Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.mobi - the sound of inevitability Mr. Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

xTOPSECRETx

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
LOL, just got offered low $xxxx US, for newsdaily.mobi WHO HOO WHOO HOOOOO thats the 2nd offer this week for two of my .mobis..

I dont know about someo of you who would even sell it in mid xxx, not me, this name will not sell for less than mid $xx xxx. thats my goal...! either way im locked for 2 years...!

well it seems with great exposure on dnjournal... the offers and submission are coming in! for my RandomMobi site

xTOPSECRETx

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
im already looking at profit, and expenses covered if i accept offer. WHICH IM NOT lol.... for all my registrations 10+ names

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Question: Who's to say that a company won't come out with a handheld device that can read any website like a normal computer would and navigate through it well enough to be reasonable to work with?

As a point of interest, such devices DO exist... the 2006 marketplace saw the release of the Ultra Mobile Personal Computer segment running small tablet like portable PCs running full Windows XP Programming and OS. While the screens are much larger than PDAs and cell phones, they are still quite small compared to a desktop but even so... they can process and display full deskopt website content including all the flash, database and dynamicly driven content you could possibly want.

Absolutely NO need for a .mobi there.

However, these devices are cumbersome, expensive (start at around $1000) and much less commonplace at that market would lead you to believe.

The fact remains, even despite the new technologies available, the number of cell phones outnumber Personal Computers over 4 to 1 and most industry experts do not see that changing for the forseeable future... ie 5 years or more.

So, while one might argue that .mobi could be overcome by a technological advancement allowing full pc capabilities in the palm of your hand, I think that the time in the marketplace before such a thing happens gives .mobi not only the time it needs to build a niche, but the time it needs to DOMINATE the niche and force future technologies to accomodate .mobi rather than the other way around.

Everyone... I mean EVERYONE knows the the future of the Internet and for Personal Computing as a whole is MOBILE COMPUTING. Go Anywhere PC devices... call them cell phones, pda's, pocket pc's yes... even GoPC

Personal Mobile Computing IS the future of both hardware and cotent.

.mobi is just the latest, logical step into that new future.

And I, for one, am VERY happy to see it and embrace it. Of course, that would be true for whatever extension was associated to it.

Best,

GoPC

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a point of interest, such devices DO exist... the 2006 marketplace saw the release of the Ultra Mobile Personal Computer segment running small tablet like portable PCs running full Windows XP Programming and OS. While the screens are much larger than PDAs and cell phones, they are still quite small compared to a desktop but even so... they can process and display full deskopt website content including all the flash, database and dynamicly driven content you could possibly want.

Absolutely NO need for a .mobi there.

However, these devices are cumbersome, expensive (start at around $1000) and much less commonplace at that market would lead you to believe.

And that's not going to ever change? One could have said that about laptops when they first came out, and it didn't take long for them to get commonplace. Considering tech moves much faster these days, we really have no idea how soon a reasonable solution will present itself, ESPECIALLY considering how many more mobile phones there are compared to desktop computers. I'm surprised Verisign hasn't started it's own tech team to do it in efforts to preserve .com as king. :)

Anyhow, that's not to say that .mobi can't become successful enough in time for those advances, but they're racing against time in that case, as companies would certainly rather not have to remake their sites for mobile internet if they don't have to. Also, it's not as if mobile internet as it is now is all that great. I remember at DomainFest when the presenter from Revenue.net was showing an Adsense ad for a WAP site...they pretty much get in the way such that you have to scroll down past them to get to what you were doing. It seemed to me more of a pain in the butt for visitors than a service. There's also no Flash, and some other things that don't work right yet either.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but when I go online on my phone, I check email and sports scores, and that's about it. Those are about the only things I'm willing to take 20 times longer than on desktop internet to do when I'm without desktop or laptop. I hope for .mobi's sake, people figure out how to make WAP sites more user-friendly and faster.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL, just got offered low $xxxx US, for newsdaily.mobi WHO HOO WHOO HOOOOO thats the 2nd offer this week for two of my .mobis..

I dont know about someo of you who would even sell it in mid xxx, not me, this name will not sell for less than mid $xx xxx. thats my goal...! either way im locked for 2 years...!

well it seems with great exposure on dnjournal... the offers and submission are coming in! for my RandomMobi site

If you are being honest, good for you. I don't understand why you wouldn't expect that amazing offer, if indeed its real, but of course you do can whatever you wish with your domains.

However, who remembers the ChromeGuard.com thread? I have a feeling many of these "sales" people report are to make themself feel better and or help the market for their domains.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are being honest........if indeed its real..............I have a feeling many of these "sales" people report are to make themself feel better and or help the market for their domains.
Having different opinions and even heated discussions and arguments over issues is all what forums are about....but implying that others are lying is a totally different ballgame....I'd hate to see this disintegerate to that extent. Sad.

BTW, GT I thought you'd decided to leave this thread alone...at least thats what you'd just announced in your post prior to this one?...:-#

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here here. I agree Dry Heat.
If you're going to make insulting accusations (unfounded & immature) , go & retire to your control panel, out of harm's way!
Pred :crutch:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Having different opinions and even heated discussions and arguments over issues is all what forums are about....but implying that others are lying is a totally different ballgame....I'd hate to see this disintegerate to that extent. Sad.

BTW, GT I thought you'd decided to leave this thread alone...at least thats what you'd just announced in your post prior to this one?...:-#

Stop being a jerk and putting words in my mouth. I never said he was lying, I said I wasn't convinced the offer he posted was accurate. Fake sales and offers occur in this business much more often than many people want to believe.

Maybe you guys are more stupid than I origionally thought. I'm done with this joke of a thread and this joke of an extension.

:deadhorse:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:yo:

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't bot a single .mobi as I haven't got it figured out yet. One of my partners even has some of the first developed sites, and I have great respect for my friends and others from the above posts that I have done countless transactions with. That said, can somebody explain to me why a simple sub on a .com or .us domain wouldn't work as well if done in the mobile format, and save me a lot of money on multiple names?

For example, wouldn't concerttickets.com/mobi work as well as concerttickets.mobi? Also wouldn't it seem logical that future sites would recognize a visit by a mobile device and display the appropriate design?

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't bot a single .mobi as I haven't got it figured out yet. One of my partners even has some of the first developed sites, and I have great respect for my friends and others from the above posts that I have done countless transactions with. That said, can somebody explain to me why a simple sub on a .com or .us domain wouldn't work as well if done in the mobile format, and save me a lot of money on multiple names?

For example, wouldn't concerttickets.com/mobi work as well as concerttickets.mobi? Also wouldn't it seem logical that future sites would recognize a visit by a mobile device and display the appropriate design?

MAY BE.....may be.....possible......possible :sleep:

I guess most people are not worried about the formats etc....they just wanted to own a pice of this cool extension considering billions of mobile devices out there plus all the mega backers of mobi out there.

In addition don't forget the power of future mobi parking :whoo:

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wouldn't concerttickets.com/mobi work as well as concerttickets.mobi?
In recent days I've come across this line of argument on many occassions. However, if one accepts this type of role for sub-domains then there was NO need but for just ONE extension.....lets give it a neutral designation such as .tld. So, commercial sites could be sub-domained as Example.tld/com, non-profit organizations as example.tld/org and the countries could have their example.tld/us, example.tld/uk and so on. For each root name/term there'd be several multiples like loans.tld/com, loans.tld/org, loans.tld/us and so forth...This is not, however, it has worked out so far...so why such suggestions just now when .mobi came along?

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SNIP - For example, wouldn't concerttickets.com/mobi work as well as concerttickets.mobi? Also wouldn't it seem logical that future sites would recognize a visit by a mobile device and display the appropriate design? - SNIP

That is really the point of discussion. :)

While some that that it is or that it will be possible to simply have a page optimized for a mobile device tucked away on your current dot common, the question is:

Does your VISITOR know that?

Will he/she know to go to gopc.com/mobi and find a page that actually works on their portable? Or will I, as the domain owner, have to build a mobi compatible home page (that shows well on a mobile but looks like crap on a desktop) for the visitor to choose their platform?

Or....

Is it just as easy to drop some ching, but the mobi ext and simply point it to my dot common domain page that is optimized for mobiles?

Remember, the big marketing push for these huge corporations vested in mobi is the fact that ".mobi means it will work on your portable". That is, .mobi domains are and will be marketed specifically for mobile users with the notion that if you are mobile, you use .mobi, if you are not, use the dot commons.

Also, considering the fact that these vested interests control not only the ext, but the devices, the manufacturing, the software, the integrated browsers, the content provision, the searching, the content results and the contenct servers in many cases.... Many have concluded that due to the diffuculty typing domains and whatnot into a mobile may result in a forced DEFAULT ext of .mobi

I think (there's that speculation word again) that it will go deeper than that. I think these companies have build mobi to also be a limitless advertising platform for themselves. Default ext, sure, makes sense... but what about preselling default searches, preprogrammed quick keys, softkeys and catagorical landers? All of these reserved for .mobi customers and pages.

It's the natural progression of the mobile internet... just as contextual advertising is for the desktop Internet. The founders/investors of .mobi have a vested interest in ensuring that .mobi is successful in order to build a PPC/advertising platform that, like the mobile internet itself, is on a contained platform exclusive to them.

As for making a script to convert regular pages to mobiles... sure, that makes sense. But also remember... the Mobile Internet was NEVER designed to be the SAME as the desktop internet.

I don't think the goal is to bring the 'net to the phones... but rather bring phones to the net through a controlled interface that is .MOBI.

Thus the agreements to maintain a standardized .mobi design spec or the threat of loosing your domain.

The writing is on the wall. Those that are trying to compare it to and define it by the current desktop internet are not going to "get it". Those that see it as the formation of a NEW internet, a MOBILE internet, that accesses part of, that lives independantly of the desktop internet... DO get it.

And if, no.. WHEN the other shoe drops and the general public discovers that .mobi actually IS the mobile internet and that compliant .mobi domain are given preference if not exclusivity to that mobile internet, THEN you will see the true power and value of the new extension they have created.

Length of words, phrases and domains wont matter. Most of them will be presented to the user directly off of the .mobi database, catagorized by Google and presented through the participating cellular networks such as Vodaphone, T-Moble, Telefonica on phones preprogrammed by Nokia, Ericsson, Sansung with content provision by Microsoft and more.

Just look at the structure... It's all there. My cell has a QWERT keyboard IF... I say IF domains are to be typed in... but I think it'll be more convenient than that... point and click is the future of the mobi, Just like an automated phone menu, only for visual data.

If you want this, press 1, if you want that, press 2... and so on.

We're ALREADY programmed to work that way on a phone. :)

The standards for .mobi state that links should have numberical shortcuts for them.

It's all in place. The stage has been set...

Mobi, as I say, is the sound of Inevitability.

GoPC.mobi

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest difference betweeen, domain.com/mobi and domain.mobi is the latter will be subject to scrutnity, in that the .mobi domain WILL definitely be in the required format to be viewed properly on mobile device.

Enough can't be said about standardization. Everyone hates Microsoft, but if the truth be known, we wouldn't have gotten as far as we did if we had a bunch of software programs that wouldn't talk to each other.

It'll be interesting if they (dot .mobi) will enforce compliance on .mobi owners. I hope so, as I think it's probably the greatest selling point of owning a dot mobi domain.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I concede it is a very good point about .mobi domains being optimized for mobile devices. I hadn't really thought about that part and it does change my thinking somewhat.
However, there is a long path to be traveled in turning that from a potential asset to a real asset. There is a lot of consumer education that will need to be done. I think all new extensions have a very high risk of "death by speculation". Meaning that consumers grow weary of going to an extension only to find parked pages and "coming soon" signs. My analogy is how long would you keep trying to shop at an empty shopping mall? .Mobi may be particularly susceptible to this because any forward progress on the consumer education side may be set back by the undeveloped sites that are the result of domain speculators.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think all new extensions have a very high risk of "death by speculation". Meaning that consumers grow weary of going to an extension only to find parked pages and "coming soon" signs. My analogy is how long would you keep trying to shop at an empty shopping mall? .Mobi may be particularly susceptible to this because any forward progress on the consumer education side may be set back by the undeveloped sites that are the result of domain speculators.
Once again, as GoPC pointed out above, as long as we keep on viewing .mobi landscape thru the glasses of PC-based Internet we'd never "get it". Here in regards to this specific issue, the content on .mobi sites and mobile surfer's expectations would be vastly different from the experience one expects from the PC-based web surfing, where more and more the expectation is that of on-demand, richer than life, multi-media experience that combines the features of radio, TV, theater, newspaper, library, classroom and office all in one....most mobile surfers would be primarily interested in getting to the point, no-frills, info that they need at a given moment. Given that, the likelihood is that unlike PC-based Internet a mobile surfer would be far less likely to get irritated upon getting a "parked" page that has relevant links and ads. Moreover, we'd also find out pretty soon that developing .mobi sites is much simpler and quicker than the PC-based sites....so relatively far less chances of getting error pages or "coming soon" signs....how do I know? I just tried it myself: http://SydneyHotels.mobi http://VegasHotels.mobi http://AtlantaHotels.mobi and some others....not done yet and needing more work but definitely nothing iike one needs to get a PC-based site get going....and I'm sure there'd be plentiful automated development tools in a short order making the job even quicker and simpler.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here in regards to this specific issue, the content on .mobi sites and mobile surfer's expectations would be vastly different from the experience one expects from the PC-based web surfing, where more and more the expectation is that of on-demand, richer than life, multi-media experience that combines the features of radio, TV, theater, newspaper, library, classroom and office all in one....most mobile surfers would be primarily interested in getting to the point, no-frills, info that they need at a given moment. Given that, the likelihood is that unlike PC-based Internet a mobile surfer would be far less likely to get irritated upon getting a "parked" page that has relevant links and ads.

Interesting, I would come to the exact opposite conclusion. My experience with parked pages is that the least experienced internet user is the one most likely to click through.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would come to the exact opposite conclusion. My experience with parked pages is that the least experienced internet user is the one most likely to click through.
Yes, because this experience comes from the PC-based Internet. My main point was that the difference between a "parked" page and a "fully developed" site on PC-based Internet is very pronounced whereas it'd be not so striking on the mobile web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom