Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Major ENOM Club Drop Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nameable said:
Pool is doing it right *shudder* by sending you directly to the registrars instead of letting you think you can control the domains through some pool.com control panel.

I still have names at pool's so-called "registrars" that do not have active sites or domain management ability. Can't get my login passwords, and they don't recognize the domain they caught for me to send out a "lost password".

It shouldn't be our (domainers) problem to figure out how the drop catchers share revenue, you'd think the catchers would want to satisfy their customers (us) and make this stuff easy for us to work with.

Maybe one day someone bright will figure out how to take control of this market and use the power of consumer organization or collective bargaining. All the money originates from us you know. Right now the power and profit is in the wrong hands.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ENOM'S FAQ on their site regarding Club Drop Domains =
Can I manage my Club Drop domains from my eNom account?
Yes. Although the domains may have been registered through the credentials of a registrar other than eNom, you can manage the domain in your eNom account. Reference = http://www.enom.com/help/faq_clubdrop.asp#A13

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Received a Club Drop name a couple of days ago - reg'd with wgbregistry.com - no working interface there but the domain IS able to be administered through Enom, however the whois just reflects the registry and I have emailed them and reminded them that correct whois is a requirement. Yet to hear from them.

Domstar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought a domain via the club drop on enom. I got the winning notification:

This order has been generated via our Club Drop service. Below you will find a summary of the products and services ordered for your account (LoginID = xxxx):

Type Qty ExtAmt Description / Status
==========================================================================
Registration 1 6.95 domain.com / Successful
ClubDrop Bid 1 10.00 domain.com / Successful

TOTAL BILLED: $16.95 USD to your reseller account

Problem is, I could not update the dns. I tried for over a month. I sent 4 msg to enom's customer service department. Their first response was:

I have just checked the domain under your account. Looks like this domain was purchased through club drop and the registrar is Domain Zoo. Basically, you own the domain, the registrar is Domain Zoo, but the account is at eNom. We are currently working to get your domain back to enom so that you could fully control it. We don't have time frame for this issue.

Next was "what do you want it to be, we'll update it manually for you" (which I gave the info.) After a week it was still not updated. I emailed for the 3rd time. "we'll get with the registrar and see what's taking do long." The 4th email was "we are looking into this." The 5th email. (almost two months after I got the domain.) was:

Unfortunately, DomainZoo is now stating that eNom did not actually catch the domain using their credentials. We have refunded your account for the domain. We are no longer using DomainZoo for Club Drop domains so this will not be an issue in the future.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

How owns it? BD via DomainZoo.com. I no longer trust enom or their club drop system. I think they (or Domain Zoo) got a better offer from BD and just took my name from me. Has anyone else had an experience like this at enom?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tell u people, this is more serious than it sounds now.
Dont want to be the bringer of bad news, but...
BAD NEWS...

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
one of the few times that I edit my post *before* submiting it.
So, I wont speak yet...
But... Enom better get their act together because I have found a loop hole in their system that I could sue them for mega $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...
Since I like them, I will let it sleep for a while. 48 hours should be enough.
-Pending announcement

I tell u people, this is more serious than it sounds now.
Dont want to be the bringer of bad news, but...
BAD NEWS...

Must be something VERY important!!?? :worried:

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domstar -
Has anyone else had an experience like this at enom?
Yes we had 4 domains that had that same problem at Domain Zoo and Buy Domains and never retrieved one of the domains (bought one back from Buy Domains because we needed it), I think Ken at Top Names had one recently with the same problem and to date we have had 23 bad registrations, lost domains or domains we could not manage from Club Drop buys. We lost 7 last month with the Stargate problem. We were one of the first members there when they started the program and had many false positive registration that showed we owned the domain name in their control panel, were charged for the name and later when we tried to change DNS or transfer the domain name, we found out they were really caught by other registrars and not ENOM. John Berryhill (Attorney) handled one of these matters for us and we still never got the domain name back. Steve

Domstar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what safeguards are in place to protect the integrity of the system? If DZ is snagging the domains, how do we know they aren't just doing some "back room deals?"

With these problems at enom and pools recent changes, it seems the last hint of ethics has been finally tossed completely out. Or is there some other explanation?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess you guys can figure for yourselves the inherent complications of working with so-called registrars with names based on animal origins.

Registrars can play dropcatchers out, they can even shill their own caught bids at dropcatchers so they get better revenues.

And no, there is no policing system for all this mess. You just take it, and hope for the best. Half the time, you get screwed without even knowing it. The other half, you get by ok. So what's the option. DON"T PLAY.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is the updated response from ENOM - Hope this helps explain how they are handling these matters - Steve

Hello Steve,

Ok here goes. The domains are registered at Domain Monger - and not eNom - thus you cant renew the domain from eNom, the only way to do that is to transfer the domain into your account. Now, since the domains are expired by a few days, that complicates things. if the domains are still listed as Active, and not locked - maybe the transfer could still go through? If domain monger does not allow the transfer then unfortunately you would have to go there, open an account with them and renew the domains directly with them. Amin

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is only one of several recent eNom problems. I was pushing a large list of domain names via list wizard from my main ETP account to a sub-account of mine. I accidentally included a name that I had sold a few months ago, which was no longer in my account. My mistake to include the name on the list, I admit. What do you think happened? Do you think I got an error saying the domain is not in my account to push? No, the domain was pushed from the account of the new owner to my subaccount! I asked eNom to return it to the owner and they told me such requests must come from the account the domain was pushed from. I told them the owner of that account did not do the push, and they told me that was impossible, that they had tested and retested their software and that could not happen. (In other words, I am a liar.) They said their records show that it was pushed from the new owner's account. I asked them to look at their logs to see if anyone was logged in to that account at the time. No answer. They absolutely refused to put the domain name back where it belonged at my request, even though I own both the ETP account and the account the name was pushed to - for "security" reasons. I had to get the new owner involved to correct the problem (very embarrassing for me).

Another problem - global edit. I decided I better move my domains to a safer place (see above) so I tried to use global edit to remove the registrar lock. It worked, at least in the eNom control panel. Unfortunately the registry did not agree that the domain names were unlocked, so I had to go back and unlock all the names again.

Another problem, eNom DNS. I didn't realize when I put 2000 names on eNom's DNS that there would be no way to ever get them off without shutting the names down for two days. When you take a name off eNom's DNS, eNom's DNS servers stop working immediately for that name, even though the name servers in the TLD zone won't be updated for 12-48+ hours. Lost traffic = lost money. This is partly a problem because of slow TLD zone updates for .com and .net, which will hopefully be rectified next month when they go to fast updates, but eNom could easily keep the zones alive in their servers for a couple of days.

I could go on with a few more personal examples of additional problems, but you get the idea. I want to like eNom, but lately they are scaring me.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Before you try to attempt to sell a domain won at club drop, always make sure you actually own the domain, EVEN if it shows up in your enom account. The more valuable the name, the more you should check. Especially if you paid anything in the high $XXX to $XXXX range.
This will avoid embarassment with your clients, and save you time in negotiating for a name that you think you have, that you may in fact not own. Your reputation is at stake...........

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
Before you try to attempt to sell a domain won at club drop, always make sure you actually own the domain, EVEN if it shows up in your enom account. The more valuable the name, the more you should check. Especially if you paid anything in the high $XXX to $XXXX range.
This will avoid embarassment with your clients, and save you time in negotiating for a name that you think you have, that you may in fact not own. Your reputation is at stake...........
Lol - I coudl see that happening!

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I saw that happen...

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I saw that happen...
We had that happen - twice we sold domains that were not there - both over 6 months from the date of registration. Showed as our domain names in ENOM'S whois, in our control panel, DNS supposedly set, showed on our monthly domain report from ENOM and when we went to transfer the domains - they were both owned by other brokers. Had to buy one from another broker to complete the transaction (lost big $$$). ALWAYS check an outside whois before placing anything from Club Drop into your inventory - Steve

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is that a solution though?
I mean sure, now I am paranoid and I check whois.
But who will pay for my loss to me and my client If I closed a $XXXXX deal and I look like I am a domain-hijacker because I cant prove to my client that I own the domain???

It sound to me like this is something a lawyer should handle?
Also, what about the $XXXX I paid???
Sure, they can pay you back, but the damage is not only financial...

Of course, I have had WORSE cases with pool. Try selling a domain that is owned in Japan by a non ENglish speaking registrar and explain to them you want to sell the domain when they dont understand a simple DNS change...
This is sooooo frustrating.

clickmaster

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem right now. After reading this thread I checked a domain I have with club drop and while Enom's whois shows it registered to me, all outside whois shows it registered to the broker. I complained yesterday to Enom and I received a response telling me that it is in my name and to check Enom's whois! So now I'm waiting for a response to my second, less friendly, email.

The fact that this is allowed to happen is completely unacceptable. I am getting very tired with these drop catchers and their mickey mouse games.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clickmaster said:
The fact that this is allowed to happen is completely unacceptable. I am getting very tired with these drop catchers and their mickey mouse games.

You guys should have insisted on WLS! Too late. Weep and reap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom