Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.Mobi:

1. Killed both Kennedys, MLK, and President Lincoln.
2. Was the force behind the 911 attacks
3. Has weapons of mass destruction
4. Covered up the Roswell, NM fiasco
5. Murdered Jonbeney Ramsey

I have proof :)

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nothing better than watching ignorant, scared, risk adverse pinheads & dinasours pout and create conspiracy theories about .mobi.

All those doom & gloomers, ignorant naysayers, --- all of them have fueled my success, ambition & risk taking.
Michael

why don't you wait until after his speech to proclaim victory? Nobody is jealous of your success if everyone had .mobi sales like you the market would be dry so do not to worry...

If you are familiar the basic principle of capitalism then you know the money tree gets exploited by a few so enjoy it before it corrects..

PS it's dinosaurs

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so who's gonna be the RubberDuck copy-cat and officially start pumping the extension?

was wondering the same thing myself... i dont want anyone doing blind cheerleading... its still speculation right now.

Saying you are 100% sure an extention will succeed is ridiculous.
Saying you are 100% sure an extention will fail is also ridiculous..

.mobi was never a scam to earn money from registrations... if anyone thinks that they need to think a little more, or a little less. thats small potatoes..

the question is will it succeed and what factors does it have going for it, and what does it have going against it?

not any of this ".mobi isnt needed because .com can detect what device your using" arguement...
.mobi IS partly a marketing scheme, so lets think beyond simple minded arguements.

we cannot create our own extentions, we use what is approved by icann.. mobi is the first of its kind

will it succeed?

nobody knows.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.Mobi:

1. Killed both Kennedys, MLK, and President Lincoln.
2. Was the force behind the 911 attacks
3. Has weapons of mass destruction
4. Covered up the Roswell, NM fiasco
5. Murdered Jonbeney Ramsey

I have proof :)

LOL! Exactly.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Neil Edwards, the CEO of the dotMobi extension is speaking at CES today and tomorrow along with Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Google T-Mobile, etc. etc.

The dotMobi CEO will unveil the conspiracy promulgated upon the world.

Myopic naysayers, you missed your opportunity.

I really enjoy watching you bitch & moan about .mobi.

Nothing better than watching ignorant, scared, risk adverse pinheads & dinasours pout and create conspiracy theories about .mobi.

All those doom & gloomers, ignorant naysayers, --- all of them have fueled my success, ambition & risk taking.

Keep up the good work.

Michael

Well said!

LOL! Exactly.

LOL.

Let us see whose LOL was more correct. :)

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just sold 2 mobis with sedo
Pushed both last 10 mins
one for $xxx mid
one for $xxxx low
i'm not grumbling ;)
seems to be a few .com snobs who think you have to deal in one or the other extension :rolleyes:
i & many others like me on this forum deal in quality tlds.
that means .info, .net,.org, .mobi, .com (not .biz LOL)
i've stayed out of the mobi discussions for weeks cos frankly i don't give a monkeys if naysayers are missing out. myself & friends are making more dollar on mobi sales than other extensions at the moment & we haven't even started yet.
plenty of gracious members have been kind enough to pass on best wishes & congrats to us on hearing of sales, publicly & privately.
yes some sh*te has been regged in .mobi, but some gems too, exactly the same as any other extension.
for or against, all we know is what's happened since late september '06, a real success story , handled superbly well by the mobi registry.
fingers crossed for continued success, sales in all extensions for all members.
Pred :smilewinkgrin:

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
congrats on the sale pred..i'm still waiting for my check from Sedo, i see that they can take forever to come!

DaveZilla

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For it to be a scam, that would require a conspiracy. If you mean that the .mobi backers went ahead with it knowing full well it might fail, then they should share their crystal balls, because nobody knows if it will succeed in the long run or not. Many people believe it will though.

Domainers and speculation are a barrier to the success of any TLD. They add 0 value for a high price to the development of .mobi as a whole.

Development, compelling content, and advertising are the only things that will decide the success or failure of the extension.

maui

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You should do the same

hahahah touche

I couldn't resist. Maui, you flame people all the time here on this subject. Yet, its a known fact that you've asked for apprasals for your own .mobi domains.

i'm not flaming, for what it's worth i'm in the industry and i want to make people understand the realities of .mobi. is there short term opportunity? absolutely. have i sold a few? yes. someone is going to buy a bunch of .mobi names and find out 6 months from now that they've lost a lot of money...ii'm just trying to help prevent that. my simple view is that there is no long term viablity with .mobi. just short term speculator opportunities

IMHO there are many who have missed the .mobi Train and are simply left standing at the platform watching others enjoy the ride.

They have realised these trains are very rare and they have missed out.... Hence the fustrations :yes: . So the next best thing they do is to create a false sense of doom and gloom regarding .mobies hoping they can pick a few resell bargains :cool:

The simple fact is, The .mobi sales Figures speak for themselves :yes:

I don't remember any other tld turning around so many sales after 4 months from release.

Period!! :approve:

i never said you can't make money, i'm just saying that there isn't a solid business model. content is going to be ubiquitous not sourced from a single tld or company. period.

Neil Edwards, the CEO of the dotMobi extension is speaking at CES today and tomorrow along with Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Google T-Mobile, etc. etc.

The dotMobi CEO will unveil the conspiracy promulgated upon the world.

Myopic naysayers, you missed your opportunity.

I really enjoy watching you bitch & moan about .mobi.

Keep up the good work.

Michael

hahhahaha

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Idiots don't understand that there is NO .mobi conspiracy. If even it is a conspiracy, then it is along with other conspiracies. And as such .mobi is a highly potential market, with five and six figure sales on horizon.

In terms of sale, I have sold a .mobi for a mid x,xxx amount.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Smart selling pre-bubble burst.

Hey, are you saying that the .Mobi supporters: IT and telecom giants such as Ericsson, Google, GSM Association, Hutchison, Microsoft, Nokia, Orascom Telecom, Samsung Electronics, Syniverse, T-Mobile, and others, whose combined yearly income around 30bn, deceive the people to get just $1bn maximum which they will yet need to share among themselves? See the first posting in this thread...

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Give it up cooldomain...there are people who are going to be against this extension no matter what anyone says, and thats cool, they are entitled to their opinion, just like we are..

OK, no more arguing for the next few hours...the buckeyes are about to play

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cooldomain clearly you're not very well familiar with the industry at all. If I were you I'd sit back, relax and provide some meaningful debates with constructive points. Repeating the same things over and over you sound like RubberDuck..

nobody is BASHING .mobi, every domain investment is based on a degree of speculation. I bought a ton of LLL.CC and I lost money, I bought some LLL.US didn't make as much money as my NNNN.COM or other LN/LL or LLL.COM in the same timeframe.

.us was hot last summer when speculators and what I call price-fixers at another forum were asking $10K irrespective of .US domain. .info had its time shortly after when a few city.info domains changed hands and made DNJ. .mobi picked up like crazy after Rick's forum..

Do you make $$$$ - that's GREAT for you an all .mobi supporters, I don't personally care one way or another. Remember this industry is NOT regulated hence everything is VERY volatile and based on supply and demand. As long as .mobi make DNJournal every week you'll enjoy a prosperous 2007, but when sales stop then let's have another chat...

you guys need to take a break, becoming fanatical about sports, politics, religion or domains is the most absurd and stupid think *ever*!!! geez

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
im not fanatical about anything, but the buckeyes better win tonight!! :)

ok im done, later guys :)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hated .mobi - until I registered a couple solid 3 letter .mobi's

Soon after, all 3 letter .mobis were taken and their value skyrocketed. Now I think the extension isn't so bad :)

Jealously is a horrible vice.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hated .mobi - until I registered a couple solid 3 letter .mobi's

Soon after, all 3 letter .mobis were taken and their value skyrocketed. Now I think the extension isn't so bad :)

Jealously is a horrible vice.

Most extensions aren't bad if you baught solid keywords or 3 letters... making money of it is even better. I didn't like the .mobi and still don't, however, personal feelings aside as an investor that did not stop me from buying a few.:yes: to me it was a risk worth taking.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Source: http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008931.html

I'll admit I've gone back and forth on my opinions of the new .mobi TLD. But I've finally made the firm decision that it's definitely a step forward for the mobile web. Sometimes I'd wonder if we really needed Yet Another Domain Name or if a new domain name would cause confusion, or if separating out addresses for the mobile web was really a good idea. But I have finally decided once and for all it's a Good Thing(TM). Here's why in a sentence:
We'll finally have a standard format for initial mobile web navigation: companyname.mobi

This is the thing that's really missing from the mobile web. There's been no way to know exactly what the URL was for the mobile version of a website. There may be a bunch of redirect or handset detection magic that happens (or not), but the end URLs are all over the place. Here's some examples from some of the most popular mobile sites in the US (and BBC news too):
Yahoo!: http://wap.oa.yahoo.com
AOL: http://mobile.aol.com
MSN: http://mobile.msn.com
Google: http://google.com/xhtml
ESPN: http://proxy.espn.go.com/wireless/espn/
Weather Channel: http://xhtml.weather.com/xhtml/
BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile
ABC News: http://wap.go.com/abcnews/
Just from those sites alone there's only two URLs that use the same format, the rest use various versions of subdomains and directories that include XHTML, Mobile, WAP and Wireless. And those are just the sites that actually are meant for mobile phones. There's still tons of "handheld" sites out there with URLs that have PDA or AvantGo in them that have been repurposed as well. Add to this that some of the sites do auto-detection and redirection, some don't and you never really know what you're going to get when you type in a URL on a phone. Industry experts will claim that consumers don't want to type in URLs on their handsets, and can you blame them? They don't have a chance in the world of finding the right address. I type in www.companyname.com in my web browser and I'll probably find navigate directly to what i'm looking for, this is a total dream on a mobile phone. (Note that if I'm *searching* for something, I'll probably use a search box, which is the same on mobiles too.. but then again, you'll have to navigate to the search engine site first won't you?).

Thus .mobi is a great way to restart the mobile web by giving it a standard naming and navigation scheme for that first step. An ICAAN approved domain name with standards on what is and what isn't a mobile friendly site is perfect. The mandatory rules for a .mobi domain are simple, practical and most importantly, enforceable: 1) You have to end up at a XHTML-MP page if you type in a url that ends in .mobi, either via a primary or secondary domain: i.e. you have to support just domainname.mobi as well as anything.domainname.mobi. 2) You can't use frames. That's it. Pretty easy. You can do redirects to any URL you want, as long as the user ends up at an XHTML-MP page at the end. Awesome.

Even if you LOVE server-side handset detection and think it's both the absolute best way to serve customers and the holy grail of the World Wide Web, the very simple rules above give us something what we've been desperately needing in the mobile web: A standard navigation scheme. Now users can guess "cnn.mobi" or "yahoo.mobi" or "amazon.mobi" and KNOW that their phone isn't going to barf at them, and the companies will have a standard name to rally around as well. I would imagine that very soon, the handsets themselves will incorporate this, so instead of having to type in .mobi at all, that will be the default navigation scheme like it used to be in browsers for .com. IE and FireFox have moved away from this to general web searches when you type in a single word into the address bar, and I'm sure mobiles will follow along that path eventually as well, but for now this is right idea.

So consider me a true believer. There's a bunch of big companies on board the .mobi initiative already, there's a general awareness of the fact that this is coming, and unlike TLDs like ".info", ".biz", ".pro" or ".name", .mobi solves a real problem that people have today and will still have tomorrow, serving a real purpose, rather than just being just an unneeded alternative to .com. Though I'm sure there will be solely .mobi sites out there, to me the practical thing is that it's used as an adjunct to your regular site, encouraging mobile users and growing the industry as a whole.

Remember, no matter how powerful handsets get in the future, even if I have the equivalent of a Pentium Core Duo 4Ghz with 2GB of RAM and a Terabyte of storage sitting in the palm of my hand connected by a T1 speed 5G wireless network, the size of the screen isn't going to change much. It's an unchangeable fact that there's a certain size at which a screen and device grows past the point where it can possibly be labeled "handheld", "handset" or even "pocketable". For the forseeable future, that size will be all over the place, but I'm sure that at some point we'll start to see a general standard size emerge. We don't know yet what that optimal size and resolution will be (is VGA resolution on a 3 inch screen too much?) but the point is that interfaces will have to be designed or at least adjusted to a smaller form factor no matter what. This gives .mobi both a short term and long term selling point which I think is key.

All you trademark owners can start registering in May, and the rest of us have to wait until general registration starts on August 28th. I'll have to trademark my name or something so I can get in early. :)

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's some proof that there are .mobi sites up and running:

These are from the .mobi showcase:
http://showcase.mtld.mobi/

There are quite a few other ones. My personal favorite is dir.mobi. Intel just launched intel.mobi (although they need to fix their links, its obvious that this site isn't done yet and probably isn't the best example), and dell.mobi is supposedly coming soon. I just found PumpOne.mobi by doing a google search. It appears to be some sort of personal training site.

And then there is this directory of other .mobi sites: http://www.mobized.com/links.html

Some of these sites are redirecting, but they are works in progress IMO, seeing as this extension is still in its infancy, and people are still learning the ins and outs of mobile web development..

There are some more, but the buckeyes are playing, so I gotta run....

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well in my personal experience, i only heard about .mobi 3 weeks before landrush, yesterday made my first .mobi sale result: $5000 in my pocket! Thanks .mobi! Now hows that for an investment, 2 months = $4970 profit oh and minus the sedo fee's! We are speculators and what better speculation is there when you come up trumps in 2 months! I only need to sell one or two more for good money and i'm well into profit! So whether it's a failure in the end or not, it's lined my pockets and i'm happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom