Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Mod Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an open buying transaction in a sales thread that was closed. What if I need to communicate to the seller or otherwise in the thread during my transaction? Now I can't. I wish the mods here would think before acting in closing threads simply because of all the piddly rules around here.

Upvote 0

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its interesting that most of the people concerned about Google indexing their domain sales are exclusive members.

You do realize that you have not one, but TWO forums you can use (Exclusive Domains for Sale (viewable by all) and the Exclusive Sales (viewable by exclusives only)) that do NOT require a domain in the title?

Some people here do use them, frequently, and I doubt they'll have an indexing / history issue since they can edit the posts after the sale is done.

Platinum members who are concerned about this, this is a good reason to upgrade to exclusive. Low value names (99% of my portfolio for example) won't have this issue, there is a small difference (not %) in the price increase - IMO this might be an issue for a small percentage of the domains out there.

The cost to upgrade to exclusive (for any level) is pennies compared to what you could pay for advertising like what you are looking for - good exposure while it is for sale and then privacy over the sale details when it is all said and done.

As for indexing - you NEVER see this happening with home sales, especially during the real estate boom. "Hey, this beachfront property sold 30 years ago for $75,000 and now you're asking $10,000,000 for it? That's a rip-off!" Ignoring the fact that you had built a nice B&B on there (revenue and traffic) as well as kept the beach very nice (traffic) etc.. Maybe people need to educate the end users this.

Last edited:
Domain Summit 2024

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Recently Thread Closed for having a "Space in the domain title" For example "Coffee Blog.com " is up for sale and the thread closed, reason Space in domain name, the reason I listed like this, because of Crawlers.

The dnforum rules state you can avoid the crawlers with the form CoffeeBlog(.)com. Thats in the rules and it works. So why not just use that? there are a lot more important things to be talking about.

What you are really saying is that each user should be able to make up his own format. And that makes no sense. One of the main reasons that dnforum is as good as it is, is because it has a consistent set of rules that creates an orderly place to do business.

The Mods do a great job and the rules here are consistent and make sense. The complainers could go and start their own forum - and see how hard it is.

Kevin

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yet inside the post you listed it as CoffeeBlog.com, which still would be picked up by crawlers, so I'm trying to understand your reasoning :)

The name is still in the title line. A solution would be to allow the OP to edit the Title line so that AFTER the sale or offer is over they may delete the name completely from both the title and message area.

Some other forums do in fact permit the title to be subject to edit so I know it can be done.

P.S. Are you positive example(.) com or exampleDOTcom gets indexed in G? I don't see how they can index that format.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will say this, I have had MANY potential sales totally ruined by information indexed from DNF and ended up selling a domain for FAR less money than it would have sold for had that information not been found in google. The only reason it was found is due to the necessity of having to put the exact domain name in threads on DNF. For sometime also the places that were not suppose to be getting indexed or were supposed to get purged were not being removed. Also many of my sales threads ended up listed on some other site owned by Adam with some kind of DNF rss feed. This is a real issue and people are not just coming up with this as some excuse to buck the system. Try asking 15k for a domain name from an enduser for a decent LLL.com that is worth every penny and they email you the link to it on DNF where you bought it for half the price. The person listng it before you obviously had to list the exact name as well to comply with the name in title rules and thus has basically now tainted your resale ability of the domain name for a higher price later. People do search for this stuff and it is a very signifigant issue when domainers are trying to buy, resell, flip, & invest in valuable domain names. We should be doing all we can to not have our domains and the prices and other sensitive information indexed in search engines because it causes us to lose alot of money and set's the bar on a specifics domain names value. Maybe we need the ability to fully delete a thread after a successful public sale..just an idea.

Last edited:

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, none of the staff have still answered my question?

*Why* is it so important to you to ensure that the domains are indexed? :)

We have here an easy to implement solution, and something that the majority of members want. But the staff are united against it - why? :) Will DNF explode if we're allowed to put domain (dot) com or similar instead of domain.com?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The theory I think is that people will be able to scam buyers with IDN domain sales I think..or someone will post sold for what they thought was a certain domain only to find out it was not really the name being sold because the title was misleading and lose money....both a bit far fetched if you ask me unless you are a complete idiot.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, none of the staff have still answered my question?

We have here an easy to implement solution, and something that the majority of members want. But the staff are united against it - why? :) Will DNF explode if we're allowed to put domain (dot) com or similar instead of domain.com?

Over 76,000 members and less than two dozen replying in this thread - since when is .03% a majority?

But - indexing is not the issue - its having the domain in the title is the issue. The rules are stated that at least one domain needs to be in the title. that is a rule to avoid shady and unethical sales.

People can edit their own posts so they can de-Google or even remove domains sold and can ask the buyer (or seller) to edit their posts to reflect this, too.

People are making way too much out of this - if you don't want a sale indexed, then edit out the details and have the other party do the same. All someone will see is that the domain was for sale and no domains can be in the post.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Over 76,000 members and less than two dozen replying in this thread - since when is .03% a majority?
Erm... are you really being serious? :?:

One, not all 76,000 members are active. Two, not all those who are active will reply to this thread. Three, why not do a poll and find out?

Apologies if you were joking :)

But - indexing is not the issue - its having the domain in the title is the issue. The rules are stated that at least one domain needs to be in the title. that is a rule to avoid shady and unethical sales.
I thought people were arguing that instead of putting example.org we put example (dot) org, thus reducing the chance of a direct index.

This could still conform to the "domain in title" rule?

People are making way too much out of this - if you don't want a sale indexed, then edit out the details and have the other party do the same. All someone will see is that the domain was for sale and no domains can be in the post.
The staff are too - no staff member has provided a valid reason why it's so important to put the domain exactly instead of using "," or "(dot) instead of "."

Donald Aquilano

DON.ME
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just let people put example(dot)com in the title and be done with it!!!

Is it that hard to change this one little rule?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Erm... are you really being serious? :?:

One, not all 76,000 members are active. Two, not all those who are active will reply to this thread. Three, why not do a poll and find out?

Apologies if you were joking :)

OK, even if 1% of the members are active members (adjective has been added) - that's only 760- active people, two dozen is still only 3% of that and is still far from a "majority". Now, we can cay the majority of people posting in this thread - then I can go along with that.

As for the poll, only people who want to make the change will vote - we've seen this in the past.

I thought people were arguing that instead of putting example.org we put example (dot) org, thus reducing the chance of a direct index.

This could still conform to the "domain in title" rule?

The staff are too - no staff member has provided a valid reason why it's so important to put the domain exactly instead of using "," or "(dot) instead of "."

I've stated my opinions on this but it is not a question any of the mods can easily answer since we are here to enforce the rules and I'm sure the domain in title rule has been around a very long time (longer than any of us have been mods most likely).

Your initial question was:

This is not the reason for the rule, it is so people see exactly what is being sold. Search engine spiders do a good job of what they were supposed to do - index the internet.

I've given two perfectly legal ways (well, two for exclusive members and one for platinum members) around the main issue people seem to have with the rule and not one person has commented on them (the main issue being search engines indexing sales threads hindering future sales).

I gave a solution and people still argued.

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, even if 1% of the members are active members (adjective has been added) - that's only 760- active people, two dozen is still only 3% of that and is still far from a "majority". Now, we can cay the majority of people posting in this thread - then I can go along with that.

As for the poll, only people who want to make the change will vote - we've seen this in the past.
I did effectively mean that - I was speaking for 76,000 people I've never met when I said "majority" :)

What's the solution then? It's not a major issue, although it's something that a majority :)smilewinkgrin:) of members seem to want, so it should be explored IMHO :)

I've stated my opinions on this but it is not a question any of the mods can easily answer since we are here to enforce the rules and I'm sure the domain in title rule has been around a very long time (longer than any of us have been mods most likely).

Your initial question was:
That's fair enough :) I'm happy to see what the admins have to say about this issue.

This is not the reason for the rule, it is so people see exactly what is being sold. Search engine spiders do a good job of what they were supposed to do - index the internet.

I've given two perfectly legal ways (well, two for exclusive members and one for platinum members) around the main issue people seem to have with the rule and not one person has commented on them (the main issue being search engines indexing sales threads hindering future sales).

I gave a solution and people still argued.
Okay that reason is a valid one; not one I'd agree with, but one I can understand - thanks.

What was the second reason? I know one can edit their posts, but this is annoying in itself when the solution (allowing "(dot)" instead of ".") is so easy.

Plus a solution isn't definite; there's no one right solution, hence why the discussion continued in my opinion :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exclusive members (like you) can post in the two exclusive sales forums (one viewable by all logged in members and the other only viewable by exclusive members) - these do not require a domain in the title (exclusive benefit in these two forums only) and you can edit the thread as you sell domains.

A little off topic but considering your avatar I think you'll like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPi_dh6Vk1I&feature=PlayList&p=g5qn6YOenVY

:)

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exclusive members (like you) can post in the two exclusive sales forums (one viewable by all logged in members and the other only viewable by exclusive members) - these do not require a domain in the title (exclusive benefit in these two forums only) and you can edit the thread as you sell domains.
Thanks :) Yes, they are pretty good solutions thanks. I still think that there's a much easier and better solution all round, but it's good to know what to do for now.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i have argued the same point each and every time

i think the real issue is that some don't feel as confident that they can get the price they want in the end.

so they lay blame on the forum for something that hasn't even happened yet, by predicting their failure before it happens.

Rediculous... You know that's it's much more than that.

Just let people put example(dot)com in the title and be done with it!!!

Is it that hard to change this one little rule?

The spiders still pick it up Don....

They can even pick up on your email address if you spell it out, For example;

yourname at yahoo dot com

I will say this, I have had MANY potential sales totally ruined by information indexed from DNF and ended up selling a domain for FAR less money than it would have sold for had that information not been found in google.

The only reason it was found is due to the necessity of having to put the exact domain name in threads on DNF. For sometime also the places that were not suppose to be getting indexed or were supposed to get purged were not being removed. Also many of my sales threads ended up listed on some other site owned by Adam with some kind of DNF rss feed. This is a real issue and people are not just coming up with this as some excuse to buck the system. Try asking 15k for a domain name from an enduser for a decent LLL.com that is worth every penny and they email you the link to it on DNF where you bought it for half the price. The person listng it before you obviously had to list the exact name as well to comply with the name in title rules and thus has basically now tainted your resale ability of the domain name for a higher price later. People do search for this stuff and it is a very signifigant issue when domainers are trying to buy, resell, flip, & invest in valuable domain names. We should be doing all we can to not have our domains and the prices and other sensitive information indexed in search engines because it causes us to lose alot of money and set's the bar on a specifics domain names value. Maybe we need the ability to fully delete a thread after a successful public sale..just an idea.

I've had the same happen and I have to agree with most of what you posted here... And it pains me to say that.

I like the delete option for domain sales only.. I'm sure that can be done.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

You are playing with numbers. Here come common sense.

Most of them will agree for it. Because they won't lose anything and they would have more flexibility and they would not see their threads closed down by so called MODs or whatever.

As an example. Instead of sexe.com, if I give you both sexe.com and sex.com and you refuse, you need to be assessed by mental health team.

Here it is the same. They won't lose anything and instead will have more flexibiity .

IBN

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bottomline, this is what is happening..Read carefully:

Due to the obvious reason, many sellers with good names are never willing to post them here. The end result is, what we see here every day >> all 'junk' names.

1. Many Silver, Gold or Platinum members doesn't get motivated enough to upgrade to the Exclusive status. It's NOT because they can't afford to upgrade their membership most of the cases. It's because they do not see value. All they see is ton of junk names. (Sorry to say this).

2. Also, indexed threads will hurt seller's ability to negotiate, having known this, sellers are not posting their good names here. And now, read #1 again. :(

3. Many members whether exclusive or not, doesn't visit the forum regularly due to the same reason mentioned above.

So, there needs to be a 'paid listings' section where all members who are eligible to sell domains here should be able to post them. I know there is a private area for exclusives to sell domains without worrying about domain in title but it doesn't serve the purpose as it limits the buyers (only exclusives can read it). Once we create a paid listings area (fee should be very very nominal, like 50 cents per listing or something like that), you should see some good names in the forum for sale.

Summary:

This forum has PLENTY of good buyers but the sellers are scared to list their names for sale!!!! Isn't it a pity for buyers, sellers and the DNF itself ????

If someone wants to hide from Google, they have to pay for the mask!! lol.

It doesn't hurt to try out a 'Sponsored Listings' section where sellers can post (for a small fee of 50 cents per post) the names without the worry of indexing the thread. If anything, it will only get few extra bucks in revenue to DNF. imho.

Did you ever wonder why newsletters from Rick and Kevin's have good names listed while DNF is filled with sub-prime names yet DNF has thousands of domainers and most of them belong to those newsletters as well?

I second this idea or something similar so names can be listed & sold without spiders for those who don't want name sales, prices, bumps, time or comments searchable.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are playing with numbers. Here come common sense.

Most of them will agree for it. Because ...
But common sense (or what one *THINKS* is "common sense") and FACT are two different things.

Some here spoke LIKE they have the proxy votes of those so-called "majority" of membership in hand; but the truth is, they are just a REALLY small group of individuals who happen to speak a bit louder.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And I thought it'd be a quiet Friday.

For those that missed the memo, this thread is not about the listing format, or the commas used or anything related to a specific item.

It's all about *attitude* displayed by a single moderator, who is using "shopping mall cop" tactics. It's about anal micromanagement, lack of implementation of common sense, bureaucracy and simply an outdated approach to handling deviations from the "10 commandments" script.

It's about creating a negative environment one cannot feel welcome in and to engage in business without being tasered for every misstep one takes.

A fine example would be in this thread.

Absolutely the truth right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom