Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

NameWinner Catches A Monster!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who is spending all that money on this kind of names? I will give them 10 names better than that for this price.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
eNom now requires positive identification of anyone who wishes to bid more than $200 on a name. If a bid is not paid, we can then ban you from bidding in the future, and with positive ID required, creating throw-away accounts is not an option.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a start. I'd love to hear your ideas on what else we could do (including, please, how it would be done. It's one thing to say "ban them" but another to explain how we know who "them" are).

Well for starters, if they back out once, ban them, but also maybe you need to make the sales final. If they bid, and then don't buy, it would be grounds for a lawsuit, but you need it in the agreement. That way noone can say well he didn't have to pay.

Just put in your agreement that all sales are final, and any atemps at getting out of it will get them both banned and a lawsuit for the amount of the sale.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And how would you enforce a contract if the customer is in Russia?

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My suggestion: Lock the bidders account with all their domains. That should stop the fake bids & non-payments.

For example boys.net has been through the auction cycle 3 times already.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TopNames.com said:
My suggestion: Lock the bidders account with all their domains. That should stop the fake bids & non-payments.

For example boys.net has been through the auction cycle 3 times already.
It's b0ys.net I think and your suggestion is pretty insane imo. They can't simply lock their client's domains up.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
It's b0ys.net I think and your suggestion is pretty insane imo. They can't simply lock their client's domains up.

It's not insane...what's insane is the number of domains not being paid for which affects all of us who took the time to research the drops and had the opportunity to bid on the domain in a private auction. Then when the bidder fails to pay, it goes to public auction where any wingnut can bid. Not to mention Enom lists the domain at the non-payment price. It *should* go back to "0" or to at least the next bidders highest price before the fake bids were applied.

Today UniversityofMiami.com closed at $9,900. I stopped bidding at $6,100 (Christopher Ambler can verify my bid) because I thought the bidder might just be pumping up the price...so now it's starting to hit Enom in the pockets as well. I know I'm not the only one holding back because this has been discussed by a few buyers. The buyer was real...but we didn't know that at the time.

I still think Pool does it the best by awarding it to the 2nd highest bidder. This is the most equitable way of awarding a domain when the high bidder fails to pay.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was referring to locking the client's domains up.

I would doubt if that could be done without a large risk.

pleasedelete

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still think Pool does it the best by awarding it to the 2nd highest bidder. This is the most equitable way of awarding a domain when the high bidder fails to pay.

I agree

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for restricting the creation of new accounts.

please enforce.

i appreciate that step.

page howe

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TopNames.com said:
It's not insane...what's insane is the number of domains not being paid for which affects all of us who took the time to research the drops and had the opportunity to bid on the domain in a private auction. Then when the bidder fails to pay, it goes to public auction where any wingnut can bid. Not to mention Enom lists the domain at the non-payment price. It *should* go back to "0" or to at least the next bidders highest price before the fake bids were applied.

Today UniversityofMiami.com closed at $9,900. I stopped bidding at $6,100 (Christopher Ambler can verify my bid) because I thought the bidder might just be pumping up the price...so now it's starting to hit Enom in the pockets as well. I know I'm not the only one holding back because this has been discussed by a few buyers. The buyer was real...but we didn't know that at the time.

This is exactly right, I have serious second thoughts about paying for a high priced name at ENOM now because there is no faith that I am paying the fair market value price, which is the price an honest auction should create.

We should be paying $10 or $100 over what another person would PAY when we win a domain, not what some scammer ran the name up to.

Unfortunately, with Enom allowing this and some even believing they are in the mix bidding themselves, there will probably never be a resolution to this problem because now there is no trust.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nitronet said:
Unfortunately, with Enom allowing this and some even believing they are in the mix bidding themselves, there will probably never be a resolution to this problem because now there is no trust.

I have yet to hear a single person go on record as saying that they believe that eNom bids up its own names.

Do you believe this? Does anyone wish to go on record as believing this? Because by saying that, you're making a pretty big accusation, especially after I've said, categorically, that it doesn't happen.

So are you prepared to level the accusation, or produce someone who is? If not, saying "some even believing..." is just you making that up.

Anyone?

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
I have yet to hear a single person go on record as saying that they believe that eNom bids up its own names.

Do you believe this? Does anyone wish to go on record as believing this? Because by saying that, you're making a pretty big accusation, especially after I've said, categorically, that it doesn't happen.

So are you prepared to level the accusation, or produce someone who is? If not, saying "some even believing..." is just you making that up.

Anyone?

Chris,

I'm not saying ENOM is the one running up the prices. I think it's people who have no intention of paying for the domain and are screwing up the auction on purpose or people who won the auction and then change their mind and don't pay...which is creating the "trust" issue.

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are bidding but I've certainly heard people in the forums mention that they think they might be.

I said some believe this is happening and I'm sure some do.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nitronet said:
I don't think they are bidding but I've certainly heard people in the forums mention that they think they might be.

I said some believe this is happening and I'm sure some do.

I haven't heard a single person say that they think this. You are intentionally trying to cast doubt, and it's not appreciated.

If anyone truly believes this, please speak up!

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
I haven't heard a single person say that they think this. You are intentionally trying to cast doubt, and it's not appreciated.

If anyone truly believes this, please speak up!

I certainly do not believe that Enom would shill bid its own auctions. Enom is the best company of its kind, IMHO. I appreciate that Enom still has a reasonable auction system and appears to be interested in making it better. I contrast this with Pool, who has made their auction system an abomination. Chris has certainly been trying to find consensus on ways to improve the Enom auctions in a way that would represent a win-win for bidders and for Enom. Chris, thanks for all that you do, including keeping us informed.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the way that pool works in some auctions some people believe that there are shill bids at pool.

Therefore it gets people suspicious and suspect the same of eNom.

I'm not sure about pool, but I don't suspect this of enom.

Perhaps some other companies are trying to sabotage the enom auctions to make it seem like there are shill bids at enom?

(just trying to think like mole :) )

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
birdie.com ($8,100 and 109 bidders) wasn't paid for and now is in public auction

So, 109 bidders and 1 person ruins it for all of them (including me). By the time I went to bid, it was over $5,000.

:-(

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whois-Search said:
With so many auctions going wrong at Enom someone must be doing it deliberately weather its an insider or an outsider

I'd love for you to prove that. I know that it's not inside, and if it's outside, I'd like to know who.

In other words, I think you're guessing. How about some facts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom