Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not obsolete... an alternative to the existing TLDs.

.mobi is not magic... it is JUST a tld.

it has nothing to do with technology, contrary to what some .mobi supporters would have you believe.

thats exactly my point... we already have alternative TLDs..
..and the main argument that who are people are in favour of .mobi have is to connect (wrongfully so in my opinion as well) technology to the mobile web.., so I dont dislike mobi or anything, I just think people should look at the past too when making an investment at prices that seem unusual

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
..and the main argument that who are people are in favour of .mobi have is to connect (wrongfully so in my opinion as well) technology to the mobile web.., so I dont dislike mobi or anything, I just think people should look at the past too when making an investment at prices that seem unusual

true true.

The question i have in my mind is: will this TLD catch on?

we never needed .mobi..... but we never needed .info either.

i just think .mobi is more relevant to a seperate, thriving industry then say, .info

we'll all find out together tho. still lots of unanswered questions at this point.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

not connecting technology, but the idea of standards that will tell mobile web surfers this site is optimized and was built specifically for your mobile.

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heres a nice quote for you about monitization:

Tammy Franklin made a particularly notable comment in response to the difficulties of monetizing content, namely advertising. It was a quiet comment, but very wise: "Before we worry about monetizing, its important to grow the industry."

In other words, lets grow the available mobile content, make it compelling enough so warrant traffic from end users, then lets figure out how best to monetize it.

Couldn't agree more...

Read more at http://blog.mobi

On a lighter note, you can see pictures of the new Samgung Mobi if you like.
Please don't get offended by my post :) im not here to start a war!

Pictures at: http://uk.wireless.ign.com/articles/754/754188p1.html
CES 2007: Samsung Mobi
Samsung supports Verizon's Mobile TV service with this video-ready handset.

US, January 9, 2007 - Following the announcement of Verizon Wireless's V Cast mobile TV service, the LG VX9400 handset sucked up a lot of ink. However, there are two phones supporting the broadcast service, including Samsung's u620, which also goes by the infinitely hipper Mobi nick. The Mobi is a slider that cuts a distinctly different shape than the rotating screen on the VX9400 -- to watch video in landscape, you'll be turning the Mobi on its side when it launches this March.

The Mobi includes functionality that extends beyond the Mobile TV service. It runs regular V Cast offerings, like music and games, as well as hosts a 1.3 megapixel camera that can also take video. The phone is Bluetooth-enabled.

We tried out the Mobi with the Mobile TV service at Samsung's booth today. Via a cleanly marked TV key, we jumped straight into the channel listings and quickly surfed a variety of programming, from Fox's 24 to Comedy Central's Mind of Mencia.

Look for more information on the Mobi and other news relating to Verizon's Mobile TV service as we close in on the March release.

Originally posted by eJRB. On the other site.

From the Sedo newsletter:

A list of 58 premium .MOBI domains will be auctioned at Sedo on February 14th. This auction will feature ultra premium .MOBI domains, that are sure to sell for record-breaking prices. Some of the gems you can find music.mobi, photos.mobi, citymaps.mobi and clubs.mobi.

comp

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Alternative TLDs are not backed by over 10 giant wireless and IT firms with combined net income (note, not revenues, net income) of over 30bn per year.

.Mobi is.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
backed by over 10 giant wireless and IT firms with combined net income (note, not revenues, net income) of over 30bn per year.

I'm new to teasing .mobiites. What does "backed by" mean specifically? Did they all put up the same amount of money?

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Alternative TLDs are not backed by over 10 giant wireless and IT firms with combined net income (note, not revenues, net income) of over 30bn per year.

.Mobi is.

With all that cash and support you would expect them to make at least a little noise about .mobi :uhoh:

Dimva

High Traffic Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol at this thread..

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm new to teasing .mobiites. What does "backed by" mean specifically? Did they all put up the same amount of money?

I don't know how much they "put up", but the amount is quite considerable.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

that IS one of the million dollar questions.. and if left unanswered, time will have to tell the story.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I always thought .mobi was a good idea I always use my cell phone on the web. I wonder how to make revenue with a phone? I mean will google make a mobile asense.

How is adsense going to "fit" along with content on those small screens?

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

adsense already gets displayed to mobile users on Google network - they did pilot in Japan and will be launching in US by Q3/Q4 this year but that's not the question. The question is what does .mobi have to do with AdSense and mobile content which is viewable right now from any user visiting *any* .com/.net/.org?

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Google just recently released Mobile adwords. I would think adsense isn't too far off. Before I get flamed again, this has nothing to do with .mobi, I am just pointing out the fact that google adwords for mobile devices exist. It's sad that I have to put that disclaimer here but this thread has gotten ridiculous..

http://adwords.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=8500

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
For those who invested in .mobi's, there will always be those who take offense to anything negative or objectionable they read concerning there investment, they want to feel good about the money they spent, rather than have "doubt" lingering in there minds, so they find every way to defend it.

I personally have not invested in any .mobi's for a number of reasons, although I think its unfair to knock anyone that invested in them, it's their money, their investment, and many are right now turning a profit, no matter what's driving it, they have the money and we dont.

As for us nay sayers, Forecasting .mobi's future will always be fair game.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much they "put up", but the amount is quite considerable.
Like samsung who will have some of their new phones preloaded with yahoo mobile web content - feed off a traditional tld?

Business lesson 101 - never depend on the actions of another company to help you make money.

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The 2nd highest .mobi sale was just completed for $XXX,XXX. Ron Jackson will have more details on DNJournal.com next Tuesday. Stay tuned..

Like to hear what the nay sayers make of this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators