Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Major Business 2.0 Magazine Domain Article Now Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
My understanding is that Highland Capital bought only a majority interest, not the whole thing. Michael Mann still owns a big piece, but no longer has to be involved with the day to day operations which has freed him up to work with Grassroots.org, a charity doing some great things (I will be completing an article on them in the next few days).

Ah I thought there was something wrong with those figures.

Domain Summit 2024

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
If he put the dough in an account and got 8% interest never touching the principle he would make roughly $320,000. Or better yet reinvest and turn that 4 million into?

Which account do you suggest with an 8% interest rate?

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
greggish said:
I have 3 domains that I've been offered between 2-5K for. I was tempted, but now those are the names I am least likely to sell. Two of those three get regular typein traffic and I don't see that traffic ever going away. That money although its decent is not going to change my life, but having the opportunity somewhere down the line to really take advantage of those built in daily viewers can. I've started to look at it a little differently recently.
I might suggest too greggish that those couple names you have might start producing even more revenue as the industry continues to mature. Personally, I'm a late bloomer and a slow learner ... but am starting to get better results figuring things out as I go along.

The forums have been a big help plus tons of my own trial and error - mostly error. :-D

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mutual Fund 8% was an example but should be easily obtainable . If you need help getting 8% return on your money then mabey we should talk.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domain investments beat everything else...nothing really comes close. of course you have to know what you are doing but once you get your feet wet and get serious you are going to be very happy with the results.

those folks that had a vision say 5, 8 or 10 years ago are flying high... and this is just the beginning!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
No doubt the blade swings both ways Sasq. I think it will fuel the continuing rise in domain name prices, but the good ones have been out of my price range for years anyhow so from a buyer's standpoint it is a moot point for many of us. There are still some nice scraps to be found in the niches though and it is nice to see the value of what we already have rise.

Don't entirely agree on this one. We are investing in IDN and we believe that this is a second wave to the domain bonanza, that is if you understand the difference between an IDN and a ccTLD! One of the big arguements against it is the problems with monetizing traffic. I was interested to see from your article that monetizing traffic has only really existed in the West for two years. Of course we probably already knew that, but then you forget as things change so fast!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

M

mole

Sorry but it is apparent that this is not a business report, but a story teller out to juice the market and the "scoop".

The situations portrayed seemed like they were scripted straight off a Hollywood set. What it portrays is not necessarily that there is a growing market for .COM names (and direct navigation), but that long time holders of .COM names are selling out while they can.

Internet namespace is evolving new, more precise highways that can and will eventually ursurp the dominance of the aging and tired highway that is .COM. And the new so-called "domain kings" do not necessarily operate off tired old soil.

The writer obviously fails to appreciate this simple fact, prefering to spin a fantasy story.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Sorry but it is apparent that this is not a business report, but a story teller out to juice the market and the "scoop".

The situations portrayed seemed like they were scripted straight off a Hollywood set. What it portrays is not necessarily that there is a growing market for .COM names (and direct navigation), but that long time holders of .COM names are selling out while they can.

Internet namespace is evolving new, more precise highways that can and will eventually ursurp the dominance of the aging and tired highway that is .COM. And the new so-called "domain kings" do not necessarily operate off tired old soil.

The writer obviously fails to appreciate this simple fact, prefering to spin a fantasy story.

Well Mole, yes there is a bit of story telling, but this is a story that still needs to be told to the Business Community.

I think the market for dot coms is still growing and indeed there seems to have been a real upsurge in activity in recent weeks, not only the King's dot coms, but also on my humble dot net.

I think some domainers are cashing up and getting out, but if you can realise the kind of money they are getting why not? To many as the business matures it is less exciting and they have enough money to move on or just enjoy life.

You are of course correct about the implications of new Search Technology, but domains are also about branding. I only type-in when I know where I am going, because I have been there before. If you have the right domain people will return to your site time and time again using this method, provided the domain is short and memorable and they can remember the extension. Dot com is a brand and does tend to be the one people default to, which is why business like it and that of course just reinforces the effect.

As far as speculation goes, you are of course correct the soil is getting very tired. This happens to all successful formulae eventually. Already, I hear people moaning that all the best IDN have gone, and they are not really in use yet. I missed the orginal dot com opportunity, most will will miss the IDN explosion because there minds are not open. There will of course have been huge bonanzas in the roll out of ccTLDs. The industry as a whole, however, is starting to mature and the opportunities are going to be niches rather than landgrabs. My only advice it make the best of the opportunities whilst they are still out there, but you will not achieve this by trying to replough someone elses's furrow!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Internet namespace is evolving new, more precise highways that .... will eventually ursurp the dominance of the aging and tired highway that is .COM.

That's what I call a fantasy story.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
dream on :-D

It ain't dreaming, its sleep walking. You only have to look at the constantly list of no hope domains put up for appraisal on this forum. Some have got wise any resorted to manipulating traffic and even Overture Scores. Most just follow like sheep!

Baa! Baa!

M

mole

dwrixon said:
Most just follow like sheep!

Baa! Baa!

What happens when you follow sheep is that you keep stepping on dung and your lungs get filled with fart.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
What happens when you follow sheep is that you keep stepping on dung and your lungs get filled with fart.

Yes, even if one assumes you are being led anywhere half-way sensible!

Baa! Baa!

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
None of us know for sure what will happen in the future.

All we can do is verbally and financially speculate what might happen.

The domain industry is evolving very quickly and all we can do is keep our eyes and mind
open to hints of change.

Are the .com guys cashing out?
No. It is wise investment practice to take a little bit of the risk off the table.
If you own 10,000 shares of Google at $ 189. It is prudent strategy to sell
maybe 1,000-2,000 shares today at $ 400. +/-

As for seach patterns in the future, maybe in the future you will type
"leather jackets" into your browser bar.

And, it might immediately check for "active" domains. Elliminating or bypassing
Google and Yahoo. You never know for sure what Microsoft is working on.

At this moment, I don't know if domains will become obsolete as 8 track tapes. Maybe, something will replace domains one day in the near future.

(When, I had a "mobile" phone permanently mounted in my car, could I have known at that time that I would carry one in my packet smaller than my wallet?)

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
dream on :-D

I'm not saying you're wrong Mole, I'm just saying you're nuts :-D

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
"leather jackets" into your browser bar.And, it might immediately check for "active" domains. Elliminating or bypassing Google and Yahoo. You never know for sure what Microsoft is working on.
Very possible. That would also eliminate .coms importance over any other extension. Content is King, not com.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com is like the biggest internet brand/slang offline.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:

"leather jackets" into your browser bar.

And, it might immediately check for "active" domains. Elliminating or bypassing
Google and Yahoo. You never know for sure what Microsoft is working on.

A

No, I am sorry this is nonsense. Whilst it is already possible to be redirected to suggested site by typing keywords into the address bar, internet addresses are fundamental.

A website corresponds to an IP address. If we want to go somewhere specific rather than to be indoctrinated by big advertising outfits we need to get to a specific IP address. The way that we have chosen to do this is via the DNS system. There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone who chooses to use IP address instead from using them, but I think you will agree that very few actually do. Although I will on occassions.

Don't forget you need to be directed to an IP address each time you send electronic mail. Are we really going to let Microsoft decide who the recepient of email will be. Give me a break!

Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom