Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Namewinner: Please tell me why!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciqala

I am also confused about what a 'det' is.

Sorry I mean december (in estonian language is it detsember, sorry, my mistake)

owndomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not clear of your situation with Namewinner.

But the fact with me is: Namewinner double billed my credit card. Now I am trying to get refunded.

Maybe this is New Year holiday, everyone is not fully engaged with his work?

toho

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stuff,

Yeah, NW System sometimes working not well.
They have been registered, but still open bidding.
Before, I lost some domains for time-out bidders.
This matter is so bad. Especially Non-NSI domains.
But now, I am not active user so I do not know well now.

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stuff, I'm still not 100% clear on what happened to you, but it doesn't matter. If something happened that you think is wrong, I'm sure it's a problem with the NameWinner system, and not an outright attempt to rip you off. I always did get the impression that the NameWinner system was in a constant state of development. Anyway, it's done well for me, along with the others of course.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
from what i now understand it sounds like the following may have happened...

dec 3rd: you try to register the domain but your credit card fails authorization and namewinner warn you of the fact in the screenshot you posted. the name is therefore not paid for so they do not complete the registration on it.

dec 4th: name is not technically registered as you did not complete your registration with your payment so the drop occurs and the new bidder (for $32.50 or whatever) gets the name and his c/c is billed succesfully so he gets ownership of the name.

I would read namewinners terms and conditions for the instant registration and i think you will find it backs up what i just said.

Ciq

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know, namewinner has worked good for me to!
Nothing against them, only why is this sytstem so ...

I today discovered this in my dotster account :
thats recent account activity. That shows that the name was registered by my me! They just didn`t bill my credit card, but the name was reegistered. And I think they should give me the name, because the name was registered 3 dec, not 4 dec, when someone outbid me?

Session Detail

Session rdCFYzaRLpMZ1EYTzpwT63mP

Property Value
Operation code: DOMAINORDER
accountname: v........
ordertype: NAMEWINNER
partnerid: 156147
siteid: 4798
owner_first_name: Gunther
owner_last_name: Veidenberg
owner_organization_name:
owner_address_line1: Kalvi 4-3
owner_address_line2:
owner_city: Viljandi
owner_zip: 71013
owner_state:
owner_country: EE
owner_email_address: [email protected]
owner_phone_number: +3725274859
owner_fax_number:
admin_id: 1998318
bill_id: 1998318
tech_id: 1998318
cc_type: Visa
cc_amount: 8.75
cc_number: ************1258
cc_exp: 12/02
cc_name: Gunther Veidenberg
cc_address: Kalvi 4-3
cc_city: Viljandi
cc_zip: 71013
cc_state: Viljandi
cc_country: EE
email: [email protected]
nameserver: ns1.nameresolve.com
nameserver: ns2.nameresolve.com
nameserver: ns3.nameresolve.com
nameserver: ns4.nameresolve.com
price: 8.75
encode: US-ASCII
domainname: AMLIE.COM
numberofyears: 1
ORDERID: 1009495
Completion Status: NOCCAUTH: Credit card authorization failed

This order did not complete for one or more of the following reason(s):
- Invalid credit card number or expired credit card
- Invalid credit card expiration date
- Invalid credit card verification number
- The name on the order did not match credit card holder name
- The order billing address did match credit card billing address
- The order billing address zipcode did not match credit card billing address zipcode
To resubmit this order you must update the credit card payment information for this order.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciqala

dec 3rd: you try to register the domain but your credit card fails authorization and namewinner warn you of the fact in the screenshot you posted. the name is therefore not paid for so they do not complete the registration on it.

Yes that may be true, but the name was registered 3 dec!
Credit card fails, the name is in theyre system (it is registered), I know it because I have similar problems, like findlawyer.net, cooldudes.net, the name will be registered by me, but they don`t bill me.

because I always run names with enom account to, the name was available for registration, so I clicked register in namewinner -- my mistake, I could have registered it with enom easily, but now I lost it.

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So it seems that because of a problem with your credit card, they gave the name to someone else. They reserve the right to do that in the registration agreement.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiftlock
So it seems that because of a problem with your credit card, they gave the name to someone else. They reserve the right to do that in the registration agreement.

Now I know (but when they have done that? I mea gave name to others? many good names are still Pending in namewinner, because the highest bidder didn`t pay, and they still wait that the highest bidder will pay for it)
But they didn`t say it, they said, that they registered it!
But it isn`t so?

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stuff - I guess the main fault of NW is their CC processing. I occasionally learned that they would not accept my valid VISA card anymore, just because it is issued in Eastern Europe with no AVS (address verification system) available. It seems they did not accept your valid card because of the same reason.
If they were cared about customers, they might bother to check
what is REAL reason of rejected purchase and either process it manually (requesting you to fax them some paperwork and the card image) or at least they had to contact you for alternative payment method.
Instead, they decided to get their money ASAP and thought - Ah! We have namewinner system! A good luck for us! Are there any bids on that domain? and there were bids..
So I guess you would NOT get this domain :(.
NW might at least thank you for forcing their slow system to register a domain with NW-bids on it.

If XXX registrar is used by some drop-catching system, this system can not and would never guarantee that the domain regged with XXX registrar belongs to this drop-catching system (even if the drop-catching system added it into their reg. query).
Each registrar can serve many customers at the same time...

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonyk2000
Stuff - I guess the main fault of NW is their CC processing. I occasionally learned that they would not accept my valid VISA card anymore, just because it is issued in Eastern Europe with no AVS (address verification system) available. It seems they did not accept your valid card because of the same reason.
If they were cared about customers, they might bother to check
what is REAL reason of rejected purchase and either process it manually (requesting you to fax them some paperwork and the card image) or at least they had to contact you for alternative payment method.
Instead, they decided to get their money ASAP and thought - Ah! We have namewinner system! A good luck for us! Are there any bids on that domain? and there were bids..
So I guess you would NOT get this domain :(.
NW might at least thank you for forcing their slow system to register a domain with NW-bids on it.

If XXX registrar is used by some drop-catching system, this system can not and would never guarantee that the domain regged with XXX registrar belongs to this drop-catching system (even if the drop-catching system added it into their reg. query).
Each registrar can serve many customers at the same time...

Yes thats true, when they had billed me for the domain right away I would have got it!

owndomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also got the reply from NameWinner:

Response (Seth) - 01/03/2003 05:11 PM
Hello Hu,

UNIVERSAL REGISTRATION SERVICES, INC. is Dotster.

The domain names are now in your account.

NameWinner will be good, if they can settle my credit card issue soon (double billed my card).

Hope so.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

stuff,

It could happen because your time is faster than US time. You may tried to reg it on Dec 3 which is Dec 2 in US. Then your Dec 4th you were outbid which is Dec 3 in the US and name got registered then. That's why the name reg on Dec 3 (US) not Dec 4 your time.

confused???

Also when credit card authentication fails, it's your responsibility to contact your credit card company or use another credit card to buy stuff. You don't expect the merchant to give you the thing first and charge you later, or contact you for that. Nobody does that.

owndomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe namewinner's credit card system has some bug.

I also encounters several failed orders informed by NameWinner, but my card is in good standing.

So I asked them to try it for a second time, so it is ok.

I never met any problem with Snapnames.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameWinner should let one know if a credit card fails, instead of just giving the name to someone else. Sometimes the credit card companies will decline, as they think it might be a fraudulent transaction (e.g. if the amount is higher than usual from that merchant, or if one had a lot of recent activity, etc.). Usually a quick telephone call solves things.

Giving the name to someone else, instead of letting the person arrange alternate payment (e.g. give a different card) seems very wrong to me.

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK
NameWinner should let one know if a credit card fails, instead of just giving the name to someone else. Sometimes the credit card companies will decline, as they think it might be a fraudulent transaction (e.g. if the amount is higher than usual from that merchant, or if one had a lot of recent activity, etc.). Usually a quick telephone call solves things.

Giving the name to someone else, instead of letting the person arrange alternate payment (e.g. give a different card) seems very wrong to me.

I agree with you George, and that has been my experience with Name Winner.

Everytime that Namewinner has had a problem charging my card, and it's always been some random problem like you describe, they have always given me plenty of time to talk to them about it, change the card, or whatever else needs to be done.

They have never taken a name that I am high bidder on and given it to another user, even when they have had problems with the card. Sometimes it's taken over a week to resolve the issue, but they still make sure I get the name in the end.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NW sucks imo. Their system appears to be chronically unstable and their method of allocation wide open to tampering.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK

I agree, but now the name is gone for me, and I can`t do nohing against it.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And thats really amazing, I in 3 dec, second name was also registered by me with one click registration utility macks.org, and this one also the same, but this one I did get, they billed me for it.

Session hGhEQBsGhbw3d1EnbvElLoQW

Property Value
Operation code: DOMAINORDER
accountname: veidenberg
ordertype: NAMEWINNER
partnerid: 156147
siteid: 4798
owner_first_name: Gunther
owner_last_name: Veidenberg
owner_organization_name:
owner_address_line1: Kalvi 4-3
owner_address_line2:
owner_city: Viljandi
owner_zip: 71013
owner_state:
owner_country: EE
owner_email_address: [email protected]
owner_phone_number: +3725274859
owner_fax_number:
admin_id: 1998318
bill_id: 1998318
tech_id: 1998318
cc_type: Visa
cc_amount: 8.75
cc_number: ************1258
cc_exp: 12/02
cc_name: Gunther Veidenberg
cc_address: Kalvi 4-3
cc_city: Viljandi
cc_zip: 71013
cc_state: EST
cc_country: EE
email: [email protected]
nameserver: ns1.nameresolve.com
nameserver: ns2.nameresolve.com
nameserver: ns3.nameresolve.com
nameserver: ns4.nameresolve.com
price: 8.75
encode: US-ASCII
domainname: MACKS.ORG
numberofyears: 1
ORDERID: 1009571
Completion Status: NOCCAUTH: Credit card authorization failed

This order did not complete for one or more of the following reason(s):
- Invalid credit card number or expired credit card
- Invalid credit card expiration date
- Invalid credit card verification number
- The name on the order did not match credit card holder name
- The order billing address did match credit card billing address
- The order billing address zipcode did not match credit card billing address zipcode
To resubmit this order you must update the credit card payment information for this order.

Do you want to edit the order and resubmit ?

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stuff, It's just the new service put in place to win names. Each name registered may have
bids placed during the "bid period" and the highest bid wins that name. If you are a third party and snagged the name with a partner registrar your account is credited the winning commissions (provided our credit card is valid) for that name and the name is silently transfered to the highest bid name winner. The "bid period"
starts upon any name registered except names that
are declared outside the "bid period". In order
to insure a fair bid process the "bid period" extends until all bids are accepted and checked for valid credit card entries and payments methods. This service saves lots of time on the part of the original name registrant because he only has to select a winning name and all the accounting and transfering is taken care of. Using this "blind trust" method and the "bid period" will insure all parties are treated fairly. You should have received a commission on the Dec 3 registration equal to the high bid less your bid
and any ICANN fees and other related handling cost. I'm sure once this new system gets greased and fully running we'll all be happy with the results. Never mind any credible method to verify that you have in fact registered the name and that the "bid period" extends into the long hours and days ahead, you should be proud that you were the first to place a bid on this name thus starting the "bid period". I'm sure as time goes on other registrars will want to use this most accurate and fair method to set a fair price for registrations. I can see a network of registrars taking bids during the "bid period" of every name registered. This could save all of us a lot of time. Just place your bid on the names of your choice and like a salvage auto parts network your names will be listed on thousands of socket war sites ready to duel it out. Of course the highest bid wins at the end of the "bid period" unless the "bid period" is extended. I believe that of the millions of names currently registered and active that the "bid period" may still be running. Of course you wouldn't know that until you placed your bid by "registering" the winning name. Your case here is just the start. Good luck on your next chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators