Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Source: http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008931.html

I'll admit I've gone back and forth on my opinions of the new .mobi TLD. But I've finally made the firm decision that it's definitely a step forward for the mobile web. Sometimes I'd wonder if we really needed Yet Another Domain Name or if a new domain name would cause confusion, or if separating out addresses for the mobile web was really a good idea. But I have finally decided once and for all it's a Good Thing(TM). Here's why in a sentence:
We'll finally have a standard format for initial mobile web navigation: companyname.mobi

Nice write up and information.
What are some of the way site owners going to monetize .mobi sites, seems that on small screens there is no room for adsense or traditional website advertising.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice write up and information.
What are some of the way site owners going to monetize .mobi sites, seems that on small screens there is no room for adsense or traditional website advertising.

admob.com seems to be a popular site for mobile ads.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Debate not going anywhere. just develop what you got and lets see what happens.

victorw

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The'll find some use for a.mobi,but untill then, i think it's a poor substitute for a .com. a second chance you might say for someone suffering from a dot com crisis. Bottom line:Opera software makes browers for all extentions.

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

God exists. The proof

or - if you prefer Elvis - Elvis is alive. The proof

why is it important to prove these things? does proof really matter if you believe in God, Elvis or .mobi? just wondering...

xchanger

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between a scam and Hype..I think the fact that newbies dont understand that difference is part of the problem... If anyone thinks that the .mobi bosses do any of this for the sake of advancing mobile technology should get their brain checked.

There is no doubt that the people that came up with the idea that a new tld for cellphones is needed have their own interest in mind. I think what causes at least the mobi pricing to be outstanding right now is that fact that so many new people are trying to get into the game. I am not jealous of anyone making money, I think its a good thing that helpd the greater good.

But I think from a rational point this tld is not needed as it doesnt have a technical advantage, its good PR, no doubt, and I am not saying its not successful, but assigning values to domains in which the tlds virtually have no development yet or traffic is similar to pricing stocks at high PEs, that doesnt mean it might not worth anything, but it means if you pay 10k for some mobi, you already paid for all that potential and taking all the risk without a lot of upside perspective.

The frequent comments that this tld is "backed" by big players are meaningless,...because this tld is technically not different from any other, its just a tld, the .cc tld is "supported" as well by all those guys, is .cc successful? Its really good marketing, and it might even drive the development of the mobile web, and I hope so, but with the stock market and what most people (as least those that buy at high prices)..dont understand: there is a difference between a good company and a good stock (the analogy being that the mobile technology is a great thing, but that doesnt mean a tld that proclaims itself as a mobile tld is a good investment as well)... congrats to all the great sales, thats money that is being put back in the domainworld, so thats a good thing, I would just like say that it might be a good idea to take some of those great offers while the valueations are high.

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No-one knows what is going to happen!
These guys know more than any of us so I will wait and see http://pc.mtld.mobi/mobilenet/about_boardofdir.html
Samsung new phone called the Samsung Mobi
http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=3000&source=SIDEBARHOME
Not bad news at all. ;)
Verizon is launching the service on two new handsets, the LG VX9400 and the Samsung Mobi
Still awaiting the CES .mobi speech! HUGE show BTW!
Lets see what happens eh!

Yahoo mobile to go:
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go;_ylt=AlRaEQIlVvuGGatTujeh2A7ntAcJ
Looks like they are going with the mobile optimized site, rather than waiting for Opera to make their magic Mini software good enough!
Yahoo! Go truly brings the Internet to you. Unlike prior applications that attempt to force-feed a PC experience to your phone, Yahoo! Go has taken the Internet services you love and optimized them for the mobile experience.
Yahoo Geezer said:
"Consumers want an experience optimised for mobile," Boerries said. "No matter how good the screen gets, no matter how fast it gets ... the mobile phone is different from the PC."
http://www.techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?newsID=7728&pagtype=all

mobile.domain.com idea sucks cos no-one knows they exist unless its advertised!
Same goes with re-directs, no-one knows unless they are advertised!

What if screens for viewing normal sites get bigger?
Internet on your living room TV seems like its going to take off soon according to Bill Gates!
not bill gates said:
This year Jobs will almost certainly reveal the shipping version of a wireless device he introduced in September that will link a home computer with the living room TV, allowing people to watch shows and movies downloaded from iTunes on the TV's big screen.
Why not make normal sites bigger? What if they do?
How will Opera software that??????
You will have a tiny mobile screen displaying tones of info which takes ages to read one page!!! (Which is already the case with most sites)

No-ones waiting for Opera Mini, thats why so many companies are using the mobile.domain.com technique!
.mobi sites will work on your phone and thats all you need to know! ;)
Let the consumers know this when there are enough good sites developed.

I don't care about what the no-mobi backers have to say!
Lets have fun! You can watch me having fun if you want to? :smilewinkgrin:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
couple of tidy .mobi sales on sedo today:

livepoker.mobi - $4750
videopoker.mobi - $6500
xtc - $1554

Pred

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heres another thing to note:

http://yahoo.mobi or re-direct http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=home has 2 search results. 1 for normal sites: you may want to visit from a PDA for example, and 2 for Mobile Web Results!

Type dir for an example and you will see that dir.mobi is the number 1 spot for mobile search results. Yes you will find lots of wap.domain.com, or mobile.domain.com/pda, or domain.com/mobilesite, but what is better for advertising?

Check out my domain.com/mobilesite or domain.mobi? ;)

We'll see how it goes. I think it's quite good news personally.

Very good news for those people with keywords!

If you develop a great site it will be listed number 1 basically.

maui

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Give it up cooldomain...there are people who are going to be against this extension no matter what anyone says, and thats cool, they are entitled to their opinion, just like we are..

OK, no more arguing for the next few hours...the buckeyes are about to play

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

As a '97 Gator I can say that you got your asses handed to you...we rule, OSU sucks.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a '97 Gator I can say that you got your asses handed to you...we rule, OSU sucks.

Yeah, that was UGLY. Troy smith only completed 4 passes, then there was that stupid 4th and 1 play on the 29. Congrats to Florida and Chris Leak. He was criticized all year and in the end, he had the last laugh. Oh well...

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the question is whether .mobi makes sense from a speculator/investor standpoint and you'll see views severely unaligned :)

Hasn't this question already been answered with all the $$$-$$$,$$$ .mobi sales since the landrush? Seems like there are many people with big money who want .mobi names, they can't all have bad judgement.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a) I never said .mobi is a bad OR good investment
b) money trees exist for short period of time, get exploited by a few and the market self-corrects itself (do some reading on capitalism)
c) that's GREAT news you guys make money, let me re-iterate the more money you make and more money to go around for our industry....

if it wasn't for Rick you guys would be whining 24/7.... so give it a rest and DON'T misinterpret my posts ;)

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the new apple iphone browser shows normal sites as mini sites where the text can not be read so you have to zoom in. but mobi sites are normal. more good news? are you watching? :smilewinkgrin:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html

How is that good news? Are you serious now or just totally clueless? Any browser that support xHTML will show HTML as "small sites" and WAP content in "normal" as you claim...

i've yet to see an intelligent post about .mobi from fanboys on this thread...

Spydey

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i myself own a few mobi domains but the iphone definitely is not good news for .mobis since now users can view normal webpages on their phones with no need of visiting a .mobi domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom