Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Major Business 2.0 Magazine Domain Article Now Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Never say never, especially in this industry. :-D

Never, Never, Never!

This would be a total destruction of the internet as we know it. It absolutely amazes me that people suggest that Chinese should be prevented from using their local characters because of the risk of phishing, but would then rely on Microsoft to direct to their bank account.

Never, Never, Never!

Actually, you have just put forward the strongest arguement yet for taking the Internet out of US hands and putting under the control of the UN!

Domain Summit 2024

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regardless of your anti-U.S. sentiments, they have done more than most countries combined, save a few, to fuel the growth of the Internet to such a point that you and all of us here have an opportunity to profit from it.

If you believe that it's the U.S. that stands between you and your IDN profits, then I think you are a bit misguided in that respect.

M

mole

mike031 said:
.com is like the biggest internet brand/slang offline.

It is, but microsegment branding is equally important. But that's another story.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great thread / read. Aside from the B2.0 article itself, the post below stands out for me - the basis of this entire industry/the internet is technology moving incredibly fast.

mole said:
Sorry but it is apparent that this is not a business report, but a story teller out to juice the market and the "scoop".

The situations portrayed seemed like they were scripted straight off a Hollywood set. What it portrays is not necessarily that there is a growing market for .COM names (and direct navigation), but that long time holders of .COM names are selling out while they can.

Internet namespace is evolving new, more precise highways that can and will eventually ursurp the dominance of the aging and tired highway that is .COM. And the new so-called "domain kings" do not necessarily operate off tired old soil.

The writer obviously fails to appreciate this simple fact, prefering to spin a fantasy story.

BTW - can you subscribe to Business 2.0 outside USA/Canada?

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Sorry but it is apparent that this is not a business report, but a story teller out to juice the market and the "scoop".

The situations portrayed seemed like they were scripted straight off a Hollywood set. What it portrays is not necessarily that there is a growing market for .COM names (and direct navigation), but that long time holders of .COM names are selling out while they can.

Internet namespace is evolving new, more precise highways that can and will eventually ursurp the dominance of the aging and tired highway that is .COM. And the new so-called "domain kings" do not necessarily operate off tired old soil.

The writer obviously fails to appreciate this simple fact, prefering to spin a fantasy story.

People who own a lot of good dot com domains with traffic are making millions and tens of millions of dollars a year. That is not just a fantasy or a Hollywood story. :)

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
Regardless of your anti-U.S. sentiments, they have done more than most countries combined, save a few, to fuel the growth of the Internet to such a point that you and all of us here have an opportunity to profit from it.

If you believe that it's the U.S. that stands between you and your IDN profits, then I think you are a bit misguided in that respect.

I think you misunderstood me. To say that this was the strongest argument for taking the net out of US hands did not mean that I was a strong supporter of handing it over to the UN. However, some large corporations in the US are a threat to the Internet, because they are purely motivated by greed, and the US government is certainly not incorruptable.

We have already seen an example of this with the kidnapping of the domain drops, although this was always to be an area fraught with contention. If, however, there is any serious threat of being selected information rather than free to access information, then it will be time to take serious steps to limit corporate ambitions. The Domain Name system is fundamental to the internet, it not some passing trend. You either use the raw IPs which are now going to 18 digits instead of 12 or you use Domain Names. The system is logical but intuitive and provides accuracy of resolution.

I am beginning to understand now why some were becoming so hysterical over IDN. Not that there was really any reason to be so. ICANN have taken serious steps to eliminate IDN as a significant source of Phishing, which actually was only ever largely hypothetical. However, if you are talking about the DNS being usurped by "Intelligent Search", then we all have good reason to be hysterical.

Never, Never, Never!

Another serious point actually occurred to me. Whilst one has ownership over a domain name, what is the exact situation with an IP address? Is it permanently linked to a domain name whilst that address is active, or does it change for example if the name transfers between registrars or the hosting of a site is changed? I should be grateful for any clarification on this point that can be offerred.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
We have already seen an example of this with the kidnapping of the domain drops, although this was always to be an area fraught with contention.

On this point I agree with you. Personally, I think the domain drop business is full of fraud, although I don't have much proof to prove it. I always wondered about the "special" relationships between domain drop companies and registrars. And how can these relationships possibly be ethical? When there is major money at stake, the average domainer clearly gets shut out. Many say that the drop companies have no advantage in recovering a domain, but I say show me the proof. If you go after 10 quality dropped domains in today's market, my guess is you'll be beat on at least 9 out of 10 times -- even if you have multiple people working for you in obtaining the dropped domain.

So, even if the drop companies aren't using under-the-table deals to get these domains, they've still taken the dropped domain market off the table for many domainers who refuse to go to auction on only average quality domains.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
However, some large corporations in the US are a threat to the Internet, because they are purely motivated by greed, and the US government is certainly not incorruptable.

We have already seen an example of this with the kidnapping of the domain drops, although this was always to be an area fraught with contention. ...

However, if you are talking about the DNS being usurped by "Intelligent Search", then we all have good reason to be hysterical.

Never, Never, Never!

I assume we can interchange the word "greed" and "profit".

Is it greed if someone wins a domain at Snapnames for $ 1,000. and they sell
it a year later for $ 50,000?

Or, someone buys a domain at DNF for $ 10,000 and sells it within a year for $ 90,000.?

I agree there are a few companies that are "buying / registering" every name that
drops. Are they doing anything illegal? No. It is within the rules of Icann.

(Side note. Sometimes, I get annoyed with Microsoft because of their domination
of the software business. Are they doing anything wrong? Probably not.)

Being an owner of a few domains, I am concerned about "product obsolesce".
All business owners should be looking at potential threat to their revenue stream
on the horizon. (5 forces analysis)

It might not happen within the next 5 yrs. But, I wouldn't guarantee it won't happen in our lifetime.

That is why I say "never say never".

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I assume we can interchange the word "greed" and "profit".

Depends on the context and the morality as well as the legality. The law is suppose to protect against immoral acts, but more often than not it is a self-serving edifice, which is just there to generate fees.

Is it greed if someone wins a domain at Snapnames for $ 1,000. and they sell
it a year later for $ 50,000?

No if it has been fairly won and not misrepresented by scams like trafffic distortion I am all in favour of this.

Or, someone buys a domain at DNF for $ 10,000 and sells it within a year for $ 90,000.?

No the amount is of no consequence when making legal or moral judgements.

I agree there are a few companies that are "buying / registering" every name that
drops. Are they doing anything illegal? No. It is within the rules of Icann.

No problems with drops, it is the ones that don't actually drop that concern me, which is now most the valuable ones!

(Side note. Sometimes, I get annoyed with Microsoft because of their domination
of the software business. Are they doing anything wrong? Probably not.)

Ask the EU! I think the answer is plenty!

Being an owner of a few domains, I am concerned about "product obsolesce".
All business owners should be looking at potential threat to their revenue stream
on the horizon. (5 forces analysis)

Yes, you are right to evaluate Threats and Opportunities and all the other Mumbojumbo that I did during my Management Diploma.

It might not happen within the next 5 yrs. But, I wouldn't guarantee it won't happen in our lifetime.

Domain Names are as essential to the Internet and numbers are to telephones or Zip Codes are to the postal service. Do really want the Post Office delivering your letters where they determine or the Telecoms company diverting you to a sales line, simply because they feel it is more appropriate.?

That is why I say "never say never".

Elimination of the Domain Name system will be a severe encroachment on and abbrogation of our human rights. I say Never! Never! Never!

M

mole

DomainGoon said:
People who own a lot of good dot com domains with traffic are making millions and tens of millions of dollars a year. That is not just a fantasy or a Hollywood story. :)

Good for them, they deserve it by spotting potential early in the game or risking it all and aggressively buying up domains with hundreds of thousands of their own hard earned cash.

But to deck the domain halls with old time melodramas reminisce of Gone With The Wind makes the domain industry whimsical and teeming with swashbuckling pirates of Never Never Land.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
Personally, I think the domain drop business is full of fraud, although I don't have much proof to prove it.

I always wondered about the "special" relationships between domain drop companies and registrars. And how can these relationships possibly be ethical?

When there is major money at stake, the average domainer clearly gets shut out.

Regarding special relationships -
Are you referring to the relationship between the registry (Verisign and others)
and the registrars?
Or, Snapnames, Enom and Pool and their family of registrars?

As for being shut out -
Like most things in the world, if you have the money you can buy it.
If you don't have enough money to buy something, you don't get it.

I'm sure you are also against the "oil cartel". If you don't want to pay the
market value for an oil product, use a electric car and solar and wind power.

I also get shut out a lot during drops and the auction process. But, I respect our capitalistic economy. (Gold is king.)

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Regarding special relationships -
Are you referring to the relationship between the registry (Verisign and others)
and the registrars?
Or, Snapnames, Enom and Pool and their family of registrars?

As for being shut out -
Like most things in the world, if you have the money you can buy it.
If you don't have enough money to buy something, you don't get it.

I'm sure you are also against the "oil cartel". If you don't want to pay the
market value for a oil product, use a electric car and solar and wind power.

I'm also get shut out a lot during drops and the auction process. But, I respect our capitalistic economy. (Gold is king.)

The problem rests with the relationship that Registrars have with Drop Grabbers. This arrangement means that there is a serious conflict of interest by Registrar in regard to their primary function. In my view they should all have their ICANN acreditation withdrawn, as it brings the whole system into disrepute.

The whole point of an Oil Cartel is you don't pay the market price, but some specially inflated version of it! It is came under US Government juristiction, it would be Anti-Trust!

I have packed in doing drops apart from with IDN where you can do them manually. I have nothing against Capitalism, I am a speculator! But if you are happy to be ripped off by Mega-Corporations, just because Uncle Sam says so, then I afraid we part company.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Domain Names are as essential to the Internet and numbers are to telephones or Zip Codes are to the postal service. Do really want the Post Office delivering your letters where they determine or the Telecoms company diverting you to a sales line, simply because they feel it is more appropriate.?

In my lifetime, the U.S. Postal Service went from a postal code process to a drastically different process called zip code. Should I assume that a better
system couldn't be created which would be drastically different than zipcode?

In my lifetime, I have seen phone numbers change drastically from "party lines" to operated assisted long distance to area codes and direct dialing.
Should I assume that it will not drastically change again, in my lifetime?

Never say never.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
In my lifetime, the U.S. Postal Service went from a postal code process to a drastically different process called zip code. Should I assume that a better
system couldn't be created which would be drastically different than zipcode?

In my lifetime, I have seen phone numbers change drastically from "party lines" to operated assisted long distance to area codes and direct dialing.
Should I assume that it will not drastically change again, in my lifetime?

Never say never.

Yes, we have had similar changes in the UK. There is a difference, however, in as much as the other two examples are situations where you are prescribed your number or Code. The systems have been expanded generally to create sufficient numbers where the original system proved inadequate.

With domains the expansion goes on at two levels. One with IP addresses which are going from 12 characters to 18, which will be enough to serve the needs of the known universe. At the domain name level, the capacity is being rapidly expanded by the introduction of IDN, which means that ASCII system is really now only covering the West rather than the entire Globe. If there are limitations in capacity, ICANN just authorizes more Registries and new GTLDs. There is absolutely no logical reason for change, in fact after about 20 odd years, we are in the throws of the necessary changes that will probably keep us on track through the next 50 years.

Domain Names are also unique in mainy ways as they are chosen by users and then linked to IP addresses which are prescribed. All sorts of re-organisation can therefore go on behind the scenes, without the end-user being aware of it. The system is infinitely adaptable to the needs of the User, which means that if change is required, then the User just does it himself.

There is also the small matter of how much has actually been invested in getting the system to it currently level of sophistication and the intellectual property rights associated with it. If anyone really wants to try and alter things then face potential class actions running in to Trillions of dollars.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Drops should be taken back to the way they were. Early bird gets the worm. I do agree on this one. And I'm not just speaking as a domainer. The current system is flawed and the proposed solution will turn out to be a huge mistake if allowed. A couple of huge holes is the system itself.

Legit buyer 1 placing a bid at one registry
Legit buyer 2 placing a bid at one registry
Fraud buyer 3 driving up legit buyers bids at another

Fraud buyer wins and doesn't pay. Registry then has to go to Legit buyer and request funds on a tainted auction. Or then has to re-auction and legit buyers may not be able to or interested in particpating again. Either way they propose to do it this will be happening right and left.

Another
Legit buyer 1 placing a bid at one registry
Legit buyer 2 placing a bid at one registry
Owner and recipient of a percentage of proceeds from auction drives the bid up at another.

Either way they propose to do it this will be happening right and left.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
What happens when you follow sheep is that you keep stepping on dung and your lungs get filled with fart.

so are you the new shepherd ? I'm glad I was NOT one of your "sheep" a long time ago when you were still preaching this tired story .

Also, regarding your thoughts on the "scripted" story. . . .guess you had to be there to know if it's true or not . . . 1% of all yahoo traffic (and a nice guy as well) . Guess that makes for one big fat rich sheep living a well-scripted life.

M

mole

strongvis said:
so are you the new shepherd ? I'm glad I was NOT one of your "sheep" a long time ago when you were still preaching this tired story.

The only tired story is that DOTCOM is king, and all the other extensions are crap.

The issue is not whether we should be sheeps to a shepherd, or shepherds to sheeps, but that the Internet is full of, and growing with, new opportunities for those willing to take the path less trodden by hooves.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
The only tired story is that DOTCOM is king, and all the other extensions are crap.

The issue is not whether we should be sheeps to a shepherd, or shepherds to sheeps, but that the Internet is full of, and growing with, new opportunities for those willing to take the path less trodden by hooves.

That is just.. absurd.

The conclusion that should be reached --from all of the high profile .COM sales, the adoption of .COM by US business, the widespread use of .COM as evidenced by type-ins from the public, the VC interest in .COM, and the media attention for .COM --is the exact opposite of yours.

The right conclusion is that only .COM has any real value.

Those hooves are towing saddlebags chock full of gold.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"The second coming of the commerce Internet won't be called the DOTCOM boom, but the Internet as it should have been in the first place" ~ chronicles of 2008 mole

amen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom