Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't flame all of us just because you're arguing with one of us. If you read my comment above I said that neither side knows whats going to happen, which is the truth and not a "clueless" comment. Call me a "fanboy" if you want, all I've done is state my opinions on the subject, and I don't feel that I deserved be trashed for that.

I totally respect your view and post above, I didn't attack you personally read between the lines ;)

from wikipedia: "Fanboy or Fanboi is a term used to describe someone who is utterly devoted to a single subject or hobby, often to the point where it is considered an obsession."

I think if you go back to the first post of the thread it will become immediately apparent who the .mobi fanboys are

Domain Summit 2024

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol, I think I forgot what the original subject of this thread was...

Oh yeah, cooldomain..

Please keep our names separate from each other in this discussion :)

Time to go, HBO is replaying the first season of Rome. Have a good one guys...

<ad removed>
Seanboy

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

DaveZilla

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just a question for the pro-mobi investor/supporters -

How many of you have an internet ready phone?

How many of you have actually used your phone to find needed information from the mobile web while out or away from a pc?

How many of you have a site you frequent on the mobile web?

Most importantly, how many of you like using the web from your phone?

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Me, in Japan, to access internet while traveling on the train and around town. helps me find the fastest and quickest way using the trains, check my hotmail, check the weather, check the world news, Japanese/English translator (so i dont have to carry a dictionary), a conversion site, read magazines, check the sports, check my online auctions, check how much i spend on phone calls from my cell phone, check my bank account, and more.

How many of you have actually used your phone to find needed information from the mobile web while out or away from a pc?
I have so many times

I have:
all can be found on my personal mobile website.

Honesly, i dont like it. but it usually takes an hour to go home by train. And since we dont use cars that much in Tokyo, we have idle hands.

But this isnt about .mobi, its about accessing mobile websites in "any" extension.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

[/

Q: How many of you have an internet ready phone?

A: I own a T-Mobile Dash now. Previously, a Blackberry for 3 years.

Q: How many of you have actually used your phone to find needed information from the mobile web while out or away from a pc?

A: Constantly, while in airports, restaurants/bars, in my parked car, while riding as a passenger, waiting in the mall while my girlfriend shops, waiting for appointments, etc. etc.

Q: Most importantly, how many of you like using the web from your phone?
A: I love surfing the Web with my Dash. It's the ultimate leisure/business tool. I check business/personal email, look at sports highlights on ESPN, read CNN, Fox, etc. I've made several purchases via the Mobile Web while on the go, I've retrieved restaurant menus, addresses, hotels.

I've noticed that people who often hate the MobileWeb either have never used it (ignorant) or they tried surfing with a really shitty smartphone.

I'm in my early 30's residing in an urban area. However, I do notice that two demographics are distinctly anti-MobileWeb:

1.)Most over the age of 55 (super intelligent guys) look at my Dash like its kryptonite (they squint & act very clumsy/confused while shaking their head).

2.) People in rural regions. These people are not on the move. Typically, they are sedentary at home on their PC (sadly without DSL). So, BlackBerries, Dashes and other Mobile Web devices are so far removed from their existence. They look bewildered and say things like, "Son, where did you get that space junk from?"

Michael

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of good points here...but I think people are still confusing the success of the mobile technology with the success of a TLD..., if a technolgy would be the the factor then .tv and .ws (website) would be successful..

...which really only leaves one reason for its current sucess, which is marketing.., and a well marketed product can be successful for an extended period of time, even if its garbarge..., and the best thing the mobi PR firm did is did exactly what people are confusing..they are trying to say mobile technology is .mobi..which is certainly not the case..,

...and I agree with Biggedon here .mobi COULD be like Enron stock..if you have the chance to sell a so-so domain for $$$$..take the money..there is not a whole lot of potential left..

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow.

I love the 'iphone is great for .mobi' posts - has anyone read the text from apple?

"Look at the Web browser, a modified version of Safari that displays actual Web pages, not a teensy crunched-down version of the Web"

Apple doesnt like 'lite' web, basically saying they want a proper web experiance not .mobi style.

The worrying thing for .mobi is that this is version 1 of the iphone, and 'a few years' is often quoted for .mobi take up. Where will this technology be in the future if this is what we can get now.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Value is all relative and you know perception is reality, in the long run the only domains with staying power are always gonna be .com, .mobi is a very bright flash in the pan, which will go out soon.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love all these definite statements..

None of you people can tell the future. Not .mobi supporters or .mobi naysayers.... so keep trying.

I will stick with SPECULATION.

-

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of good points here...but I think people are still confusing the success of the mobile technology with the success of a TLD..., if a technolgy would be the the factor then .tv and .ws (website) would be successful..

...which really only leaves one reason for its current sucess, which is marketing.., and a well marketed product can be successful for an extended period of time, even if its garbarge..., and the best thing the mobi PR firm did is did exactly what people are confusing..they are trying to say mobile technology is .mobi..which is certainly not the case..,

...and I agree with Biggedon here .mobi COULD be like Enron stock..if you have the chance to sell a so-so domain for $$$$..take the money..there is not a whole lot of potential left..

Not much the mobiites can say to this. :eek:

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can't we all just get along? :)

Honestly, I really hope that those of us who own .mobi domains decide to develop a few of them. IMO, you're not helping the cause if you don't develop. The guys on the other side of this issues have some valid points, and I believe the only way to maybe prove them wrong is to develop. Make a nice site about, hell, anything, I don't care, just make something. The mobile web is going to come, and I see .mobi having some role it it. I really do find it hard to call the extention dead when its only been around for a little over 3 months. Now whether or not its the "second coming" like some people may think is yet to be seen, but I do think that there will be at least a few popular sites using the .mobi extension. I'm sure it can co-exist with everything else out there. If I'm wrong, oh well, I didn't invest thousands in this extension. Most of my portfolio is made of of .coms, .nets, etc..(My real regret is the few crappy .biz names that I have, oh well, you live and learn :))

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very few, possibly no one, will make any money developing .mobi websites. The problem is very little if any traffic. You have to pay for the traffic. If I'm going to pay to promote a website, it will be a .com that I think will be the next youtube.com.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very few, possibly no one, will make any money developing .mobi websites.

flawed logic. that arguement could have been used back when the internet started..

what was the traffic for .com like back in 1992, i bet it was just great and all the domain speculators were seen as true visionaries--in their own mind that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom