Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Moral/Ethical Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
We will post a decison on the tomorrow am.

-=DCG=-

Thanks Adam.

I agree with Trentino - I don't really care what the decision is, as long as everyone knows what is/isn't acceptable we can all move on. I hope, at the very least, this thread has helped us create some new guidelines that will help both buyers and sellers on the forum.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for your other, pointless point...

as a domainer, i have sold profitable names and bought the same, which have continued to be profitable...on both ends.

So in a round about way, you're calling Adam's comments pointless? I refer you to his post below

http://www.dnforum.com/f147/never-buy-domain-knowledgeable-resller-thread-65439.html

One other point I'd like to make. The sales thread this originated from says that traffic went up really high on the 11th. Could that be because the show announced who the winner was on the 10th and those people were looking to find out who the winner was? I'd like to see the traffic now to see whether all of this was justified.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One other point I'd like to make. The sales thread this originated from says that traffic went up really high on the 11th. Could that be because the show announced who the winner was on the 10th and those people were looking to find out who the winner was? I'd like to see the traffic now to see whether all of this was justified.

Let's all just leave this thread alone until DCG oficially postes how he would like his forum given the thoughts, suggestions, and input of some of the members here in this thread. As for now, no sense beating a dead horse and beleaguring this topic. So let's just leave this thread at rest until DCG posts an addition(s) if any to the TOS.
Cheers to all

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just spent 20 minutes reading this thread....

Heres my thoughts

I have been a member here for Over a year and read this forum like its the domain bible,

I may not always post , but I do watch - Lots of sales threads,

Yes, At times GT seems like he posts alot

BUT GT also nows his stuff,

I have seen him expose many frauds on this board,

Instead of threating him with warning points ,

YOU should make him a MOD!

I dont even know him personally , But I can tell you this guy watches out for many members here,

I think he has many valid posts,

I also Agree with Adam,

If you have proof - then post it - There are so many scammers and sometimes the mods dont catch this stufff in time

I think GT should be welcomed as a MOd!

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think GT should be welcomed as a MOd!

I metioned early on in this post that perhaps a single mod might be needed to deal specifically with problamatic postes or thread intrusion. Perhaps GT is the guy... I can see him hard at work now :ranger:

:)

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Trentino said:
I metioned early on in this post that perhaps a single mod might be needed to deal specifically with problamatic postes or thread intrusion. Perhaps GT is the guy... I can see him hard at work now :ranger:

:)

I am Glad that you agree, GT would be a great MOD for these isssues

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks a bunch guys, always nice to see some support within the community :)

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In this particular situation, the info/stats provided looked good to me so I bought it. If I knew that the show is being canceled, I may have made a different decision.

i think this sums it all up.

in the sellers mind, "sorry dude, you should have done more research...it's not like I'm selling it for $,$$$"

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am Broker of Real Estate in the USA, Connecticut, very expensive state, stay away if you can. LOL. This whole Buyer beware, "Caveat emptor", is bad business for the industry. Years ago, the real estate industry dealt with this issue and the Realtor organization issued rules for it's membership, ethics laid out plain and simple. Most professional organizations has such rules that guide them, lawyers, realtors, physcians, etc... Let's not mince words here. While the buyer may have to do his/her own research that is something we all agree on but that does not in any way limit the seller's responsiblity to DISCLOSE ALL MATERIAL FACTS including knowledge of potentail decline in traffic. Let's say this was a house for sale, if I was going to sell the house and the state said we might put a highway near the house and if I knew this or even if I don't it is my job to know this and tell all potential buyers that the state MIGHT put up a hightway. Now, that state might never put up a highway, so do I have to tell the buyers? Or do I tell them to do their own research. WHAT? That's absurd, you have to tell the buyers even of the potenial. So, in best practice we would all be better off in here to be ethically 100% pure and disclose ALL the fact that may affect traffic or may not affect traffic. Otherwise we run the risk of being a shady underground organization and we will never be in the mainstream business world with shady ethics and standards for our members. Once the seller has disclosed all fasts THEN it is the buyer's resonsiblity to assume the risk WITH FULL DISCLOSURE of all facts NOT before. I will not comment this entire incident but I will say most of us have tried to drop deadweight domains, the question is how we do it. If your Realtor sold you a house with a highway in the future you would sue him/her, why is it different for domains. Adam and the mods here can demand that sales thread achieve a higher ethical standard by the Seller, in my opinion it is not optional, if we don't require our members to do right then we cannot expect outside business people to take the domain industry or DNforum seriously and we're all a bunch of kiddies playing in the sandbox. I expect more from all of us, I think we're all decent folks in here and we can demand the best from ourselves, let's raise the bar, let's lift the standards of our membership and be above the fray so that no one on the outside can question our intent. Cheers,

Acro

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion:
Start by giving the seller the benefit of the doubt. Send a P.M. with your concerns or post a question such as "Is there a time-sensitive event that is driving this traffic?" That will allow them the opportunity to correct the information without being called out publicly.

I recently saw a new member trying to sell at dot.net after recieving a C&D on the dot.com version of the same name. My first impulse was to call him out, but instead I sent a P.M. and told him he was going to ruin his reputation here and could get in a bad legal position. I think it is the more honorable thing to do unless someone has shown a track record of unethical behavior.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they have a bad track record here, then they should not be here anymore right.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After reviewing the thread, I stand by my original post.

In order to protect buyers and sellers,

When posting a thread, the seller must be willing to accept questions or concerns about their products they are selling. This includes question relating to traffic. So that sad, if someone has a legitimate concern, the may post in the thread. The seller will defend his domain or website without issue if the are legitimate. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Now challenge a seller without a reason and it is the challenger that will be warned and possibly banned if they are a repeat offender.

Make sure you have your facts straight before you back someone into a corner. Proof must be submitted along with the accusation or don't bother. As in life the odds are against the challenger, the seller will be innocent until proven guilty.

The TOS will reflect this change and the mod team will be notified.

-=DCG=-

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you Adam, that's the way it should be.

Hopefully everyone is clear on these new policies and as such DNF will become even a better community and place to buy and sell names and websites.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
GTWeb should absolutely not be a Moderator. He goes overboard and absolutely does "not" know his stuff, as someone just suggested that he does. I haven't been on the boards much in the last month or so, partly because GT Web lurks everywhere and makes it much less of a place with his presence.

Just last evening I posted a tremendous name...PAT.com and GTWeb immediately jumped in the thread and said: "May I ask a question, how come the Whois says last updated on April 13th"? He was suggesting there might be a problem with ownership. Of course, if he looked up any of his names at the same time they all would have said the same thing.

The day he becomes a moderator is the day I seriously consider leaving the forum. I got a warning point for my response to him and it was well worth it. He should start his own forum if he wants to boss everybody around.

He brings out the worst in people time and time again and I could not possibly have a lower opinion about him. He once made a comment that 90 percent of the people he goes after end up getting banned. Make him a Moderator at your own risk.....he basically operates as a Moderator anyways so you might as well go for it and see what happens.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
GTWeb should absolutely not be a Moderator. He goes overboard and absolutely does "not" know his stuff, as someone just suggested that he does. I haven't been on the boards much in the last month or so, partly because GT Web lurks everywhere and makes it much less of a place with his presence.

Just last evening I posted a tremendous name...PAT.com and GTWeb immediately jumped in the thread and said: "May I ask a question, how come the Whois says last updated on April 13th"? He was suggesting there might be a problem with ownership. Of course, if he looked up any of his names at the same time they all would have said the same thing.

The day he becomes a moderator is the day I seriously consider leaving the forum. I got a warning point for my response to him and it was well worth it. He should start his own forum if he wants to boss everybody around.

He brings out the worst in people time and time again and I could not possibly have a lower opinion about him. He once made a comment that 90 percent of the people he goes after end up getting banned. Make him a Moderator at your own risk.....he basically operates as a Moderator anyways so you might as well go for it and see what happens.

No, what happened was you totally overreacted to a very simple question. I did not say you did anything wrong or call you names (as you did to me) or anything of the sort, I simply asked why the whois database had been updated just hours before you posted the name for sale.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match between us. Instead of swearing at me and calling me obscene names, a simple answer to the question would have sufficed.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please don't turn this into a match about mods, you need to remember they have mods already. Going forwards the owner made a choice here, that changes the way auctions are run. We need to keep with that subject, it's a big one that should help everyone moving ahead.

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tas38 said:
Please don't turn this into a match about mods, you need to remember they have mods already. Going forwards the owner made a choice here, that changes the way auctions are run. We need to keep with that subject, it's a big one that should help everyone moving ahead.

I agree....ADAM spoke now we should all Listen to him...

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If we're nominating moderators, I think $$$/Limit$/NameLegend/Collinsbiz should be a moderator(s). I miss that/those guy(s).

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
If we're nominating moderators, I think $$$/Limit$/NameLegend/Collinsbiz should be a moderator(s). I miss that/those guy(s).

That was just a stupid waste of a post

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I 2nd that waste of a post, of course he did get $F3 for it though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom