Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.mobi - the sound of inevitability Mr. Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

levanle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL, just got offered low $xxxx US, for newsdaily.mobi WHO HOO WHOO HOOOOO thats the 2nd offer this week for two of my .mobis..

I dont know about someo of you who would even sell it in mid xxx, not me, this name will not sell for less than mid $xx xxx. thats my goal...! either way im locked for 2 years...!

well it seems with great exposure on dnjournal... the offers and submission are coming in! for my RandomMobi site

I would keep it too. It's worth a lot more than that. Reading news will be the most frequent activity on cell phones.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would come to the exact opposite conclusion. My experience with parked pages is that the least experienced internet user is the one most likely to click through.

And that plays into the master scheme I suspect...

Who are the users being trained right now to expect and use a different interent?

Certainly not US. We 30+ year olds are not the market.

Try this, challenge any middle schooler or high schooler to a "Text Off". See who can type and send a text message off a phone faster. You? I think not.

Cells outnumber desktops 4 to 1 for many reasons... the least of which is simply the fact that tomorrows mobile internet users ALREADY has their phones and is being trained by it, the manufacurers and the service providers to use them in a way that is consistant with the new Mobile Internet.

Not to say that these kids and young adults are "less expereienced" internet users but rather that they are more likely to expect sites and pages that are virtually indiscernable from parking pages that appear on a mobile.

GoPC.mobi, for instance, is a simple parking page for now... I've received nearly 70 uniques and clicks there this month. It's text driven and while a bit more text heavy than a properly designed mobi site, it's pretty much the same.

No "hover over" links to announce that it's a paid link or an affiliate link... just a simple line of text, relevant to the surfer, that is already highlighted when it becomes visible in the browser... all that is needed now is for the surfer to press OK and BAM... I get paid.

So, from a PPC standpoint, experience has nothing to do with parking sites (or non-parked sites)... as long as they play well on the mobile, a surfer that finds it is MORE LIKELY to click something.

Why? Because unlike a desktop and having all the time in the worlds to cruise the dot commons... a mobi user is looking for something specific and wants to find it quickly and execute it quickly.

Let's face it, the way things are going with the Mobile Internet... the younger generation, those we would call "less experienced users" are in actuality MUCH more experienced in using the mobile web then we older, traditional dot common surfers are.

It is THIS REASON that we have such a hard time understanding how .mobi is possible.

And why the next generation of mobile Internet users will accept it and use it with little or no resistance.

Take a look at the youth. Ask a few questions. You'll see... the market is there and they are ready for it.

GoPC

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks gopc. good post. i agree on the points you make. do you know....
which of the parking programmes is offering the best, most mobile friendly .mobi parking pages?
also how do you go about building a really simple .mobi site?
is there any sites to instruct a basic one yet?
sorry for all the questions. cheers, Pred
:laugh:

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In recent days I've come across this line of argument on many occassions. However, if one accepts this type of role for sub-domains then there was NO need but for just ONE extension.....lets give it a neutral designation such as .tld. So, commercial sites could be sub-domained as Example.tld/com, non-profit organizations as example.tld/org and the countries could have their example.tld/us, example.tld/uk and so on. For each root name/term there'd be several multiples like loans.tld/com, loans.tld/org, loans.tld/us and so forth...This is not, however, it has worked out so far...so why such suggestions just now when .mobi came along?
It wasn't a suggestion, but just an honest question. If mobile users get used to the .mobi extension, what's to stop them from learning they could access any site/keyword domain by adding /mobi on as a sub and know they would get the site in a format best fit for their device? My question isn't directed toward questioning extensions in general, but in the case of .mobi it seems that the key is the design of the page to fit the device.

Again, on the other end, wouldn't it just be easier to have the site recognize the device and display the mobile design? I do understand that the players who have a piece of this would like to restrict the mobile market to .mobi, but that reminds me of Apples early failure in trying to keep ahold of their own proprietary software. Don't think that will work.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a suggestion, but just an honest question. If mobile users get used to the .mobi extension, what's to stop them from learning they could access any site/keyword domain by adding /mobi on as a sub and know they would get the site in a format best fit for their device? My question isn't directed toward questioning extensions in general, but in the case of .mobi it seems that the key is the design of the page to fit the device.

Again, on the other end, wouldn't it just be easier to have the site recognize the device and display the mobile design? I do understand that the players who have a piece of this would like to restrict the mobile market to .mobi, but that reminds me of Apples early failure in trying to keep ahold of their own proprietary software. Don't think that will work.

well there are currently a lot of sites out there that do cater to the mobile surfer, problem is most use a different address path to get there...

wap.xxxxx.com
xxxx.com/mobile
mobile.xxx.com
etc.

so in this sense if all sites and developers came to a concensus on which to use and then implemented it, that might work. .mobi looks to standardize it - meaning surfers who surf the mobile web will know that if they visit a .mobi they know what they will be getting, visiting the others will be hit or miss.

as to the issue with sites recognizing a mobile visitor and displaying the site accordingly, is more of a matter of development .. it can be done i believe, but what information should stay and what should go? the idea behind .mobi is that the sites will deliver quick, concise and pertinent info - info designed for the small screen.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks gopc. good post. i agree on the points you make. do you know....
which of the parking programmes is offering the best, most mobile friendly .mobi parking pages?
also how do you go about building a really simple .mobi site?
is there any sites to instruct a basic one yet?
sorry for all the questions. cheers, Pred
:laugh:

So far, with what research I've done, SEDO has their "Lite" page that they have been working to optimize for mobi... while they still have a bit more work to do, they are AWARE and have got most of the work done.

So if you are going to park a .mobi for mobile use, I highly recommend a Sedo Lite page. Example: GoPC.mobi

As for .mobi Designs... there are a few companies scrambling to create user friendly mobi pages while others are trying to create a mobi design software.

I've also started on that path... MobiDesigns.mobi & MobiBB.com are both sites I'm building to prepare and present .mobi templates for less than $30 that are pre-built, compliant and optimized for .mobi use along with upgraded development services as well.

MobiBB.com is going to be a free exchange of mobi design concepts and discussion. A co-op if you will, for mobi development.

So at those sites get up and running, they should be tremendous resources for you and others to find the answers to those .mobi questions.

There is a structure and basic instructions and template available at the main mobi site under their "Switch On!" guide located here:

http://pc.mtld.mobi/mobilenet/dotmobi_guides.html

After reading through their compliance agreement and their design tutorial, you will find that very few mobi sites currently up are truly compliant. Even some of the .mobi sites of the investors themselves :)

I hope that helps...

GoPC

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks GoPc, you are a vast wealth of information young man! :caked:
Much appreciated. At sedo at mo, but actually want to develop a few .mobis, simply to get ball rolling. wil check out tips. Look forward to visiting your sites, they sound a great idea. Either announce on a thread when up & running or pm me please. Cheers dude, Pred
:rapture:

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well there are currently a lot of sites out there that do cater to the mobile surfer, problem is most use a different address path to get there...

wap.xxxxx.com
xxxx.com/mobile
mobile.xxx.com
etc.

so in this sense if all sites and developers came to a concensus on which to use and then implemented it, that might work. .mobi looks to standardize it - meaning surfers who surf the mobile web will know that if they visit a .mobi they know what they will be getting, visiting the others will be hit or miss.

as to the issue with sites recognizing a mobile visitor and displaying the site accordingly, is more of a matter of development .. it can be done i believe, but what information should stay and what should go? the idea behind .mobi is that the sites will deliver quick, concise and pertinent info - info designed for the small screen.
Good examples. Very good explanation.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks GoPc, you are a vast wealth of information young man! :caked:
Much appreciated. At sedo at mo, but actually want to develop a few .mobis, simply to get ball rolling. wil check out tips. Look forward to visiting your sites, they sound a great idea. Either announce on a thread when up & running or pm me please. Cheers dude, Pred
:rapture:

Still trying to decide if you are being sarcastic or not... hmmm....

I'm nearing my goal of 12 .mobi templates and the site development. I should be in a position to lauch here soon. I'll be sure to let you know.

Is 40 young? YAY!!! :whoo:

GoPC

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

wap.xxxxx.com
xxxx.com/mobile
mobile.xxx.com
etc.

Of course those were up before there was a .mobi. Now that developers know about the extension, and the public will come to know about it, I can see most all going to /mobi. Very simple, and with just a little promotion on the home page, the mobile surfers can come to realize that to get the completely compliant version of their favorite site/pages all they have to do is ad /mobi.
Selecting the information to present on the /mobi optimized page should be no different than selecting the information that goes on a .mobi page. The problem I see is that the current websites can go after the new market by just adding /mobi pages while the limited mini .mobi sites are NOT going to appeal to the regular pc crowd. I guess I'd rather have Cars.com/mobi pages and compete with Cars.mobi rather than the other way around. The lead time and recognition of the existing site is going to be much faster than launching a new site under.mobi

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I'm nearing my goal of 12 .mobi templates and the site development. I should be in a position to lauch here soon. I'll be sure to let you know.

GoPC

lol

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi GOpC,
wasn't being sarcastic, just cos i'm a Brit doesn't mean we're taking piss all the time!
seriously think you're posting some good stuff at mo, especially on this new extension. okay, just this extension! LOL
Please do pm me tho when you are finished on your templates etc, as want to knock up a couple of sites myself. Think there will be a lack of good sites in these early days & good to have a site 'early doors'!
Didn't know your age. I'm 34, so yes, 40 is young!
cheers, Pred

GoPC

WEBecri

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am really enjoying your master classes GoPC!!! I totally agree with your points.

Succes story:

I invested about 10000 euro's in .mobi. I made pre-registrations at 16 registrars already back in May and June. Now I own a portfolio of almost 60 very valuable names.

I already sold 4 dotmobi's!

These were all Dutch names. For example the dutch translation of scores.mobi. My turnover is now almost 5000 euro's.

I submitted GAMBLE.mobi in the TRAFFIC auction for the minimum offer of US$ 5,340 (=Moniker's appraisal result). I am convinced that I will sell this domain next week for this minimum price or more.

If so, I have a return on investment in two weeks after the landrush started and I will sit back and wait until my children go to college from the profit I earn on my other 54 dotMOBI's!

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well done. you've got balls pumping that much dough in & you deserve success as a result. he who dares rodders!! (only Brits will get that but hey!)
congrats.
Pred :horn:

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi GOpC,
wasn't being sarcastic, just cos i'm a Brit doesn't mean we're taking piss all the time!

Didn't think you were my friend... just being funny.

I though you were about my age.

Something just hit me... :brick:

Why didn't they name the new ext .gopc ???

;)

GoPC

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am really enjoying your master classes GoPC!!! I totally agree with your points.

Succes story:

I invested about 10000 euro's in .mobi. I made pre-registrations at 16 registrars already back in May and June. Now I own a portfolio of almost 60 very valuable names.

These were all Dutch names. For example the dutch translation of scores.mobi. My turnover is now almost 5000 euro's.

I submitted GAMBLE.mobi in the TRAFFIC auction for the minimum offer of US$ 5,340 (=Moniker's appraisal result). I am convinced that I will sell this domain next week for this minimum price or more.

If so, I have a return on investment in two weeks after the landrush started and I will sit back and wait until my children go to college from the profit I earn on my other 54 dotMOBI's!

Well done again, good reserve on Gamble, I pretty much guarantee you will sell it at much more than that!

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Succes story:

I think it's great that you've been able to make nice profit off the first 5 names. I also think you will do even better than you plan on Gamble.mobi. But what scares me is the plan for the other 55 domains. Don't you all get a little concerned with thinking like this? Aren't most of you old enough to have heard it before? That moment in time where everyone starts slapping each other on the back in congratulations just a little too early? Maybe even old enough to have done this before? I sure hope when you talk about the kids going to college you mean in one year and not ten years.

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it's great that you've been able to make nice profit off the first 5 names. I also think you will do even better than you plan on Gamble.mobi. But what scares me is the plan for the other 55 domains. Don't you all get a little concerned with thinking like this? Aren't most of you old enough to have heard it before? That moment in time where everyone starts slapping each other on the back in congratulations just a little too early? Maybe even old enough to have done this before? I sure hope when you talk about the kids going to college you mean in one year and not ten years.

A little bitter are we?

Congrats all the way to WEBecri. Who are you to tell him he's wrong?

How much have you invested in .mobi? How much have you made on .mobi?

How much have you invested in .com and how much have you made on .com?

I think we all know the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators