Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys believe .mobi has no potential. But consider, just how many giant companies support it:

Ericsson, Google, GSM Association, Hutchison, Microsoft, Nokia, Orascom Telecom, Samsung Electronics, Syniverse, T-Mobile, and others.

Now let us suppose that .mobi is "scam", as some of you believe. That means, the companies listed above "somehow agreed to run this scam so as to share the profit". Well, I would say, combined yearly income of the .mobi supporters is around 30bn. That is net income, not revenues. Now, how much income may this supposed ".mobi scam" bring for them?

Let us say there will be registered, by the "poor deceived ones", a maximum of about 25mn .mobi names, until they "realize" this was a "scam". Each registration is about 40 dollars, on average, thus this supposed "scam" will bring the members of .mobi consortium listed above a total MAXIMUM income of around $1bn (minus expenses for advertising). You may say it is a HUGE amount, but consider, in this "scam" the income would have to be shared among the consortium members, which are over 10, yet some share must be given to the registrars who provide .mobi registrations.

So, each member of the .mobi consortium will get no more than $100 mn (minus advertising expenses) in the supposed "scam", and I don't think it is anyhow close to their income level, as these companies make billions in net income per year. Therefore, I don't believe .mobi is scam, since these huge firms are NOT going to risk their business reputations for quite less than $100mn for each.

.US, .CC, and some other extensions like .biz didn't justify themselves and didn't become successful. But, were they backed by as many large supporters as .mobi is? No. Therefore I think .mobi will not fail and is no scam at all. Expect to see new mobile devices developed, and that will solve the problem that some guys see in .mobi.

Domain summit 2024

maui

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
genius boy, just because they support it doesn't mean that they endorse it. I know for a fact that Google and Nokia have NO plans to promote .mobi as a standard. Why would they? it restricts their ability to reach customers. Content standards won't be determined by a TLD it will be based on either a markup or protocol standard such as XHTML, MP3, JPG, etc. The key is to get existing content to work on the incumbent diverse categories of devices (Symbian, Windows, Java, etc.) rather than re-purpose it to one standard. There are a plethura of rendering (http://mobilizer.volantis.net) and transcoding (Vantrix) companies who have installed products working at all the companies you mention above.

Do us all a favor and think first before posting.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
genius boy, just because they support it doesn't mean that they endorse it. I know for a fact that Google and Nokia have NO plans to promote .mobi as a standard. Why would they? it restricts their ability to reach customers. Content standards won't be determined by a TLD it will be based on either a markup or protocol standard such as XHTML, MP3, JPG, etc. The key is to get existing content to work on the incumbent diverse categories of devices (Symbian, Windows, Java, etc.) rather than re-purpose it to one standard. There are a plethura of rendering (http://mobilizer.volantis.net) and transcoding (Vantrix) companies who have installed products working at all the companies you mention above.

Do us all a favor and think first before posting.

You should do the same

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another lovers and haters mobi thread....lol

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist. Maui, you flame people all the time here on this subject. Yet, its a known fact that you've asked for apprasals for your own .mobi domains.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
not sure if you copied pasted this from some other misinformed domainer but FYI .mobi registrations are nowhere near $40

Moniker $12.95
GoDaddy $14.95

You are incorrect: with 2 years minimum term, it is double those amounts. I wrote "on average", since earlier the prices were well above those amounts ($25.90, $29,90, etc), and also, the miimum registration term is 2 years.

Anyway, your logic just confirms that I am correct: if as you say minimum reg fee is $12.95, then the supposed MAXIMUM income of supposed scammers would be around 1/3bn (see calculation above), thus making my proof more valuable, since the .mobi consortium members are not going to risk their reputations for less than 1/3 of a hundred million bucks ($33mn maximum) for each.

I couldn't resist. Maui, you flame people all the time here on this subject. Yet, its a known fact that you've asked for apprasals for your own .mobi domains.

LOL. Some of these are indeed worthy and some not, but the fact is, many domainers do NOT like .mobi names AS SUCH. Not depending whether my names are bad or good.

I have posted this thread to prove that .mobi is not a scam.

3dGEEK

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMHO there are many who have missed the .mobi Train and are simply left standing at the platform watching others enjoy the ride.

They have realised these trains are very rare and they have missed out.... Hence the fustrations :yes: . So the next best thing they do is to create a false sense of doom and gloom regarding .mobies hoping they can pick a few resell bargains :cool:

The simple fact is, The .mobi sales Figures speak for themselves :yes:

I don't remember any other tld turning around so many sales after 4 months from release.

Period!! :approve:

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cooldomain, i wasn't referring to you, but to Maui Wowie who posted above

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i don't think there was even a question that .mobi is a scam (!) the question is whether .mobi makes sense from a speculator/investor standpoint and you'll see views severely unaligned :)

You can read through the posts or better run search for "mobi scam" keywords to find out just how many guys think it is scam. I do agree there are as well MANY domainers who think it is a good TLD.

You just need to realize that my proof is addressed to those who believe that .mobi is a scam.

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's the registrars who are laughing all the way to the bank with the mobi hype.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's the registrars who are laughing all the way to the bank with the mobi hype.

Yeah... these registrarts are deceiving the 10 companies of .mobi consortium (see the list above), who naively support .mobi, and are laughing all he time. :D

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i don't think there was even a question that .mobi is a scam (!) the question is whether .mobi makes sense from a speculator/investor standpoint and you'll see views severely unaligned :)
.mobi is not a scam per se but will turn out to be a costly investment for some.
So far it has proven to be a good opportunity for those who have been able to flip them for a quick profit. IMO now is the time to flip them, the bubble will burst sooner or later.
I agree with Rick that it is a narrow market and most of the names registered have limited value if any.
IMHO there are many who have missed the .mobi Train and are simply left standing at the platform watching others enjoy the ride.

They have realised these trains are very rare and they have missed out.... Hence the fustrations :yes: . So the next best thing they do is to create a false sense of doom and gloom regarding .mobies hoping they can pick a few resell bargains :cool:
I think the opposite: those who have missed the .com train will be bitterly disappointed if they think .mobi will be their savior :cool:

I don't remember any other tld turning around so many sales after 4 months from release.

.eu has been doing fine (eg. Hotels.eu €257,000)
Keep in mind that the big .mobi sales are the results of reserved domains auctioned by the registry
unlike .eu where the 'smartest' (or the cheaters) got the best domains for a song.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my advice for anyone who owns a .mobi domain is to develop, develop, develop...its the only way to shut up the critics, of which i am gettting so sick of hearing them whine...you would think .mobi killed their family, the way that some of them bash the extension and anyone who supports it.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your support, 3DGeek. :)

3dGEEK

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my advice for anyone who owns a .mobi domain is to develop, develop, develop...its the only way to shut up the critics, of which i am gettting so sick of hearing them whine...you would think .mobi killed their family, the way that some of them bash the extension and anyone who supports it.

well said seanboy. :smilewinkgrin:

It really makes me laugh when people go all doom and gloom over life's little pleasures. :shy:

Life is too short to get all negative guys :cool:

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Neil Edwards, the CEO of the dotMobi extension is speaking at CES today and tomorrow along with Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Google T-Mobile, etc. etc.

The dotMobi CEO will unveil the conspiracy promulgated upon the world.

Myopic naysayers, you missed your opportunity.

I really enjoy watching you bitch & moan about .mobi.

Nothing better than watching ignorant, scared, risk adverse pinheads & dinasours pout and create conspiracy theories about .mobi.

All those doom & gloomers, ignorant naysayers, --- all of them have fueled my success, ambition & risk taking.

Keep up the good work.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators