Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Mall.com - stolen name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
Well, do you know anything about the story, and it's ending?
I believe Ataxx got Mall.com back by contacting GoDaddy directly and using a bit of legal persuasion. As far as I'm aware, he got all the stolen domains back (I had a few belonging to Ataxx and another owner). I still have one domain that I can't find the owner for..

Ataxx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone and thanks for your continued support and concern regarding this unfortunate event. To fully confirm what happened, it turns out that we were somehow compromised through one of our laptops that had yahoo instant messenger. By this, the thief managed to infiltrate our firewall through a yahoo exploit of some kind.

Foolishly on our part, we seemed to have had an associated yahoo address to one of our portfolios, this gave the thief an immediate access to our GD account who then performed a password access reset and gained access to our names. The difficult issue here was of course trying to convince godaddy that we weren't the ones who made these radical changes to our account. Lucky of course for us, GD automatically prevented the names from being transferred since this individual performed local registrant changes.

After compiling a book stack of proof, regarding IDs to purchase agreements to you name it, we ONLY got roughly half of our names back, absurd to say the least. I then immediately phoned my attorney and of course with his usual magic, managed to recover the rest.

The lesson here is, make sure your account is obviously not associated with any free e-mail whatsoever, meaning login access not necessarily ADMIN/TECH whois associations. And secondly, always stay up to date with security revisions of your applicable browser and OS.

My next step of course is now to move away from GD and into my own registrar when we launch this summer. I of course couldn't have got my names back if it weren't for the tremendous help from some of you. So that’s my story folks.

PS Thanks Beechie :)

-mike

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what a peachy ending, I was kind of expecting to here a more sinister update, but I'm glad you got all your names back :)

andyat11

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funniest thing I think I was talking buisnes with the same one... the english part I remember.
Andy

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ataxx said:
Foolishly on our part, we seemed to have had an associated yahoo address to one of our portfolios, this gave the thief an immediate access to our GD account who then performed a password access reset and gained access to our names.

Do you, er, yahoo?

Ataxx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bashar said:
domain still stolen or got returned to you Mike?

Yea the name is back in our possession.

I'm just happy right now that I bought SEO.COM!! :)

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how much? lol, nice way to brag about it :D

:O btw it wasn't a dropped name was it?

Ataxx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CSite.Net said:
how much? lol, nice way to brag about it :D

Sorry I don't disclose on names I buy.

Ataxx said:
Sorry I don't disclose on names I buy.

it was purchased direcly from the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom