Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker Moniker is down again

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For security purposes we do not disclose causes of network outages or technical details, data center locations, equiptment, software etc. We have taken the further steps to reduce these types of outages.

Sara

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Reduce" an outage which brought down hundreds of thousands (probably more) domains? Isn't "eliminate" a better word?

It is astonishing that this could even happen once. Does the management of Moniker not understand that, John?

Then the utter silence as customers were screaming for help... for hour after hour.

Do they realize how serious it is? How it requires serious and detailed assurances that it cannot happen again?

Last edited:

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sara- Agreed yes we are aware of the seriousness of such an outage. we are taking every precaution. keep in mind outages do sometimes occur even at the largest of internet companies. we are doing our absolute best to reduce and eliminate all outages.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay I didn't realize others were having issues with Moniker. I just moved my domains out. Hopefully they are transferred soon.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sara- Agreed yes we are aware of the seriousness of such an outage. we are taking every precaution. keep in mind outages do sometimes occur even at the largest of internet companies. we are doing our absolute best to reduce and eliminate all outages.

John,

The problem is that Moniker is different than other registrars I use. I have seen small outages at others but Moniker will be down for HOURS, and once all day. A website should not be down for hours; it clearly shows a lack of planning. Which is consistent with other aspects of Moniker. Godaddy for example is upgrading the site all the time but Moniker is static, never changes, and in general it feels like the orphan of its family, just neglected. Its like management does not care so they dont put money into it to fix the problems. Its gone on long enough that most people I know have given up on Moniker.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indeed, it's like there is no proactive outside monitoring.
Outages and failures should be addressed before customers even notice them.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No work on the systems and infrastructure has been made since Monte first sold Moniker.
Only temporary bug fixes. And things do brake down after years have passed.

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All technical systems were in fact improved and upgraded each time Moniker was sold to Kanoodle, Oversee.net and KeyDrive. I cannot get into the technical specifics but the data center and technology are core to our business as is our customer support. We have recentlly heavily invested in both of these areas and will continue to do so. With the exception of this recent outage we have seen great returns since the acquisition in terms of technology, registrations and renewals, improved our industry leading efficacy /catch rate at Snapnames, and premium brokerage -where we continue to dominate the 6 and 7 Figures sales. We are truly commited to these areas and hope to earn and or keep your business going forward.

We are aware of the difficulty of the outage and inconviences it caused to our customers and have used the experience to our advantage to make sure it does not occur again.

As you all know our industry is going through alot of changes right now. Moniker and Snapnames will be a key partner in coming months and years to you, to our existing and new clients, to the domain investment community, including DNF members, and to the the new and existing registries and the corporate/endusers.

We thank you for your patience and again apologize for the outage.

Please feel free to contact me directly

John Mauriello
Moniker : Snapnames Brokerage & Acquisitions

Tel: 954.861.3536 | Fax: 520.208.8744
[email protected] | www.moniker.com | www.snapnames.com

Last edited:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm moving all my Moniker names to Fabulous as soon as they are back online.

Just to add to this; I decided to not move my names away from Moniker after all. I've had names at Moniker for years and never really had any problems at all, besides they are very secure. It's only that when their site has been down as much as they have lately that I ended up getting a little tired of it all .. :)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If the outages continue and it's disrupting your business, then you might want to consider moving.... On the other hand if you like Moniker which I think most of you do, and this is the only issue you have a problem with, then I think you should cut them slack. John noted it's unlikely to occur again, so why not wait and see?

I do have an account at Moniker for Snap wins, but it's not my primary Registrar for the simple reason the interface doesn't agree with me.

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Raider. There are major interface improvements in works as well. The Moniker site still has the best bulk tools for Managing large portfolios, has the internets most valuable domain names under management, and one of the higest renewal rates.

However some of the navigation is not the most intuitive and some of the error messaging is not very helpful. All of this is being improved in addition to a new design. In the meantime you should contact Navin ManichandTel: 954.861.3528 | Fax: 954.969.9155 [email protected] who can give you a tour of the site and existing functionality. I have found that most users are not aware of most of the bulk tools, report center, search functions, bulk registration, security features, listing names for sale, etc.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John when was the last time that the moniker interface and back system was upgraded?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can post the domain if you want me to have a look at it

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If your looking for perfection from your registrar, your not going to find it.. Just like your not going to find it with any other business.

I would think you would give your Registrar the opportunity to respond to your ticket before posting your issue on a Domain Forum, But in the event your in a hurry for a response, you can always give them a call at;

Toll-free in the U.S. and Canada: 1-800-688-6311
Outside the U.S. and Canada: 1-954-607-1294

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kevin- I used your last name to look up the ticket. Clear your cache and also try from another computer/device as I show it is correctly forwarding

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kevin- I used your last name to look up the ticket. Clear your cache and also try from another computer/device as I show it is correctly forwarding

The domain is: MobileFinances.com.

I tried that and its still not working. I will reboot and try. Its odd because if i try a bad url, like www.MobileFinances.com/d8d8d8d8d833k3k3.html, I should get a 404 message or *something* but it does the same thing, just sits on a blank screen.

John are you at Moniker, inside their firewall, when you try it? Its not enough to do that. You need to be outside their local network.

Kevin

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's why I turned of WIFI and tried from my iphone ( outside of moniker network using ATT 4G) ...it is forwarding fine to target URL arkacia.com Had others try from android ..same result

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom