Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

namecheap.com ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We've been using NameCheap.com for the past 2 years. Their customer service is excellent.

I'm not sure what the other member was talking about but they send warning messages 30 days before your name is to expire. When you log into your account you ALSO see how many names you have expiring within the next 30 days.

As far as the reseller services, they're run by eNom not
NameCheap so there is no need to trash NameCheap because of that.

True, you can get names cheaper at other places, but we've been really happy with the features provided with every account and with the customer service.

C-Ya
Luc L.

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an eNom resller account, how can I do what namecheap.com does and make a sub account so other people could be resellers?

DomainSage....

If you have a reseller account through eNOM, just login and click on the RESELLERS link to the left...... Then SUBACCOUNTS..... Then CREATE A NEW SUB ACCOUNT..... and there you go...... you will have to go in and set the pricing and also switch the account for the default RETAIL account to a RESELLER Account....

Hope this helps.....

Laurie - Beyond Domains
http://BeyondDomains.com

cpr

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
:confused:
don't understand comments re:namecheap providing bad customer service
mine has always been EXCELLENT!

ricardo2002

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was reffered to this forum by one of our customers at namecheap.com . I find some of the posts on on this thread as classless and self serving. If you had a problem with our services that is absolutely fine to post your experience but to criticize our services and then self promote yourself lacks class and integrity. Not to mention the rest of the self spamming that is going on in this thread. How and why it is allowed by the the moderators here is beyond me and only serves to takeaway from the legitimacy of these forums. I will not bother to post here again. I reccommend to anyone that is actually looking for honest advice and comments about domain registration, resellers, appraisals etc.. to take a look at the forums at www.webhostingtalk.com . Atleast their moderators recognize and do something about self spamming and promotion. To our customers we thank you for your continued support.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ricardo2002
...Not to mention the rest of the self spamming that is going on in this thread. How and why it is allowed by the the moderators here is beyond me and only serves to takeaway from the legitimacy of these forums.

...I reccommend to anyone that is actually looking for honest advice and comments about domain registration, resellers, appraisals etc.. to take a look at the forums at www.webhostingtalk.com . Atleast their moderators recognize and do something about self spamming and promotion.

Webhostingtalk is a fine forum, but its emphasis is on hosting and domain are not its primary focus. I find the postings and information here to be more in-depth, and to be based more on real world experiences. Yes, there is advertising, but that can be part of the learning process as well.

If I had a buck for every forum thread I've read where a representative of a company swings by to post a oneshot response like this, I could buy myself a nice new laptop. It's pretty easy to stop in, trash the forum, and say goodbye. How about you stick around, respond, and contribute. And get a spell checker. :D

Cheers,
BD
blatant newbie

cpr

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
big dave
I can understand what you are saying about 'drive by' posts
but I can also guarentee that is not what ricardo/Richard of Name Cheap would normally do
His customer service & honesty is beyond reproach
He prides himself in his service
I'm sure there are times he has missed an email - been overwhelmed or unavailable for some personal reason - he is human
If I felt free to give out names, without breaching privacy, I promise you in a heartbeat there would be at least 10 big players in the domain biz that would agree with me regarding his business practices.....
if you're the kind of person that is happier with the 'big' sometimes not as honest guys like register.com/namebargain.com then go for it
jmo

cpr

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
bigdave
btw
"...if you're the kind of person that is happier with the 'big' sometimes not as honest guys like register.com/namebargain.com then go for it..." was not aimed speciffically at you :)

also another btw
I'm married to a guy named Dave that people caLL big dave!:)

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cpr
bigdave
btw
"...if you're the kind of person that is happier with the 'big' sometimes not as honest guys like register.com/namebargain.com then go for it..." was not aimed speciffically at you :)

also another btw
I'm married to a guy named Dave that people caLL big dave!:)

No problemmo, I didn't take your comment personally.

A lot of good companies take unfair criticism on boards like this. It's unfortunate, but it is a fact of the Internet age. I have no doubt that namecheap is a good operation that makes the occasional mistake as all of us humans do!

But I did think his criticism of the forum was unfair, and really would have liked for him to stick around and respond to the folks who had specific complaints. A forum thrives on interaction, and he probably has a lot he could contribute here.

There certainly are some problem companies around. I had a couple of hassles with registerfly (I know :sad: ), and just signed up for an enom subreseller account with dixiesys. Like namecheap, dixiesys has had the occasional flame on a couple of boards, but the majority of Gary's customers are very happy. Gary came onto a couple of the boards, responded to the complaints, and answered other questions. In the process, I believe he picked up some new customers. Plus he's a local boy here in North Alabama, so it keeps my bucks in the area...

Anyway, no harm, no foul as they say.

Cheers :D
BD

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How can you make money with PDQ when it charges you .95 cents for each transaction plus a 3% fee??? How are you guys making money??

Originally posted by DomainSage
How can you make money with PDQ when it charges you .95 cents for each transaction plus a 3% fee??? How are you guys making money??

By not believing that the only way to sell domains is to discount them so deeply that there's no profit left. For starters.

At $14.95/year, even the smallest of eNom's resellers who pay around $9 wholesale can still make something on the deal. Those who aren't trying to compete with the deep discounters and who have the courage to charge what domains, by rights, probably should cost -- $19.95/year, in my opinion -- can make plenty of profit using PDQ.

It's just those who insist that domains should cost $10 or less who find PDQ to be financially troublesome. And I say if they're going to be in the market at that low of a price, then they're on their own.

I'm personally saddened to see what's happened to the domain market. Just imagine something so useful as a domain name giving a person -- especially a person with a busy, profitable web site -- all that utility and service for an entire year and then them being upset that they have to pay more than $10 for it. It's ridiculous.

I charge $14.95 to $19.95 per year, and for one of my value-added domain registration services I charge $24.95 per year and I'm fine. And so are my customers -- of which I have plenty to suit me. And none of them are posting bad things in forums like this about the quality of my support as we see happening with those who typically do charge less than $10 per year.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Not everyone competes on price. There are a lot of $8.50 - $9 registration sellers that you can't compete with on price when you use PDQ.

However, the general public is much more aware on Network Solutions and Register.com who still charge an arm and a leg. They don't know about or have time to research all of the cheaper sellers the way most of us in this forum do. If you can reach them through your own channels and offer registration for $10-$15 it still looks like a good deal compared to the NetSol prices most of them have heard about.

I just opened a PDG account today. I set my pricing at $11.99 and will try marketing my site through my other web sites that are related to web site design, hosting and name selling. I can't yet tell you if it will make me any money, but the upfront cost of going through a good reseller like I did - rather than directly through Enom - was low enough to make it worth a shot for me. Besides I can now buy names for myself at $7.10 each. I was paying $8.88, so that savings alone will quickly pay for the annual $99 PDQ fee.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Incidently, to add to what I posted above, after paying Enom including all of the transaction fees, my profit margin at $11.99 retail is 47%. Having been in the retail business for many years I can tell you that is an excellent markup, especially considering how little work is involved once your are set up (other than promoting your site). You also don't have the cost of carrying inventory (that often goes stale) that retailers have to deal with.

Namecheap, several people have expressed concerns about your service.

this is exactly the kind of information that domainers use to make judgement calls so it might have been more useful and constructive to have addressed the complaints made rather than blame the board and moderators.

If you are having complaints made, you have a problem - regardless of the existence of this board or not.

People will draw their own conclusions.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments re namecheap. I have used them for two years and never had a problem. Their expiring section is one of the best I've seen. So much easier than the emails. And the only times I had problems the email response was within an hour!

I would rate them as excellent and the price is superb. At least from our end:D

Stouch

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for their excellent service too

zoltan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What support / service do you guys / girls need from a domain registrar? Once your domain is registered, you get a control panel (enom accounts) where you can change everything you want.

Just trying to get into discussions.

I'm also a reseller of enom, but mainly for my own domains and also offering reseller rates. I'm thinking to offer retail prices also, but I'm not sure yet if that would be a good solution. Until I can make good money with reseller accounts, there is no need to get into retail business.

So, back to question: what are the most commonly asked questions by persons who register domain names?

It's extremely competitive - so need to look at what volumes you would need to make it worthwhile and the effort you can put in to achieving and maintaining that.

To me, one of the most important factors is whether the company I deal with will still be in business in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom