Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker Moniker Redemption Period Question

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Moniker now seem to be selling domains in Redemption via DomainSystems. Not sure, but this seems to imply that once they have gone Redemption, you have lost them!!!

http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

1. Refinance.com $706,850 Moniker / DomainSystems
2. Consulting.com $181,000 Moniker / T.R.A.F.F.I.C. East
3. Erickson.com $101,200 Moniker / DomainSystems
tie Medicine.org $80,000 Moniker / DomainSystems
tie Publicidad.com
("advertising" in Spanish) $80,000 Pvt Sale
6. NetCash.com $75,800 Moniker / DomainSystems

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what? this names never went to redemption

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, if things drop the whole way, it is usually a open-scramble between drop services. However, Pool and Snapnames have signed up a lot of big registeries to Auction of names that go Redemption. I believe the effect is that as soon as it goes redemption, you actually loose your domain. If Moniker are doing the same thing then no you probably aren't getting a Redemption Period.

Redemption Period was orginally intended by ICANN to give owners more of a chance if they did not renew, but has been seen by many as another way of profiteering. It also means that the drops business has moved from being a lottery to a total stitch up which is why I pulled out about 2 years ago.

I felt that at that time my time and money would be better invested in IDN. I have not changed my opinion. IDN is not any easy market to crack, but chasing drops these days is a total mugs game. I have dropped names that I have had no traffic on and get no enquiries for and then they fetch a tidy packet at Pool. If the new owners are speculators, they are going find some of this stuff a tough sell!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, this has made the "drop" or "expired", whatever, game a lot more expensive than in the good ol' days. Both positive and negative side to this, though.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Yes, this has made the "drop" or "expired", whatever, game a lot more expensive than in the good ol' days. Both positive and negative side to this, though.

Interesting New Foot Note you have there, although I am not sure he was referring to Domains Specifically.

Microsoft, seems to know that it is in some new kind of RACE, but doesn't seem to be sure where the Start or Finish Lines are, or even which direction to go in. I think is analogous to being in the Eye of a Hurricane, need a strategy, but which way to go! My guess is, that they know if they don't get a grip of the browser market and exploit the potential there, then they will end up going the way of Big Blue.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Nice marketing pitch there, Dave. Your method of posting a controversial title, a chunk of text alleging something unproven and a closing paragraph about how great IDN names supposedly are must make you feel special..

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
Nice marketing pitch there, Dave. Your method of posting a controversial title, a chunk of text alleging something unproven and a closing paragraph about how great IDN names supposedly are must make you feel special..

Yes, we have gone off topic in several directions here, my fault I guess. Does anyone have any information of Moniker's policy regarding Redemption, and indeed that of any other significant registrars?

Thanks Acroplex.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please explain how any of these "theories" that you came up with warrant a thread called Moniker - Security Risk. I'll give you a few minutes to explain something factual before I XFile this thread.

thanks

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JEsports said:
Please explain how any of these "theories" that you came up with warrant a thread called Moniker - Security Risk. I'll give you a few minutes to explain something factual before I XFile this thread.

thanks

I like a good many others here believe that there is a conflict of interest between a domain registrar whose primary role should be protecting the interests of their Clients and actually auctioning off domains that have gone into Redemption. This is a profession without a code of conduct and it would appear very few ethics. I think it is obvious from these sales that Moniker who claims to be whiter in white has a conflict of interest, but I am merely trying to establish the facts!

Dave Wrixon

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For clarification please state the domains that have went into "Redemption Period" that Moniker auctioned off in which the owner lost the domain before there full redemption period expired. Thanks

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JEsports said:
For clarification please state the domains that have went into "Redemption Period" that Moniker auctioned off in which the owner lost the domain before there full redemption period expired. Thanks

I am unable to do this, but this is the mechanism by which registrars that auction domains acquire them. Most of the major registrars involved in this activity make this abundantly clear. I believe when a domain registry such as Moniker has made so a big show about being the most Secure Regisry on the net should put its cards on the table and explain what it going on.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think Jesports You can close this thread
as it looks like another IDN show

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
I think Jesports You can close this thread
as it looks like another IDN show

No this is not about IDN, I mentioned IDN on one occassion, is this now a Taboo subject on this forum. This place is worse than China for freedom of speech!

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see a domain register auctioning domains that are soon to expire as a very profitable business tactic used by most all registers. There are tons of arguments on both sides of this tactic on the fairness principle. However, I do not see it as a security risk as long as the current owner's complete and full redemption period has expired before the domain is giving to another owner. Please note that I am an unbiased party as I do use many registrars and have no personal ties to Moniker. Therefore, I will move this thread to the Moniker discussion area and maybe a representative can respond/clear up any questions you may have regarding this.

thanks

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
No this is not about IDN, I mentioned IDN on one occassion, is this now a Taboo subject on this forum. This place is worse than China for freedom of speech!

Then please stop posting about things You don`t know anything about.
I could have posted at least 1-2 domains that where auctioned off in snapnames, that where registered in moniker. - But really whats wrong about it? there is no rule in ICANN that domains should drop, there is nothing You can do about it..
All big registrars are doing it

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
Then please stop posting about things You don`t know anything about.
I could have posted at least 1-2 domains that where auctioned off in snapnames, that where registered in moniker. - But really whats wrong about it? there is no rule in ICANN that domains should drop, there is nothing You can do about it..
All big registrars are doing it

Well, correct me if I am wrong but the registry determines the length of Redemption Period. During that period they are held by the Registry. The Registrar can only reclaim them if he pays a fee to the Registry during the Redemption period. The auction must therefore take place during the Redemption period and be sold to the new Registrant before the end of the Redemption period. If the Redemption period were allowed to run its full course then the domain would drop!

Whilst most big registrars are doing this, this has been made abundantly clear in most cases. The first I have heard about this is the fact that the domains have been sold. There is a clear conflict of interest here as the registrars, who is supposed to act on the registrants behalf to ensure the security of his domains is actually eager to acquire it for profit.

In terms of doing anything about it. I have attempted to make other members on this forum aware of what appears to be be a clear policy change by one of the webs most respected registrars. Stuff on the other hand has gone out of his way to try to suppress any discussion on the matter. If we don't know, as he suggests, anything about this topic then I think it is about time it was clearly explained to all involved exactly where the goal posts have been moved to!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What?! No mentioning of IDN domains?

That's preposterous.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom