Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

moniker Moniker Redemption Period Question

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
folks - these domains were never in redemption, they were outright sales from all different registrants. not sure where you are seeing this? DomainSystems is part of our company.

Please clarify

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MonikerMan said:
folks - these domains were never in redemption, they were outright sales from all different registrants. not sure where you are seeing this? DomainSystems is part of our company.

Please clarify

Thanks for that. They are showing up as Moniker Sales on DNJournal.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Reaction score
Just a reminder to those who apparently do not know what they are posting about, Moniker and Domainsystems are full service domain registrars, domain broker, escrow agent, appraiser.....full service domain company. we were the first company to publically sell a domain and provide escrow for domains in 1996. That is part of our offering as well as being a top ICANN Accredited Registrar. We do not sell domains that have expired...Snap, Pool, and ClubDrop does that for us as they do for hundreds of registrars. These reported sales were not redemption names....not even close to being expired so not sure where this information is coming from?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MonikerMan said:
Just a reminder to those who apparently do not know what they are posting about, Moniker and Domainsystems are full service domain registrars, domain broker, escrow agent, appraiser.....full service domain company. we were the first company to publically sell a domain and provide escrow for domains in 1996. That is part of our offering as well as being a top ICANN Accredited Registrar. We do not sell domains that have expired...Snap, Pool, and ClubDrop does that for us as they do for hundreds of registrars. These reported sales were not redemption names....not even close to being expired so not sure where this information is coming from?

are You partner with snapnames? I mean do they sell Your expired domains? I see Moniker in Preferred partners section.

Reaction score
we own and operate 12 registrars that help our customers pick up expired names and that offer domain services that address their needs. We have partnerships with Snap, Pool, and ClubDrop for this purpose. However, the reported sales on dnjournal from us are outright brokered and escrowed sales. Snap, pool, and CD already report their auctions in the same section.

We retain 95% of our customers domains so very few of our domains end up in these drop pools. The great thing is that our customers have 3 top drop systems to catch names through by being our customer instead of one system. as you know, they all catch names randomly so your chances are higher when you work with 3 drop companies and not just one.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MonikerMan said:

Well, as expressed before, I do not see how acting as registrar and reselling expired domains from Clients is not a conflict of interest. I must admit I had no idea this practice was so wide spread. It would seem that whole concept of Redemption Period then is total junked?

It amazes me how people can front this as a profession when there is not even the rudements of code of ethics. Still that is probably me just being naive.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok so back to my original question ... How does a registrar reselling "expired domains" a "security threat" as you stated? If you let a domain expire, then that is your own fault, not the registrars. Registrars making profits on this is a whole separate issue ... not related to any security issues.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Obviously - a 3 point approach, as I mentioned in my 1st post:

1. Snappy title to catch attention
2. Allegations
3. Plug for "IDN names".

Enough said.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JEsports said:
Ok so back to my original question ... How does a registrar reselling "expired domains" a "security threat" as you stated? If you let a domain expire, then that is your own fault, not the registrars. Registrars making profits on this is a whole separate issue ... not related to any security issues.

Well not really. If you are relying on reminders from a registrar and he is at the same time trying to acquire your valuable domains to auction them off then obviously there is a problem.

I think the at the introduction of the Redemption Period we were all made very aware of the extra period of security that was being made available. I was aware that of the Network Solutions/Snapnames stitich up and one or two others but frankly I had no idea to the extent of which the whole Redemption process has apparently been hi-jacked. Perhaps on this issue I am less up to speed than many of the other contributors to this forum, but I am sure I no less up to speed than the vast majority of domain registrants.

It would seem to me that the whole concept of ethics here has been abandoned in favour of greed. Anyway, I have to sign off now as I need to check the small print on the terms and conditions with my own Registrars.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Is there a "security risk" with Moniker as you allege?

If so, you need to back it up. There is no info whatsover related to your claim. If anything else, Moniker received a top security award as the registrar with the best security against domain hijacking attempts.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
Obviously - a 3 point approach, as I mentioned in my 1st post:

1. Snappy title to catch attention
2. Allegations
3. Plug for "IDN names".

Enough said.

Look you made the complaint that we were off topic here. I acknowledged and apologised. Now either drop it or sling your hook!

Dave Wrixon

Acroplex said:
Is there a "security risk" with Moniker as you allege?

If so, you need to back it up. There is no info whatsover related to your claim. If anything else, Moniker received a top security award as the registrar with the best security against domain hijacking attempts.

Yes, that is why I am aghast that they of all people are involved in this business of trying to hoover up expired domains for auction. In a profession as this claims to be you have ethical codes to avoid such conflicts of interest.

Dave Wrixon

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Well not really. If you are relying on reminders from a registrar

Dave, I am sure you realize relying on "reminders" from any and all registrars is not a wise decision when it comes to your own business. I'm not saying that most registrars dont give reminders, but I certainly wouldnt bet my business on them when you can just as easily have your own excel spreadsheet sorted by expiration date.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am going to request from an admin to change the title of this thread since there are no proven facts stated about security risks.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JEsports said:
Dave, I am sure you realize relying on "reminders" from any and all registrars is not a wise decision when it comes to your own business. I'm not saying that most registrars dont give reminders, but I certainly wouldnt bet my business on them when you can just as easily have your own excel spreadsheet sorted by expiration date.

I have a number of systems in place but managing large numbers of domains is always a worry. I have have had few if any serious problems with my current registrars, who also have an excellent interfaces. I have had bad experiences though with many of the Clowns that the drop services used for registering "catches". Some of them were so bad and so expensive that I actually let names go rather than pursue things. I did't expect to end up with Korean Registries with no proper website or have requests for transfer constantly ignored or obstructed. I have, however, now consolidated my holdings and I am able to manage them comparatively well. I do, however, like to feel that the Registrar is acting on my behalf rather than potentially looking after his own interests potentially at my expense.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Directi my other main registrar states:

Once a Domain Name is Deleted, the Domain Name would slip into the Redemption Period ONLY if the domain name was manually deleted before the expiry date, or is deleted by the system after the Renewal Grace Period and does not have any backorder against it. In all other cases a deleted domain name cannot be renewed/restored/redeemed.

Well this clearly indicates that if there is a backorder against my domain then it is spirited away immediately it is deleted, which can be just 1 day after expiry as I understand it. This is exactly why I am saying there is effectively a security risk. The Redemption safety net that we all believed we had has effectively been spirited away! and now at Moniker of all places! Its enough to make you paranoid. I think its disgusting that awards are being handed out at all when we've effectively joined some macabre game of devil take the hindmost, without even being properly advised of the fact.

Dave Wrixon

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm surprised Monte has not demanded yet that this deceptive title be changed.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
I'm surprised Monte has not demanded yet that this deceptive title be changed.

Well personally I think it is hypocritical to promote yourself as the most secure register on the net, if you are partaking in this business of acquiring and auction off domains on expiry. I do not therefore see the title as being deceptive.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to side with Dave when he says there is conflict of interest for registrars and they do not always act in the registrant's interest.
Still, I don't think it is a problem peculiar to Moniker.

Let's face it, the redemption game has turned into a farce. Like it or hate it.
As should have been expected ICANN is now meddling into it.
The rules of the game are changing, but not always for the better.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The title was referring to an alleged "security concern" issue about Moniker, a reference strictly used when one's domains and/or account are in danger. Since this is not the case, the bubble of this post has deflated. This is not a new practice; see Enom, GoDaddy etc. It's fair play.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
The title was referring to an alleged "security concern" issue about Moniker, a reference strictly used when one's domains and/or account are in danger. Since this is not the case, the bubble of this post has deflated. This is not a new practice; see Enom, GoDaddy etc. It's fair play.

Actually, I disagree. It is a security issue and that fact that registrars like Enom and Godaddy are doing it is no excuse. Neither of these professes to be the most secure registrar on the net. I think this is a case of wanting ones cake and eating it. If I was looking for Security, neither Enom or Godaddy would be my first port of call.

Dave Wrixon

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Whatever you're smoking Dave, I want some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom