Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Moniker no more

• Thread starter Deleted member 4749
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024
Reaction score
Consumers - get in the program - it is not 2003 any longer. Our registrar has and does follow all regulations. We have NEVER been repremanded or sited for the procedures we follow. To date, we have prevented 237 unauthorized domain transfer requests due to our review and security policy.

Good thing it was not your name that we would have ignored if we followed the same proceedures as NSI, Tucows, enom, Dotster, and others who loose domains every month.

You can keep spapping about what you think you know about our compliance to ICANN policy but the facts are the facts. We are providing the same levels of security and domain protection as we have since our inception and it complies with ALL policies we obligated to. If that were not the case, we would not be here would we?

No you do not have to pay more for this level of protection. We have special pricing for dnforum members - just email me at [email protected].

Reaction score
sure there are some complaints. There are a lot more to those that loose domains. I am not worried about a few complaints or even several complaints if we are saving people from theft. Like everyone said, don't use us if you do not like the extra protection and want your domains open for theft.

We have the very highest retention rates in our industry and have maintained that top ranking for 16 months in a row now.......I would say that more people like our policy than don't. Were talking some 15K customers using us with a 94.6% domain retention and renewal rate. I will keep doing what I am doing....thank you.

Reaction score
we do not address this the way that godaddy does or others. That is why there is not an issue....just a perception of an issue but you do not understand what the policy was 2 years ago and apparently don't today.

In any case, we follow the policy and apply our own level of protection which has worked.

Go spend your negative energy on a bad registrar....not a good one that actually responds to you.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Consumers,

The ICANN rule states that the registrar of record must release the domain, with exceptions.

Check out this webpage:
http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

In particular, see these passages:

2.2.1 Transmission of a "transfer" command constitutes a representation on the part of the Gaining Registrar that the requisite authorization has been obtained from the Transfer Contact listed in the authoritative Whois database.

2.2.2 The Gaining Registrar is responsible for validating the Registered Name Holder requests to transfer domain names between Registrars. However, this does not preclude the Registrar of Record from exercising its option to independently confirm the Registered Name Holder's intent to transfer its domain name to the Gaining Registrar in accordance with Section 3 of this policy.
[...]

3. Upon denying a transfer request for any of the following reasons, the Registrar of Record must provide the Registered Name Holder and the potential Gaining Registrar with the reason for denial. The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:
[...]
A domain name was already in “lock status” provided that the Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.

Accordingly, Moniker may confirm intent to transfer. And, Moniker won't transfer locked names.

How many domains do you have? I have 15,000+.

Guess which registrar I use for 99% of my registrations? MONIKER!

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ICANN was the problem. They put through a transfer policy that was insecure. It's no surprise that security-conscious registrars are reacting to that, because ICANN is clueless, and ignored all the people who said this was going to happen.

Reaction score
George,

Ironically, ICANN's intent was a good one with this policy (yes that came from my fingers!)...which was to help registrants get their domains out of registrars that do not have service and interfaces for management. It was set up so that you and I can transfer our names to who we want, when we want without being held hostage for the purposes of forced renewals at the registrar you were stuck at....along with a bunch of other reasons.

Unfortunately, politics, bureaucracy, and bad direction on behalf of the current committee allowed a policy which leaves registrants open to theft and fraud. All should know that there are far more fraudulent transfers and transfer requests today than there were prior to this policy...by a ratio of 3X. That is a very bad problem and an issue that we (the very few who care) as legitimate registrars must work with. Trust me, it isn’t easy balancing service, support, and security....along with compliance. Fortunately we have found a way to do it.

You will see this policy be changed dramatically in the near future....its being discussed with ICANN and the Registrar Constituency right now. This will validate again what we have been standing up against.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
consumers said:
You have highlighed the problem with Moniker ... they don't confirm or not confirm ... they just block transfers.

I don't care how many domains you have and it is not relevant how many I have I (along with none of your business). And I don't which registrar you use.

You missed the point.

The point is: I DON'T WANT MY NAMES TRANSFERRED. I want them all locked.

I only want to allow a transfer.. if I pre-approved it.

And, I don't want to play games with a registrar and have them make my life hard with crappy interfaces or ridiculous procedures if I DO want to transfer.

I get all that from Moniker, plus. Moniker allows global locking, or uses it as the default. And, Moniker is the most accessible registrar I have ever used.

Monte is one of the only registrar CEOs who posts on the boards and personally helps his clients.

ICANN has their head so far up their ass that they suffocated long ago.

Domain professionals LOVE Moniker!

D

Deleted member 4749

Wow, this thread has all grown up, sort off :wink:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
some people just enjoy starting trouble...

I think Moniker provides a very important service to the domain community...and I'll keep my comments to that

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
consumers said:
If all that were true there would not be any complaints now would there?

Nah, some people complain no matter what. True 100% satisfaction is very rare. You can't please everybody.

Let's say Moniker is only 99.9944% wonderful. That's good enough for me.

;)

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MonikerMan said:
Ironically, ICANN's intent was a good one with this policy (yes that came from my fingers!)...which was to help registrants get their domains out of registrars that do not have service and interfaces for management.

You're right....as I was watching and participating in the process way back when... They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.....maybe the road to Hell passes through Marina del Rey. :evil:

But, seriously, they just need to make a few small changes to make things right again. The key change that they put through was the ability to unlock. They just need greater authentication (including authentication by the losing registrar). Hopefully in version 2.0 or 3.0 of the system, they get it right.

I made other suggestions here:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/transfer-comments-a/msg00002.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators