Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

namewinner is going crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

icannt

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
dozens of domains with bids around $2000, even many marginal ones, like clubtime.com, thebreeze.com, and capetours.com, which would usually get little more than only a minimum bid. Smells fishy.

Domain Summit 2024

Flex1

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of names on my list which suddenly all had $2,002 bids. And none off them was worth more than a max. of about $200 - $300 in my opinion. Some even not more than the start bid.

Truly strange!

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's got to be some error, or someone messing with their systems. I found several others with the same 2000+ bids. Can't be right can it?

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check the other threads. Our friend Stuff has, unintentionally, been doing marketing for Namewinner. People are paying too much for many of these names and will end up losing money in the long run.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hiOsilver
Check the other threads. Our friend Stuff has, unintentionally, been doing marketing for Namewinner. People are paying too much for many of these names and will end up losing money in the long run.

nonsense..nobodys REALLY bidding that much for crap domains.. the ONLY people even aware of drop services are other domainers..people who know better.

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Flex1
I've had a couple of names on my list which suddenly all had $2,002 bids. And none off them was worth more than a max. of about $200 - $300 in my opinion. Some even not more than the start bid.

Truly strange!

Same here. Regional name worth a couple hundred with 2002.00 bid on it.

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Namewinner should come out with some new policy as I bet that majority of those bids are from people who won't even be able to pay for those names and they just destroy the market. I guess NW should either do bidding system for certain members or do what DW and Snap does.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point here should be that members of DNF should have enough sense to not post info that is deleterious to most members. What Stuff and everyone else here should be able to see is that publicizing these names just before they drop benefits the drop services, Namewinner in particular, at the expense of everyone else. The idea that posting this info would not raise bids defies simple logic and experience. If someone from Namewinner were doing this, we would be complaining that they are doing this for their commercial gain and should be banned from DNF. Namewinner has a high degree of integrity, so I doubt that they would be so greedy.

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point here should be that members of DNF should have enough sense to not post info that is deleterious to most members. What Stuff and everyone else here should be able to see is that publicizing these names just before they drop benefits the drop services, Namewinner in particular, at the expense of everyone else. The idea that posting this info would not raise bids defies simple logic and experience. If someone from Namewinner were doing this, we would be complaining that they are doing this for their commercial gain and should be banned from DNF. Namewinner has a high degree of integrity, so I doubt that they would be so greedy.

Exactly!!. I agree with you there 100%. This is just not fair. I personally am curious that if someone who did bid at $2000 or more actually got the domain and paying for it? I am talking about domains such as creditcardguide.com and those alike.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver - I understand your point and even agree with it to a certain extent - BUT.... if we censor people from posting the names - then even more people complain that we should not be limiting 'Free Speech' & 'Public Information'. So regardless of what we do - there will be a certain percentage of people who are unhappy.
The point here should be that members of DNF should have enough sense to not post info that is deleterious to most members.
Unfortunately - it is impossible to make 'common sense' a rule. I wish we could.

We are always open to suggestions though. :)

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My guess is it has to do with the new bulk bidding feature.

It makes it so easy to upload a list of 1000 names and proxy bid it to $2000 because "if the bidding goes that high, it must be worth it". Only problem is when two people get that same idea.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

???????????????? The point is the lists are not harmful to any member ..if the bids are real (highly skeptical) then in fact just the opposite effect will happen and the aftermarket prices will rise..therby HELPING the members of DNF..

perhaps..instead of complaining about the rising "bids" on Namewinner and blaming it on Stuff people should use a service with a set price.

If anything the increasing bids are in direct relation to Namewinners very recent success in picking up drops...

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
My guess is it has to do with the new bulk bidding feature.

It makes it so easy to upload a list of 1000 names and proxy bid it to $2000 because "if the bidding goes that high, it must be worth it". Only problem is when two people get that same idea.

This is exactly what is happening. Good call -RJ-

Flex1

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since there were that much names with exactly the same bid of $2,002 it's possible that someone made a fault with the new bulk bidding feature.

Regarding the good performance of NW lately, they will probably catch more than one of these. So tomorrow we should see after the whois update, whether these bids were made by fault (or a 'funny' guy who has not intention to pay) or if there actually exists a bidder who takes a couple of names for $2,002 each.

Btw., if the highest bidder doesn't pay, who gets the name? The bidder with the next highest bid?

In this case all one needs to buy good names cheap are 2 NW accounts:

No. 1 to place regular (i.e. $25.-) bids for some nice names. And No. 2 to place 'heavy $2,002' bids on the same names right afterwards. If there is nobody else bidding more on these names, and the high bidder doesn't pay after successfull catches, the account No. 1 gets nice names for a bargain.

Of course that would be very mean against other bidders who might have bid more than $25 (but less than $2,002!), and NW as well because they would have been able to make (much) more profit.

I don't think that anyone is playing such a game. But it will do no harm to take a closer look at the whois changes of these $2,002 names

PS: Do I get my first(!) DN Bucks for this 'innovative' bidding idea?

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Flex1,

Your innovative idea will get you banned at Namewinner. Failure to pay for names that you win on is obviously bad for NW. Faking everyone else out is simply dishonest.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Namepopper,

I am not calling for censorship. I am simply asking that those who make posts that hurt the community think about what they are doing, and hopefully they will cease. Now we have people looking for ways to game Namewinner. Anyone want to post some ways of hacking Namewinner and Snapnames? (no, I am not serious).

As for Bidawinner, the champion for posting harmful info, we can only hope that he takes some time to think about this and maybe he will figure it out. It really is up to Stuff, who has made the posts, and he has already posted that he realizes the problem with his posts. And, I gave examples of bid prices of names well below the $2002 level that give evidence that things are heating up. I know that it is not all due to Stuff, but why would anyone want to contribute to escalating bids on NW (other than NW, or competitors, that is)?

It should be clear that as NW prices rise, then more snaps are taken out. I did that myself today. As the price of a name I wanted rose on NW, I took out a snap. Normally, I would have been content to hang in there with NW. Similarly, as more snaps are taken out, prices will rise on NW.

That frenzied bidding translates into higher prices paid by end users, as Bidawinner would like to happen, is wishful thinking. Of course, naive players enjoy selling names to other speculators for a $20 profit.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver, are You the owner of pood.com ?
I think I once contacted You, I wanted to buy this domain?
Did I get any replay from You?

Flex1

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver,

I was just thinking about possible reasons for these strange bids at NW. That's all!

If I would have found out how to add the intented smileys, it (maybe) would have been easier for you to discover that my 'innovative' bidding idea was just meant ironically.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Flex1,

Upgrade your membership and you get the smileys. I don't know if you can do :) with Gold, but you certainly can with Platinum :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom