Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

New Top Level Domains!

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What happens when this happens:

1. Private Company Inc invests hundreds of thousands into launching a new gTLD, lets say .excitingnewgame
2. A few hundred people get excited and decide to give it a go for their new website and register TheirOwnName.excitingnewgame
3. A couple years down the road Private Company Inc goes bankrupt and is no longer there to manage the TLD or pay the yearly $25,000 icann fee
4. Maybe 5-10 people actually developed very high traffic sites, or invested in their own advertising to build up links, etc.. over the years
5. What happens now to those .excitingnewgame registrants and their websites?

Prospecting

Prospecting
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agreed, this decision muddies the water even further by making more options available, which drives value upward for generic .com's

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only people who will be happy are the ones who manage/own registeries.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What happens when this happens:

1. Private Company Inc invests hundreds of thousands into launching a new gTLD, lets say .excitingnewgame
2. A few hundred people get excited and decide to give it a go for their new website and register TheirOwnName.excitingnewgame
3. A couple years down the road Private Company Inc goes bankrupt and is no longer there to manage the TLD or pay the yearly $25,000 icann fee
4. Maybe 5-10 people actually developed very high traffic sites, or invested in their own advertising to build up links, etc.. over the years
5. What happens now to those .excitingnewgame registrants and their websites?

Someone like Afilias buy them for a $1

Example: dotMobi

xeus

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So many ccTLD's will be dropped including a number of DOT COMs. and so many small and medium sized companies will damage on it.
because of lack of fund since appears a new TLD....
it just contradict of ICANN. they are the GOD.but greedy...

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess by pre-registration, uniteddomains.com will know the most wanted domains, they will then register these hot domains as their own when they are available, finally make big money by selling or auctions!
Exactly what I was thinking

Together

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess by pre-registration, uniteddomains.com will know the most wanted domains, they will then register these hot domains as their own when they are available, finally make big money by selling or auctions!

I think this is a brilliant idea. We were actually looking at submitting a few applications for new TLD's and were thinking about how to determine the best ones to apply for. The group I am associated with has signiciant capital, a domain reg company with over 20 K customers. We actually reserved the domain www.TLDz.com some time ago to do something similar to this with.

Now if only we had a talented ambitious web development team to help us role out a similar service....

jacal1

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know this point has probably been made before, but why do we insist on calling these "tlds" anyway? What makes them "top level"? Can we call them "blds"?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The tld is the brand, the brand is the tld.

I can see this working very well for companies like .coke who want to introduce new flavors, coupons, other .coke products. This would end up being a trusted mark and site that eventually would make all the knockoffs and coke typo squatters irrelevant. Plus, .coke would be closed to outside registrations.

Done right, it can and would be a brilliant marketing move for major companies. No more stuff like coke.com/dietcherrycoke/coupon.

This is just an example but could apply to major manufacturers like auto makers (.ford, .gm, .bmw) to release all new products and messaging. In time, all other extensions in use by these companies and redirects would be retired. Manufacturers bltch about having to reg countless gtlds and cctlds to protect their brand. No more.

The brand is the name and the name is the brand.

Brilliant!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And how exactly do corporate TLDs render defensive registrations in gTLDs and cctLDs unnecessary ?
Until vanity TLDs are instilled into the minds of consumers cybersquatting will continue to be a problem imo.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Epic fail. Ask around, how much of the general public has even heard of .info .biz or .us...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And how exactly do corporate TLDs render defensive registrations in gTLDs and cctLDs unnecessary ?
Until vanity TLDs are instilled into the minds of consumers cybersquatting will continue to be a problem imo.
That is the whole point. Brands as big as these companies have the funds, the clout, and the channels (TV,Print,Internet) to create that consumer identity. I really do not see this being an issue whatsoever. Considering the hundreds of millions of dollars these brands spend on advertising annually, redirecting some of that funds to the brand url would not even be a consideration. It would simply make sense.

If the consumer (actually, not a matter of if but when) the consumer hears of a new product (cafe) or even sees one on the road (ie, car), in time (short time) they will instinctively know to go to .pepsi or .ford. Those URL's become the trust mark as well. People will know that they can trust www.New.coke, www.EV.ford, when the product is pitched.

There are already nearly 300 URL's in use. Soon, people WILL instinctively now NOT TO TRUST any other site other than the OFFICIAL SITE of the product. The product is the brand, the brand is the product, and the URL has built in TRUST FACTOR all over it.

Let's face it...there is a shift in usability already on the World Wide Web. Mobile Apps are driving an entire new generation of internet users. To think there are the same usability factors from year to year without any change in consumer habits and consumerism is living in the past and not seeing the forest for the trees. Literally, failure to have foresight or failure to study how humans interact with the internet will cause many to fall behind while allowing the competition to get ahead.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am already having fun at Overstock's attempts at creative TLD rebranding on .co... :cool:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think some are underestimating the power some of these brands have.

As for O.co, its being heavily promoted on cable channels. Anything that has to do with homes, remodeling, updating, construction, renovation...I see O.co on nearly everyone of these programs.

Look for major retailers to have their own tld. Not sure who would be first...but it will happen and others will follow suite The important thing is once one has it, the other will just have to have it as well. Then there will be no confusion typing in the URL. Plus, imagine if all URL's (or most) were simply their logo as an app...the red and white circles for Target. O for Overstock...and so on.

It is all about branding and consumerism and decreasing the amount of space and time to deliver the message and have that message received by the consumer. Whatever it takes and whatever works.

Usability and feasibility studies will skyrocket with this effort.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The question now is, WHY would ICANN approve ALL these (some ridiculous imho) TLD's when there are so many new ccTLD's marketed as gTLD's now (.CO, .ME, .TV, etc.), not to mention .NET, .INFO, etc. that are not even "well-known" yet! :uhoh:
And CHECK OUT these "Other Proposed Top Level Domains":
.basel
.canon
.car
.deloitte
.hitachi
.post
.usa

.It's like applying for a "domain" AFTER the dot!
And .USA??? ...as if .US is not good enough?? :undecided:

The BIGGEST winner of the "new" .gtld sweeps is VERISIGN...........they have paved the way for the .com/.net gtld king to sell existing IDN.com and IDN.net in various languages such as these (note these are not official translations, just speculations by native speakers).

Japanese:
.コム : .com
.ネット : .net

Russian:
.ком : .com
.нет : .net

Chinese:
.公司 : .com
.网络 : .net

Thai
.คอม : .com
.เน็ต : .net

Hebrew:
קום : .com
נט : .net

Arabic:
كوم : .com
نت : .net

Greek:
com : .κομ
net : .νετ

Hindi
.com : .कॉम
.net : .नेट

Tamil (India)
.com : .காம்
.net : .நெட்

Bengali (India)
.com : .কম
.net : .নেট

and dozens and dozens more...

Verisign has been planning this for years, it actually could have happened a good bit sooner if the "new" gtld posse didn't
hijack the idn.idn program a few years ago and porkbarrel their ".anything" gtld demands on ICANN and others.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think verisign is going to reign over all of these. I was under the impression that those IDN's are all different overseers.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think verisign is going to reign over all of these. I was under the impression that those IDN's are all different overseers.

The idn.idn ccTLDs will be handled by the different local registrars like CCNIC in China and JPRS in Japan.

Chuck Gomes at Verisign has indicated they have intent to apply for the transliteral or equivalent of .com and .net most of the major languages. Below is an article on this subject from Domain Name Wire and few quotes from an interview with Gomes from IDNBlog (note- I have no affiliation with either site).

DomainNameWire: "VeriSign’s Plans for “.Com IDNs” Become Clearer:

http://domainnamewire.com/2010/02/26/verisigns-plans-for-com-idns-become-clearer/

http://idnblog.com/2009/12/03/exclusive-qa-chuck-gomes-verisign/

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com