Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Name for a Domain News Site

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could look at one other route. The Associated Press (the top news wire service) is at ap.org. I have NDJ.org, so I could use the three letter domain as an acronym for something like New Domain Journal (wouldn't use the N for National because this would be a worldwide audience). I thought that might be a little too stuffy though. 3-letter domains are easy to remember though. Do you like this better than DotBeat.com?

I have to hit the sack, but those of you who are in different time zones and still on board, please post your ideas or PM me. I'll check back in tomorrow. Thanks to all and to all a good night!

P.S. I just heard from a graphic artist who would do the logo. He likes DotBeat - says its short and snappy and would lend itself to good graphic use.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lotsofissues
Just out of curiousity, can you tell us about your journalism days?

I went to broadcasting school and got my start in radio (and did a newspaper column). Moved on to TV 3 years later and was a news and sportscaster on ABC and CBS TV affiliates in Florida for 15 years before leaving to start my own business (music retail stores). I recently resumed working in media as the director of communications (mostly media relations) for a new company that represents over 1000 national celebrities in sports, entertainment, arts and literature. My deal with that company also allows me to continue my internet business projects.

I spend a lot of my time writing press releases aimed at national publications and media outlets, so I could produce quality material for the site I am thinking about - one that I think could become very popular in the domain community.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by garyted51
www.DotGazette.com?

Hey Gary!

DotGazette presents the same issue as DotBeat.com.

Would people verbally misunderstand and think you mean .beat.com? That's not even a domain but I'm just asking.

However, DomainGazette.com was available and Gazette literally means newspaper (my hometown paper was the Delaware Gazette). I may not use it but I went ahead an regged it as a back up. If I end up using it I'll send you 20 dnb for sparking the idea!

DotBeat.com or DomainGazette.com (or ndj.org as an acronym)? Any preferences or additional ideas?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domaingazette.com is nice....

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A little old fashioned maybe and a good bit longer than dotbeat, but not confusing in any way. I could probably use some modern graphics so it wouldn't look too stodgy - but then if I go and run a cover story on GregR the whole look is blown out of the water anyhow! :)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domainnews.ws

Just kidding.....(now somebody's gonna go reg it....please don't):eek:

Gumby

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dotbeat = deadbeat... :)

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think DomainGazette.com is very good. Here's another along those lines.

DomainInformer.com

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ooops... forget about DomainInformer.com. I typed it in wrong when I checked it. It's already regged

K

kingdon

Hey Duke, Here's what I'm thinking. If I say the name to another person who isn't cutting edge internet savy "Spell DotBeat.com for me" I'm betting they might have to think for a second. I think your idea is great, sorry I didn't give you any suggestions before (I know how empty my comments must have seemed with only criticism) So here is something I think would work for your idea, and it's available, WebWayNews.com This to me is not very complicated and still direct, and I think it has a catchy rhythm to it. Who knows, you might be able to catch the WWN.com some day to polish it off. Other than that, good luck and to greater success.

Don

P

President Gringo

pitty you can't get dnn.com (domain name news, plus it sounds like cnn :p )

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the "dot"/'.' confusion...

slashdot is an extremely popular site and that could easily be misconstrued as "/." (slash '/' dot '.').

dot has a nice punchy sound to it and of course sounds at home in a domain (like www its something people get used to after just a little exposure to the net.

Ciq

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dot vs DN as a prefix for a domain news site?
I'd pick DN - less confusion.

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use the hosting provider doteasy.com and regularly say the address to people (not necessarily to wholeheartedly recommend them, I might add). Nobody has asked me to spell it yet.

How about this one? addresstheweb.com

P

President Gringo

Originally posted by revsorg
I use the hosting provider doteasy.com and regularly say the address to people (not necessarily to wholeheartedly recommend them, I might add). Nobody has asked me to spell it yet.

How about this one? addresstheweb.com

and theres a popular site called dotmusic.com

I wouldn't worry about the dot confusion either.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by doberry
a name with beat is good.
What about beat.org? I could do you a good price hehe ;)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
What about beat.org? I could do you a good price hehe ;)

Beat it Beachie! :)

But thanks for the offer!

Thanks for all of the input everyone. If you haven't weighed in please do so. What I will probably do is listen to more comments today then run a poll tomorrow with the two I've regged and maybe 3 or 4 of the better suggestions from all of you.

Let me sweeten the pot for all of the brainpower you are expending on this. I will send 200 DNBucks to anyone if I end up using a name you post. I told GaryTed51 I would give him 20 for giving me the DomainGazette idea when he suggested DotGazette. I'll up that to 100 if I end up using it since he gave 50% of the name!

Kingdon - I didn't take you initial post as being critical at all - I thought it was very helpful - I just missed why DotBeat could be confusing - which gourd cleared up. That is the kind of thing I need to consider and I appreciate you pointing it out. In this case negative reactions to any of the names could help me as much as positives.

One thing about Domain Gazette is that it is a newspaper term while I was thinking more along the lines of a magazine that is more short feature oriented. There are a lot of newspaper names available like DomainTribune.com, etc. Of course any .com name that is available for registration at this stage is going to have some minuses.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just came across another name that I like:

DomainLetter.com

In addition to being a site you can visit for current domain news, interviews, personality profiles, etc. The Domain Letter would offer a newsletter service for those who don't want to have to keep checking back at the site all of the time. When there are new editions, you would get a capsule summary by mail - the Domain Letter would be the ultimate Newsletter for domain freaks.

The name is generic, easy to remember, has mutiple uses (site and email) and nothing in the title that is confusing. Plus we are all concerned with the letters in our domain names (obsessed might be more like it) How does this name stack up against Dotbeat.com and DomainGazette.com in your view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators