Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.mobi - the sound of inevitability Mr. Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

xTOPSECRETx

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Look what i Just found on Afternic, Feature Listing

22732255.mobi

LOL

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At best, this statement reflects gross misperception of the facts, and at it's worst, a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth. The reality is that it was not .mobi investors who started bragging that they're the ones who are "enlightened" and those who are not investing are not...in fact, its been exactly the opposite. The ones who apparently had thought that it was wise to stay away from .mobi could not keep their distance upon seeing all these threads that started mushrooming across various forums filled with excitement and energy. So they jumped in and began harping up and down making statements to the effect that .mobi and those who're investing in it are suckers and losers. It has been actually quite amazing, and in fact commented about, that how these folks would keep barging in on threads which by definition should be of no interest to them....to do what: just bad mouth this new extension and predict doom and gloom for its investors. Sad indeed.

Eh, you misread what I put. I was in no way saying that all people that are heavily into .mobi are talking down to people that aren't. I was saying it irks me when it happens, because those same people will get offended when those .com-is-all-that-matters people come around and trash them. Again, my opinion is that we're all out to make money and there's plenty of different markets to do it in, so why not just get along and make our money?! I for one am interested to see how .mobi pans out, whether or not I buy any .mobi names, and as such, while I personally won't invest in .mobi names, would not talk down to someone that does.

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
although one could reasonably argue that this ratio (of "valuable" names to the total regs) would be much better in .mobi than the older extensions...simply because its still in its infancy with many good names still unregged, whereas in .com with over 58M registrations, one can't even imagine finding a 3-word half-decent name available at reg fee.

Thank You for sharing that with us DryHeat!

That's true any time any extension comes out. .mobi however withheld thousands of names including most of the best 1-word names and will be auctioning them off, essentially killing a lot of the names to rush out to get. With an international release of a ccTLD on the other hand (the recent .im for instance), you can get a name like poker.ext for reg fees and turn around and sell it for $1,000+ in 5 minutes if you wanted to. Not nearly as many quick flip opportunities yielding that kind of ROI in .mobi thanks to those auctions.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi however withheld thousands of names including most of the best 1-word names and will be auctioning them off, essentially killing a lot of the names to rush out to get.
At first blush, it does seem quite a significant drawback that the registry withheld close to 6000 (mostly) premium names from the landrush...but from what I've seen so far, it'd seem that .mobi folks have probably their act together much more than any of the other new registries so far...I mean they have handled both the sunrise and landrush phases very very well...almost no noise about any blatant abuses like others in the recent (.eu) and distant (.info) past. Then, with their recent announcement of teaming up with the Traffic conference folks to auction off just 10 of the reserved names also seem quite well planned. If they continue to create periodic buzz with intermittent auctions like these coupled with genuine push by their investors/backers like MS, Nokia, Google, etc....I could see these auctions attracting more and more attention and higher and higher bids over time. In the long run, therefore, this all can bode very well for those who have invested in this extension....and BTW, there was plenty of good stuff to go around despite these 6K names being out of this initial circulation.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .mobi is a particularly bad extension and worthy of criticism. Certainly there will be some high dollar sales during the speculation period but that proves nothing about the worth of the extension.

I say it's particularly bad because it's not intuitive, it's 4 characters and it can be spelled several different ways. All things being equal, .net should probably be the best extension except that it started out at a huge disadvantage to .com. It's intuitive, its a word and there is only one spelling. A .web extension could have been just as good. COM was very fortunate to be the first extension widely used. Because it comes so late in the game, I think that 90% of the internet using public will never know that .mobi exists, 99% will never use it. What would cause me to go to ringtones.mobi instead of ringtones.com? Branding? Then you might as well have spent money branding getringtoneshere.com. It would be a lot cheaper than trying to brand an entire extension in addition to a name. Branding a whole new extension is going to require the efforts of a large community...and there is no guarantee that is going to happen. It would be much less risky to spend your advertising dollars branding a name within an already accepted extension. If it were our money, who among us would honestly pin the future of a large business endeavor on the hopes that .mobi will catch on as a well known extension?

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right now we don't have any solid evidence either way, so our thoughts is all we have.

Anyways, I guess I'll leave this thread now. Its obvious some of you know hate me for my views and the way I expressed them and some of you totally agree with me.

I didn't join this forum to make friends, I joined it to make business partnerships and sales and to learn as much about this industry as possible...and in that sense I succeeded.

I appologize to anyone who was offended about my age comments or my comments about the type of domainers who invested in .mobi. At the end of the day we are all in the same industry trying to accomplish the same thing, so shouting insults back and forth does nothing but waste time and make us all look like idiots.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those 6 letters say it all...rest of the post is just fluff around it....

Perhaps you would like it better if I didn't qualify my statements? I THINK that would make me a fool since we have such little empirical evidence to go on at this point. I will leave that role to others who must feel that they KNOW something I don't.

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I have now said about 15 times: premium .mobi names (probably the top 2% of all .mobi names registered) are and will continue to be vary valuable. The rest are not.

..and the %age is probably around the same for all extensions...give or take!

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

22732255.mobi

LOL

= BaseBall in numbers on the phone keypad!

Hope they get plenty for it as I own 22732255.com!!

:first:

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

22732255.mobi

LOL

Some people have a strategy of regging numerical equivs of premium names. It's speculation at this point, but not neccessarily a bad idea. Whether or not it works is yet to be seen. Just in case, I took that route and regged a few like this, for example 8255(talk) .mobi. If I was wrong, oh well, it only cost me 25 bucks. I think everyone on both sides should shake hands and make up over a few beers. Actually, make that over alot of beer. GT, your first beer is on me. :tongue1:

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you would like it better if I didn't qualify my statements? I THINK that would make me a fool since we have such little empirical evidence to go on at this point. I will leave that role to others who must feel that they KNOW something I don't.
In business, nothing is more "empirical" than the following:

1. Financial stature, business standing, reputation and history of the entity involved in rolling out a new business opportunity.....there was a reason why traditional stock investors had blind faith in market acumen of Warren Buffet.....On this count, look at the kind of industry leaders backing this new venture (.mobi).

2. The sound of cash registers ringing and money rolling in....the sales figures on the day after Thanksgiving are considered so important as they set the tone for the rest of the Holiday season......here scores of 4 and even 5figure .mobi sales at this very very early stage and within a closed and limited group of bidders (at Pool) can be considered bellwether for whats likely to follow in coming months and years.

3. The collective wisdom and predictions of the business community based on solid stats and proven trends.....here no one in his or her right mind can deny that the next big wave is wireless (mobile) Internet......history tells us that when there's such a huge rising tide it lifts "all boats" and in this scenario, .mobi happens to be not just one of the several boats but probably the only one thats out there in the sea of mobile web.

Domain business is largely based on intelligent "speculation"....and with the kinds of odds that we have here, its probably speculation at its best. On the other hand, lets see what "rational" arguments have been made so far for the doom and demise of .mobi....relevant excerpts from this and couple of other threads in this (.mobi) section:
the only people heavily investing in .mobi's are the ones who can't get their hands on a decent .com
, and
"Well I don't really like .mobi
and
I doubt it "takes off" but it could.
and
I just don't understand why ppl want to spend money on .mobi...why in the world didn't they call it .cell ?
and
I personally feel that .Mobi is a flop
and
Although my cellphone is internet capable, I've never used it...
and
There is no need for .mobi. There never was.....most of us have internet ready phones but don't use them for various reasons like - too costly, no real need and that's what a laptop is for
and
it seems to me that the resellers are trying to inflate the prices of .mobi for their own gain
and
Actually .mobi is a really bad thing for many reasons, one is that it will actually create confusion.....and Just because 'there is a large market' does it mean a TLD should be set up to accommodate that particular market ? and....I think that .mobi is doomed from the beginning for a number of reasons, as you all know most of the newest TLDs have not been convincing and I don't think that .mobi is really different from other TLDs.
and this
.com will always be king.......mobi will always be a waste of money

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I have now said about 15 times: premium .mobi names (probably the top 2% of all .mobi names registered) are and will continue to be vary valuable. The rest are not.

That statement is true with ANY domain... Premiums are valuable, all others are not. I don't see your point as it applies to .mobi.

It's like saying "wherever you go, there you are". :confused:

Who determines what is "premium" and what is not? Does it automatically become premium when someone pays a big amount for it? Even then you get members of this and other forums that sit around and say "I wouldn't have paid that" or "boy that guy got lucky" or "what a rip off".

Just as in the value of a domain with ANY ext., the value of a .mobi is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought "MyBank" would be a Premium domain worth $7,000 USD and on a dot common, it may not have been... but MOBI changes that.

It is probable that domains that are "premium" for dot commons are NOT premium for .mobi and vice versa. Domains specific to mobile usage might be more premium despite their oddity. For example, if people are correct about the numerical version of a good word. Those would never play as a dot common.

Then again, what is "Golf Pro" worth? as a dot common? as a .mobi?

That is what is so great and exciting about this .mobi extension... there ARE not set rules. The market, domains, delivery system, devices, usage, marketing, user base... EVERYTHING is evolving even as we are building it.

It may never fly and it might take a ride with the space shuttle.

It's why FISHING isn't called CATCHING

Speculation.

GoPC

:yo:

levanle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What irks me is when people who are heavily into .mobi talk down to people that aren't as if they are enlightened and those who aren't getting .mobi names are not.

What I saw is the absolute opposite.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

1. Financial stature, business standing, reputation and history of the entity involved in rolling out a new business opportunity.....there was a reason why traditional stock investors had blind faith in market acumen of Warren Buffet.....On this count, look at the kind of industry leaders backing this new venture (.mobi).

Hmmm, Warren Buffet started out with $105,000 raised from friends and family. I don't think blind faith is the proper description of when "traditional stock investors" got involved many years later.

Blind faith might be better used to describe investments in the .com boom/bust of the 90's.

xTOPSECRETx

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ringtone.com and ringtone.mobi, you say why visit the .mobi... DONT YOU GET IT THE .MOBI WILL optimized for mobiles... i dont think dudes at ringtone.com will optimize there website for the mobile internet... than your computer user will have a different frame...which would not make sense..so the point of .mobi is optimization designed for mobiles...

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think im slightly dumber now.

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DryHeat said:

2 words: New Coke. Just because a company is successful doesn't mean every decision they make will lead to more success. Even if it may seem like Warren Buffet has never made a bad decision, that doesn't mean he's incapable of it. Bottom line, it's never good to just leap into something simply because someone else is.

My thoughts on industry leaders backing the new venture: why not? Just like in a poker hand when there's $500 in the pot with the last bet being someone else's all-in bet of $50. Because of the 10-to-1 pot odds, the right play is for me to to call that bet unless I have some horrible hand like 7-2 offsuit. Even though it's technically still taking a chance, it's technically a better play than staying out of it because the potential reward for the risk. Likewise, there's enough about .mobi that looks promising that, should everything fall into place and it becomes the next big extension, Google and the like will get massive return for what they put into it. The money to be made by successful mobile internet is already in the pot, so investing 1/10th as much to potentially reap that reward is a smart play, especially if you're a huge company and have much more than enough to invest.

DryHeat said:
2. The sound of cash registers ringing and money rolling in....the sales figures on the day after Thanksgiving are considered so important as they set the tone for the rest of the Holiday season......here scores of 4 and even 5figure .mobi sales at this very very early stage and within a closed and limited group of bidders (at Pool) can be considered bellwether for whats likely to follow in coming months and years.

As has been said, premium names being auctioned off helps build that up. I don't see that as absolute proof that the extension will be wildly successful. I'm of the opinion that withholding premium names can be detrimental to the development and advancement of the extension. I believe that .tv for example would be much more widely used today if names like Business.tv, News.tv, and the like weren't held back at all. Verisign wants to make their money though...

DryHeat said:
3. The collective wisdom and predictions of the business community based on solid stats and proven trends.....here no one in his or her right mind can deny that the next big wave is wireless (mobile) Internet......history tells us that when there's such a huge rising tide it lifts "all boats" and in this scenario, .mobi happens to be not just one of the several boats but probably the only one thats out there in the sea of mobile web.

Question: Who's to say that a company won't come out with a handheld device that can read any website like a normal computer would and navigate through it well enough to be reasonable to work with? Many people avidly into .mobi like to pretend that it's never going to happen, and in a way they are betting AGAINST the advancement of mobile internet technology and betting ON the statis quo. After all, the ultimate goal for internet on mobile devices SHOULD be for it to work as well or close to as well as it does on a desktop. Given how quickly new technological advances happen these days, I don't see how people can be so sure that mobile internet can't evolve into the internet we already know and love, with of course a few enhancements like bar codes and the like.

DryHeat said:
Domain business is largely based on intelligent "speculation"....and with the kinds of odds that we have here, its probably speculation at its best.

Who was it again that just based on someone for saying "I think"? It's ALL theory and speculation at this point, and some of you are trying to pass .mobi names off as a risk-free investment and the wild success of the extension as fact already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators