Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

New Top Level Domains!

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a very clear opinion on that: domainers have never been successful with 'alt' extensions.
New extensions are dubious in general, and the proliferation of new TLDs will only dilute low quality TLDs even more.

As an end user: no point in losing traffic and confusing (losing) customers with an oddball extension.
Imagine you're a travel agent and use a .travel only for your website. Unless you're selling trips to Mars I would think twice.
It's just a cash machine for the registries and the registrars :cheesy:

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wan.ker ;-)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Man, oh, man...total chaos.

Yup, look at those tally's - all FREE pre-registrations.

Who here believes that those prime words will be made available to the public? Each "new" registry is in it to make money. These are private enterprises. Undoubtedly all the prime letters, words, phrases will either be held back for personal use or auctioned, not to mention no one knows or is releasing the registration fee.

I do see some valid use of these, but only a few.

Beyond that, get ready for Internet Chaos 2.0

SBDomains

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's really strange.

I don't understand this whole pre-registration stuff at all.

Well ok, if it's free... Let's say it's free to pre register. So this means now I can go and pre-register everything and after that I will be able to pay only for those which I'm really going to take?

Pretty strange.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can hardly wait for the new gTLDs. They'll drive the value of my .coms up!

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Man, oh, man...total chaos.

Yup, look at those tally's - all FREE pre-registrations.
How soon before people start trying to sell these free pre-regs? :)

Who here believes that those prime words will be made available to the public? Each "new" registry is in it to make money. These are private enterprises. Undoubtedly all the prime letters, words, phrases will either be held back for personal use or auctioned, not to mention no one knows or is releasing the registration fee.
From what I've seen of recent launches, there are three staples:
1. The Registry makes the money.
2. The premium keywords and short domains are kept out of the reach of the average domainer.
3. The fanboys all think that their latest TLD is the best thing since the last one.

Beyond that, get ready for Internet Chaos 2.0
Actually there is a possibility that ICANN encouraged all these new gTLDs because the ccTLDs are growing so quickly that .com is being replaced as the leader in many country level markets.

Regards...jmcc

SBDomains

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of my best new TLD pre-registrations: About.movie, Chat.(AlmostEverything), Live.pad, Sports.earth and I guess my favorite - Lotto.money! :D

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I preregistered thisTLD.sucks

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its hard to say with any absolute certainty whether the new TLDs will be successful or not, but considering that there might be as many as 5000 new TLDs introduced in the next few years even if 10% of them become successful that has the potential to change the whole landscape of the domain Industry. There are some who are already getting prepared to take advantage of that new landscape, but it’s hard to say who is going to make it to the top before the game is over.

-

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The only way these new tlds stand a chance is if yet again domainers buy into the hype and buy them by the tens of thousands. Thing is the recession is still in full-swing and with so many dead on arrival extensions as of late the new ones face a long hard uphill climb. Then there is the whole matter of the general public picking up on them. Most will never get a single type-in visitor and will take buckets of cash to get branded. Still makes more sense to buy a .com or cctld and go from there imo.

Could get interesting if some get launched then make no money - sucks for those who took the landrush bait or built sites on them!

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The question now is, WHY would ICANN approve ALL these (some ridiculous imho) TLD's when there are so many new ccTLD's marketed as gTLD's now (.CO, .ME, .TV, etc.), not to mention .NET, .INFO, etc. that are not even "well-known" yet! :uhoh:
And CHECK OUT these "Other Proposed Top Level Domains":
.basel
.canon
.car
.deloitte
.hitachi
.post
.usa

.It's like applying for a "domain" AFTER the dot!
And .USA??? ...as if .US is not good enough?? :undecided:

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually there is a possibility that ICANN encouraged all these new gTLDs because the ccTLDs are growing so quickly that .com is being replaced as the leader in many country level markets.

not really

.com is the u.s. ccTLD
not officially, but de facto it is

it is used also in countries with expensive ccTLDs or restrictions
elsewhere ccTLDs are and always have been preferred
therefore there is no replacing .com

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The question now is, WHY would ICANN approve ALL these (some ridiculous imho) TLD's when there are so many new ccTLD's marketed as gTLD's now (.CO, .ME, .TV, etc.), not to mention .NET, .INFO, etc. that are not even "well-known" yet! :uhoh:

Why not, what does ICANN have to lose, it’s a win win situation for them, if the new TLDs work out ICANN will get the credit for having the right vision to have made it happen, and if the new TLDs fail and nobody uses them then they will soon be forgotten, but ICANN has already made their 185k a pop none refundable fee (which might add up to be close to a billion dollars if people start outbidding each other in the auction phase over the top keywords).

-

onehappyisland

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A day will come when any company can get anything after the dot imagine a day when aaa taxi comany can get aaa.taxi and bbb taxi company will get bbb.taxi a day will come when .com is worth nothing and extension ranking will be a thing of the past. Think of it as a yellowpages on a grand scale A pizza company will be .pizz and sofourth I have a feeling on this one.:eek:k:

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A day will come when any company can get anything after the dot imagine a day when aaa taxi comany can get aaa.taxi and bbb taxi company will get bbb.taxi a day will come when .com is worth nothing and extension ranking will be a thing of the past. Think of it as a yellowpages on a grand scale A pizza company will be .pizz and sofourth I have a feeling on this one.:eek:k:
I think you are on the right track here, it appears that is the global vision for the future. It will take many years to saturate but , I agree its on its way.
Its all about price and icann will keep dropping the cost , until I can afford my own ".Tedge" domains.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators