name. When you start talking to some of these guys, you realize how young some of them are. And with the amounts of money some of us toss around, dealing with children will only make things worse in a dispute.

typeins said:
But seriously, i cant see domain name value decreasing anytime soon or in the forseeable future, with more and more people coming online everyday traffic just continues to increase on all our typein names.

If you can't see, then look harder. Cause your missing it. So many tld are accepted other than .com along with idn, foreign language, cctld and so on. There are hundreds to choose from and with marketing many people know they can do well with a number domain, and acronym or a 3 and 4 word combination. And on top of it, many of the bigger companys are taking their names these days. Lawyers know the scoop lately and the routine. Everyday the regular surfer is seeing .cc .ws .sc .la .ca .us and well over 300 more. They arent limiting themselves to .com. So put yourself into the shoes of the end-user. 100k for a domain, for the most part thats for prestige, and some typin, 100k can get alot of traffic to asdfg.com for a very long time if done right. As well for 100k you can make quite an impact without a dictionary word. Much of the domains you see selling all over the place are for stimulating sales, a big sale gets alot of hype and people in the market see that. All the newbs get exited and start buying up tons of crap. A great marketing scheme, but all good things end. All fads rise, peek, then drop.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All the newbs get exited and start buying up tons of crap. A great marketing scheme, but all good things end. All fads rise, peek, then drop.

Domaining is the new Poker. It will peak and then fall off, 90% will never make a dime of profit. However, it will likely reach a critical mass and even after the falloff it will be much larger than it was a couple years ago. I always tend to underestimate how long movements like Poker or Domaining can last and how big they can get. It's tempting to think we are at the peak now but we may still be 2-4 years from the peak for this industry. It seems common to us but if you talked to 100 random people today, I will bet that 98 of them don't know how to register a domain name. I think that in a year there could be twice as many people playing at domaining as there are today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom