Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Mod Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an open buying transaction in a sales thread that was closed. What if I need to communicate to the seller or otherwise in the thread during my transaction? Now I can't. I wish the mods here would think before acting in closing threads simply because of all the piddly rules around here.

Upvote 0

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But common sense (or what one *THINKS* is "common sense") and FACT are two different things.

Some here spoke LIKE they have the proxy votes of those so-called "majority" of membership in hand; but the truth is, they are just a REALLY small group of individuals who happen to speak a bit louder.

I understand. But it is not difficult to see majority of them will agree with the flexibility of the rules.

e.g. If your goverment would like to reduce the tax by half, where would the majority of people go? Will they reject or accept? Just common sense. Some might reject the ideas but their are either odd or too rich or just need mental health assessment.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But the question would be - are they agreeing to it because it would be nice (but are happy with the way things are) or would want (demand) it like some people are in this thread.

There is a big difference.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But common sense (or what one *THINKS* is "common sense") and FACT are two different things.

Some here spoke LIKE they have the proxy votes of those so-called "majority" of membership in hand; but the truth is, they are just a REALLY small group of individuals who happen to speak a bit louder.

some may actually believe they speak for the "majority", when only a "minority" speak up against them.

therefore they assume that everyone else is on their side.

and what is a "so-called MOD or whatever", is it any kin to a "mystery mod"?

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Common sense can still be applied.

One question I got.

There is no rule I found in the forum that there should not be any spaces in the BODY of the thread.

e.g.

If I put a domain in the title whatever format you demand, why am I not allowed to put like

D n F o r u m .com or Dn forum .com

in the body. One mod threatened to close down my threads unless I delete the spaces.

Where is that rule?

what is a "so-called MOD or whatever", is it any kin to a "mystery mod"?

No. I don't mean "mystery mod". I mean MOD or moderators or whatever you called yourselves.

Last edited:

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen,

I think we are way off the topic here.
Let go back one step and think it over:

The forums and the community is a privately own entity and all the rules have been in place for years. Members may request and suggest ideas but it is up to the management to approve it or not.

Facts:
- Mods and Admin only enforce the rules to make sure that all members follow the rules.
- Mods and Admin do not have authority to change/add or delete any rule.
- Feel free to send Adam an email or PM if you think the staff (Mods or Admin) are not doing their jobs.

Not only with forums and online community but in real life there are rules wherever you live. You can't just ask for a town meeting and expect the rules will be changed.

We have discussed about this topic so many times and I don't think it will go anywhere as management does not think there is a need to change it.

What I don't understand is people who want to change are Exclusive members and they do have the privilege to create thread with no name in title.

Sometimes I think we forget this is a domain forum where you conduct your business and learn at the same time according to the rules. We are so anxious to get into ANY discussion that we think it is hot.

I do not try to point the finger to anyone - Just my humble opinion on the subject.

Thanks,
John

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Common sense can still be applied.

One question I got.

There is no rule I found in the forum that there should not be any spaces in the BODY of the thread.

e.g.

If I put a domain in the title whatever format you demand, why am I not allowed to put like

D n F o r u m .com or Dn forum .com

in the body. One mod threatened to close down my threads unless I delete the spaces.

Where is that rule?

No. I don't mean "mystery mod". I mean MOD or moderators or whatever you called yourselves.

lol

reading is fundamental :)

10. ALL DOMAIN SALES MUST list the actual domain name IN THE POST, and at least one of the domain names being sold in the title of the post, you must post the ACTUAL DOMAIN NAME. No spacing of letters or domains is permitted in titles and/or posts for all Platinum Sales sections as well as the Domain Appraisal section. There's a solution for those avoiding spiders, you may use example(.)com or example(dot)com. In addition, most forums have a sticky thread or an announcement thread (or perhaps both) with more rules specific to that subforum. Please check for specific sticky threads and specific announcements that pertain to the subforum before posting in the forums. This rule is echoed in many sticky threads across our forum. Checking for a sticky before posting is netiquette you should be aware of, in any forum. Further reading here.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

10. ALL DOMAIN SALES MUST list the actual domain name IN THE POST, and at least one of the domain names being sold in the title of the post, you must post the ACTUAL DOMAIN NAME. No spacing of letters or domains is permitted in titles and/or posts for all Platinum Sales sections as well as the Domain Appraisal section. There's a solution for those avoiding spiders, you may use example(.)com or example(dot)com. In addition, most forums have a sticky thread or an announcement thread (or perhaps both) with more rules specific to that subforum. Please check for specific sticky threads and specific announcements that pertain to the subforum before posting in the forums. This rule is echoed in many sticky threads across our forum. Checking for a sticky before posting is netiquette you should be aware of, in any forum. Further reading here.

Yes. I see. But it does not say spacing of words but say only letters.

Yes, Johnn. You're right. MODs only enforce the rules set by the forum.

I think I am possibly wasting my time on this as it might not change after all.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

Biggy (Admin, Mods), I encountered this same issue a couple of weeks ago.

Perhaps there is or can be something done at each spot to list.

This was not in the sub-forum and I did read the rules before posting.

You did show me where they were located.

If each sales "sticky" had the very basics:

Domain(s) Must be in Title
NO spacing between letters
May Use (.) or dot in title
NO external links

Yes, reading is fundamental. But hard to recall everything I have read or locate where it was 3 years ago when read.

IF something similar above was included in EACH SALE sticky then this would simplify what can/can not be done.

NameMatters

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I second this idea or something similar so names can be listed & sold without spiders for those who don't want name sales, prices, bumps, time or comments searchable.

Thanks IBN..

I am really feeling pity for all of you guys fighting (including me) on 'how to list our junk names? Shall I do it with quotes or without quotes or spaces or dashes or (.) or ,;> " and what not!" LOL.. Seriously. After all this fighting, the thread will be locked and we will continue to list and see here mostly junk names for sale from the same sellers who own really good names as well but will never be listed on this or any other public forum where spiders are waiting to index. Instead they have been listing those good names thru popular newsletters and they will continue to do so until this forum creates a spider-free zone somewhere.

Food for thought:

When there are 76,000 domainers (!) on this board, why do we see only junk names for sale 99% of the time? Obviously there is a secret reason for all of those sellers NOT to expose their good names on DNF!!

So, one last time I will suggest though I know it won't be listened, let's have a 'Sponsored Listings' spider-free section where members can list for a fee of 50 cents or so without the worry of spiders. THEN we will see the real names pop-up! I will bet on that!

Oh, btw! Did I mention that, these 76,000 domainers go to outside newsletters and don't mind listing their names thru them for a fee of 10 to 15%? and to reach the same audience anyway??

Hmm, it's going beyond my imagination.. ;)

Last edited:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

10. There's a solution for those avoiding spiders, you may use example(.)com or example(dot)com.

i'd say the first step is getting your facts straight.
what i have highlighted above is factually incorrect, as many have already stated
it don't work :rolleyes:

this thread is like a bloody merry go round

look, note to mods and adam, go through this thread. READ the points mentioned. there are a host of other reasons more important than reselling to not want this system.

why is a drop down box to left of thread title with tld of choice so difficult to implement?
other forums do this for certain sections. it would save these type of threads, it would save people hassle, angst, time. it would save mods heaps of time.

i disagree with the notion of having paid listings.
people pay for exclusive or platinum. why talk yourself and others into more charges, Sai. no thanks.
people who have paid for exclusive yes can post there in those sections,but when you notice maybe 0 people viewing or a couple at best in exclusive sections, platinum is the best place to sell
very little sells in exclusive section , fact

as far as this 76k figure being mentioned of members. how many are banned, how many are active, you can wipe thousands off there for starters. there is a common theme here. in fact i have never seen a thread where at the core most are in agreement. where do you find raider, acro, focus, myself and others in agreement lol?
i'll answer that, never
everyone is free to post too
listen to your members, really listen. this may seem a small issue but the way the mods are playing silly buggers here and playing devils advocate doesnt bode well. quite why you're being so awkward on this is hard to see.

whats a domain forum without its members............? a domain ;)
my own bit of irony and sarcasm

i see this as something if changed that helps everyone, and harms noone

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. I see. But it does not say spacing of words but say only letters.

Yes, Johnn. You're right. MODs only enforce the rules set by the forum.

I think I am possibly wasting my time on this as it might not change after all.

it says "no spacing of letters or domains is permitted in titles and/or posts"

that means if you are selling a LLL.com, you cannot post as "L L L.com" in the title or post.

it also means that you cannot space "dnforum.com" as "dn forum.com" in the title or post.

Biggy (Admin, Mods), I encountered this same issue a couple of weeks ago.

Perhaps there is or can be something done at each spot to list.

This was not in the sub-forum and I did read the rules before posting.

You did show me where they were located.

If each sales "sticky" had the very basics:

Domain(s) Must be in Title
NO spacing between letters
May Use (.) or dot in title
NO external links

Yes, reading is fundamental. But hard to recall everything I have read or locate where it was 3 years ago when read.

IF something similar above was included in EACH SALE sticky then this would simplify what can/can not be done.

that sounds reasonable.

if your example is used, hope you don't mind if we copy it. :)

Thanks

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I seriously think this forum does not listen properly to the members and just want to get more threads indexed at the expense of the members whether or not you are exclusive members or not.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I seriously think this forum does not listen properly to the members and just want to get more threads indexed at the expense of the members whether or not you are exclusive members or not.

you forget that we/mods/admin/Adam are members too

as i was a member before i was also a moderator

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you read through this threads, even some nice MODs felt favorable with our suggestions to escape the spiders.

If there is something wrong in the rule, it should be changed. We have said a thousand times that the ways or methods mentioned in the rules no longer work and I suggested a few ways to escape spiders and those nice MODs felt favorable with them.

Or you have to change the rules saying there is no way to escape spiders etc... Many new members would think it is a lie saying there are ways to escape spiders.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you read through this threads, even some nice MODs felt favorable with our suggestions to escape the spiders.

If there is something wrong in the rule, it should be changed. We have said a thousand times that the ways or methods mentioned in the rules no longer work and I suggested a few ways to escape spiders and those nice MODs felt favorable with them.

Or you have to change the rules saying there is no way to escape spiders etc... Many new members would think it is a lie saying there are ways to escape spiders.

the "nice MODs"

the "mysterymod"

and the "so-called mod or whatever you call yourselves"

any more?

:rolleyes:

why not just speak frankly like others have?

what do you Really wanna call me :)

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the problem with this guy?

I will say you aren't one of the nice Mods. That's for sure.

A kind of personality?

Seems always like to be confrontational and ignore the important facts mentioned.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the problem with this guy?

I will say you aren't one of the nice Mods. That's for sure.

A kind of personality?

Seems always like to be confrontational and ignore the important facts mentioned.

i just don't fall for the oke doke

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Come on. Focus on your domaining. Don't be too sensitive to little things like children or ladies.

hina

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The forums and the community is a privately own entity and all the rules have been in place for years. Members may request and suggest ideas but it is up to the management to approve it or not.

.....<snip>.....

Not only with forums and online community but in real life there are rules wherever you live. You can't just ask for a town meeting and expect the rules will be changed.

We have discussed about this topic so many times and I don't think it will go anywhere as management does not think there is a need to change it.

There you go. Read the bolded parts. I think too many people here are wasting their time to change something that's outside their control. Members can make suggestions but it is up to the management to approve it or not. Re-read what he said:
If you don't like the rules, no one's forcing you to stay. You can find another forum or even start your own. Don't waste your time here.

They do listen to members. Whether your suggestion is acted upon or not, well, that's another matter :)

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They do listen to members. Whether your suggestion is acted upon or not, well, that's another matter :)

Also read my reply. I said if they don't want to change it , at least they should correct in the rules that there is no way to avoid spiders.

Now they mention the ways to avoid spiders but those don't work. It is a kind of telling lie to the members.

Should just say ,there is no way to avoid spiders in platinum forum etc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom