Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Mod Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an open buying transaction in a sales thread that was closed. What if I need to communicate to the seller or otherwise in the thread during my transaction? Now I can't. I wish the mods here would think before acting in closing threads simply because of all the piddly rules around here.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it says "no spacing of letters or domains is permitted in titles and/or posts"

that means if you are selling a LLL.com, you cannot post as "L L L.com" in the title or post.

it also means that you cannot space "dnforum.com" as "dn forum.com" in the title or post.

that sounds reasonable.

if your example is used, hope you don't mind if we copy it. :)

Thanks
Not at all

It needs to be simple and precise.

We can not lose site of the fact that this is a multilingual forum.

Too often we take for granted English. But we know this is not the native tongue of many.

That is why it seriously needs to be simple, easily recognizable, and easily understood.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/f48/canakya-dot-com-3k-pageviews-look-thread-370734.html

"invalid name format" - wtf? its keyword dot com - now thats not allowed?

This is getting childish tbh, i don't want to put the name in clear in title in any sale thread and i can report lots of posts that don't conform to the 'requirements' exactly as written - either you need to change the requirements or you need to commit to them in all threads.

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/f48/canakya-dot-com-3k-pageviews-look-thread-370734.html

"invalid name format" - wtf? its keyword dot com - now thats not allowed?

This is getting childish tbh, i don't want to put the name in clear in title in any sale thread and i can report lots of posts that don't conform to the 'requirements' exactly as written - either you need to change the requirements or you need to commit to them in all threads.
You put "dot" instead of "."

I believe that you'll be banned next time you do that.

:twitch:

Nah, this is (partly) what the thread has become about - the staff are dead against changing this rule, whilst it seems that many members are in favour of changing it.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You put "dot" instead of "."

I believe that you'll be banned next time you do that. :twitch:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I fail to see why they should have an objection to the title I did put?

If someone can't understand keyword dot com, they probably shouldn't be in domaining in any case.

hina

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nah, this is (partly) what the thread has become about - the staff are dead against changing this rule, whilst it seems that many members are in favour of changing it.
Unfortunately, the rules are set by the management, not the community.

DNForum is a privately owned entity. You don't have any control over the forum rules.

You will be heard. The mods/admins will "follow the discussion closely". But, in the end, you don't have any power to change the rules.

No matter how logical your suggestion is, no matter how absurd the rules are... you are just a member of this community. You are not the owner, you don't set the rules.

If you cannot accept that fact, just find another forum.

nicedomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guys, if you read thru this thread you will realize the actual domain in the title rule isn't going to change.

Personally, I don't mind the rule as long as threads remain open so that we can edit information within the threads.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How "many" again?

If someone can't understand keyword dot com, they probably shouldn't be in domaining in any case.
You forget that DNForum could NOT live on domain speculators alone. Everybody is talking about selling to end-users, but how on earth are they able to engage with all those end-user unfriendly hurdles.

Before anyone asks, DNForum does have an Exclusive section for serious domain investors.

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the rules are set by the management, not the community.

DNForum is a privately owned entity. You don't have any control over the forum rules.

You will be heard. The mods/admins will "follow the discussion closely". But, in the end, you don't have any power to change the rules.

No matter how logical your suggestion is, no matter how absurd the rules are... you are just a member of this community. You are not the owner, you don't set the rules.

If you cannot accept that fact, just find another forum.
I quite agree; I've run large forums before and this is a pretty clear fact to me :)

However also it's strange in that usually when a rule (or set of rules, a particular mod etc) are bad, the odd member simply leave. This isn't happening here - members want to stay and see if some of the problems can be sorted out. This is incentive enough to consider the suggestions IMO.

But I quite agree; I've made my view clear and I'll have to respect the final decision. :)

How "many" again?
0.03% at last count, which I think is over 50%, or thereabouts.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You forget that DNForum could NOT live on domain speculators alone.
Oh? You assume a lot of sales here happen to end users?

Everybody is talking about selling to end-users, but how on earth are they able to engage with all those end-user unfriendly hurdles.
Selling to end users is rarely going to happen via the forum, at least imho. I doubt a user who wants to buy a domain in the prices they're sold for in the platinum forum is even going to spring $49.95 for a gold membership.

And for your information, the domain in title rule is not for the benefit of the members, its for the benefit of the board and those that use off board tools to scroll lists of names. A member could just as easily mouseover to see the contents of a particular thread without clicking on it.

And dot v/s . ? :lol:

Before anyone asks, DNForum does have an Exclusive section for serious domain investors.
Just picked these numbers from the home right now, should answer your question:

Code:
Exclusive Domains for Sale (1 Viewing) 

Exclusive Sales (shows nothing so assume none)

---

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Offers Wanted (85 Viewing)

$1 Domain Auctions (2 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Fixed Prices Above $100 (50 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Fixed Prices $100 and Under (12 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Short Domains; 4 Characters or Less - Fixed Prices (2 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Short Domains; 4 Characters or Less - Make Offer (9 Viewing) 

Domains with Traffic (Traffic Domains) (30 Viewing) 

Domain for Sale - ( Domains Dropping Soon - Names within 30 days to Expiration ) - All names $20 BIN (5 Viewing)

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just picked these numbers from the home right now, should answer your question:

Code:
Exclusive Domains for Sale (1 Viewing) 

Exclusive Sales (shows nothing so assume none)

---

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Offers Wanted (85 Viewing)

$1 Domain Auctions (2 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Fixed Prices Above $100 (50 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Fixed Prices $100 and Under (12 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Short Domains; 4 Characters or Less - Fixed Prices (2 Viewing) 

Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Short Domains; 4 Characters or Less - Make Offer (9 Viewing) 

Domains with Traffic (Traffic Domains) (30 Viewing) 

Domain for Sale - ( Domains Dropping Soon - Names within 30 days to Expiration ) - All names $20 BIN (5 Viewing)

That's because those sales in exclusive are set to not get indexed.

Maybe that will tell you how many guests read your threads from search engines that are buyers.

-=DCG=-

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Why not have ALL sales threads set to not being indexed?

Then every member regardless of membership, call post the TLD in threads and posts without all the trickery.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's not a negative thing to have a domain indexed. The reason threads have a high number of views is not necessarily from members on the forum but from guests who have reached your thread through google etc.

I have had sales from gold members who joined because they were a guest and saw the name. If you're that worried about it...don't post your high quality names.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that compassion... but i have other reasons for not posting high quality names.

It's not like when we post a thread we put the price in the title. We can always edit what's in the thread. We can always ask to PM offers...there are ways of avoiding the actual price of a name being indexed. Regardless though...just because a price is indexed does NOT mean that's what it will sell at.

In my opinion though...the more viewers...the more action.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not a negative thing to have a domain indexed. The reason threads have a high number of views is not necessarily from members on the forum but from guests who have reached your thread through google etc.

I have had sales from gold members who joined because they were a guest and saw the name. If you're that worried about it...don't post your high quality names.

i've argued your point as well.

publicity is a good thing imo

i've also sold names to people who joined dnf after.

on occassion, you'll find the curious (end-user/web novice) who wants to know what you do and how you got involved with domains.

they have know idea of a "domain industry" as such,
and when given a preview, they are very interested.

these buyers typically don't question your justification for pricing, when you can refer them to a website that shows a portfolio and references of past sales.

they realize that you are a serious business person and respect the values you've placed on your domains....simply by reason of association.

how you paint the picture, can be just as interesting as the painting!

NameMatters

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're that worried about it...don't post your high quality names.

And that is exactly what 99% of us do.

So, here is the summary of this thread:

1. End-users are clever enough to search for the names via Google and land here with the hope of finding end-user quality names.

2. On the other hand, members here are clever enough NOT to post their end-user quality names because they don't want Google to index them!!

Isn't it too funny? Is this fight even worth everyone's time when end-users are not going to get what they want and sellers are not going to get what they want either?

thanks,

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh? You assume a lot of sales here happen to end users?
No, I am saying that DNForum should not aim at or be content with being just a "domainers' club".

And for your information, the domain in title rule is not for the benefit of the members, its for the benefit of the board ...
Not really into some point by point argument, but I find this dichotomy (members vs. board) not exactly constructive, nor close to reality.

The bottom line is, while *SOME* members don't like some of the rules, these rules are actually there for the good of the membership at large. (Point to ponder: why are there rules in the first place?) What I don't like is, *SOME* members here try to usurp the majority, when they don't even have the mandate of a significant minority.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, here is the summary of this thread:

1. End-users are clever enough to search for the names via Google and land here with the hope of finding end-user quality names.

2. On the other hand, members here are clever enough NOT to post their end-user quality names because they don't want Google to index them!!

Isn't it too funny? Is this fight even worth everyone's time when end-users are not going to get what they want and sellers are not going to get what they want either?

thanks,

Sounds Like DNForum should give us a marketplace option/solution to take care of both groups... :) - My bet is that they will.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam, I somehow have my doubts about end users contributing to any sales on the forum. Plus, you really think there is an issue with putting dot v/s . ?

What this would mean for me at least is that I should only put end user pricing for the domain for sale, just in case a potential end user did see it, don't see many forum sales happening at that price point.

And nameslave, I dont claim to represent anyone, least of all a majority, am just putting my own views across. And if you can't see the difference between 'good for the board' and the 'good for the individual' and how they could be at ends, we are obviously looking at this from opposite perspectives.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam, I somehow have my doubts about end users contributing to any sales on the forum.

What this would mean for me at least is that I should only put end user pricing for the domain for sale, just in case a potential end user did see it, don't see many forum sales happening at that price point.

Plus, you really think there is an issue with putting dot v/s . ?

there are end-users here on the forum.

i had started a thread about "what is an end-user and are there any on this forum"

http://www.dnforum.com/f34/what-end-user-there-any-forum-thread-363440.html

that issue was confirmed by those who posted, that there are end-users here.

the other point that was made in this thread, was to accept offers rather than putting a price.

with this option, there is no back-trail of pricing on your domain for anyone to point to.

imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom